Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

The path to Mt Kosciusko

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Highest point in Pennsylvania is 3200 feet. Hills everywhere but not a mountain in sight. :smith:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I climbed Clingman's Dome when I was nine. Then a bear came and I was scared.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

The path to Mt Kosciusko

We just don't have the exciting geographic activity to get really tall mountains.
If you're up for a challenge, try jogging across the Nullabor Plain.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
In Oklahoma, we used to say defensively that our mountains were so low because they were OLDER. I don't know if this is true.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm a fat nerd. I like living. The nullabor is not for me.

I was just very disappointed when I got to the top of Kosciusko.

i climbed up that, which was nowhere near as high, but it was way more intense. Another part of that national park has a track that goes through heaps of trees, up some stairs, through a 10m or so tight crevasse, and you are just on a cliff without any sort of warning at all. It way way cooler and only a 6 hour round trip opposed to the 32 (of just driving) to get to Kosciusko national park. The road was very cool though, you get into the park and it has one of those twisty road signs with Next 60km under it :getin:

Even Mt Warning in NSW is better, and thats a 4 hour course, you have to rock climb to get to the peak.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
First Ascent of The Matterhorn by Gustav Dore

First Descent of The Matterhorn by Gustav Dore

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

Heh, there's even someone taking a selfie on the top. This Dore guy was pretty forward-thinking.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Madcosby posted:

First Descent of The Matterhorn by Gustav Dore

Fantastic.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
7.7 earthquake west of Kathmandu. Time will tell if this destabilizes any paths up.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Bensa posted:

7.7 earthquake west of Kathmandu. Time will tell if this destabilizes any paths up.

I was just checking in here to see if it buried everyone. The pictures of Kathmandu are pretty scary.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
uh-oh

https://twitter.com/ivanbraun/status/591865737431613440

quote:

#Everest UPDATE MIDCAMP ON SOUTH SIDE WIPED OUT, MANY PEOPLE MSISING. SAR LAUNCHED

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh man, my guess of 5 may be way too low.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/strong-earthquake-felt-nepals-capital-30576522

Crazy, yesterday I was reading about the earlier quake that obliterated former Kathmandu. And after the Google View tour of the area, the place looked like anything would shatter it. I guess these pictures say that's true.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The blood god smiles.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

https://twitter.com/NorthmenPK/status/591880707133181952

quote:

#Everest camp1 and camp 2 swept away by avalanche, many climbers missing. climbers also missing from north side as per reports.

:ohdear:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Congrats death pool, even with an over saturation of entries you still probably underestimated this years reaping.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
drat, I knew I should have bet on "the earth swallows all of them."

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Oh wow, looking at pictures of what this earthquake has done, I can't imagine being on Everest during such a thing :ohdear:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Well if it was felt in New Delhi... I thought being 150km from Kathmandu which wasn't the epicenter would lessen the doom and gloom aspect. But dang.

Edit: The speed of a video of Kathmandu after is amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAv0yHowP6Y

Dely Apple fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 25, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
7.7 is a big loving quake. But don't worry, if anyone can survive it, it's the large group of highly trained moutaineers who were about to scale Everest.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Basecamp also very damaged according to some dude on Twitter

https://twitter.com/danielmazur/status/591878398999330817

Now you just know there's a debate raging in Camp 4 about whether to summit or not after having just watched the camps below them get wiped out.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Uhh is this pic real? https://twitter.com/northmenpk/status/591876690873163776

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

PostNouveau posted:

Basecamp also very damaged according to some dude on Twitter

https://twitter.com/danielmazur/status/591878398999330817

Now you just know there's a debate raging in Camp 4 about whether to summit or not after having just watched the camps below them get wiped out.

Two years of avalances in a row now. Everest is tired of nerds on the internet making fun of how easy it is to ascend it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Yes, from last year.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

haha wow

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

So the Indian team of army guys or whoever that went to pick up poo poo off the mountain are apparently safe and are now in rescue mode instead of garbage mode.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Yes, from last year.

Yeah I just found that out after browsing Twitter for 15 minutes waiting for someone to call them out. These pics seem to be from today though: https://twitter.com/rizalzulkapli/status/591890188411895809

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

So the Indian team of army guys or whoever that went to pick up poo poo off the mountain are apparently safe and are now in rescue mode instead of garbage mode.

You could say that pulling body bags of rich adventure tourists off the mountain is still considered to be in garbage mode.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have a friend who lives in New Dehli who is talking about feeling it on Facebook, so I went to the USGS earthquake map, and saw it was centered in Nepal. I was being facetious with my death count number, but now I'm not so sure. :ohdear:

There's been a lot of foreshocks and aftershocks too, 13 14 total quakes so far including the big one.

Here's a link to the site and specific area: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...2%3Afalse%7D%7D

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

7.7 is a big loving quake.

According to that USGS link it was a 7.9. And one of the aftershocks was a 6.6. That's some serious loving movement.

Everest season has officially begun. :getin:

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I wonder how many Sherpas are going to scram now. After last year's avalanche and now an earthquake. If I believed in a mountain god, I'd take these to be strong signs to get the gently caress away.

Next year, a boulder rolls through camp, crushing a few dozen. In 2017, lava.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Meatwave posted:

I wonder how many Sherpas are going to scram now. After last year's avalanche and now an earthquake.

Next year, a boulder rolls through camp, crushing a few dozen. In 2017, lava.

I wonder how messed up their riggings and ladders are now thanks to the avalanches and possible glacial shifts where they cross crevasses. You can't go up if your ladders are at the bottom of a 200m drop, right?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Meatwave posted:

I wonder how many Sherpas are going to scram now. After last year's avalanche and now an earthquake. If I believed in a mountain god, I'd take these to be strong signs to get the gently caress away.

They already are: https://twitter.com/threadalist/status/591899614158069760

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

AGREE (hope he got paid)

When you scare Sherpa I guess you should be running too.

Mr. Big Snacks
Jul 26, 2006
Holy loving lol

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Dely Apple posted:

AGREE (hope he got paid)

When you scare Sherpa I guess you should be running too.

They don't pay them because journalism in 2015.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I can't believe I locked myself in at 11 icicles. What a tragedy T_T

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

drat, I knew I should have bet on "the earth swallows all of them."

Guess who is in for "everyone"? :smuggo:

• Locked thread