Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

As a victim of this crime against humanity, I must say that I will survive. Overall, I'm very pleased with my sport. Looks great, notifications on the wrist are useful, apple pay on the wrist is magical, the heart rate monitor seems VERY accurate (at least at rest, I'll try it during a work out tonight and cross reference it vs what the treadmill/ellipticals say). I've been tinkering with it non-stop for three hours and battery life has dropped by about 20% so that seems fine as well.

The main "negative' that I've found so far is that you need some additional self control to not blatantly look at notifications when talking to someone it person. It lowers the physical/movement barrier so much thus i find myself much more inclined to do it vs pulling out and checking my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ultramiraculous posted:

People are wayyyyyyy too upset about this whole celebrity thing. Like it's all over the MacRumors, etc, and it seems super weird/petty. Like you may as well get mad at all the Apple employees wearing them around the city, or reviewers getting devices to test.

I want the watch I ordered at 12:05 as much as the next thousand people who ordered at the same time, but we're probably talking about a quantity of watches that probably doesn't even break the low-100s.

DJCobol posted:

I spent about 10 minutes last night reading through some of the threads on MacRumors, and I feel much better about some of my lovely life choices now. People are calling for Angela Whatever her last name is to be fired for this whole "debacle". I want my watch as soon as possible, just like everyone else. It sucks that I ordered mine literally 30 seconds after the Apple store app came back up, and I don't have have a shipping confirmation yet, but a co-worker that ordered 5 hours later (exact same thing I did), who was given a June shipment date just got his shipping confirmation. But reading through some of those threads you would think that Tim Cook went to these people's houses and raped their mothers, killed their dog, burnt their house down, and then pissed on the ashes.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Award for worst comic goes to

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Have you guys noticed that Tim Cook's Apple watch has a little distinctive feature? His has a red accent on The crown. Something you only see on The edition models from what I can tell.

:tinfoil: Tim Cook actually has a super secret Apple watch made of platinum and powered by the heart of a forsaken child

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 24, 2015

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

just_a_guy posted:

Have you guys noticed that Tim Cook's Apple watch has a little distinctive feature? His has a red accent on The crown. Something you only see on The edition models from what I can tell.

:tinfoil: Tim Cook actually has a super secret Apple watch made of platinum and powered by the heart of a forsaken child
I've kind of wondered this. Like are there actually 4(?) different Edition models? The little accent on the crown matches the band that you get, but what if you change your mind and want a different band? You'll have a gold watch with a blue accent and a red strap for $25000. No thanks TIM!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have any Apple Watch Editions popped up on Twitter yet?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

Have any Apple Watch Editions popped up on Twitter yet?
I don't think there are any actually for sale yet. Pretty sure all the boutiques have them listed as out of stock.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I've kind of wondered this. Like are there actually 4(?) different Edition models? The little accent on the crown matches the band that you get, but what if you change your mind and want a different band? You'll have a gold watch with a blue accent and a red strap for $25000. No thanks TIM!

I believe (and this is based on nothing other than the website) that they just have white black and red accents even of you change bands those should still look Nice (back to Tim he uses red accent with white band and I think it looks nifty)

Here is a question for those of you who got the black sport. How nice is it? Aesthetically speaking I find that the standard aluminum loses a lot versus the steel but I have high hopes for the black edition.

I dont have the luxury of looking at one in-store currently. Not available on my country yet. when I get one I will have to get my boss who is on the UK to ship me one via company mail.

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 24, 2015

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

just_a_guy posted:

I believe (and this is based on nothing other than the website) that they just have white black and red accents even of you change bands those should still look Nice (back to Tim he uses red accent with white band and I think it looks nifty)

Here is a question for those of you who got the black sport. How nice is it? Aesthetically speaking i finde that The standard aluminum loses alot versus The steel but I have high hopes for The black edition.

I dont have The luxury of looking at one instore currently. Not available on my country yet. When i get One o will have to get my boss who is on The UK to ship me One via company mail.

