Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Does anybody know of some good mods that add more clothing to the game that's not skimpy, glued on, see-through, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chaltab posted:

Does anybody know of some good mods that add more clothing to the game that's not skimpy, glued on, see-through, etc?

Clothes clothing? Not really. Armonizer and Immersive Armors are two big armor compilations.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Chaltab posted:

Opulent merchants and maids could qualify for that:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33121/

If that includes robes:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35002/

Clothes in general (some nice, some bad - also includes hyperlinks to other mods in the description tab):
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51813/

If you like the Volkihar armors:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25852/

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pakled posted:

It just occurred to me that disabling ratings and comments on paid mods turns them into even more of a crapshoot than before. No more comments section that contains solutions to common bugs in the mod. No suspiciously low rating to alert you that it might be totally broken. Even with a good mod manager it can be tricky to coordinate playing with severalmods, and Steam Workshop is crap for that, and not having access to comments just makes it all that much more difficult.

Turns out Valve is loving stupid.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Awesome! This was a timely line of questioning because I'm trying to make everyone in Skyrim look better and not-ugly (also not-anime and not-naked) since the environment looks loving rad on my new machine.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Schrodingers cat posted:

Tell me you wouldn't have been stupidly naive at one point if one of your biggest dreams - or something you thought could lead to it - was materializing in front of you.

I guess if I was a kid, if I was 12 and making mods for funsies without any knowledge of the industry I could see getting an email from Valve & really thinking I'd hit the big time and not thinking of the long term impact my choices would have. But aren't these guys adults? It sounds like for the most part they couldn't see past the fantasy of being Superstar Modding Millionaires and jumped on board without knowing the details of the deal they were making and assumed that two giant companies had their best interests in mind, which is the sort of adorable reasoning skills I would only expect in a child.

Schrodingers cat posted:

People sell their family members for money in some bad/poor places in order to obtain a modicum of anything... some of the modders hosed up royally and it's a far cry from the worst mistake that people have done in order to gain some sort of recognition or acknowledgement, let alone money.

So in this scenario, Chesko is a subsistence farming family & Arissa 2.0 is being sold into sex slavery in exchange for soybean seeds?

Killsion posted:

So, on the topic of actual modding. What is the recommended Follower mod of choice? Ultimate Follower Overhaul, Extensible Follower Framework, or Amazing Follower Tweaks?

I use AFT because it suits my needs & is the most stable/compatible on my setup. There's a comparison here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k7IHXW4hbo

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

My girlfriend recently started playing Skyrim fresh and had to deal with all of the stupid armors, rebalances and weapons I'd installed. I almost removed them but I didn't. Now I'm really, really glad I didn't remove them. I highly suggest people take Skyrim off auto-update just in case Bethesda/Valve try to push a patch through that breaks all mods that weren't paid for. gently caress this poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Turns out Valve is loving stupid.

It feels as if some exec got promoted, starting this whole mods cost money thing and this is the result. It's weird and untimely.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 25, 2015

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I guess if I was a kid, if I was 12 and making mods for funsies without any knowledge of the industry I could see getting an email from Valve & really thinking I'd hit the big time and not thinking of the long term impact my choices would have. But aren't these guys adults? It sounds like for the most part they couldn't see past the fantasy of being Superstar Modding Millionaires and jumped on board without knowing the details of the deal they were making and assumed that two giant companies had their best interests in mind, which is the sort of adorable reasoning skills I would only expect in a child.

So in this scenario, Chesko is a subsistence farming family & Arissa 2.0 is being sold into sex slavery in exchange for soybean seeds?

I use AFT because it suits my needs & is the most stable/compatible on my setup. There's a comparison here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k7IHXW4hbo

Maybe that makes me the naive one, then.

Not everyone has corporate knowledge. Some people have never worked for large entities with spreadsheet and flowchart driven purpose. Some people still believe that they may find a company that values them for their skills and as an asset, not merely a number... Or maybe someone is just tired of being a number and they saw in their desperation an opportunity do realize a dream or their conception of a dream. Egos are huge and hard to control, especially for people who don't see themselves in a positive light in general. It's easy to succumb to the temptation and them the realization sets in. I'm just saying I don't blame the modders who had good intentions, no matter how much hell is paved with them. I do loathe the modders who forsake the altruistic premise of the modding community for selfish reasons, for them it was not a trap, it was a way to make money above all and they deserve the karmic bomb that blew up in their face.

