Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

It seems fine to me so far, what's the problem exactly?

I dunno, ask Chorklefarsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You're the one complaining about it though, so I figured I'd ask what the problem was specifically.
It's not like silly names are forbidden or anything, and you can't put in Starbage Dicksmith as your name, it's just the random name generator has new entries.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The problem was it was a joke you loving robot lol

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
What is a joke?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Starbound is right next to Stardrive in my Steam library. That's a pretty good joke.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

The problem was it was a joke you loving robot lol
Sorry I don't see anything about "jokes" in the patch notes. I think humor is planned for a future update in 2016.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Sorry I don't see anything about "jokes" in the patch notes. I think humor is planned for a future update in 2016.

It's coming with the Hylotl villages

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Okay i've been patient here and i've been trying to get mileage out of the game by making all sorts of modded content for it.
Why did they nerf the drat error log of all things? It used to be line by line but now it's just one huge clod of text and it makes it a nightmare to find errors in the drat thing so I can fix the stuff i'm adding! I mean i'm not going full whiny hand-wringing pages upon pages of shitposting over this, but jesus gently caress. There was no reason to change that! All they did was just make it more difficult for me to make poo poo that isn't broken! :argh:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

I Said No posted:

Okay i've been patient here and i've been trying to get mileage out of the game by making all sorts of modded content for it.
Why did they nerf the drat error log of all things? It used to be line by line but now it's just one huge clod of text and it makes it a nightmare to find errors in the drat thing so I can fix the stuff i'm adding! I mean i'm not going full whiny hand-wringing pages upon pages of shitposting over this, but jesus gently caress. There was no reason to change that! All they did was just make it more difficult for me to make poo poo that isn't broken! :argh:

hahaha that's the stupidest thing ever

They're pretty incompetent, so maybe it's a bug that no one has noticed yet since it's not really user-facing and needs to be reported?

You're opening it in something good like notepad++ that'll properly sort out your new lines for you, right? Man that's dumb, the error log was actually pretty good before.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

XboxPants posted:

hahaha that's the stupidest thing ever

They're pretty incompetent, so maybe it's a bug that no one has noticed yet since it's not really user-facing and needs to be reported?

You're opening it in something good like notepad++ that'll properly sort out your new lines for you, right? Man that's dumb, the error log was actually pretty good before.

I do my modding in notepad++ but I just have a quick link to pop the error log open in regular old notepad. My point is it worked before, it doesn't work now, and there's no immediately obvious reason as to why it got changed. Just frustrating I guess.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

You're the one complaining about it though, so I figured I'd ask what the problem was specifically.
It's not like silly names are forbidden or anything, and you can't put in Starbage Dicksmith as your name, it's just the random name generator has new entries.

Please write me a fully developed thesis on your concerns in MPA style, double spaced with your name clearly printed at the top and I will grade it and send it back to you for your records, thank you for taking my posts so seriously, it's about time someone did because I'm always serious all the time in the Barfsound thread.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

mutata posted:

Please write me a fully developed thesis on your concerns in MPA style, double spaced with your name clearly printed at the top and I will grade it and send it back to you for your records, thank you for taking my posts so seriously, it's about time someone did because I'm always serious all the time in the Barfsound thread.
I think if you check the official site, you'll find it's called "Starbound" not "Barfsound". :rolleyes:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I think if you check the official site, you'll find it's called "Starbound" not "Barfsound". :rolleyes:

Wait, then what the gently caress have I been playing?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

mutata posted:

Wait, then what the gently caress have I been playing?

From that gesture I believe that's your penis.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I Said No posted:

They decided that ruining the fun for the player isn't enough.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
So... what in this threads opinion would need to change about Starbound in order to make it good? Keep in mind that if you don't like a system and can't think of a better way of doing it, that there is no point in even posting it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Also, if you aren't a chef, you can't dislike the taste of any food, so don't even start with that poo poo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in my opinion they should make the game fun to play by making exploration and resource collection interesting and not a boring slog of clashing balance penalties but that's just One Girl's Opinion

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'll start. The new save and quit function they added to the game is pretty interesting and I kinda like it. The problem with it tho is that there is now no way to quickly beam back to your ship from under ground. That being said I think that there should be an upgrade path for your beam up button to make it work in varying depths under ground. Also the quest were you need to dig to the core of your starter planet should have this function accessible to the player at the time.

