Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I like Johnny Depp and am excited to see him do something that doesn't seem like total garbage. It's hard to get past the vibes of 10 other gangster movies from the trailer (now that someone pointed out the Jack Nicholson thing I can't stop hearing it) but I spose that comes with the territory - it looks good which is the important part.

I mean the dude hasn't done a meaty live-action role in about a decade so I'm keen just for the novelty at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

What's the twist in the latest Shyamalan film? Half of it is normal, and half of it is "found footage," I guess :shrug:

The Visit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfQnRjkuvaY

it's scary grandpas the movie my god :lol:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
She actually got inside the oven!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

"No, nana, I don't think I will get into the oven."
*shoves nana over*
"Oh you broke your hip and can't get up now?"
MOVIE OVER

seriously what is the target demographic this movie is trying to scare?! How old are you where your grandparents still pose a real threat?!

(It Follows was different)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well I was around 8. I mouthed off to my grandpa once and he darted his hand out and grabbed my arm and I couldn't get away. His hand was like a manacle. Then he slapped me on the back of the head, hard. Then he said, "Don't talk to me like that ever again."

I had forgotten he grew up on a farm in Pennsylvania. After that, yeah, I was a little scared of my grandpa until he went to the old folk's home.

edit: fixed

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 24, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I would kung fu chop the poo poo out of my nana/peepaw or any other nana/peepaw that would get in my way :cmon:
That's why I think the target audience has to be like, 11 and under, I can understand that at 8. Have we done the scary baby movie yet? Might as well. Like a horror baby that actually gets out there and kills people somehow.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

my grandpa put on wax lips and chased me through the house and it scared the poo poo out of me when i was a kid. i fell down the stairs and almost broke my neck. are you all telling me that grandpas and grandmas aren't supposed to act like that?!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well I was around 8. I mouthed off to my grandpa once and he darted his hand out and grabbed my arm and I couldn't get away. His hand was like a manacle. Then he slapped me on the back of the head, hard. Then he said, "Don't talk to me like that ever again."

I had forgotten he grew up on a farm in Pennsylvania. After that, yeah, I was a little scared of my grandma until he went to the old folk's home.

Yikes.

What's the guess for the movie, possession by ghosts, or alien mind control?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yikes.

What's the guess for the movie, possession by ghosts, or alien mind control?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

That isn't a twist, that is life.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

After that, yeah, I was a little scared of my grandpa until he went to the old folk's home.

You were fearful of your grandfather because he wouldn't tolerate your crap? Or do you mean the Biblical "fear" being respect? Or some third option?

But yeah, old-man strength is very much real. Peak once in your 20s, then again at 60s. It's why no one really called bs on ROCKY BALBOA.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Few things fill me with more rage than the fact that Shyamalan is still being given money to make movies. How many loving chances can one guy get after making one good movie and dozen subsequent disasters? WHY, HOLLYWOOD GODS, WHY!?!?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

Hansel and Gretel was an inside job.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jagermonster posted:

Few things fill me with more rage than the fact that Shyamalan is still being given money to make movies. How many loving chances can one guy get after making one good movie and dozen subsequent disasters? WHY, HOLLYWOOD GODS, WHY!?!?

He made this with his own money, apparently

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jedit posted:

Hansel and Gretel was an inside job.

Ovens can't melt steel beams.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Plus, who cares. The trailer looks not great but I'm at least curious.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I have a feeling that movie's going to be really funny. Not the Happening funny, but still a good laugh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

He made this with his own money, apparently

He owns. gently caress all you nerds.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He owns. gently caress all you nerds.

Not after what he did to TLA.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

PaganGoatPants posted:

Pour one out for that franchise, homie

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jagermonster posted:

Pour one out for that franchise, homie

Never forget :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RpgbZcHk_A

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PaganGoatPants posted:

The Last Airbender is genuinely horrendous and I will not defend it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I am pretty sure TLA was just made to be a textbook example of how not to make a movie but somehow got released anyway.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I saw The Last Airbender at midnight.

On purpose.

I honestly can't think of many decisions I've made in my life worse than that one.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Weirdly a few months ago I sat at home on a Saturday by myself and got ripped and started watching The Last Airbender, the cartoon version.

Um holy moly I had a blast.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kiimo posted:

Weirdly a few months ago I sat at home on a Saturday by myself and got ripped and started watching The Last Airbender, the cartoon version.

Um holy moly I had a blast.

:shrug: Some would say this is sad.

I say it is Cinema Discusso! :byodood:

*cue dragonborn theme*

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Alehkhs posted:

What's the twist in the latest Shyamalan film? Half of it is normal, and half of it is "found footage," I guess :shrug:

The Visit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfQnRjkuvaY

It looks like a relatively realistic take on spending some time with your grandparents.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The twist will probably be that the movie isn't real, and people in the theater are all dead aliens.

It's us. We're all dead aliens.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU1hYgGcosA

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

GonSmithe posted:

On purpose.

I honestly can't think of many decisions I've made in my life worse than that one.

This was you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHi1zaN0ooc

I never watched that cartoon, looked like just a typical anime to me :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

effectual posted:

It was US-made and way more Pan-Asian than only Japanese. It was actually really good for what it was-- a Western Shonen/"Chosen One" fantasy epic--and I say that as someone who only saw it for the first time this year because when it first came out I was headed off to college and didn't care to watch it. It's not "drop what you're doing and watch it" good, but it's definitely a cut above most poo poo in its genre. Even when you completely side-step the whole Asian/White casting debate, the movie that was made is impressively bad on both a stand-alone and an adaptation level, and the material could have easily supported a mega-franchise with a little bit more care.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm all the guys with sideburns & hats

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

GonSmithe posted:

On purpose.

Me too :[

In fact, its the last midnight release movie I've seen because once you've been burned that hard, you don't try again

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Jack Nicholson was the worst part of the departed. Beyond hammy and was distracting as hell. I really don't hear a impression of Jack here. Also Depp is a good actor and I think if he has something good to channel that energy into I think it could be very good. And I certainly acknowledge how lovely most of his recent work has been. I count myself among those who hate almost all his decisions the past decade. But I'm not going to ignore this film just because of him. Plus it's got a great cast.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

effectual posted:

You know how the truly great Disney movies are bright and colorful and easy for little kids to watch, but are also clever and emotionally weighty enough to keep parents entertained, while being so well-constructed and thoughtful that you can watch them again years later and get stuff you totally missed out on the first time?

The Last Airbender cartoon is like that, plus kickass kung-fu fight scenes. It's good poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

effectual posted:

This was you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHi1zaN0ooc

Hahaha, nerds always loving steal some comics styling and take it for their own. In this case the tall fat gently caress with a fedora channels Lewis Black.

2nd hand cringe at its finest.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sucks, because the book is outstanding and otherwise the movie looks okay but yeah Depp looks friggin' ridiculous. What's up with those albino contact lenses?
He looks just like Bulget in the 70s there.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I know a lot of people rip of Nic Cage for being in crap movies, but what did Samuel L. Jackson do with his money to be in this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y-CJjJ-jtw

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

I know a lot of people rip of Nic Cage for being in crap movies, but what did Samuel L. Jackson do with his money to be in this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y-CJjJ-jtw

Slept comfortably in his multi-million dollar home on his multi-thousand dollar bed I'd assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Seriously it seems like he'll show up for anything as long as you pay him, which I can respect. Even more impressive that that stuff never tarnishes his career.

• Locked thread