Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Perfect AV / Post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Migishu posted:

Lest we forget :australia:
It was cool when goons used to play this together.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Migishu posted:

Lest we forget :australia:

it was you!

in 200 typhoon kills you are the only player who has killed me in a headon and survived to tell the tale :negative:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Sard posted:

Putting Communist hyphens in American tank designations is extremely unpatriotic and will be reported to the HUAC. Also the decal from the Russian T-III has a new life on this new bomber, symbolizing cooperation and bears:

I think you're missing out on some very serious opportunities here with mr. commu-bear....

MrLonghair posted:

I'd buy Googly-eye decals that reacted with proper physics.

Fuckin' A right. I would pay many hitlerbux for googly eyes!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

BBJoey posted:

it was you!

in 200 typhoon kills you are the only player who has killed me in a headon and survived to tell the tale :negative:

1 shot from a Kingcobra's canon will do that i suppose.

I suppose I should get on mumble at some point

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Migishu posted:

1 shot from a Kingcobra's canon will do that i suppose.

I suppose I should get on mumble at some point

Head-ons with Cobras aren't the best idea. The only saving grace is that most pubbies can't aim the bloop gun for poo poo (or they hold down the trigger and all their shots sail wide), so it's not quite the certain death of taking on a 'phoon or Beaufighter.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Random Assorted Ammunition

"Ground Attack" Cartridges

From Left to Right:
ShVAK (20 x 99R) -- VYa, Postwar (23 x 152B) -- MK101/MK103 (30 x 184B) -- 37mm M4/M10 (37 x 145R) -- 3.7cm BK 3.7 (37 x 263B) -- 40mm Vickers Class S (40 x 158R) -- 5cm BK 5 (50 x 419R) -- 6pdr Molins (57 x 441R)

"Fighter Gun" Cartridges

From Left to Right:
.50 Browning (12.7 x 99) -- Hispano HS 404/AN-M2 (20 x 110) -- 37mm M4/M10 (37 x 145R) -- IJN 13mm Type 3 (13.2 x 99) -- IJN Type 99-1 (20 x 72RB) -- IJN Type 99-2 (20 x 101RB) -- 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT/Scotti/IJA Ho-103 (12.7 x 81SR) -- IJA Ho-5 (20 x 94) -- IJA Ho-1/Ho-3 (20 x 125) -- 12.7mm Beresin (12.7 x 108) -- ShVAK (20 x 99R) -- MG 131 / IJN 13mm Type 2 (13 x 64B) -- MG 151 (15 x 96) -- MG-FF (20 x 80RB) -- MG 151/20 (20 x 82) - MG 204 (20 x 105) -- MK 108 (30 x 90RB) -- MK 103 (30 x 184B)

Fun fact: The .50 cal Browning cartridge (12.7 x 99) has 2/3rds more Muzzle Energy, at 17,800 joules, than the 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT / 12.7mm Type 1 - Ho-103, at 10,600 joules.

The higher the muzzle velocity, the more destructive potential the round has :eng101:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

You're a goddamned treasure :golfclap:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The higher the muzzle velocity, the more destructive potential the round has :eng101:

But overpenetration! :pseudo:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rayjenkins posted:

But overpenetration! :pseudo:

The Japanese secretly tried to cause significant amounts of overpenetration by refusing to up-armor their aircraft. True story.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Japanese secretly tried to cause significant amounts of overpenetration by refusing to up-armor their aircraft. True story.

A very wise decision on the part of the superior Emperor's Air Forces. :japan:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

dennyk posted:

Head-ons with Cobras aren't the best idea. The only saving grace is that most pubbies can't aim the bloop gun for poo poo (or they hold down the trigger and all their shots sail wide), so it's not quite the certain death of taking on a 'phoon or Beaufighter.

yeah it's super easy to win headons against most cobras because they start firing their 37mm too early and lose all accuracy, but I never expected to run into a good player...

also if anyone's having trouble getting 200 kills reminder that the premium Typhoon is the closest this game gets to Pay2Win in AB:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"Fighter Gun" Cartridges

From Left to Right:
.50 Browning (12.7 x 99) -- Hispano HS 404/AN-M2 (20 x 110) -- 37mm M4/M10 (37 x 145R) -- IJN 13mm Type 3 (13.2 x 99) -- IJN Type 99-1 (20 x 72RB) -- IJN Type 99-2 (20 x 101RB) -- 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT/Scotti/IJA Ho-103 (12.7 x 81SR) -- IJA Ho-5 (20 x 94) -- IJA Ho-1/Ho-3 (20 x 125) -- 12.7mm Beresin (12.7 x 108) -- ShVAK (20 x 99R) -- MG 131 / IJN 13mm Type 2 (13 x 64B) -- MG 151 (15 x 96) -- MG-FF (20 x 80RB) -- MG 151/20 (20 x 82) - MG 204 (20 x 105) -- MK 108 (30 x 90RB) -- MK 103 (30 x 184B)
Well I guess it's pretty loving obvious why the Italian/Japanese .50s and MG131 do poo poo-all.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BBJoey posted:

Well I guess it's pretty loving obvious why the Italian/Japanese .50s and MG131 do poo poo-all.

13 x 64B has a worse muzzle velocity (and energy) than 12.7 x 81SR :downsgun:

13x64B Muzzle Energy:
HET: 9,600j
AP: 9,500j

E:
MG 131 had a RoF of 900 rpm. The Ho-103 and 13mm Type 2 had the same RPM as the MG 131.