Ok, my example was an extreme and did not really work in this situation. I suppose you do have a point, though Chesko did admit he was utterly wrong. Is a fault admitted after the fact as honourable? Perhaps not.

AFT is fantastic.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Thanks for the recs, went with AFT. I noticed last time I modded Skyrim I used AFT also, but figured given the over a year time gap perhaps one of the others had improved past it.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

fennesz posted:

My girlfriend recently started playing Skyrim fresh and had to deal with all of the stupid armors, rebalances and weapons I'd installed. I almost removed them but I didn't. Now I'm really, really glad I didn't remove them. I highly suggest people take Skyrim off auto-update just in case Bethesda/Valve try to push a patch through that breaks all mods that weren't paid for. gently caress this poo poo.

Is this new? I was sure there used to be a no-updates option.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

fennesz posted:

It feels as if some exec got promoted, starting this whole mods cost money thing and this is the result. It's weird and untimely.

It's a trial run for fallout 4 (its rumored to be announced in June at e3 this year) almost undoubtedly.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

MaliciousOnion posted:

Yeah they turned that off today.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

theultimo posted:

I can't tell if you're joking.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I can't tell if you're joking.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Schrodingers cat posted:

Maybe that makes me the naive one, then.

Not everyone has corporate knowledge. Some people have never worked for large entities with spreadsheet and flowchart driven purpose.

You don't have to have experience working in a corporate environment to recognize someone running a game on you, it's like an adult survival mechanism. But yeah, a good way around it is to appeal to a person's ego.

Schrodingers cat posted:

Some people still believe that they may find a company that values them for their skills and as an asset, not merely a number... Or maybe someone is just tired of being a number and they saw in their desperation an opportunity do realize a dream or their conception of a dream.

theultimo posted:

Hahaha those sneaky motherfuckers.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Isnt' that major update from 2012? That's a bit earlier than "today."

e: Yes, it is:

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 25, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's beautiful.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Haha let's not turn this into therapy chat, I'm rather happy with my job and life in general. However, 1 floor down from me is a 600 agent service desk call center and I know many people who would probably fall for that kind of situation easily, even 30-40 year old ones. Hell I've seen some of them backstab ''friends'' for a slightly less lovely position on many occasions.

Many adults get played in life, not just kids.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 25, 2015

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Everything taken together makes this whole thing come off looking shady as hell. Im happy to see it blow up in their face, but I agree with others who said this is just a trial run. Theyre just testing the waters to see what they can get away with. When FO4 and TES6 roll around, were going to see Modgate ver 2.0. Im guessing it'll be more of a season pass or subscription service you have to buy instead of charging per mod.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
I just realized a parallel here: The way a game is extended via mods, is kind of like the way an OS is extended via apps. The additions make the platform more interesting and useful by extending in ways the original authors may have never thought of, and the platform becomes more valuable as a result. And yet, when Microsoft even began to ponder the idea of an app store for Windows, Valve immediately got all huffy and indignant about it, and immediately set to work rolling their own version of Linux that would be under their control, all because Windows would no longer be "open". Kind of rich.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
As has been said earlier, as long as one company alone gets into a position where it pretty much can dictate what will happen in a particular market, you will have things like this happening. Companies don't really follow philosophies beyond "profit". I don't know why people think valve is their friend or something, they'll do whatever they can get away with to make money, just like any other big company in that industry, not better, not worse. You don't get this size by being nice and giving opportunities for profit away because they make you look like a meanie for a week. This does not mean other companies are any different, but as a customer who is somewhat aware of that you should always seek ways to support the underdog when possible, even if that sometimes might mean to not follow the absolute cheapest and most convenient way. That way the market will have something that it's often lacking in many things internet-related - competition. Competition is healthy, competition stimulates progress and lowers prices, competition is good for you as customer. People will probably take a poo poo on this post because nowadays it's uncool to care and we apparently live in a nihilistic vacuum where nothing ever matters or something, but well, it's what I think.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Police Automaton posted:

