Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shifty Pony posted:

I know the cement tiles are fairly innocuous for single exposures but those workers are likely regularly exposed. They are getting hosed and nobody cared.

If it makes you feel any better in several states "professional" asbestos removal is done by convict labor, and they aren't protected by OSHA regulations nor will they be entitled to any kind of workers' compensation if/when they contract mesothelioma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Geoj posted:

If it makes you feel any better in several states "professional" asbestos removal is done by convict labor, and they aren't protected by OSHA regulations nor will they be entitled to any kind of workers' compensation if/when they contract mesothelioma.

Holy poo poo, I knew this country hated convicts, but :wtf::wtf::wtf:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CommieGIR posted:

MOST smoke detectors are STILL radioactive, unless you have one using a photodiode instead.

Along these lines, all of my smoke detectors are of the ionization type (so radioactive).

They're supposed to be replaced every 10 years, technically. They're 21 years old, so we're wanting to replace them.

How the hell do I dispose of 8 of the drat things legally? 7 of them still work properly (1 has a very weak sounder, and causes all of the others to flip their poo poo if you so much as sneeze in its direction or even touch it - changing the backup battery in that one is always fun), but we plan to sell the house next year, and that's one thing we'll get dinged on if a remotely competent inspector gets hired (plus it's just the right thing to do.. and would take about an hour and less than $100 anyway).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Search for "household hazardous waste" + name of your city.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Done that. The city won't take them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

some texas redneck posted:

Some manufacturers accept them via mail. The NRC used to require this, apparently it no longer does.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Geoj posted:

I didn't want to say it but I'm fairly sure that, this being Texas, the workers are being treated in a similar manner due to their racial backgrounds.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

I didn't want to say it but I'm fairly sure that, this being Texas, the workers are being treated in a similar manner due to their racial backgrounds.

How do you know all those laborers are ex race car drivers. Its rude of you to assume.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SouthsideSaint posted:

How do you know all those laborers are ex race car drivers. Its rude of you to assume.

How rude of you to assume they’re race car drivers. They’re clearly air racers.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Would've joked that they could be race boat drivers too, but they never live old enough to retire

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Don't be ridiculous, it's clearly a case of Couch Racing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNA5cIjm0LY

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fire department?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Youre in Texas right? Put them in a box and bury them in the desert somewhere.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
There's also the classic "put them in your neighbors garbage can."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Yeah, any kind of fine dust of some sort that won't break down and get flushed out by the body is bad loving news. Silicate dust (very fine sand or glass dust)? Silicosis. Asbestos? Asbestosis. There's a growing body of research that says fiberglass and most other similar insoluble particulate matter with sharp edges is a cancer risk too.
Fierosis.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Its always a fierosis

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What about Fieriosis?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Id murder myself with extreme prejudice

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Id murder myself with extreme prejudice

Multiple gunshot suicide.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

Youre in Texas right? Put them in a box and bury them in the desert somewhere.

What desert? :confused:

Oh, you mean far west Texas. Yeah, that's like a 10 hour drive.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Along these lines, all of my smoke detectors are of the ionization type (so radioactive).

They're supposed to be replaced every 10 years, technically. They're 21 years old, so we're wanting to replace them.

How the hell do I dispose of 8 of the drat things legally? 7 of them still work properly (1 has a very weak sounder, and causes all of the others to flip their poo poo if you so much as sneeze in its direction or even touch it - changing the backup battery in that one is always fun), but we plan to sell the house next year, and that's one thing we'll get dinged on if a remotely competent inspector gets hired (plus it's just the right thing to do.. and would take about an hour and less than $100 anyway).

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22334/html/cover_025.htm

lol option: don't bother with looking up the brand, just mail them off to one of the manufacturers and don't use a return address.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

What desert? :confused:

Oh, you mean far west Texas. Yeah, that's like a 10 hour drive.