The 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT was rated at 700 rpm

The US M2 shot at around 600 to 800 rpm

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 25, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well the size of the Hispano cartridge certainly explains why it's so good compared to the other 20mms. :stare:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Eej posted:

Well the size of the Hispano cartridge certainly explains why it's so good compared to the other 20mms. :stare:

The type 99-2 used in mid/late IJN fighters is comparable, as is the Ho-1 except you'll only find it on the Ki-49 hoo hoo hoo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BBJoey posted:

The type 99-2 used in mid/late IJN fighters is comparable, as is the Ho-1 except you'll only find it on the Ki-49 hoo hoo hoo

Don't forget the Ho-3 which was the Ho-1 but in a fixed position, and used by the IJA.

I've got a few posts on IJA projectiles that includes the many different rounds they used. IJN stuff is still in the works.

E: Single post talking about 12.7mm and some 20mm IJA stuff
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=443236027

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 25, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't forget the Ho-3 which was the Ho-1 but in a fixed position, and used by the IJA.

Oh I didn't even notice that the Ki-45 uses that one. I was only looking at the Fighter line.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BBJoey posted:

Oh I didn't even notice that the Ki-45 uses that one. I was only looking at the Fighter line.

If you want a quick and easy way to differentiate between IJA and IJN, the IJA used "Ho" followed by a number. IJN aircraft guns were "Type" followed by a number.

Edit:
Sort of like how IJA aircraft almost always (if not always) used the Ki- prefix. IJN aircraft followed a designation system similar to the USN.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Loaded up arcade GF for the first time forever. I forgot how terrible it is. Whose bright idea was it to have stacking artillery strikes with no cooldown?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Reportado.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've really come around to No Markers CARB. It took a little getting used to not to use the minimap all the time but it's a lot of fun to find and murder people. It's like where's waldo with high explosives.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The Su-152-54 is going to be a beast to fight against. That thing has a heat round or so with 400mm penetration at all ranges. Would be funny to use it to cause a Maus to have it's turret explode into the sky though.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The current air event on the Russian side is amazing. Every match is a race to see how quickly the Russian team can be wiped out by a force half their size. I'm not even really fighting anymore, just queuing up and going :suspense: the whole match.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Vadoc posted:

Would be funny to use it to cause a Maus to have it's turret explode into the sky though.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

His planet needed him.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

http://gfycat.com/FrequentKindEgret

Got the F9F-5, and oh man is it fun. May not be able to keep up with the other big jets but it's so responsive, the airbrakes are like a bullet time toggle. Feels much better at acceleration than the F9F-2, and the partial paint job is rad.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I think I found a new favorite plane. The F4F-3.

There I was minding my own business grinding out ground kills for the free b-25 when someone rudely interrupted me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4GBLOLAby0

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Over two years in WoT, and Maus-launches were the only real fun I had with that game.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

Sard posted:

http://gfycat.com/FrequentKindEgret

Got the F9F-5, and oh man is it fun. May not be able to keep up with the other big jets but it's so responsive, the airbrakes are like a bullet time toggle. Feels much better at acceleration than the F9F-2, and the partial paint job is rad.

Panther air brakes are super fun in sim too: http://youtu.be/O3fw5pB0RIk

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

An error occurred.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I've put off flying Bearcats for whatever reason but had a lot of fun with them tonight.

http://gfycat.com/CrispSpicyGoa

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

HoboMan posted:

An error occurred.

Those are some interesting links.

E: ah, using Red Roof Inn Wi-Fi?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm still adjusting to the bloopgun on the P63, but I find the 4 .50s are enough for fighters most of the time while the 37mm will ace bombers or other easy to hit targets if I have a sure shot. It's nice to have a bloopgun plane with some other armament.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I just downloaded this and did the tutorials/flew around random battles. Seems hellafun. Made an application to join LAME (a squadron i can deeply identify with).

In game name: myxilplix

Mumble is pretty quiet at the moment so i thought i'd post here.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I'm still adjusting to the bloopgun on the P63, but I find the 4 .50s are enough for fighters most of the time while the 37mm will ace bombers or other easy to hit targets if I have a sure shot. It's nice to have a bloopgun plane with some other armament.

4 50s are more than enough for a lot of planes. Had a great round in my P38. A single short burst with my MGs and two FWs jusy burst into flames. Thanks to another goon who shittalked them and made them real mad.

In the end I got 4 kills and a bunch of pubbies mad.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
T3 fighter race event is on, you want a Spitfire or Hayabusa, rewards are pure poo poo though. Step on the WEP and avoid other planes, learn the track and actual size of the markers, follow a proper racing line.

Took second place in the Hayabusa after leading the race for 95% of it and dying clumsily and being given the longest possible respawn-time, lost 158 SL. I don't get it!

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 25, 2015

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The new WW2 chronicles event is also hilariously unbalanced. The best plane the Germans get is the 109 G2/trop, whereas the brits get the Spitfire LF Mk IX and 4 additional players. :psyduck: If they took the LF IX out and left the F IX it would be quite a good matchup.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Ludicro posted:

The new WW2 chronicles event is also hilariously unbalanced. The best plane the Germans get is the 109 G2/trop, whereas the brits get the Spitfire LF Mk IX and 4 additional players. :psyduck: If they took the LF IX out and left the F IX it would be quite a good matchup.

And what's the deal with the the 12 allies on 8 axis player limits throughout these events? They were starved for material and pilots but this is pretty dumb for game-design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

MrLonghair posted:

And what's the deal with the the 12 allies on 8 axis player limits throughout these events? They were starved for material and pilots but this is pretty dumb for game-design.

I don't get it either. It makes sense when you've got an event with Tigers fighting 76mm Shermans, or perhaps 109 F4s fighting Yak 1Bs and alike, but giving one side superior aircraft AND a numerical advantage? If the LF IX pilot is smart I don't really see what a G2 can do against him.

• Locked thread