Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

calandryll posted:

That's called being passive-aggressive as hell. gently caress you for wanting to score unless you backcheck!

There is one guy who doesn't want to play D on my team. Only downside is he's defense. He'll skate up and then come back lazily and does gently caress all. I don't care that he skates up but at least help me out when it's 3 on 1.

Is he playing D because he (claims he) wants to play D, or just because he's a strong skater and feels like he "has to"? If the latter, I would suggest moving him up and replacing him with someone who may not be as strong in their skates but actually wants to play the position. Assuming someone like that is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Is he playing D because he (claims he) wants to play D, or just because he's a strong skater and feels like he "has to"? If the latter, I would suggest moving him up and replacing him with someone who may not be as strong in their skates but actually wants to play the position. Assuming someone like that is available.

He's not a strong skater. I think he plays D because he wants to, even though he's not very good at it. He's also the first to bitch at everyone for problems but doesn't realize that he's the problem a lot of the time.

As for the weird runners on Grafs. One of my teammate has them and they do sound weird.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It looks really easy to lose an edge on those

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bootcha posted:

Suppose that's an advantage of a draft system, rotate guys through your roster until you find a bunch of guys that play like you want them to, be it tryhard or chill.

Isn't that the point of a draft league, that you cannot just roster a bunch of guys ?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Have any of you guys ever used one of those cheapo Ali Express jerseys for drop-in? I need a white jersey for shinny and thinking of picking up one of a player that I like so people can chirp me when I play poorly.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
^ It's one thing to wear a player jersey at sticktime/drop-in/whatever, it's a whole different thing to wear a knockoff jersey (which hockey fans can spot a mile away). That might just be me being a jersey snob but fake jerseys stick out like a sore thumb if you follow the team.

calandryll posted:

As for the weird runners on Grafs. One of my teammate has them and they do sound weird.

I'm not saying the runners on Graf's are weird, they're just proprietary. I was just telling the story about how I came to discover "T'blades" which are extremely weird.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 25, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I don't see why it matters if it's fake, a jersey's a jersey. Honestly I'd feel weird wearing any of my actual team jerseys because they always felt to me more like an off-ice fan thing than an actual "play hockey in" thing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's drop in just wear whatever the gently caress you feel like wearing.

I wouldn't wear a crested jersey just because they're expensive as gently caress, but plain jerseys in team colors are cheap and look pretty cool.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Do yourself a favor and get the Full House themed hockey jersey for drop-in like I did.

https://sublimationkings.com/shop/the-rippers-blue-jersey/

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Goddamn lazy drop-in people who also suck a lot.

If you suck at drop-in you should at least be trying at least a little instead of gliding around in the neutral zone tapping your goddamn stick for a pass that you'll fumble if you receive it. Or your inability to skate on your bended ankles means any backchecking player catches you in two strides.

I'm fine with new/bad players I just hate lazy assholes.

Also it was a bag skate because there were 3 subs a side and the teams were stacked against us.

I still like hockey though. Hockey is good and fun.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy gently caress we won our first tournament game. We actually have to care about our 8am game tomorrow!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pleads posted:

If you suck at drop-in you should at least be trying at least a little instead of gliding around in the neutral zone tapping your goddamn stick for a pass that you'll fumble if you receive it. Or your inability to skate on your bended ankles means any backchecking player catches you in two strides.

You sure you're not having an NHL 15 drop in fever dream?

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

DeNofa posted:

I've only been to Ice Plex and Cary, but I'd definitely recommend Ice Plex. Ice Plex has olympic sized ice and I've always had a better experience there than anywhere else. That's where I go to LTP and play in my league.

That said, I'm not too sure about who needs full gear and what not.

Fake edit: Helmet, stick, gloves: http://www.iceplex.com/hockey_stickandpuck.htm

Thanks for the info. I wound up not bringing my gear, the wife wasn't a fan and our schedule is just so full anyways. Oh well!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

You sure you're not having an NHL 15 drop in fever dream?

No this was literally some kid (like, 16 maybe?) whose ankles bend inwards and can't get moving faster than a brisk walk, floating at the red line and tapping his stick while the other four skaters basically killed a penalty for however long he was out there.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

wear a cage, kids.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yikes. how'd you manage that without splitting a lip?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nitramster posted:

^ It's one thing to wear a player jersey at sticktime/drop-in/whatever, it's a whole different thing to wear a knockoff jersey

lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're not wearing a CCM authentic team jersey (with TIE DOWN STRAP), you're just a poser.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I should be clear I wasn't dissing wearing player jerseys, just knockoffs in general.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Who cares?

There's better things to get mad about, like the douche who wears #99.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

Loqieu posted:

Do yourself a favor and get the Full House themed hockey jersey for drop-in like I did.

https://sublimationkings.com/shop/the-rippers-blue-jersey/

omg a spaceballs jersey >_>

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nitramster posted:

I should be clear I wasn't dissing wearing player jerseys, just knockoffs in general.

