Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nagato posted:

The best part of this is that a /8 is owned by hams who basically don't let anyone use it because they're hams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMPRNet
So how is this used? Does the ham radio act as a modem?

Good to know in case of appocolypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

iRend posted:

So uh I've got two more jobs in Sydney going up on seek tomorrow for SOC workers, 40% shift loading means 6 figures starting pay. No prereqs.

In other news, Juniper firewalls do not appear to be good IPSes. Pity we're rolling them out on Monday...

Would you relocate me internationally?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

KoRMaK posted:

So how is this used? Does the ham radio act as a modem?

Good to know in case of appocolypse.

Pretty much exactly that. Packet radio was pretty speedy in it's time but it's far too slow for anything but mail and simple pages, really.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

lampey posted:

All of the usmc computers use public ips. Nearly all of them are not publicly accessible though. I would expect the whole us gov is similar.
My state agency has an entire class-C network of its own, and every PC, printer, etc. gets its own address from that range, but they're all firewalled off from being public. And also we're out of IPs. They've been talking about moving us over to private 10.x.x.x network range for the last few years, with no progress. Suggestions to maybe just skip that whole mess and take us straight to IPv6 get ignored.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

It's already joined the swarm in our horror show of a basement :smith:

Every time I see you post about your boss keeping trash and useless junk around, I'm tempted to drive to where you work, load all of it up, and dump every last bit of it onto the rear end in a top hat's driveway. He wants to keep the old poo poo, then HE can store it himself with the rest of the garbage he undoubtedly hoards.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in this week via the phone. The register is frozen, Ctrl+Alt+Delete won't clear it, and I can't connect remotely.

:phoneb: Alright, go ahead and hold the power button on the computer in for a few seconds until it turns off.
:phone: You mean the hard drive?
:phoneb: ....Suuuuuure, yes.

I have to assume this person thinks the monitor is the computer and someone once told them that the computer is the hard drive. :3: I usually try to clear up such confusion when in person 1 on 1, it seems a lot less productive over the phone to start breaking out definitions.

e: It actually kindof makes me want to see if there are any local charitable groups that do tech workshops, it'd probably be fun to take a group of kids and pry open a PC and show them all the parts and explain what they do. People seem really impressed with building computers when it's something that honestly is less difficult than many Lego sets in terms of instructions.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 25, 2015

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

go3 posted:

seriously want to know how many ipv4 addresses have a printer on the other end

At least one Cabinet agency in the U.S. is pure public IPv4 on every last device

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
"Yeah I need public IPs to everything behind the firewall cause NAT breaks my application" - just about every customer with a poo poo server behind a firewall.

:rolleyes:

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

single-mode fiber posted:

At least one Cabinet agency in the U.S. is pure public IPv4 on every last device

I worked for a division of GE for awhile, and my desktop had a routable Class A address.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So my new job (and first IT job) basically entails using SQL commands to set up new users and answering tickets. No phone calls. there has to be a catch with this poo poo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eonwe posted:

So my new job (and first IT job) basically entails using SQL commands to set up new users and answering tickets. No phone calls. there has to be a catch with this poo poo

You're using raw SQL commands to add users. I assure you that there is something wrong.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Prescription Combs posted:

"Yeah I need public IPs to everything behind the firewall cause NAT breaks my application" - just about every customer with a poo poo server behind a firewall.

:rolleyes:
To be fair I'd love to have proper IPs for everything. Not having to deal with NAT or split horizon DNS would make me much happier.

Maybe the 2020s will be when IPv6 finally breaks through...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fatman1683 posted:

I worked for a division of GE for awhile, and my desktop had a routable Class A address.
That must have been an really exciting R&D division to be in, but I can't understand why anyone would need 16.7 million IP addresses to point to a single desktop.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A ticket came in:

SUBJ: Are you there? your mailer daemon keeps rejecting my emails
BODY: No Description Entered.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

anthonypants posted:

A ticket came in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVuPUY9D-A&t=85s

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

anthonypants posted:

A ticket came in:

Area Grandma Enjoys Flourishing Correspondence With Mailer-Daemon

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

A client of mine had a turnip for a secretary that always sent a thank you reply to autonotifications and was puzzled when she got an error message back. She asked us about it repeatedly.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

neogeo0823 posted:

Wait, what? How the gently caress did that happen? I am a dummy and don't know how any of that works, but that seems like something that shouldn't really happen until the heat death of the universe.

spankmeister posted:

Uh no ipv4 address exhaustion is a real issue and the ipv4 addresses will start running out in the next 5 to 10 years

We have an entire team who does nothing but monitor IP addresses and reclaim/reassign blocks as needed. In the 3 years I've been working here, I can count the number of times we've had outages related to running out of IP addresses on one hand that's missing fingers from an industrial accident.

