Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Just a quick summary so some of you can save the time opening the App Store and spending precious megabytes, from what I can see the widget is rather large and not customizable, so if those are your needs (they are mine), pass on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Is there an app like Due but with an integrated notepad?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

wattershed posted:

The wunderground app got updated and is finally 6+ optimized. I'm sure a lot of folks moved on to other apps but If you've stuck with it now's a good time to open it for (probably) the first time in months. Widget isn't sluggish garbage anymore either.

Does it track television shows yet????

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey what do all you Patrick Bateman wannabes use to keep track of people's raised lettering, pale nimbus, white, business cards?

I've been getting a lot of them at my new job and somehow I think I can do better than just taking a photo of them and throwing them in my drawer.

Well, I can do better than the photo part. They're still going to end up in my drawer.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Martytoof posted:

Hey what do all you Patrick Bateman wannabes use to keep track of people's raised lettering, pale nimbus, white, business cards?

I've been getting a lot of them at my new job and somehow I think I can do better than just taking a photo of them and throwing them in my drawer.

Well, I can do better than the photo part. They're still going to end up in my drawer.

Depends, do you have any existing scanning and/or OCR options available to you? Such as doxie, evernote, etc...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Evernote Scannable is pretty cool, and doesn't necessarily require Evernote as a service. You can send images out of it to anything that supports the iOS 8 share system. It's really cool at distilling the data in business cards in one quick step and can add the info to your contacts on your phone if you want.

If you do use Evernote it'll save a copy of the card image and also extract other data that Contacts can't save (linkedin urls, twitter handles, etc), save that in a searchable notebook, and keep that info out of your phone's contact list.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I'm a fan of Microsoft's new Lens App. Same poo poo as evernote's app but not evernote

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I'm trying to email a video I shot with my iPhone to a relative, but my phone is complaining that the video is too long and that I need to trim it. I know I can just use dropbox, which I plan to do, but I thought that one of the magic and revolutionary new features in iOS 8 was to be able to automatically send attachments of arbitrary size use iCloud Drive. Am I crazy or is something not working right?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm trying to email a video I shot with my iPhone to a relative, but my phone is complaining that the video is too long and that I need to trim it. I know I can just use dropbox, which I plan to do, but I thought that one of the magic and revolutionary new features in iOS 8 was to be able to automatically send attachments of arbitrary size use iCloud Drive. Am I crazy or is something not working right?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203093

Apparently it's an OS X feature only, although you can access it through icloud.com/mail as well which still isn't any use to you on iOS.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I don't have my Mac with me, but I went to icloud.com and tried using the mail button in iCloud photos and it complained that the video wasn't under 20MB so maybe it's not available in Canada or something. Dropbox to the rescue.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

xilni posted:

Depends, do you have any existing scanning and/or OCR options available to you? Such as doxie, evernote, etc...

Not really, I use OneNote extensively on the desktop, but not on mobile.

edit: I just picked up CamCard and it does everything I need :)

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Can anyone tell me how to change the wunderground widget to display Celsius instead of Fahrenheit? I've changed it in the app but the widget isn't updating.

Edit: several hours later it's updated itself. It might have been due to a phone restart

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 22, 2015

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So out of Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive, which has the most robust iOS app? Things like sharing integration, password protection, notifications/widgets, etc...? I'm using an android phone but my next will likely be an iPhone, and I'd like to cut out the step of downloading and checking out each one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They're actually all pretty good. Pretty sure they all support TouchID. Dropbox seems to have the most iOS integration.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They're actually all pretty good. Pretty sure they all support TouchID. Dropbox seems to have the most iOS integration.

I'm normally a huge fan of Dropbox, but I've had some massive issues with their last two releases with syncing across devices not working properly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RhoA posted:

I'm normally a huge fan of Dropbox, but I've had some massive issues with their last two releases with syncing across devices not working properly.

I'm using it across 4 devices with no issue (pc, mac, iPhone on latest iOS update, iPad on iOS 7)

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
They're actually all quite good, though I prefer Dropbox because of the more frequent (I guess this is the word I want here) integration with other applications. Everyone seems to support Dropbox, while you'll occasionally find Drive and OneDrive unsupported. I actually also really like Carousel for my photos. This is such a nerd thing, but with auto-upload and Hazel running on my Mac to organize them inside of folders according to date, I've built quite an archive, and I prefer Carousel quite a bit (their implementation of albums and sharing is really great) over browsing photos through the OneDrive app.