Edit; also now that I think about it, why not have your beam up function costume core fragments in order to work? It would make the quest were you need to get then for your ship do much easier and also mining in general do much better because it's easier to go down than to go up. And if your mining your already going down so just grab some while your there and you can now go back up. It would also make core fragments useful past the first quests.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

mutata posted:

Also, if you aren't a chef, you can't dislike the taste of any food, so don't even start with that poo poo.

You don't need to be a chef in order to describe what you don't like and recommend what would have made it better. I'm not asking for coding here just ideas. Everyone has those. Also " this spaghetti is poo poo!" "What's wrong with it?" "How am I support to know I'm not a chef!"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So... what in this threads opinion would need to change about Starbound in order to make it good? Keep in mind that if you don't like a system and can't think of a better way of doing it, that there is no point in even posting it.

Personally I don't have any huge problems with it, it's just super pointless to play at all in such an early access state. A large part of what fun does exist in this game is just discovering and playing with all the content. At this point I'm just gonna wait 'til it gets to whatever state of development they eventually get to that they claim is "finished", that has the most content in, and play it then. Otherwise it's just playing the same poo poo over and over again.

Like, theoretically you could ask for something to make the game fun to play long-term, like a worthwhile base-building mechanic, but as is I'm fine with just appreciating what does exist in the game (lots of content that's interesting to discover the first time you see it) rather than fruitlessly wishing it could become something that it's not. (a game with such great base mechanics that it holds up to super long-term play)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Michaellaneous posted:

They decided that ruining the fun for the player isn't enough.
First they came for the players, and I said nothing.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I said this before, but okay, I'll say it again. Starbound will never be a good game as long as the dev team has this weird boner for making everything tedious.

Mining is tedious because you need the updgrades to have it be okay. Why not just give that to the player and make required upgrades to mine the high tier ores that you need later? Tedium, that's why. People have been asking for teleporting thingies since the drat start, and now it's gated behind finding an item and spending cash+spending more time if you want another one or want to move your telly. Why? Because it apparently would be wrong to let people save time with teleporters and this game needs to be tedious. You want to get back to your ship after a long dig? Sucks to be you now spend more time walking back to the surface instead of save+quit because that isn't tedious.

This is only half joking, and actually a serious design problem that has been prevalent since the beginning and so far it has only gotten worse. It's nice that you have all these fun toys that you could potentially play with, but hey, letting you access them in a comfortably fashion is bad and not challenging and this game needs to be challenging! Also tedious. It all circles back to Starbound not knowing what game it wants to be. The sandbox part gets designed around the RPG part that Chucklefish has been trumping up all this time, and that's retarded. The RPG part needs tiers and balance and systems and whatnot, but the sandbox part is the light and fun side of this game but Chucklefish doesn't understand this apparently.

It's insanely funny to me how long the dev process has been going by now, and what the results that we currently have are. Just lol at Starbound

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

more than anything the devs need to figure out what exactly they want the game to be and focus on that aspect instead of having it be a jumbled mess of things that tug in opposite directions

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

more than anything the devs need to figure out what exactly they want the game to be and focus on that aspect instead of having it be a jumbled mess of things that tug in opposite directions

It's probably beyond too late for that. A unified vision wasn't what the game started with, it sure as poo poo won't get one now. Their initial goal was just "terraria but in space" which is a really terrible goal, and now they seem to just not know what they want.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

As odd as this sounds, I think Starbound could take a lot of direction from Animal Crossing. Specifically:

- finite number of unique npcs, with their own personality, looks, and quirks
- item shopping/ordering system, but since you can craft stuff, maybe this really needs to be balanced
- universes or planets (or solar systems?) handled like villages. Visit your friends if you have their co-ordinates (reliant on ip addresses, obviously)
- interstellar mail system, both to and from players AND npcs :3:

Edit: also, real-time time and date tracking, with specific events throughout the galaxy.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Does this game even have a design document?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

mutata posted:

Quarries or automated mining is what I want. Or missions that require me to actually do something interesting like build a mansion using specific materials or craft something complex or discover something awesome. Something singular and game changing that's actually worth working up towards. I've just passed beyond the Floran Party tier and I'm starting to get REALLY tired of the rinse and repeat tiers.

