Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kavak posted:

Okay here's my preliminary "menu" for Kaiserreich:
$1,000- New PSA event chain: Joshua Norton, God-Emperor of the United States.
$2,000- Australasia loses the Emu War, country renamed "Emuland": New HoS "Emus", New HoG "More Emus".
$5,000- Third Mexican Empire and Aztec Restoration event chains.
$10,000- Byzantium out the wazoo.
$100,000- Resurrect or Kill Historical Figure of your Choice, except Hitler.
$1,000,000- Resurrect Hitler.
$1,000,000,000- Canada gets cores on Britain.

Well you've got me up to the $10,000 level at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Kavak posted:

Okay here's my preliminary "menu" for Kaiserreich:
$1,000- New PSA event chain: Joshua Norton, God-Emperor of the United States.
$2,000- Australasia loses the Emu War, country renamed "Emuland": New HoS "Emus", New HoG "More Emus".
$5,000- Third Mexican Empire and Aztec Restoration event chains.
$10,000- Byzantium out the wazoo.
$100,000- Resurrect or Kill Historical Figure of your Choice, except Hitler.
$1,000,000- Resurrect Hitler.
$1,000,000,000- Canada gets cores on Britain.

How about $10 for bringing back NATO counters.
You'll rake so much cash, I want 10%

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Darkest Hour already has NATO counters. HoI 4 will have a day 1 counter mod, anyway.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
To fit the timeline, you need to make your own Mitteleuropan Counters.

They're basically the same, but all the counters have fancy hats.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Kavak posted:

Darkest Hour already has NATO counters. HoI 4 will have a day 1 counter mod, anyway.

Well, I meant if you ever port Kaiserreich to HOI4, you can add counters as separate mod DLC and rake in the cash.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

Well, I meant if you ever port Kaiserreich to HOI4, you can add counters as separate mod DLC and rake in the cash.

And throw an Arthmoor-level tantrum if anyone manages to import another counter mod, I like it!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kavak posted:

And throw an Arthmoor-level tantrum if anyone manages to import another counter mod, I like it!

Put giant Oblivion gates all over Western Europe as "monuments to the tragedy of WW1"

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Last I remember reading, hoi4 was slated for a release in the first half of 2015. Is that still the case? I haven't been following all the news. Also I might just have imagined seeing that date.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's targeted for June, IIRC.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kersch posted:

Last I remember reading, hoi4 was slated for a release in the first half of 2015. Is that still the case? I haven't been following all the news. Also I might just have imagined seeing that date.

Paradox leveled up their scheduling system with the Cities Skylines money. They now operate on Blizzard/Valve time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Riso posted:

Only now have I realised that the stupid Free Market <-> Central Planning slider in the HOI games should be Peace <-> War Economy instead.

Yep, you could even use it to eliminate the IC penalty for peaceful nations (EG: France and the UK pre-war) as well.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Riso posted:

Only now have I realised that the stupid Free Market <-> Central Planning slider in the HOI games should be Peace <-> War Economy instead.

But then you still have the issue of Peace being better than War Economy.

Wait...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Stairmaster posted:

But then you still have the issue of Peace being better than War Economy.

Wait...

Yeah, I thought it went without saying that you should throw away the current bonuses and come up with completely different ones while you're at it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Context for this Skyrim pay mods thing

:siren: Hot tip! :siren: Here's how you do it Johan:

Bring the modders on board, publish it as an actual project/DLC, provide quality QA, keep it updated and working, take full responsibility if it crashes/doesn't work/melts computers.

Oh, wait? You don't want to do that? Then don't charge loving money for it. :mad:

Seriously, I've been playing Paradox games since Europa Universalis One, have sunk countless thousands of hours into them, but if Paradox turns on the same poo poo Bethesda just did for Skyrim I would make the world's biggest :smith: face and then walk away and not buy any more Paradox games.

:smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Fintilgin posted:

Context for this Skyrim pay mods thing

:siren: Hot tip! :siren: Here's how you do it Johan:

Bring the modders on board, publish it as an actual project/DLC, provide quality QA, keep it updated and working, take full responsibility if it crashes/doesn't work/melts computers.

Oh, wait? You don't want to do that? Then don't charge loving money for it. :mad:

Seriously, I've been playing Paradox games since Europa Universalis One, have sunk countless thousands of hours into them, but if Paradox turns on the same poo poo Bethesda just did for Skyrim I would make the world's biggest :smith: face and then walk away and not buy any more Paradox games.

:smith:

It's weird that this Paradox forum quote has a bunch of SA-specfic emoticons in it!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kaiserreich for HoI4 is cancelled if this actually happens, no joke. I refuse to be a part of this poo poo.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rincewind posted:

It's weird that this Paradox forum quote has a bunch of SA-specfic emoticons in it!

I care posted.

Because I ~care~.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I live for counters. This is not a joke post.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Imagine if Paradox monetizes Cities Skylines modding. All of the incredible goodwill and success they've achieved doing things the "right way" would be pissed away instantly. They aren't that dumb right?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Imagine if Bethesda monetizes Skyrim modding. All of the incredible goodwill and success they've achieved doing things the "right way" would be pissed away instantly. They aren't that dumb right?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Here is how you actually do it. Contact modders that have cool ideas asking if you can integrate their ideas into the game via patches or dlc. If they say yes, go ahead, if they say no, go ahead. Then split them a portion of the proceeds depending on how well it's received by the community/bought, but keep development and support pdox side. Oh, and don't be a dick that's important too.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zeron posted:

Here is how you actually do it. Contact modders that have cool ideas asking if you can integrate their ideas into the game via patches or dlc. If they say yes, go ahead, if they say no, go ahead. Then split them a portion of the proceeds depending on how well it's received by the community/bought, but keep development and support pdox side. Oh, and don't be a dick that's important too.