I'm loving the space gray sport so far. After wearing a Fitbit surge the last few months, the Apple watch doesn't feel nearly as bulky as the Fitbit did. It's not as easy to put on or take off yet, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it with time. I got the 42mm, and I actually find myself wishing there was a slightly larger option. Right now it just looks like a normal watch, and not some big blatantly obvious smartwatch like a pebble or some of the Android watches.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

just_a_guy posted:

Here is a question for those of you who got the black sport. How nice is it? Aesthetically speaking I find that the standard aluminum loses a lot versus the steel but I have high hopes for the black edition.

I dont have the luxury of looking at one in-store currently. Not available on my country yet. when I get one I will have to get my boss who is on the UK to ship me one via company mail.
Midnight Blue apparently has its own accent as well

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

DJCobol posted:

I'm loving the space gray sport so far. After wearing a Fitbit surge the last few months, the Apple watch doesn't feel nearly as bulky as the Fitbit did. It's not as easy to put on or take off yet, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it with time. I got the 42mm, and I actually find myself wishing there was a slightly larger option. Right now it just looks like a normal watch, and not some big blatantly obvious smartwatch like a pebble or some of the Android watches.

Thanks, I really want a steel. But only a third or fourth gen one :)

E. Eh. I probably need glasses that looked black to me when I was browsing (Not that it matters since the odds of me getting one are... Slim...

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm sure Apple will be just fine, but it's times like this where the limited supply really hurt them. This is totally something that I would completely walk into a store and impulse buy based on just looking at pics lately and seeing people unboxing today and stuff. But there's no way I would bother with a pre-order because I'd want to play with it instantly, not wait a couple months.

I understand that's kind of an unreasonable expectation and most all Apple products are unavailable for walk-in purchase on launch, but drat if I really don't want to try one of these now just based on all the blog posts today.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Yeah, this is really awful and the sole reason I didn't go with the rose gold. Why the hell did they not make a black accented digital crown in anything but the women's size?!?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

BGrifter posted:

I thought it was that the NimbleBit people were lovely posters incessantly pimping lovely game-like cash grabs and beta codes? Who knew it was a much more complicated internet-wide backlash at developers over pricing models. :iiam:

Well, I mean, internet-wide isn't really accurate. The vast, overwhelming, statistical majority of people playing iOS games love free to play stuff largely because for every person mad on an internet forum there's dozens moms playing Candy Crush, dads playing Clash of Clans, and other accidental gamers who might play hours of free to play stuff daily but still don't identify as a "gamer" on any level- Even though the dedication required for high-level Clash of Clans (and similar) play rivals that of old school World of Warcraft raiding. Further complicating the issue is the fact that we now have an entire generation of children who have grown up thinking games should be free and the only things worth paying for have either "Minecraft" or "Pokemon" on the box.

So, it's really only internet-wide if you're specifically hanging out places where early 20's to mid 30 year old self-identified "core" gamers, techies, and other people who grew up with Nintendo hang out. No one else really cares. Reading all the reports on this kind of thing is pretty fascinating, particularly because of how much it all contradicts the internet confirmation bias of "Well everyone in the comments I read hates it so surely everyone must hate it." The same poo poo is happening with the Steam mod drama right now. 35k people have signed that dumb gently caress petition. Steam had 65m active users.

Anyway, yeah, Apple Watch. One of my guys finally got his so we're going to do a big rundown of the various Apple Watch games on TouchArcade at some point this evening.

R.I.P Link bracelet. :saddowns:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If anyone ordered the leather loop band I'd love to hear your impressions of it so far. I'm thinking about getting that one to go along with the sport band that came with mine.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Is the limited functionality of the Glances screen an OS limitation? I've been messing with Wayforward's Watch Quest which is an idle RPG game almost similar to that VMU game for Skies of Arcadia, but when you go to the games's glances screen is just says "tap here to check your hero" instead of showing his progress and energy and junk. Then you have to wait for the full app to load to actually see or do anything.

Cool game and cool watch though.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

DJCobol posted:

If anyone ordered the leather loop band I'd love to hear your impressions of it so far. I'm thinking about getting that one to go along with the sport band that came with mine.