As has been said earlier, as long as one company alone gets into a position where it pretty much can dictate what will happen in a particular market, you will have things like this happening. Companies don't really follow philosophies beyond "profit". I don't know why people think valve is their friend or something, they'll do whatever they can get away with to make money, just like any other big company in that industry, not better, not worse. You don't get this size by being nice and giving opportunities for profit away because they make you look like a meanie for a week. This does not mean other companies are any different, but as a customer who is somewhat aware of that you should always seek ways to support the underdog when possible, even if that sometimes might mean to not follow the absolute cheapest and most convenient way. That way the market will have something that it's often lacking in many things internet-related - competition. Competition is healthy, competition stimulates progress and lowers prices, competition is good for you as customer. People will probably take a poo poo on this post because nowadays it's uncool to care and we apparently live in a nihilistic vacuum where nothing ever matters or something, but well, it's what I think.

I've never been as enthusiastic about Steam as a lot of other people seemed to be. For the most part, it was something I merely tolerated. I'm one of those people who really misses physical copies of games, and it was disappointing to me to see everyone raving about how great digital distribution is. I remember reading some discussion about how great Freespace 2 is, and someone said "I wish it was on Steam", even though it was available on GOG, which gives you less bullshit. That seemed insane to me.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ImPureAwesome posted:

It's a trial run for fallout 4 (its rumored to be announced in June at e3 this year) almost undoubtedly.

I'm sure you're probably right. It makes me think of the case and gun skin system in CS:GO. Valve not only gets $2 for each case opened but they get a portion of every transaction made within the market place. They're making a loving killing doing this poo poo. Why not bring more games into the fold?

MaliciousOnion posted:

Yes. There used to be a "do not update this game" option, which is now conspicuously absent. I'm just not going to check it in hopes that if it doesn't force me to choose a new option, it'll continue to ignore updates :banjo:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Praetorian Mage posted:

I've never been as enthusiastic about Steam as a lot of other people seemed to be. For the most part, it was something I merely tolerated. I'm one of those people who really misses physical copies of games, and it was disappointing to me to see everyone raving about how great digital distribution is. I remember reading some discussion about how great Freespace 2 is, and someone said "I wish it was on Steam", even though it was available on GOG, which gives you less bullshit. That seemed insane to me.

I'd been getting a bad feeling about Steam incresingly over the past year, and redeemed my kickstarter credit for Pillars of Eternity with GoG. A very good decision, in retrospect.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The do not update option has been gone for years

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

In a hilariously weird development, the comments section on "Give Me Money For No Reason" has devolved into a petty slapfight, because enough people are voting it File of the Month that it's in danger of overtaking a "real" mod for the #1 spot. Certain users see this as such an affront that they're demanding I take the file down.

Now I'm going to have to write a serious post in the comments of an extremely silly mod to defend myself over a decision that wasn't even mine to make.

It's super ironic that this is happening over a mod that's supposed to be all about solidarity. My mind is reeling trying to parse this poo poo.

I think people are severely overestimating the importance of "File of the Month." It's not as if we're in contention for a loving Nobel Prize.

And gently caress no I'm not taking it down.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

fennesz posted:

I'm sure you're probably right. It makes me think of the case and gun skin system in CS:GO. Valve not only gets $2 for each case opened but they get a portion of every transaction made within the market place. They're making a loving killing doing this poo poo. Why not bring more games into the fold?

I'm pretty sure this was a scheme by Bethesda to make some money off of modding. They get a 45% cut, which is way larger than the 30% Valve gets. Interviews with Bethesda constanlty talk about how important modding is to their games, so it's no surprise they would try to monetize it sometime down the line.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SH9dnQfec9E

Novajam weighs in

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Holy poo poo the Sky UI posts on the Nexus mod page... wow. Mardoxx is doing some of the worst PR I've seen in quite some time. Also Sky UI 5.0 will probably cost 5 bucks. They apparently expect a dollar from each purchase, while of course 45% goes to Bethesda due to people buying the mod which fixed their own atrocious UI.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

AlmightyBob posted:

The do not update option has been gone for years

Pretty sure this is the case.