See I'd actually be totally on board with this. Because it would be the best of the best mods and be published as actual real DLC which Paradox would be legally and morally responsible for keeping working/updated/meeting minimum quality standards. But I guess they tried this with Magna Mundi and East vs. West and it didn't really work out very well.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Imagine if Paradox monetizes Cities Skylines modding. All of the incredible goodwill and success they've achieved doing things the "right way" would be pissed away instantly. They aren't that dumb right?

Cities: Skylines was the first game I thought of when I heard the news that Workshop would support this monetized modding system, and the thought terrified me.

Yes, Paradox, build up your reputation for being open with your modding, making things very easy to mod and encouraging people to get into it, then implement a system where the modders can make money for their hard work (and Paradox can pocket a smooth 50% of all earnings while taking absolutely zero loving responsibility for the mods actually working). That's a FANTASTIC plan. Especially since patches don't break mods all the drat time and Paradox modding projects don't die like flies all the time. That can't POSSIBLY piss off your userbase.

gently caress, I really hope Paradox doesn't go down that road.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

my favorite part of this image is still "our cut".

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I don't know... $$$ would actually convince me to work harder on my Rise of Islam mod.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Man Whore posted:

my favorite part of this image is still "our cut".

This is 75% for Valve/Bethesda, 25% for the modder, for those not following the exciting drama. :stare:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol all the Luddites on the Paradox forms who were terrified of Steam are now vindicated.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fintilgin posted:

I believe they tried that already.

They ended up losing the rights to Clausewitz. :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

$10 $9.98 says that the When the World Stopped Making Sense guy would immediately monetize if given the option.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Fintilgin posted:

This is 75% for Valve/Bethesda, 25% for the modder, for those not following the exciting drama. :stare:

well I mostly referring to why do you deserve a cut of the modders work that you had nothing to do with if everyone who can use the mod already gave you like 90 bucks for the game and all the DLC and expansions? as far as I am concerned that is your cut.

But I am completely against mod monetization in any way.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tomn posted:

I believe they tried that already.

They ended up losing the rights to Clausewitz. :v:

I suppose the other option would just be to open the floodgates of poo poo, provide no QA or support, and let everyone sell whatever they want so modders and developers can both get their 'cut'. Honestly, it's hard to imagine it's even legal to sell a software product (because that's what Valve is doing now), take the money for it as corporate profit, and disclaim any responsibility for it working at all because you've decided to call it a 'mod' instead of a 'dlc'.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
In addition to giving fuel to the tinfoil crowd on pdox forums, now my NATO counter mod will cost me $59.99- a price point I'm sure will be justified to screen out the casuals

RestRoomLiterature- fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 25, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Funky Valentine posted:

$10 $9.98 says that the When the World Stopped Making Sense guy would immediately monetize if given the option.

Not with that Nazi flag he's not. :allears:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I can barely mod but I guarantee if I could make a little money by spamming the marketplace with Rome mods I will do it in .1 seconds

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Cities: Skylines was the first game I thought of when I heard the news that Workshop would support this monetized modding system, and the thought terrified me.

gently caress, I really hope Paradox doesn't go down that road.

That quote terrified the gently caress out f me. That would ruin paradox games for me.
It's okay when you do expansion/overhaul material stuff, but monetizing mods?
Nope, that'd be it. No more. I've done it to EA and I will do it to paradox too. Balve too.

And they'd lose the mantle of succession to the city builders legacy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I can already see myself making a lucrative career out of lovely mods microtargeted at various Balkan nationalities by *accurately representing* their history, i.e. having Greater Serbia cover half of Europe in 1444.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bel Monte posted:

That quote terrified the gently caress out f me. That would ruin paradox games for me.
It's okay when you do expansion/overhaul material stuff, but monetizing mods?
Nope, that'd be it. No more. I've done it to EA and I will do it to paradox too. Balve too.

And they'd lose the mantle of succession to the city builders legacy.

I am also terrified of hypothetical changes to video game mod policies

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
There is a way where mod makers can get money for their content, its called people donating.

There's also this magical part where Paradox also gets its cut, its called we bought the game and generally the monetized patch content. (The latter I'm mostly fine with, as its actually, you know, content)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I actually almost never use mods of any kind whatsoever, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight. That being said, to play devil's advocate - if a developer or a publisher can get a share of money off mod sales, wouldn't that provide a major financial incentive to making modding easier and their tools more powerful? Previously, the only real incentive for a gaming company to invest in modding was either some kind of sense of principle that supported modding, or else the "goodwill of the community", which is one of those things that's a lot less useful than it sounds. With paid modding and a share going to the devs, though, wouldn't even a company like EA sit up and take notice and start trying to make their games more mod-friendly? And even for companies that are already mod-friendly like Paradox, would it be possible that the extra money will allow them to devote yet more resources to mod-friendly projects?

• Locked thread