Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Baronjutter posted:

There's a lot of conspiracy theorists in Canada who think "the world" is going to invade canada "for our water" but isn't water fairly hard to transport over long distances cost-effectively? I can't remember the reasons, but oil flows very differently from water when in a pressurized pipe which is why we don't have huge water pipelines like we do oil pipelines. That and outside of Dubai, oil is worth a bit more. If water became expensive enough that it would be economical to pipe down from Canada to California big-ag would already be hosed.

Food is basically water in more easily shipped form. Maybe they think China has an evil fancy GMO monoculture agenda for the boreal forest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Baronjutter posted:

There's a lot of conspiracy theorists in Canada who think "the world" is going to invade canada "for our water" but isn't water fairly hard to transport over long distances cost-effectively? I can't remember the reasons, but oil flows very differently from water when in a pressurized pipe which is why we don't have huge water pipelines like we do oil pipelines. That and outside of Dubai, oil is worth a bit more. If water became expensive enough that it would be economical to pipe down from Canada to California big-ag would already be hosed.

Water has been transported across long distances since the Romans and Han Dynasty invented the aqueduct system. The distance between LA and Seattle is half that of the longest aqueduct in the world.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Which aquaduct is this? LA and Seattle are about 2000 miles apart, and every aquaduct I can find with a cursory search is measured in the hundreds. All less than a thousand, at any rate.

Edit: quick, someone sell Bertha to California to dig their aqueduct while they're still desperate :laugh:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The distance between Seattle and LA is 954 miles by air. The GMR in Libya is 1,750 miles long, and cost ~$25 billion to construct.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If california is willing to foot the bill for an actual roman style aqueduct to get at our water, I would approve of it.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Only if we charge enough to cover our broken and regressive tax system.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

oxbrain posted:

Only if we charge enough to cover our broken and regressive tax system.

Please, we could charge trillions and they would just go to tax breaks for Boeing or Amazon.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Mrit posted:

Please, we could charge trillions and they would just go to tax breaks for Boeing or Amazon.

:clint: Well, it's not like Boeing could make money and keep all of those people employed without them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32417095

oh.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The more I read about Boeing, the more amusing I find rhetoric about letting them leave and retooling the machines to build public transit. I wonder how many jobs could.be replaced by what we're giving them?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's a loving stupid idea

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
It's a bad idea for Boeing and for us. Without them providing a source of disgruntled workers, we'll lose the rest of our aerospace industry in time.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

oxbrain posted:

It's a bad idea for Boeing and for us. Without them providing a source of disgruntled workers, we'll lose the rest of our aerospace industry in time.

Well we do have space X running that lab now which could in time be a new anchor.

Also public transit is stupid if were going to make giant hangars change production it should be into mobile suits or big Berthas :kamina:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

RuanGacho posted:

Also public transit is stupid if were going to make giant hangars change production it should be into mobile suits or big Berthas :kamina:
Also a Big Mathilda that poops out monorail lines while Bertha is pooping out underground roadways..

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

Well we do have space X running that lab now which could in time be a new anchor.

I hope not. We don't need any more burnt out, former idealist, space nerds around here.

e: Nationalize(stateize?) local 787 production. We could call it the GreenLiner.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

RuanGacho posted:

That too presents its own problem...

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I wish the thing in charge of drones was just a really big drone.:sigh:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

oxbrain posted:

e: Nationalize(stateize?) local 787 production. We could call it the GreenLiner.

Haven't you seen the tax breaks already in place?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Xand_Man posted:

I wish the thing in charge of drones was just a really big drone.:sigh:

It wasn't? The xmen never had an alien queen type fight with it? Shame.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I meant real life drones, unless :thejoke:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The funnier thing to do would be to try and get Airbus to open a facility in WA state, since the tax breaks apply to all "aerospace" companies, not just Boeing. Suddenly Boeing would have to pay higher wages to remain competitive against people being recruited to work for Airbus.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
well how hard can it be?

zzzzzzzzzzzz

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

we'll see who brings in more honey

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

seiferguy posted:

The funnier thing to do would be to try and get Airbus to open a facility in WA state, since the tax breaks apply to all "aerospace" companies, not just Boeing. Suddenly Boeing would have to pay higher wages to remain competitive against people being recruited to work for Airbus.

