Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I CAN TEXT AGAIN!

T-Force (T-Mobile's social networking team) suggested I get a new SIM after a bit of back and forth. Stopped by a T-Mo store tonight, they swapped the SIM, texting now works. Store did mention they usually charge $15 for a replacement SIM, but that he was waiving it as a one time courtesy. I showed him the email from T-Force saying they had noted my account to waive the fee, he looked a little deeper and said "oh, they sure did. Oops!".

Guy I talked to was pretty knowledgeable, and basically said that there's a few settings a rep can touch that can't be fixed without a new SIM. That's apparently what happened to me after my last call to them. When I told him the "worldwide LG texting outage" story I'd gotten from "tech support" over the phone he actually burst out laughing and said they pull that all the time if they don't want to deal with an issue.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Called every junkyard near me and there is not one single Cobalt amongst then. I figured they'd be lousy with 'em. Time to overpay on eBay so I can pass inspection, yay.

What are you looking for? The Pontiac G5 is nearly identical if you're not looking for body panels. Most mechanical stuff will swap from the Ion as well, except for the gas tank and clutch hydraulics. Obviously the SS stuff is going to be Cobalt/IRL specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My girlfriend really really wants us to have more couple friends that we can go to dinner with and do wine tastings and basically poo poo that will make me miserable. But I love her so I've been trying. She has this really close friend from school so I've been paired off with the husband a few times because we have "similar interests." He says he's into cars and poo poo but he drives an auto Saab and can't even wrap his head around the concept of RWD. But still, sort of nice dude but really weird.

So I friend him on Facebook the other day and today a whole fuckload of anti-vax bullshit is polluting my feed an it's all poo poo he's posted, shared or commented on. Dude is clearly anti-science and his head is waaaaaaay far up his rear end.

<sigh>

I bet I still have to hang out with him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend really really wants us to have more couple friends that we can go to dinner with and do wine tastings and basically poo poo that will make me miserable. But I love her so I've been trying. She has this really close friend from school so I've been paired off with the husband a few times because we have "similar interests." He says he's into cars and poo poo but he drives an auto Saab and can't even wrap his head around the concept of RWD. But still, sort of nice dude but really weird.

So I friend him on Facebook the other day and today a whole fuckload of anti-vax bullshit is polluting my feed an it's all poo poo he's posted, shared or commented on. Dude is clearly anti-science and his head is waaaaaaay far up his rear end.

<sigh>

:catstare: Its not worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare: Its not worth it.

I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE.

This is my penance for not being a stupid sack of poo poo. I am cursed to be surrounded by them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Jesus titty-loving Christ I hate previous owners.

I knew my XJ had developed a mysteriously fast-spreading rust problem in the rockers. I did not expect that the rear corner of the rockers, on both sides, was actually tinfoil and bondo stretched over Great Stuff and then covered in bedliner. This loving guy, I swear.

Well, I knew I was probably replacing the rockers anyway, and I needed to learn to weld, but I guess it's higher priority now. Any good suggestions for learning how to do bodywork for dummies?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhyno posted:

<sigh>

My wife makes me hang out with her best friend's husband. I can't loving stand the guy, she told me he was a pilot, but apparently he got his licence purely to fly for Air Canada but then didn't get the job so went PR or secretary or some poo poo instead. Turns out he did it not because he likes flying (I could respect that, trying to do something you love as a career) but because he heard the money was good.

Also sometimes he says things that makes me think he doesn't treat his wife that well, not like serious abuse or anything, but more like he wanted a maid more than a partner. It's a shame because his wife is actually a lovely person. We saw Book of Mormon with them a few weeks ago, and he seemed mad because he was unaware it was a musical. I tried to explain that most plays you see are musicals but I guess that was too faggy a response for him or something.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

And here's another thing. At 70 mph, my Suburban is doing 2,500 RPM with the torque converter locked up. And it's supposedly got an extra-short 4.10 rear end. But the Focus (five speed) is doing almost 3,000. Guess that would explain the lower highway fuel economy than the auto (36 vs 40, or 38 with flappy paddles), and also the :rice: in first gear.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 25, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

One of my wife's friends doesn't believe the moon landings happened.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MustardFacial posted:

My wife makes me hang out with her best friend's husband. I can't loving stand the guy, she told me he was a pilot, but apparently he got his licence purely to fly for Air Canada but then didn't get the job so went PR or secretary or some poo poo instead. Turns out he did it not because he likes flying (I could respect that, trying to do something you love as a career) but because he heard the money was good.