$35 knockoffs from Hong Kong own, sorry.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

I remember when I first started playing, I didn't buy everything in Bruins colors because I thought it might be some kind of faux pas. Like, "look, he thinks he plays for the local team" etc. etc. Then I realized no one cares and I've seen guys wearing legit players' jerseys at drop-in or whatever.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The only thing I give a poo poo about people wearing are light and dark jerseys. gently caress all the cockbags who show up to drop in with red or gray. Seriously white / black practice jerseys are $10.

"Oh I didn't know" ... even though the signup says in all caps BRING WHITE AND BLACK JERSEYS NO COLORS

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

Verman posted:

The only thing I give a poo poo about people wearing are light and dark jerseys. gently caress all the cockbags who show up to drop in with red or gray. Seriously white / black practice jerseys are $10.

"Oh I didn't know" ... even though the signup says in all caps BRING WHITE AND BLACK JERSEYS NO COLORS

Well I've never been somewhere that it's "required" to bring both, but if there's one thing I learned from this thread, it's that I put on a white jersey and bring a black one to the bench. And I usually don't even have to change because Team White is always smaller than Team Color.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've got a super light gray jersey that I can't imagine anyone would ever mistake for the "dark" team but this thread made me self conscious about it so I stopped taking it to drop in.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

White and dark only. Red, yellow, and gray jerseys at drop-in should be capital offenses.

Actually, I don't really care about red, but for whatever reason there are always two dudes with red jerseys who wind up going white "for balance". Invariably, they wind up having to switch teams half way through the skate.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 26, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Dangerllama posted:

White and dark only. Red, yellow, and gray jerseys at drop-in should be capital offenses.

Actually, I don't really care about red, but for whatever reason there are always two dudes with red jerseys who wind up going white "for balance". Invariably, they wind up having to switch teams half way through the skate.

The ones I love best are busy-rear end Russian or other Euro jerseys that seem to have equal parts of nearly ever color of the rainbow.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The rule of thumb is: If you ever see a busy-rear end Czech/Russian/KHL jersey in your defensive zone, he's definitely not on your team. (I kid, I kid).

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 26, 2015

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Just got back from a beer league game where I was one of seven skaters. We rolled four forwards and three D.

We won 5-3, the first four goals were by one of our guys who's normally a center, I got the fifth goal when the opposing goali thought they were sitting on it, but I was behind them and just swept it in

I'm so gassed, and I've got a 10 am instructional league game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A few times I've seen normal blue get put on the light bench, with navy blue on the dark bench. gently caress those assholes.

Red I can deal with, but gently caress yellow jerseys.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
At the last LTP we had a guy who every clinic or scrimmage would wear his authentic Pens jersey. Which had been signed by the entire Pens team... I couldn't get my head around that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a kid who showed to LTP a ways back, wore a different team uniform every week.. matching socks and jersey. Can't imagine how much all that cost because they weren't knockoffs.

He was like 17 and had never played hockey before, was convinced he'd learn to play and get a college sports scholarship to pay his school. Was sort of a bummer really because I later heard he was a 4.0 mega brainiac but his parents couldn't afford a decent school, thus the scholarship attempt.

Might have been able to pay for more school if they hadn't spent a thousand dollars on jerseys and hockey pads.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Yea that's a weird one, if he was that smart he should be able to get scholarships. Or at least get some decent loans and pick a school. Someone that smart should realize you're never going to be able to compete with athletes that have been playing a game since at least middle school.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
There are more full rides out there for brainiacs than jocks, believe it or not. He'll be ok.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Nitramster posted:

Yea that's a weird one, if he was that smart he should be able to get scholarships. Or at least get some decent loans and pick a school. Someone that smart should realize you're never going to be able to compete with athletes that have been playing a game since at least middle school.

Intelligence and common sense don't always go together.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I wear a Kuznetsov Traktor jersey to stick-time even though I suck because I'm that guy

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

Red I can deal with, but gently caress yellow jerseys.

I have an uncrested yellow bruins winter classic jersey because I can. :getin: I mean, I only ever wear it to stick'n'puck or scrub class so whatever.

So. much. yellow.

(i also have a black, a white, and a cheap rear end reversible that lives in my bag) :ssh:

e: There's some dumb part of me that wants an uncrested Minnesota 3rd just because.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

sellouts posted:

yikes. how'd you manage that without splitting a lip?

i got a cut somehow on the top part of my gums. don't know how. it was a really clean break, to be honest. i have a temporary (cap) on right now until i get a crown in late may.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I'm not gonna wear my authentic jersey to drop-in because a) it's red and b) it was expensive and I don't want it to get hosed up. I was thinking a white knock-off would be a nice alternative to grabbing a white practice jersey but I should probably just get a white practice jersey.

My league had their draft today, all my friends got put on a team together in the top division and I'm on my own in the middle division. I'm actually really happy that I got placed in the middle division since I've only been playing since November but I was hoping I'd have my buddies down with me. Ah well. First league game ever coming up this Wednesday!