The tax-breaks that Airbus gets to operate where they do makes the WA State Legislature look frugal and austere.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

well how hard can it be?

zzzzzzzzzzzz

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

we'll see who brings in more honey

He's thinking about bees again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

effectual posted:

It wasn't? The xmen never had an alien queen type fight with it? Shame.

They didn't bother. Sentinels weren't very bright, a trait apparently passed on by Master Mold (see near end of video).

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Freakazoid_ posted:

They didn't bother. Sentinels weren't very bright, a trait apparently passed on by Master Mold (see near end of video).

to this day i still don't know why master mold was plugged into the toilet

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ernie Muppari posted:

to this day i still don't know why master mold was plugged into the toilet
Prevented inconvenient interruptions to its scheming.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Article: In northwest, a push to protect forest as geothermal project nears
Date: April 18, 2015

There's resistance to the US Forest service opening up 80,000 acres of Mt. Baker - Snoqualmie National Park for possible geothermal developement

What do you guys think? This is the first I'm hearing so I don't know what to make of it. If geothermal's not built, I can't imagine we'd just do without the increased capacity, so what would be built instead? And are there less environmentally damaging places to put plants?

:iiam:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Accretionist posted:

Article: In northwest, a push to protect forest as geothermal project nears
Date: April 18, 2015

There's resistance to the US Forest service opening up 80,000 acres of Mt. Baker - Snoqualmie National Park for possible geothermal developement

What do you guys think? This is the first I'm hearing so I don't know what to make of it. If geothermal's not built, I can't imagine we'd just do without the increased capacity, so what would be built instead? And are there less environmentally damaging places to put plants?

:iiam:

quote:

Geologists Dave Tucker and Pete Stelling recently hiked to the Mount Baker Hot Springs, located within the national forest. The faint smell of sulfur greet them as they arrive at the hot springs. If you are picturing a beautiful, bubbling pool surrounded by ferns, stop.

The springs are trashed — beer bottles and cans, orange peels, a discarded bra in the mud next to a waist-deep pool of murky water. This isn't just a hot spot for geothermal activity. It's also a hot spot for local college kids who are looking for a soak in the springs.

If it already looks like poo poo, might as well make something useful out of it, especially if its our first steps into trying out Geo-Thermal.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
That reads like PR.

quote:

in the mud next to a waist-deep pool of murky water"

Oh really? Natural hot springs have mud? Ewwww!

And beer cans? Better do what I do to my many houses when I see those. Walk out on it and buy a new one.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I think you should be able to smoke inside bars, that was such a stupid law to pass

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

FRINGE posted:

That reads like PR.

Oh really? Natural hot springs have mud? Ewwww!

And beer cans? Better do what I do to my many houses when I see those. Walk out on it and buy a new one.

Well it IS nPR.

Which I've come to realize generally has the same level of journalistic integrity as a local community facebook page.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I think you should be able to smoke inside bars, that was such a stupid law to pass

I disagree.
I am also a smoker.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Error 404 posted:

I disagree.
I am also a smoker.

If you want to be free in Washington you have to go to Indian land

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

If you want to be free in Washington you have to go to Indian land

Being truly free is being responsible for how your actions affect others.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

FRINGE posted:

That reads like PR.

Now I'm envisioning picturesque Icelandic plants -

- and wastewater pools which people pay to use like hot springs -

- replacing beer cans and overweight hillfolk.

Thanks, NPR!

It's very in keeping with their tendency for centrist pro-corporate reporting.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Hey ultra crazy hippies: If you want reusable energy, you gotta get it somewhere. Geothermal is far less destructive than oil/gas/hydro/nearly anything else.
We need the power, getting it as non-destructively as possible is a good thing.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Goldmeyer Hot Springs is pretty nice. Lots of bugs when I went, though.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mrit posted:

Hey ultra crazy hippies: If you want reusable energy, you gotta get it somewhere. Geothermal is far less destructive than oil/gas/hydro/nearly anything else.
We need the power, getting it as non-destructively as possible is a good thing.

This is what I agree with.

I want Cascadia to be ready to self sustain and we don't have the oil so I want the everything else developed.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Nuclear power is the way to go, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Nuclear power is the way to go, actually

This.

• Locked thread