Err, becoming a commercial pilot is a pretty expensive thing...?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

CharlesM posted:

Err, becoming a commercial pilot is a pretty expensive thing...?

I asked him why he didn't join the air force first as it seems a lot of commercial airline pilots are ex-airforce and he said "you can get shot down in the airforce"

[edit] I don't think he has a full on commercial licence. He applied for some trainee thing where they train you or something? I don't really know the full details of it.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 25, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Words I thought I would NEVER say in Sydney....

"YOU WANNA BUILD A SNOWMAN??????""

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Cat Terrist posted:

Words I thought I would NEVER say in Sydney....

"YOU WANNA BUILD A SNOWMAN??????""

Looks a lot more like hail than snow to me!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cakefool posted:

The moon landings were faked, they filmed them on a soundstage on mars.

... :v:

As for commercial piloting, he is an idiot, the pay is utter poo poo (until you have a ton of experience you could literally make more at mcdonalds in some cases) and the hours are long. Also the training is in fact really expensive.

I don't know why we actually have commercial pilots.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, I knew I was probably replacing the rockers anyway, and I needed to learn to weld, but I guess it's higher priority now. Any good suggestions for learning how to do bodywork for dummies?

Get a cheapo mig, something above harbor freight teir. Get a good roll of hobart wire from tractor supply. Get some cheap pieces of scrap to practice on while you fiddle with the knobs. Just go for it.

I did a complex wheel arch replacement on my RS as my first welding job and it came out OK. Cherokee rockers are easy compared to it as they are mostly square with no complex curves. I've done two cherokee rockers in my thread. Sure they don't look like factory perfect lines, but they will hold up FINE.

Once you've got the thing all welded up, paint the outside with chassis saver and the inside spray with Eastwood's internal frame coating and it should last a long time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

kastein posted:

Glamour.

I'm watching Avengers Assemble with my son, playing Lego (we're building a campfire, caravans, jeeps and there are snakes now) and 2 things: 1: the guy playing computer games on the shield ship bridge cracks me up every time. 2: my son just came out with "When I'm older can I drink beer with you? I think Ironman would be better with beer. Is it?"

:3:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Glamour.

I'm watching Avengers Assemble with my son, playing Lego (we're building a campfire, caravans, jeeps and there are snakes now) and 2 things: 1: the guy playing computer games on the shield ship bridge cracks me up every time. 2: my son just came out with "When I'm older can I drink beer with you? I think Ironman would be better with beer. Is it?"

:3:

That just warms my heart. The first time my son saw me drinking and working on my car he told his mother " one day ill drink beer and work on cars like daddy." Kids are the best.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I work as a support/project management engineer for a car manufacturer, he wants to make cars like daddy when he's older. I love taking him to the annual open day to see where I work. I'm looking forward to building a toylander jeep with him when we move.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Friar Zucchini posted:

And here's another thing. At 70 mph, my Suburban is doing 2,500 RPM with the torque converter locked up. And it's supposedly got an extra-short 4.10 rear end. But the Focus (five speed) is doing almost 3,000. Guess that would explain the lower highway fuel economy than the auto (36 vs 40, or 38 with flappy paddles), and also the :rice: in first gear.
I just find it hard to believe they still haven't given the (non-ST) Focus a 6M yet. Jesus christ ITS 2015!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cakefool posted:

I work as a support/project management engineer for a car manufacturer, he wants to make cars like daddy when he's older. I love taking him to the annual open day to see where I work. I'm looking forward to building a toylander jeep with him when we move.