I'll tell you the next mission if you get [armor set].
Ok, go fight [boss] and I'll give you [the next version of the crafting bench/furnace/anvil].
Ok, now go get me [random thing] and I'll give you the [next suit you need to get the next ore].
Ok, I'll tell you the next mission if you get [next armor set]...

At this point I've played the same palette swapped missions over again 3 times. Give me a better early to mid game and give me an actual late game. They put progression and mission structure in an open world game and they want it both ways but instead the missions are boring and the true open world game is locked behind missions so they don't give us EITHER way, really.

Here's a quote back during the only stretch where I gave the game a good dozen hours. As it is now, there's literally no reason to play it. Want to just free build? Too bad everything is locked behind arbitrary progression gates. Want to play through a progression of missions? Too bad the progression that is there is arbitrary and repetitive and not very fun. Want to just explore? You have about 3 hours or so before you've seen everything and you realize that the randomly spawned elements are copy/pasted.

There's no reason to play beyond the beginning "fresh, new game" period.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Anyone who is still posting because they were disappointed months ago by the beta test of a $15 indie game is a loving crazy person.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Bauxite posted:

It's probably beyond too late for that. A unified vision wasn't what the game started with, it sure as poo poo won't get one now. Their initial goal was just "terraria but in space" which is a really terrible goal, and now they seem to just not know what they want.

haha if only

starbound about page posted:

As developers, we’ve been inspired by all the games we grew up playing. From isometric 80s classics to Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid. Celebrated platformers like Mario and Sonic, RPGs such as Elder Scrolls and Ultima, and iconic handheld games such as Pokemon. Starbound draws on numerous classic influences, while taking a thoroughly modern approach to crafting, narrative and world-building. It’s an amalgamation of the games we loved as kids, and the games we love now, fully focused on providing the player with an engrossing, fun experience.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

jumbled mess of things
This is seriously how I would describe the game to someone that doesn't know about it

Adam Bowen posted:

Anyone who is still posting because they were disappointed months ago by the beta test of a $15 indie game is a loving crazy person.
I'm still posting because Starbound is a funny trainwreck that doesn't ever stop. But hey, that's just me

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

The only thing I'm guilty of is being duped into saying something to the people who demand an explanation instead of just empty quoting my post from the last time someone demanded am explanation.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

There we go

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

mutata posted:

There's no reason to play beyond the beginning "fresh, new game" period.

And that's why I think they should just double down on that. They haven't really demonstrated anything to make me trust their ability to dependably develop rich, stable mechanics. So instead, just focus on making a poo poo ton of crazy neat content. More biomes with unique attributes, interesting and different weapon types, new types of enemies with different kinds of attacks, more unique encounters like prebuilt bosses and prebuilt dungeons, more mechanic-light systems like pets, etc.

Chucklefish is not the company I'm going to go to if I'm asking for awesome balanced detailed gameplay systems. They are pretty great at art, though. So hey, focus on what you do well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Agent Kool-Aid had it right, they need to figure out their own game because right now Starbound is a bunch of different things slapped together and a lot of them don't gel at all. They just sort of said "let's do stuff in space and we'll wing it it'll be fine" and here we are. They need a plan, an understanding of their own game, because even though recent updates have polished a lot of stuff like combat, huge overarching concepts just don't work properly together and even if they do that doesn't mean they're fun or engaging. 90% of what's wrong with this game is the design decisions, not the coding or the bugs or the flaws, just the way they've chosen to go with things.

Jackard posted:

First they came for the players, and I said nothing.
Yeah people in this thread are notorious for not speaking up about things they dislike.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

agreed me from seven months ago

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

this is the big thing for me, it's too far along in development to be gutting and adding entire systems to the game but that is exactly what they've been doing, regarding energy usage and combat, one of the primary ways people are going to be interacting with the game

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

As odd as this sounds, I think Starbound could take a lot of direction from Animal Crossing

this is how I feel all the time about every game

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

why is jontron the king of chucklefish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
In hindsight I should have cheated and given him way more gold.

• Locked thread