And even if there was a problem, the DHCP server would throw us a trap and we'd have a new block assigned within 10 minutes. I don't understand how something like that can go unnoticed from the provider's end.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Renegret posted:

We have an entire team who does nothing but monitor IP addresses and reclaim/reassign blocks as needed. In the 3 years I've been working here, I can count the number of times we've had outages related to running out of IP addresses on one hand that's missing fingers from an industrial accident.

And even if there was a problem, the DHCP server would throw us a trap and we'd have a new block assigned within 10 minutes. I don't understand how something like that can go unnoticed from the provider's end.
A static IP assignment script, where for a new server or device it grabs the last used IP for that subnet and increments it by one. I know we're literally doing this with (at least) one of our customers, except we do it by hand.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

anthonypants posted:

A static IP assignment script, where for a new server or device it grabs the last used IP for that subnet and increments it by one. I know we're literally doing this with (at least) one of our customers, except we do it by hand.

It's worth noting that I work for an ISP, so this isn't really feasible, what with our several million customers. We'll assign IP blocks (of various sizes, I checked a random CMTS and saw scopes ranging from /19 to /28) on an as needed basis to certain regions. Then, as customers add/cancel service or we change the interfaces certain customers are on, we'll reclaim blocks and add them back to our IP pool if they're not needed so we can use them somewhere else. This way we always have a healthy supply of IP addresses and don't run the risk of running out suddenly.

It's also worth noting that I'm a big fat Networking Baby who doesn't actually understand the specifics of how anything's set up around here, but I do have a general knowledge over what other groups do (currently studying for a CCNA so I can be less of a networking baby)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Renegret posted:

It's worth noting that I work for an ISP, so this isn't really feasible, what with our several million customers. We'll assign IP blocks (of various sizes, I checked a random CMTS and saw scopes ranging from /19 to /28) on an as needed basis to certain regions. Then, as customers add/cancel service or we change the interfaces certain customers are on, we'll reclaim blocks and add them back to our IP pool if they're not needed so we can use them somewhere else. This way we always have a healthy supply of IP addresses and don't run the risk of running out suddenly.

It's also worth noting that I'm a big fat Networking Baby who doesn't actually understand the specifics of how anything's set up around here, but I do have a general knowledge over what other groups do (currently studying for a CCNA so I can be less of a networking baby)
Yeah, being an ISP is like the only reason I can think of to use DHCP for public IP blocks.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A new hire didn't come in...

My former helpdesk guy who fell asleep multiple times daily and was bad at his job got canned two Mondays ago. I've been doing helpdesk while they hire... and hiring is suspended for six weeks as the CFO considers whether they want to replace the helpdesk guy or have me do it.

Long story short, here's my plan of action:

1) Just talked to the boss about getting a "please submit a ticket, everything requires a ticket as it always has, now more than ever, and if you can't submit it yourself, have someone else submit a ticket" email looked at and sent out, so at least I can have quantifiable info in our ticketing system

2) Enforce our informal SLA - if someone literally can't work, prioritize, but if it's not critical it doesn't get worked until they send in a ticket and they come up in their respective priority

3) Talk to HR this coming Friday to see if the CFO is still waiting the six weeks

3A) If the CFO backs off, awesome, hiring goes back for the new guy and all is well

3B) If the CFO hasn't backed off, ask for a raise commensurate to around 70% of the helpdesk guy's salary, five extra vacation days, and a $10k retention bonus if I'm still wearing both hats by the end of 2015

4) If 3B rears its ugly head and six weeks have passed, actively start looking elsewhere (I always have my updated resume out there just in case Amazon or Google comes knockin', or otherwise)

Because yeah, the last two weeks of cleaning up after this guy, doing my normal sysadmin stuff, doing tasks my boss has delegated, and handling tickets along with walk-ups has been an unsustainable hellstain. I took this job because helpdesk was minimal, so hopefully the CFO agrees with HR and my boss that a 70-person company with three locations and a full VMware cloud really loving needs a helpdesk guy along with a sysadmin.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