I always loved going to work with Dad. Even the occasional take your kid to work day wasn't too bad. Now I work at the same company and once a year or so get to work with him on an install or upgrade. Life has a funny way of working out.

Realized on the way to get groceries this morning that at this time next weekend I'll be racing (with Dad), hell yes. First race of the season :rice:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 25, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MustardFacial posted:

Hahahaha...haha...ha...:smith:

If you're getting into professional flying for the money, you've probably got more brain damage than Viggen. I can't think of a job that is as stressful, demanding and at the same time so utterly underpaid as a commercial pilot, and I'm not just saying that because I am one. It's a pretty rough existence for like the first ten years of your career, and after that the pay only goes from "insultingly bad" to "barely tolerable". The things that just about all of you take for granted, like being home every weeknight, having a normal schedule that is conducive to normal relationships and sleep patterns, not being one doctor's visit from a permanent end to your career and many other things is frankly something I am envious of you all. Again, if the pay was reasonable it would be one thing, but since it isn't...

If I knew what this was going to be like before I embarked on this career path, I would have never even considered it.

kastein posted:

Because in spite of what Silicon Valley tries to ram down our throats on a daily basis, computers are not ready to fly a commercial aircraft autonomously. Even if they are ready one day, it's going to take a huge change in attitude from from the public before it becomes acceptable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend really really wants us to have more couple friends that we can go to dinner with and do wine tastings and basically poo poo that will make me miserable.

MustardFacial posted:

My wife makes me hang out with her best friend's husband.

This never works, and thankfully my wife doesn't make me do it because her best friend's husband is a moron.

Finding a couple that you both like is close to impossible, just hang out with your own friends and leave your spouse out of it :colbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Re: Spouse chat

I am glad mine has friends that are pretty tolerable. Most of her friends husbands are into smoking meat, shooting guns, and a few other things that interest me. She likes hanging out with most of my friends, but their spouses are a bunch of stick in the mud type people. But FWIW - I really don't care for most of my friends spouses - its not like they are lovely or awful people, but they aren't super huge into the things I like.

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus titty-loving Christ I hate previous owners.

I knew my XJ had developed a mysteriously fast-spreading rust problem in the rockers. I did not expect that the rear corner of the rockers, on both sides, was actually tinfoil and bondo stretched over Great Stuff and then covered in bedliner. This loving guy, I swear.

Watch Mills Fleet Farm ad, they run a special on the Hobart Auto Arc 130 for 350ish- Its a 110v unit, comes with a cart, regulator, helmet and machine, and a bonus, the Auto Arc 130 is "last years" Miller. Even when you pull the manual up online, it pops up as Miller and no mention of Hobart. I know we live in the same area - shoot me a PM if you want to try mine out. I need to get a bottle on mine, but I have flux core, and once you get poo poo dialed in, its smokey and has a little more spatter than MIG.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Re: Spouse chat

I am glad mine has friends that are pretty tolerable. Most of her friends husbands are into smoking meat, shooting guns, and a few other things that interest me. She likes hanging out with most of my friends, but their spouses are a bunch of stick in the mud type people. But FWIW - I really don't care for most of my friends spouses - its not like they are lovely or awful people, but they aren't super huge into the things I like.

Watch Mills Fleet Farm ad, they run a special on the Hobart Auto Arc 130 for 350ish- Its a 110v unit, comes with a cart, regulator, helmet and machine, and a bonus, the Auto Arc 130 is "last years" Miller. Even when you pull the manual up online, it pops up as Miller and no mention of Hobart. I know we live in the same area - shoot me a PM if you want to try mine out. I need to get a bottle on mine, but I have flux core, and once you get poo poo dialed in, its smokey and has a little more spatter than MIG.

