Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

HenryEx posted:

Are they worse than in Tower of God
They are catastrophically bad. One or two of them have a rape 'joke', I think

Davincie: Thanks for remembering to call that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kaelan Zero posted:

Sadly it looks like the group scanlating it might have dropped it, but Shishunki Bitter Change is really good. It's a relatively serious take on the body-swap genre that has romance as an ongoing plot element (after the first handful of chapters, at least). One of the things that sets it apart is that the two leads have been stuck for over five years, so it gets kind of dark and relatively thoughtful. The male lead is kind of goofy and interesting.

EDIT: Not dropped, waiting for print volume. Neat.

Yeah, Bitter Change is definitely one of the better takes on the whole body-swap/gender-swap genre I've seen. Nice to know it hasn't been dropped.

And yeah, shame about the translator gags.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Thanks for recommending Tamen de Gushi, it's pretty cute.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kaelan Zero posted:

They are catastrophically bad. One or two of them have a rape 'joke', I think

Davincie: Thanks for remembering to call that out.

Checked it out and while they're really loving terrible, they are at least confined to after-chapter extra pages. Still not as bad as Tower of God.

Manga's good tho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst 'translator notes' I ever read were for the early scans of Cardcaptor Sakura where whoever did it made an 'ewww' note whenever any of the same-sex stuff came up but was all 'uguu' about the creepy stuff with the girl who had a crush on her teacher.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
There's only two chapters translated so far but I'm enjoying For Now, Before the World Ends; a man claiming to be god appears to a high school girls' basketball team, telling them that if they don't win the upcoming tournament the world will be destroyed. The girls proceed to completely ignore him and play around, more interested in their love lives than the fate of the world. It's funny, cute, and has great art.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

dordreff posted:

There's only two chapters translated so far but I'm enjoying For Now, Before the World Ends; a man claiming to be god appears to a high school girls' basketball team, telling them that if they don't win the upcoming tournament the world will be destroyed. The girls proceed to completely ignore him and play around, more interested in their love lives than the fate of the world. It's funny, cute, and has great art.

This is the same author as 3 AM Dangerous Zone, which is also pretty enjoyable. The updates for that seem to have gone on hiatus though...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kakukaku Shikajika's Final Chapters

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Now that it's over I can finally read this. I would have started the series earlier, but I've found that I can't bring myself to continue following dramatic series unless if they're finished. I tend to marathon them for the full effect.

If it's as sad as everyone says it is, then it'll be a fun ride. Just like Can't See, Can't Hear, But Love...

:negative:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

good feels and she has good taste in videogames

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The chapters themselves were great but it was the epilogue with the photos that got to me the most. Good Manga.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
A fitting end to a wonderfully human series.

I'm dying.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nate RFB posted:

The chapters themselves were great but it was the epilogue with the photos that got to me the most. Good Manga.

I couldn't stay strong when it came to the last few pages.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

i was really glad for the last one, even if it was so tiny :)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Definitely one of my all time favorites now. Simply stellar.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Just draw.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Yep that was good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I hope she gained a measure of peace from writing and drawing this work.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

So loving good. It's really something of a cosmic joke that those were his last words to his students, inspiring and yet obnoxious in the same way he's been since the very first chapter. Her pulling all that back into her everyday life in the last chapter was also really cool. I'm not really sure where Higashimura is going to take it from here but I'm really loving excited.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

She's going to draw more dumb nerds obsessing over fashion and I can't wait

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, that was great but I think I've had my fill of stuff about people dying for at least the rest of the year.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, that was great but I think I've had my fill of stuff about people dying for at least the rest of the year.