No but we all wear cowboy hats and hate gay horses to school or something.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

lol option: don't bother with looking up the brand, just mail them off to one of the manufacturers and don't use a return address.

I actually would have done this. You'd need an electron tunnelling microscope to see the shits I give.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Throw them in the garbage, the amounts are so vanishingly small that nothing bad could actually happen. This isn't just an opinion of an idiot on the internet, either.

Once you get over ten in one go, you need to treat them as radioactive waste. So just bin'em. I mean, I guess that might not be legal, but it's not unsafe.

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 27, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22334/html/cover_025.htm

Lol if you think anyone will ship a box with no return address.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Midjack posted:

Exactly, that's why you use a neighbors address instead

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've always used the address of a model home in a new development if I have to mail, uh, stuff.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Memento posted:

Throw them in the garbage, the amounts are so vanishingly small that nothing bad could actually happen. This isn't just an opinion of an idiot on the internet, either.

Once you get over ten in one go, you need to treat them as radioactive waste. So just bin'em. I mean, I guess that might not be legal, but it's not unsafe.

Don't put them in a bag with anything identifiable; waste disposal centers all have radiation alarms. Don't know how sensitive they are but cat turds from a cat that's had their thyroid irradiated will set it off.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

CharlesM posted:

Don't put them in a bag with anything identifiable; waste disposal centers all have radiation alarms. Don't know how sensitive they are but cat turds from a cat that's had their thyroid irradiated will set it off.

Speaking from experience, or?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Computer viking posted:

C'mon dude that's like Cat Turd 101 level-poo poo

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CharlesM posted:

Search for "household hazardous waste" + name of your city.

I tried that when I dug up the radium containing spigot from my backyard. Nobody would take it, though, so I just put it on the windowsill in my garage as a decoration.

From one of these:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Computer viking posted:

You have to keep the turds for 90 days IIRC and after that point everything should have decayed enough.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Midjack posted:

What is the USPS gonna do if you toss the box in a mail collection bin? Nothing.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

What is the USPS gonna do if you toss the box in a mail collection bin? Nothing.

If it's local put the address you want it to go to as the return address with a fake address to mail it to. Problem solved. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ya'll motherfuckers gonna get put on a list.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Just put the return address to the post office, and it will go in an undeliverable loop forever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

X-ray it at least and almost certainly open it. It's really an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I really doubt the UPSP goes through that amount of trouble, either way you have won the game of hot potato. who cares if they xray the package, at this point it is not your problem.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Dellikose posted:

Just put the return address to the post office, and it will go in an undeliverable loop forever.

John was the lowest seniority at the local office so he had been assigned to run the loop. It had been 240 days now with no end in sight. Wearily he inspected his load, signed off, sighed, and started his truck.

Driving the circular road surrounding the depot he sighed once more before parking in the receiving dock. As workmen unloaded the packages he checked his watch and steeled himself for the next run.

As the same packages were loaded into his truck mere hours later he found his mind wandering to visions of moebius and the endless reaches of space. Perhaps this time. Perhaps there would be a fire, consuming the packages and his accursed truck.

He was shaken back to reality by the sight of Mary with her clipboard at his window. Sweating, he hastily shook out a signature on the clipboard and started off.

As he approached the first intersection it was as if all reality suddenly paused. He witnessed the street tearing asunder, asphalt groaning and pipes bursting as the road heaved ahead of him, curving upon itself to form a strip with no end.

A flood of emotion struck him and soon he was in tears, unable to understand what was unfolding in front of him. He threw his hands from the steering wheel and bumped the indicator stock. A loud ticking penetrated his consciousness, guiding him persistently. He narrowed his eyes and focused on the dash.

He turned left, and was set free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Midjack posted:

X-ray it at least and almost certainly open it. It's really an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

And then...

How is that a really rear end in a top hat thing to do? Sure it's not the nicest thing, but "really rear end in a top hat" is far from what I'd call it.