Jesus. My Lincoln was like $700 from Homedepot.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ozmiander posted:

Jesus. My Lincoln was like $700 from Homedepot.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hobart-auto-arc-130-wire-feed-mig-welding-kit/0000000031165

The Hobart Handler 140 is more, I know the 10 amps over the Auto Arc 130 would have been helpful, but my next step will be 220v, so save a little cash right now.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hobart-handler-140-mig-welder/0000000069035

Edit: the duty cycles were the same a max, just 130amps vs 140amps, would have upped me from doing 3/16 to 1/4. But pretty much all cars frames are 3/16 or less, so I am fine with what I have.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 25, 2015

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
My ex was disliked by quite a few of my friends, and when I heard about it after we were separated I thought, jeez why didn't you say something? It certainly would have given me pause if not cause me to reevaluate what I was doing.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Friar Zucchini posted:

My 2014 5 speed Focus gets 38-40 with summer gas with the A/C on. Here's a trip from MA -> southern NJ I took last year, including NYC traffic, in August, the A/C was on the whole way. You just have to find the sweet spot.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, they're fun in the low gears. I hear the Cobb motor mounts help a lot with some of the issues, especially wheel-hop in 1st gear. Thankfully the 5 speed ones have a factory limited slip so you're not roasting one tire. The clutch engagement point takes a lot of getting used to. :)

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 25, 2015

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I thought that you had just called a landrover a jeep, which would mean :fuckoff:. However I looked at the toylander website first and they do actually do a jeep now too. I still think you should do a toylander 2 instead though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

I thought that you had just called a landrover a jeep, which would mean :fuckoff:. However I looked at the toylander website first and they do actually do a jeep now too. I still think you should do a toylander 2 instead though.

I actually have a original set of their jeep plans, I'm the third owner and the first to read them through. A coworker gave them to me free. I've turned the paper templates into a cad drawing I'll print on the big plotter at work, but the instructions aren't valid anymore, as Cortina leaf spring bushes aren't that common, and everything's in imperial.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I actually have a original set of their jeep plans, I'm the third owner and the first to read them through. A coworker gave them to me free. I've turned the paper templates into a cad drawing I'll print on the big plotter at work, but the instructions aren't valid anymore, as Cortina leaf spring bushes aren't that common, and everything's in imperial.

Landrover leaf spring bushes are common and cheap ;)

Like you said about being the 3rd owner of the plans - I've never seen anybody actually complete a toylander while their kids were still young!. I have a mate who started building an awesome 101GS DIY equivalent - but he never finished it either :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Landrover leaf spring bushes are common and cheap ;)
Yeah, Paddocks have them for like 77p.

While you're at it, buy a lot more stuff from Paddocks, make the design about 3 times larger in every dimension...

quote:

Like you said about being the 3rd owner of the plans - I've never seen anybody actually complete a toylander while their kids were still young!. I have a mate who started building an awesome 101GS DIY equivalent - but he never finished it either :(
My friend's kid is 8 months old, and I intend to start a mini-Landie for him next year, means I've got a fighting chance of having it ready when he's like 5 or 6 (Kevbarlas I am not). First I need to get my actual Landie back up and usable, and then spend several years imprinting him with Rumbly Old Mechanical Things Are loving Cool. Daddy will help. Mummy will probably not.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, I think the completion rate is worse than the average kit car, so nothing fancy, I just want to follow the instructions and get it completed in under a year.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, Paddocks have them for like 77p.

While you're at it, buy a lot more stuff from Paddocks, make the design about 3 times larger in every dimension...

No kidding a 0.5 scale landy could be made road legal easily.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Das Volk posted:

My ex was disliked by quite a few of my friends, and when I heard about it after we were separated I thought, jeez why didn't you say something? It certainly would have given me pause if not cause me to reevaluate what I was doing.

Been there. I mean a lot of people just drop the 'I never liked her anyway' to try and make you feel better about a breakup, but you can tell when they actually mean it and it's like, yeah would have appreciated a tip a little sooner.
Most of my friends tend to date really awesome people but it's come up before, and 'your SO is an airhead' is actually not a hard conversation to have.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Slow is Fast posted:

Get a cheapo mig, something above harbor freight teir. Get a good roll of hobart wire from tractor supply. Get some cheap pieces of scrap to practice on while you fiddle with the knobs. Just go for it.