That was the one I was most excited for in the try-on session. If I didn't know it was leather I would've assumed it was some kind of plastic. :(

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

io_burn posted:

The cool part is, from a business perspective it doesn't really matter anymore. 64% of revenue comes from 0.2% of players, so people being cranky on reddit/forums/twitter/etc about developers having the gall to have something you can buy are barely vaguely relevant in a business sense. Players can be as grumpy as they want to be about developers switching over to IAP models, because the fraction of people that don't give a poo poo actually don't give a poo poo to an extent that they're cumulatively paying more money than people ever paying "full price" did.

:science:
Yeah I read your article on this and I think you're missing a key ingredient. You have to reach the whales in the first place. The 99.8% aren't meaningless, they're the transmission vector. It's like a virus. If a virus has a 0.2% fatality rate but a 0.2% chance of transmission (like you suggest, a ftp game that only appeals (gets people passing it on) to the same people who pay for it), that virus is DOA. In other words, the freeloaders are the most important part of the equation, after all 0.2% of no one is no one. Now they certainly want freeloaders to convert into whales, but it's time better spent making sure they have a great time so they tell all their friends, one of which might be already cetacean.

I typed this in bed in the morning wearing my Apple watch. It is cold, but I am already getting used to wearing it.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

chaosbreather posted:

Yeah I read your article on this and I think you're missing a key ingredient. You have to reach the whales in the first place. The 99.8% aren't meaningless, they're the transmission vector. It's like a virus. If a virus has a 0.2% fatality rate but a 0.2% chance of transmission (like you suggest, a ftp game that only appeals (gets people passing it on) to the same people who pay for it), that virus is DOA. In other words, the freeloaders are the most important part of the equation, after all 0.2% of no one is no one. Now they certainly want freeloaders to convert into whales, but it's time better spent making sure they have a great time so they tell all their friends, one of which might be already cetacean.

I typed this in bed in the morning wearing my Apple watch. It is cold, but I am already getting used to wearing it.

This fleuroelastimer (why isn't that in the auto-correct dictionary) is so silky smooth. Wonder if it will dull over time?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

UScr00ge posted:

Is the limited functionality of the Glances screen an OS limitation? I've been messing with Wayforward's Watch Quest which is an idle RPG game almost similar to that VMU game for Skies of Arcadia, but when you go to the games's glances screen is just says "tap here to check your hero" instead of showing his progress and energy and junk. Then you have to wait for the full app to load to actually see or do anything.

Cool game and cool watch though.
Probably a bit of OS limitation and how Wayforward chose to deal with it. As things are right now* the stuff (both apps and glances) is basically running on the phone with the watch doing some limited stuff to display everything (or something like that). They probably wanted the glance to load as quickly as possible vs a slower loading view showing more stuff. Sounds like they basically just chose to use the glance as a quicker/easier launcher than the bunch o apps screen.

*Native apps should be coming later this year, they'll probably be talked about at WWDC.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

eeenmachine posted:

This fleuroelastimer (why isn't that in the auto-correct dictionary) is so silky smooth. Wonder if it will dull over time?

I feel like will probably trade the constant matte texture for a flatter, possibly shiner one in places, but get even softer.

Also, fun fact, you can swim in a pool with it, it's pretty loving crazy water resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW5CxZioIkk

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

DJCobol posted:

I ordered that one. As far as I know, it was never available for shipping on launch day. Someone, please correct me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

chaosbreather posted:

I feel like will probably trade the constant matte texture for a flatter, possibly shiner one in places, but get even softer.

Also, fun fact, you can swim in a pool with it, it's pretty loving crazy water resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW5CxZioIkk

I wonder if this triggers any of the liquid contact indicator things.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Gym trip report. Did about 20 minutes of cardio and 90 minutes of weights. During the cardio session on the treadmill I used the "indoor run" workout preset. The pedometer was about 10% to 15% off vs the treadmill (1 mile on the treadmill reading was 0.85 on the watch). The heart rate monitor was spot on when compared to what the electric dealie on the treadmill said. Max 3-4 bpm difference.