MJP posted:

4) If 3B rears its ugly head and six weeks have passed, actively start looking elsewhere (I always have my updated resume out there just in case Amazon or Google comes knockin', or otherwise)

Start looking now, don't wait six weeks. You don't have to get an offer letter, but at least be in discussion with a few places so you know you have something to fall back on.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I've been asked to research teaching software for my company. Basically, we want to make an interactive learning guide for our training courses, which also allows us to enter in quiz's, and lets us explain wrong answers in these quiz's. Does anyone have any suggestions?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Migishu posted:

I've been asked to research teaching software for my company. Basically, we want to make an interactive learning guide for our training courses, which also allows us to enter in quiz's, and lets us explain wrong answers in these quiz's. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Moodle is supposed to be pretty good. One of my old clients swore on it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

nexxai posted:

Moodle is supposed to be pretty good. One of my old clients swore on it.

Doesn't look too bad, but we've already got our own KB/Host, and this looks to be more based around it being the host of the courses, or having something installed on our host to better facilitate the courses (which I don't think I'll ever get approval for)

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Migishu posted:

Blackboard has a free version of their product online as CourseSites - it's great for individual classes but won't do full campus/district learning management like the million dollar product does. They call these things Learning Management Systems fyi

J
Jun 10, 2001

MJP posted:

3A) If the CFO backs off, awesome, hiring goes back for the new guy and all is well

3B) If the CFO hasn't backed off, ask for a raise commensurate to around 70% of the helpdesk guy's salary, five extra vacation days, and a $10k retention bonus if I'm still wearing both hats by the end of 2015

I would definitely start looking now - what happens when you take vacation right now when you're wearing both hats? You probably can't, or if you do, you're effectively chained to a computer. You need to be able to take real vacation days, which means you need a helpdesk person. Even if they gave you everything you asked for in 3B, I personally wouldn't be at all happy trying to juggle all that poo poo.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Ozz81 posted:

Every time I see you post about your boss keeping trash and useless junk around, I'm tempted to drive to where you work, load all of it up, and dump every last bit of it onto the rear end in a top hat's driveway. He wants to keep the old poo poo, then HE can store it himself with the rest of the garbage he undoubtedly hoards.

You joke, but I've actually been there. His house proper is normal, but his workshop is basically Atropos's lair from Insomnia.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

J posted:

I would definitely start looking now - what happens when you take vacation right now when you're wearing both hats? You probably can't, or if you do, you're effectively chained to a computer. You need to be able to take real vacation days, which means you need a helpdesk person. Even if they gave you everything you asked for in 3B, I personally wouldn't be at all happy trying to juggle all that poo poo.

For the record, 3B is basically to cover my rear end and make me look like I'm OK with things while I look elsewhere.

Under no circumstances or any reasonable salary they'd ever give me would I be OK with doing helpdesk in addition to sysadmin.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Spazz posted:

Start looking now, don't wait six weeks. You don't have to get an offer letter, but at least be in discussion with a few places so you know you have something to fall back on.

This is the best answer.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Spazz posted:

Quoting this ALL DAY! Definitely! Self-preservation is always the number one priority.
Best case, you don't need something new...worst case, you do and it's no big deal because you've already been working on it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont post much but I feel like contributing my biggest pain in my rear end this year: Our intern.

This will be a mini series of sorts. Hes been here for 6 weeks out of 12 and so far the most complex task we can give to him to perform unattended is throwing out old garbage. This is one story of many.

Today I decided to give him simple task: reconfigure our temperature sensor for a server room at another branch. They are relatively simple to do, connect to network, factory reset, it gets DHCP. they even have software to find them on the network, and then give you a button to get to the webgui to configure them fully (IP, email settings, temperature ranges, etc.)

For some reason the devices dont like our head office infrastructure, so we actually use a Netgear Wifi Router to make a LAN to configure them with a laptop.

I give him the router, 2 Cat5s, the device, and a power strip. I give him full instructions on how to discover, connect and configure the device, including IP to assign, SMTP servers etc. I give him explicit instruction not to connect the router to our network.

I glance over about 5min later to see him unplugging a LAN cable to connect to the Routers internet port. I tell him to stop and think about what hes' doing first, then continue correctly.

He plugs the router into the network anyway.

I go over, unplug it, and ask him to try again. he unplugs the LAN from his laptop, the other end from the router, and the cable from the sensor. He then plugs both ends of one cat5 into the router, the other cable between the LAN ports on his router and the sensor.