I did a complex wheel arch replacement on my RS as my first welding job and it came out OK. Cherokee rockers are easy compared to it as they are mostly square with no complex curves. I've done two cherokee rockers in my thread. Sure they don't look like factory perfect lines, but they will hold up FINE.

Once you've got the thing all welded up, paint the outside with chassis saver and the inside spray with Eastwood's internal frame coating and it should last a long time.

Yeah, I'm not terribly worried about pretty. Gonna cover the bottom quarters with bed liner anyway since I spend so much time on gravel and salt that they're inevitably hosed.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Good call. I've got 220V available, but it's directly wired to the compressor. :) I'll keep an eye out.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 25, 2015

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Welp, someone is going to pay a reasonable price for the lgt. Time to go soul destroying...errrr, minivan shopping.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

ilkhan posted:

I just find it hard to believe they still haven't given the (non-ST) Focus a 6M yet. Jesus christ ITS 2015!
Well the Suburban is just a 4 speed and it still does lower RPMs at highway speeds. I think it's more a matter of what the gear ratios are than just how many there are of them. Plus I'd say we're lucky they even offer a stick, considering how hard this one was to find. There was one in Alabama and another in NC but they got sold, and mine came out of Panama City FL. I'm in Georgia.

Noise Complaint posted:

My 2014 5 speed Focus gets 38-40 with summer gas with the A/C on. Here's a trip from MA -> southern NJ I took last year, including NYC traffic, in August, the A/C was on the whole way. You just have to find the sweet spot.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, they're fun in the low gears. I hear the Cobb motor mounts help a lot with some of the issues, especially wheel-hop in 1st gear. Thankfully the 5 speed ones have a factory limited slip so you're not roasting one tire. The clutch engagement point takes a lot of getting used to. :)
How fast were you going? I haven't put a thousand miles yet on mine but so far I've found fuel economy to drop substantially at normal highway speeds, like 80 seems to be roughly 20% worse than 65. And as for clutch engagement, the only other manual I've driven that I can compare it to was a 4.0 Wrangler so this seems stupid easy to drive.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MrChips posted:

Because in spite of what Silicon Valley tries to ram down our throats on a daily basis, computers are not ready to fly a commercial aircraft autonomously. Even if they are ready one day, it's going to take a huge change in attitude from from the public before it becomes acceptable.

Whoops, sorry, I am not saying that you guys could be replaced by computers. What I meant was "I dunno why anyone capable of flying a commercial airliner actually puts up with the poo poo pay and horrible hours/stress to do so". I would become a pilot for a corp jet or ultra rich eccentric with his own fleet in a second, but flying cattle cars around in the sky full of ornery passengers and getting poo poo on by the company for it while they dick you over pay wise? Fuuuuuck no. You have my undying respect for actually sticking to that because I don't think I would ever make it keep working.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

Whoops, sorry, I am not saying that you guys could be replaced by computers. What I meant was "I dunno why anyone capable of flying a commercial airliner actually puts up with the poo poo pay and horrible hours/stress to do so". I would become a pilot for a corp jet or ultra rich eccentric with his own fleet in a second, but flying cattle cars around in the sky full of ornery passengers and getting poo poo on by the company for it while they dick you over pay wise? Fuuuuuck no. You have my undying respect for actually sticking to that because I don't think I would ever make it keep working.

^^ This, a thousand times. The only possible reason I can see to do it is simply the love of flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I really didn't like one of my best buddies girlfriends, and told him as much. Said he could do way better, etc. He ignored me of course and got married to her a couple of years later.

I'm super good friends with her now and realize she's one of the only ones who could put up with his dumb rear end. She's stable, cool, and a great mom to their kids.

I keep my mouth shut now and still feel bad about mouthing off.

I do wish my friends had voiced their opinions about my rotten ex a lot sooner, but I would have ignored them anyway so meh.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 25, 2015

• Locked thread