I logged the free weight session as "open" in the workout app (so it calculates calories as if you're having a "brisk walk"). For what it's worth, the heart rate meter was less accurate right after a set (it would substantially underestimate my heart rate). It did log the entire free weight session for like 600 calories or so but I have no idea how accurate that is.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Sport box is loving enormous. Wonder why.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Nut Bunnies posted:

I thought the same thing when I picked it up this morning. The plastic charging cable that's included with the sport watch is also WAY longer than I thought a charging cable would be. Its longer than the extra charging cable I ordered, which is metal instead of plastic for whatever reason.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Nut Bunnies posted:

Seriously. Pretty sure my neighbor thinks I ordered a huge dildo.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If anyone remembers that post a while back about the watch being designed to last 1 year cause charge cycles, well that guy is wrong too:

quote:

Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty (for Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport) and two-year warranty (for Apple Watch Edition) include service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service. Prices and terms may vary.
And here's some worn out straps:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/24/apple-watch-straps-expect-discoloration-deformation-of-sport-and-leather-bands-over-time/

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

shodanjr_gr posted:

I logged the free weight session as "open" in the workout app (so it calculates calories as if you're having a "brisk walk"). For what it's worth, the heart rate meter was less accurate right after a set (it would substantially underestimate my heart rate). It did log the entire free weight session for like 600 calories or so but I have no idea how accurate that is.

In one of the many reviews, or maybe just Joanna Stern on The Talk Show, indicated that the heart rate monitor was very accurate for cardio, but not as great for inconsistent workouts like lifting.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

In one of the many reviews, or maybe just Joanna Stern on The Talk Show, indicated that the heart rate monitor was very accurate for cardio, but not as great for inconsistent workouts like lifting.

Yeah, what i actually noticed is that immediately following a set, the monitor would have a hard time doing a read. It might be related to swelling/blood circulation/whatever happens when you lift heavy weights (I was doing arms). As soon as I cooled down a bit after each set, it would be able to pick up the right bpm.

e: Just to be clear, there's no way to get to Siri to talk back to you on the Watch, right? Also, there's no way to get her to play music that's on the paired iPhone?

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 25, 2015

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I don't have an iPhone, only an iPad I carry everywhere. Will it still work with the iWatch?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KingEup posted:

I don't have an iPhone, only an iPad
no
no

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Thanks

quote:

no

Huh?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

DJCobol posted:

I thought the same thing when I picked it up this morning. The plastic charging cable that's included with the sport watch is also WAY longer than I thought a charging cable would be. Its longer than the extra charging cable I ordered, which is metal instead of plastic for whatever reason.

I think it's just any of the included cables are the 2m ones, I was surprised at how big the cable that came with my steel watch is. And yes, any spare chargers ordered from Apple are the metal variety, plastic only comes with the sport watch.

KingEup posted:

Thanks

Huh?

It's Apple Watch not iWatch :spergin:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

DJCobol posted:

Tried it at the try-on session and it was too big for my wrist, the end of the band stuck up just past the watch case. I know it's 42mm only, but it's a no go for small wrists.

That said, didn't think it felt particularly great either. I'd much prefer a modern or classic buckle for a leather strap.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

BonoMan posted:

My 8 month old daughter farts like a grown man... soooo....

Y'all got weird babies. Seriously though, I didn't know, no kids of my own. Guess I got lucky when holding friends' kids. :v:

The watch is surprisingly snappy, I didn't expect that at all. Some of the reviews made it look like it'd take forever to load, and the display model at the store wasn't that responsive either, but it's great to use and notifications are instant. It's just non-native apps that sometimes are kind of sluggish but all the core functions are quick and responsive. I used it on a run today and while I can't comment on how exact the pedometer is (don't know how long that route is and I didn't take the phone), it seems to be about right, and it's easy to swipe between the glances in the exercise app even while running.

I'm definitely excited about what's next for the watch.

edit: totes getting a milanaise loop once they become available in-store and don't look to garish with the aluminium on the Sport.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

"I was in the shower" is no longer a valid excuse for ignoring someone's texts/emails/phone calls/heartbeat

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I'm surprised how easy it is to navigate apps. I'm on a 38mm model and figured it'd be nearly impossible to pick them out, but so far it's been super easy, and so has entering passcodes.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

This person on MacRumors is trying to argue the 38mm fits them.

io_burn fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

that's horrifying.

• Locked thread