There is nothing stopping Bethesda from pushing out a patch to break the free version of SkyUI as soon as the paid version is up and at this point it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they do. *Everyone* uses SkyUI because the default interface is hideous and painful.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

There is nothing stopping Bethesda from pushing out a patch to break the free version of SkyUI as soon as the paid version is up and at this point it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they do. *Everyone* uses SkyUI because the default interface is hideous and painful.

That wouldn't stop someone from fixing the old SkyUI though. Never underesimate the power of being a cheapass.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I believe the creator said they wouldn't abandon the free version of SkyUI, insofar as basic functioning is concerned at least.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Of course, there's also nothing stopping people from "acquiring" the paid version of SkyUI and continuing on their merry way. I'm sure there will also be ways to "acquire" the previous version of the Skyrim exe. Since the patch we're talking about will likely include no actual benefit, it shouldn't be a big deal not to upgrade.

I think Skyrim is relatively safe. The real problem is future games.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

closeted republican posted:

I'm pretty sure this was a scheme by Bethesda to make some money off of modding. They get a 45% cut, which is way larger than the 30% Valve gets. Interviews with Bethesda constanlty talk about how important modding is to their games, so it's no surprise they would try to monetize it sometime down the line.

I think wanting to monetize makes sense but if they're taking a cut they need to do basic testing. If an item crashes my game because it conflicts with another item I have installed, that's fine. If I paid money for it...that's a problem.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

closeted republican posted:

That wouldn't stop someone from fixing the old SkyUI though. Never underesimate the power of being a cheapass.

That's a good point I never realized.
Nothing is stopping people from modifying and updating the old free versions against the wishes of the original creators.

Wow, this could really destroy the skyrim modding community (not modding, not the skyrim community, but the skyrim modding community). People are already pirating mods. What will it take for knock offs to appear on the Nexus or workshop?

The tears really have only just begun...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nerd Of Prey posted:

In a hilariously weird development, the comments section on "Give Me Money For No Reason" has devolved into a petty slapfight, because enough people are voting it File of the Month that it's in danger of overtaking a "real" mod for the #1 spot. Certain users see this as such an affront that they're demanding I take the file down.

Please keep us informed of this serious violation of your modders rights.

Or something, I don't know what hyperbole they're using these days.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I believe the creator said they wouldn't abandon the free version of SkyUI, insofar as basic functioning is concerned at least.

The creator said SkyUI would still be available free but would see no further updates; all versions from here out you'll have to pay for.

It would be simple enough for an official patch to come out soon that just so happens to break the current version of SkyUI, followed a day later by a SkyUI update that fixes it--but you only get it if you pay the :10bux: because the free version isn't getting any new updates, I already told you all that why are you freaking out??

Piracy will of course be an option but I myself have barely passable mod-fu and will probably decide it's not worth the hassle of setting everything up manually and just not play Skyrim anymore. YMMV.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The creator said SkyUI would still be available free but would see no further updates; all versions from here out you'll have to pay for.

It would be simple enough for an official patch to come out soon that just so happens to break the current version of SkyUI, followed a day later by a SkyUI update that fixes it--but you only get it if you pay the :10bux: because the free version isn't getting any new updates, I already told you all that why are you freaking out??

Piracy will of course be an option but I myself have barely passable mod-fu and will probably decide it's not worth the hassle of setting everything up manually and just not play Skyrim anymore. YMMV.

He's said he'll be backporting core features to the free version, which presumably includes "basic functionality", so this issue wouldn't come up. That said the whole idea of an update designed to break mods in an effort to further monetization seems like baseless fearmongering anyway.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would certainly HOPE Bethesda isn't evil or stupid enough to attempt such a thing. But I'd have said that about the entire pay-for-mods concept two days ago so I can hardly blame anyone that wants to put on a tonfoil cap right now.

I think Praetorian Mage is right and Skyrim will mostly be fine and this is mostly about future Bethesda games, which anyone who buys one is a fool who deserves to be parted from their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'll admit I haven't ventured into mod piracy myself, but my guess would be that the pirates will pack the mods in an archive just like you'd get from Nexus. Then you'd just install with NMM or MO like normal.

• Locked thread