Why do people have to die?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because they are killed.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I hope the guy with cool hair gets in touch with her again.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm not as jaded on Horimiya as some of you, I still love it, but the newest chapter is one of the funniest examples of the "people who can't cook" gag I've ever seen.

http://bato.to/read/_/317649/horimiya_ch50_by_tsp

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah that was good. But pretty much any chapter not involving the main couple has been pretty great, which I'm not sure is a good sign in the long term.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
From the gif thread:

Offkorn posted:

Hori-san to Miyamura-kun:

I hadn't realized that there was an animated adaptation of this. However, I'm aware that there are a few manga versions, so is this similar to the one we read in here? Is it any good?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

From the gif thread:

I hadn't realized that there was an animated adaptation of this. However, I'm aware that there are a few manga versions, so is this similar to the one we read in here? Is it any good?
it looks like there was an anime adaptation of the original series, Hori-san to Miyamura-kun. They might be doing a new anime of Horimiya now but I can't find anything about it, so it's probably the Hori-San one. Haven't watched it yet, though.

Edit: It's Hori-san to Miyamura-kun. Here's a preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvQ-US4cbZ0

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 25, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Just finished reading KakuKaku Shikajika. What a terrible guilt to have. I hope she is able to find some solace and forgiveness for herself in the knowledge that he loved her very much.

Razzled fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 25, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah that was good. But pretty much any chapter not involving the main couple has been pretty great, which I'm not sure is a good sign in the long term.

Seems like even the author has lost interest in the main couple at this point.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Razzled posted:

Just finished reading KakuKaku Shikajika. What a terrible guilt to have. I hope she is able to find some solace and forgiveness for herself in the knowledge that he loved her very much.

Someone spoil the plot for me. If it's sad I don't wanna read it but I wanna know what happens.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's an autobiography so it's not like, forced sadness like some stories have.

Her teacher got lung cancer and was given six months to live. He wanted her to take over his art class, but she kinda abandoned him and went back to being a manga artist, and it's clear she's tortured herself over it forever since.

It's well worth the read, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

It's an autobiography so it's not like, forced sadness like some stories have.

Her teacher got lung cancer and was given six months to live. He wanted her to take over his art class, but she kinda abandoned him and went back to being a manga artist, and it's clear she's tortured herself over it forever since.

It's well worth the read, though.

The manga acts as an apology as well as thanks to him, since she credits his strict tuition for her eventual success as a mangaka. The tone is not gloomy at all, for the most part - it's a really good mix of humour and drama.

I'd love for more mangakas to write autobiographical stuff like this.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 26, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Something Happened But I Can't Remember What by Akira Toriyama

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chas McGill posted:

I'd love for more mangakas to write autobiographical stuff like this.

It's definitely a very different tone but Blue Blazes is great. It's about Kazuhiko Shimamoto's time at Osaka University in the early 80's, along side Hideaki Anno and other notable future GAINAX and Bones members. I don't think any of the manga has been translated yet but there's an excellent live action series.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think this has gotten overlooked since it hasn't been going up on the better mangareader sites, but someone has started picking up the slack on One Week Friends. Its 4 chapters past where Batoto's scanlation left off anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are there any other yuri manga currently getting official English translations other than Gakuen Polizei and Citrus? I have most of the worthwhile ones that are already out.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There is not, as far as i know. Which kinda sucks since neither of those particularly interest me.

e:
That is assuming you've got/read Morinaga's other stuff and Whispered Words.

e:e:
Huh i had no idea Kashimashi got published by Seven Seas as well, never read it although I watched an episode or two...can't remember why i never finished it.

e:e:e:

this is what happened when i searched yuri manga on amazon

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 2, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

All I remember about Kashimashi is that there's an alien, a ship girl, and that apparently lesbianism is tied to being faceblind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Kashimashi anime has a weird ending that does a complete 180 in the last 30 seconds of the second to last episode (which was actually the last broadcast episode), on the other hand it's the only anime I can think of which ends with basically a lesbian wedding.
The manga is a lot better with regards to the love triangle but adds in a bunch more melodrama because of a plot point they never get to in the anime.
Also lol the author stated that he started the main character out as a guy because he was worried his usual readership wouldn't understand otherwise. :sigh: