Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not really any more dumb than dolls.

yeah pretty much this. they're both dumb names, who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
What do giant mechs and slang for homeless people have in common?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I prefer skells over dolls because dolls is such an anime term for mecha they might as well call them figma or metal gears

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Fungah! posted:

yeah pretty much this. they're both dumb names, who gives a poo poo

no man dolls is the best name becuase i'm am 6

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Calaveron posted:

I prefer skells over dolls because dolls is such an anime term for mecha they might as well call them figma or metal gears

hmmmmmmmm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Mecha is also an anime term for mecha.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
how about instead of Dolls they call them amiibos, which is just another name for dolls.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
pretty obvious from the beginning they weren't going to keep the name "doll" in a game they actually want people to buy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Calaveron posted:

anime

anime anime

anime

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i don't care what they call them because whatever they call them they're still giant robots, which are cool

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ok fine sheesh GIANT ROBOTS THAT ARE CONTROLLED FROM THE INSIDE WITH AN ENTIRELY MECHANICAL INTERFACE

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The only name that would be worse that Dolls would be d0LL-z

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Are you guys really this concerned with what the big robots are called?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I have less of a problem with Japanese people coming up with a really dumb name for giant robots than I do with native English speakers coming up with a really dumb name for giant robots. Apparently I am not alone.

hth

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

The best anime robot name will always be the Sagans

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Francis posted:

I have less of a problem with Japanese people coming up with a really dumb name for giant robots than I do with native English speakers coming up with a really dumb name for giant robots. Apparently I am not alone.

hth

Giant robots are inherently dumb so a dumb name is entirely fitting.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Motto posted:

More concerned that they felt the need to change unions into professions and how "Testament is going to be changed" when it's perfectly fine as it is. Some unions even have the name incorporated into the logo. Are they going to waste time changing those too because some American out there might get kerfuffled about vaguely religious names in their video games?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

How dare they sully glorious Nippon with their americanisms

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Dastardly posted:

More concerned that they felt the need to change unions into professions and how "Testament is going to be changed" when it's perfectly fine as it is. Some unions even have the name incorporated into the logo. Are they going to waste time changing those too because some American out there might get kerfuffled about vaguely religious names in their video games?

If some americans are going to get their feathers ruffled over a vague religious name they don't have any business playing a xeno game.

I agree though, I don't see the point in changing names that are already in English and slowing down the localization process already.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

You guys are talking about some stuff that matters very little considering we just had an awesome direct with 2015 at the end.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Skell is dumb as hell

Yep. definitely the worst part of the presentation.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Xavier434 posted:

You guys are talking about some stuff that matters very little considering we just had an awesome direct with 2015 at the end.

This right here. This means I have less than a year to get a Wii U.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Xavier434 posted:

Khisanth Magus posted:

This right here. This means I have less than a year to get a Wii U.

That's always been the case. But if this is what they've spent the last year on then there's no way they'll release it before the absolute last possible date that still technically counts as 2015.
If you think this direct was awesome then stay far, far away from the Japanese ones.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Dastardly posted:

That's always been the case.

Right but we all know that delays happen. Seeing them officially commit to 2015 again at this point in the year is reassuring.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Some guy in China got the game and is streaming it. Which means people as a whole might have some access to the game now. If you're the type to be cautious of spoilers, it's time to put your head in the sand for a very, very long time.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Some guy in China got the game and is streaming it. Which means people as a whole might have some access to the game now. If you're the type to be cautious of spoilers, it's time to put your head in the sand for a very, very long time.

You can't just post that and not give a link.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

http://www.douyutv.com/234927

Fair warning: His character has extremely oversized breasts, the most Moe~ voice and is currently wearing swimsuit bottoms. He's pretty much just critical pathing the story and skipping every cutscene, so there are actually probably not that many spoilers... Yet.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Holy poo poo the voice when he jumps, lol.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Doll was loving dumb, I'm glad they changed it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This does seem like a pretty good game to just hang around in. Customize everything, go exploring, kill some monster, just mess about.

e: You just clip through cars when you run into them.

Terper fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 25, 2015

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The more they show of this, the less interesting it looks to me. You clip through a whole load of poo poo; some attack animations see you clip right through enemy models, some melee animations can trigger from ten feet away, you stab at the air and a number appears by the enemy to indicate you hit it. It's the least visceral combat I've seen in a single player, real-time RPG, and everything seems to have zero impact. Very few attacks even make an enemy stagger or react. I understand why MMOs do it - but this isn't massively multiplayer!

The fact the whole screen becomes super cluttered with numbers, giant QTE buttons, and all manner of other things in combat is off putting too. I know it's a JRPG, but when they said they wanted to be Japan's answer to Bethesda I did get my hopes up.

Will there be anything interesting to do in the game world apart from collect X amount of herbs and kill X amount of monsters? Only having one town is kind of a bummer, I guess it means everywhere else will essentially be featureless wilderness.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rabelais D posted:

I know it's a JRPG, but when they said they wanted to be Japan's answer to Bethesda I did get my hopes up.

Who said this and also lol because all of Bethesda's RPG's are terrible boring expanses of nothing.

Xenoblade was MMO combat but offline and so is the sequel and I'm pretty sure no-one has represented it as anything else.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 25, 2015

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
They said they wanted to be more like Bethesda:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/14/inspired-by-bethesda-softworks-monolith-soft-looks-forward-to-jumping-into-the-next-gen/

Not having played Xenoblade I don't know what I was expecting, but the combat is really putting me off.

I'm still interested to see if there is anything cool to do in the game world itself.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

katkillad2 posted:

Doll was loving dumb, I'm glad they changed it.

Yeah, it was. Did people honestly thing they were going to keep calling them Dolls in English? :psyduck: I figured all along the name was going to change. It's basically the quintessential example of "Japan loves the way English sounds and loves shoving English words into games," even if the word would sound dumb to English-speakers. And it did. Dolls was a dumb name.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Why can none of these streamers put some loving pants on their characters.

It's a rhetorical question, but gently caress.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
X always seemed to look like they were taking the "offline MMO" aspect of the original and cranking it up to the point it looks more like the game itself was designed more like an MMO as well, with actual online play this time around. If the story wasn't anchoring the game to have a still mostly single-player focus, the game would quite literally be Xenoblade Online.

So far, the only thing that direct yesterday made me was mad. Maybe I was expecting too much, I was gonna be all like "oh yeah, we'll be able to hear some of the english voices and get a close release date." but nope, the direct was only a window of despair showing exactly why NoA had been dead silent about the game for quite some time despite the JP version being mere days from release. Here I was thinking that surely they recognized this was a higher profile title this time around and actually made efforts to close the release window gap but nope again, the localization was so far behind that they didn't even have an english build to show in their own direct and the best they could do was toss out tentative english titles for certain things. Maybe I was too optimistic about being able to play it soon, I dunno, but "still coming this year" wasn't that great of news given the state of readiness they appeared to be in, and clearly nothing substantial is going to be said until at least E3, where they could turn it around and perhaps dispel the notions of what now looks like an early-mid December release at best if they can even keep it within 2015.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

X always seemed to look like they were taking the "offline MMO" aspect of the original and cranking it up to the point it looks more like the game itself was designed more like an MMO as well, with actual online play this time around. If the story wasn't anchoring the game to have a still mostly single-player focus, the game would quite literally be Xenoblade Online.

So far, the only thing that direct yesterday made me was mad. Maybe I was expecting too much, I was gonna be all like "oh yeah, we'll be able to hear some of the english voices and get a close release date." but nope, the direct was only a window of despair showing exactly why NoA had been dead silent about the game for quite some time despite the JP version being mere days from release. Here I was thinking that surely they recognized this was a higher profile title this time around and actually made efforts to close the release window gap but nope again, the localization was so far behind that they didn't even have an english build to show in their own direct and the best they could do was toss out tentative english titles for certain things. Maybe I was too optimistic about being able to play it soon, I dunno, but "still coming this year" wasn't that great of news given the state of readiness they appeared to be in, and clearly nothing substantial is going to be said until at least E3, where they could turn it around and perhaps dispel the notions of what now looks like an early-mid December release at best if they can even keep it within 2015.

The direct sucked yeah but you're reading way too much into them not showing off the English version.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Terper posted:

In the future pants are optional!

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Terper posted:

At least someone is showing the game off instead of showing things we've already seen then thinking people haven't seen or heard about the other doll models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Terper posted:

In-game characters have to accurately represet the streamer.

• Locked thread