I ask him how he intends to connect to the device. he doesnt know. I ask him if he knows what a router is, or does. he doesnt know. I spend the next 10min explaining that to him.

He still cant connect the devices to the router without explicit instructions.

I step him through it. His network cable is showing as unplugged in windows. I ask him how he would trouble shoot this (Im trying to see if he has any critical thinking skills at all) he futz's around with the windows 8 full screen network info until I hold his hand through getting to his network settings (there is a reason why I didnt bother getting him to use command prompt)

Anyway his network port is dead. I try and coax him into troubleshooting the issue to no avail. I tell him just to connect via wifi to the router. I have to show him how to use WPS.

configuring the device is a matter of copying the settings from another device in another office, just changing the subnets. he struggles for over an hour with copy and pasting the data between pages.

the device is now configured. he has changed the IP and now it wont show up on our network. he has no idea why he cant see it on our network. Its probably because its still connected to the loving Wifi Router, but I let him think about it. keeps trying the new IP on his machine that is on our Office network.

I sit down and explain to him how networks work.

he continues to try and access the device while connected to a different network.

His internship is a part of his university tuition. He is studying Computer Science.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Laserface posted:

His internship is a part of his university tuition. He is studying Computer Science.

So can you fail him?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Laserface posted:

Don't get me started on interns. 1 in 10 seems to have any inkling what's going on, and for the other 9 I either have to waste my time handholding them or waste my time cleaning up their messes.

I'm going to get a spray bottle specifically for interns and fill it with acid to spray on their hands and/or keyboard so at least they can't damage anything

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Laserface posted:

His tasks are way too practical, university CS students have almost no practical ability. The skills they teach are almost entirely theoretical.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Laserface posted:

I've been in this situation before. You're actually doing him a disservice by not firing him. He need to realize that he's not good enough, and either find another field of study or drop out entirely before he has thrown even more money away on his ultimate failure.

spankmeister posted:

His tasks are way too practical, university CS students have almost no practical ability. The skills they teach are almost entirely theoretical.
That doesn't matter at all. If he can't even grasp how a router connects to a network - even with explicit instruction - he won't be able to make theoretical models of it either.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

spankmeister posted:

I look forward to his "spherical cow in a vacuum" implementation of any software that doesn't take into account system load, multiple threads/cores/servers, network latency, storage space, or users.

e: missed an easy "theoretical skill" joke, oh well

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

spankmeister posted:

I graduated with a BS in comp sci and I left not knowing the difference between a switch and a router.

The only practical skills I learned were how to be a code monkey and the theoretical skills of how to computer.

e: that being said, the ability to follow directions and ask questions if you're not sure about something isn't exactly something you can be taught in school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So it gets better. Hes not doing computer science. hes doing IT and communications. so its not a matter of him not understanding things because hes good at math and programming, hes actually supposed to be studying this poo poo.

Another story:

as a way to at least expose him to IT related incidents that he might expect in a helpdesk environment, we have been getting him to monitor the unassigned tickets and alert us to any PRTG alerts that show up. Mostly its because our branches have DVR boxes with an absurdly convoluted storage system (writes to drive D, which copies to drive E, and then to drive F, and then that gets exported to a NAS on site). So we get him to do the following:

A) check the error
B) confirm if its actually correct (sometimes the DVR is unreachable due to an outage or needing a reboot)
C) notify us if the error is correct and assign to someone.

Last night we ran a bunch of windows updates on all our core servers. obviously, the rebooting of these servers to complete the updates caused some down time, which sure enough triggered PRTG emails to start flying to helpdesk.

This morning, he comes in and starts going through tickets. He informs me that "helpdesk01 is down". I know its not down, because Ive been picking up tickets and closing tickets for the last half hour. I tell him its not down, and to continue with the rest.

He comes back to me and says 'helpdesk01 is still down. I logged on to PRTG and its still down!" its not down. I ask him how he could possibly be reading the ticket if it was down. he says 'its down'.

I remind him that service desk is running on the helpdesk01 server, and therefore if it was down, he wouldnt have seen the tickets at all.

he doesnt get it or ask for an explanation. so i ping "helpdesk01" and get a response. "see? how is down if it responds to ping?" he cant answer.

He continued to remind us during the day of the servers that were down despite us showing him they are up and working normally.

• Locked thread