I will say, though, OneDrive is by far the best deal of the group, especially if you're a student. MSOffice+OneDrive for 4-years for $80 is pretty crazy.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm using it across 4 devices with no issue (pc, mac, iPhone on latest iOS update, iPad on iOS 7)

Hmm. I'm not sure what the problem is then. New files that I upload from my computer don't show up on either my iPad or iPhone unless I turn off the wifi and turn it back on. It's really rather annoying.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RhoA posted:

Hmm. I'm not sure what the problem is then. New files that I upload from my computer don't show up on either my iPad or iPhone unless I turn off the wifi and turn it back on. It's really rather annoying.

Mine was never that bad, but I used to see delayed sync all the time. I now use OneDrive for personal stuff (I got 1TB with my Office365 sub) and my corporate box.com account for work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

I use it constantly across eight devices (PC, MBA, iPad, iPhone, work PC, work laptop, wife's laptop) and it works perfectly. A highlight in a text in Goodreader syncs and it's on all the devices I care to check as soon as the new version of the text downloads. For things like YNAB, it's nearly instant.

ManSedan posted:

So out of Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive, which has the most robust iOS app? Things like sharing integration, password protection, notifications/widgets, etc...? I'm using an android phone but my next will likely be an iPhone, and I'd like to cut out the step of downloading and checking out each one.

They're all good in all those ways. I don't see any reason to limit yourself to one, we could give a better recommendation if you told us the sort of thing you plan to do that needs cloud storage on your phone.

Do you use MS Office constantly with OneDrive poo poo on your computer and need these things with you at all times? OneDrive is good for that. And a huge amount of cheap or free storage.

Google Drive is good but has weird app switching stuff (open a doc in Drive, get taken to the Docs app :argh:)

Dropbox is just a folder with limited collaboration options within iOS, but it has the most support for syncing among services.

Personally, I've edited docs on an iPhone 5S many times in Google Docs, and it wasn't painful except when dealing with tables. I almost never open Dropbox unless I'm sending someone a link to a large file, but every app that needs it syncs that way, which isn't very many on my phone these days. I've never used OneDrive for anything on my phone, and I haven't found any reason to use it much over Google Drive on my iPad except for integration with my Windows work machines and word documents with very specific formatting.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Saw the recommended podcast apps in the OP, can anyone vouch for any of them? I use "Network" at the moment and it's crap. I don't use mobile broadband so I want something where I can easily download podcasts to listen to outside of home.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

krampster2 posted:

Saw the recommended podcast apps in the OP, can anyone vouch for any of them? I use "Network" at the moment and it's crap. I don't use mobile broadband so I want something where I can easily download podcasts to listen to outside of home.

Downcast is the current hot poo poo goon favorite. It's quite good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Bummey posted:

That's a funny way to spell Overcast.

(Downcast is solid too, but there's no way Overcast isn't the "current hot poo poo goon favorite," emphasis on "current hot poo poo")

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bummey posted:

Yeah, either Downcast or Overcast. Overcast has the speed-boost with dead-air reduction, which is some wizard level poo poo. However, Downcast has way more features.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
iCatcher is great, but loses points for lack of weather tracking.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Thanks guys, I took and look at downcast and it seems pretty awesome, will get.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
gently caress Downcasts, Overcast is where it's at with Smart Speed and Boost. And then Pocket Casts just because that companies awesome and the apps really solid.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Right. Overcast. That's what I meant.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Downcast is the only one that lets you import your own files, so it's the best.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Pocketcasts

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Can we get back to important things? Like weather apps with the best micro-forecasts?

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah I ended up getting it for this reason. Using it now and it's great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been using Pocket Casts for months now and love it except for one thing: there's one podcast I listen to where I've listened to most of its episodes but not all of them, so I tried to mark the ones I'd already listened to and just download periodically from the unmarked ones since that would mean I hadn't listen to them. The only way to do this in the app is to favorite them (at least, I think), and sometimes it seems like the favorite stars just disappear on some episodes for seemingly no reason so I'll have to go back and favorite them again if I'm sure I've listened to them already. That's annoying as poo poo and seems like it should work better than that.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Overcast has a really bad problem of forgetting whenever I re-order my playlist of what's coming next and just spit it back into chronological order, but otherwise I like it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really like Pocket casts because it has a web client that allows me to seamlessly continue my podcasts when I'm on my Windows machine.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Andrast posted:

I really like Pocket casts because it has a web client that allows me to seamlessly continue my podcasts when I'm on my Windows machine.

So does Overcast.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Slowhanded posted:

So does Overcast.

Did it always have that? I probably just missed it when I was looking for a podcast app.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 25, 2015

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Andrast posted:

Did it always have that? I probably just missed it when I was looking for a podcast app.

Marco doesn't advertise it very much - at least, not in the app itself that I saw.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TheJoker138 posted:

I like the gestures support, don't know if the others support that kind of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Overcast has a really bad problem of forgetting whenever I re-order my playlist of what's coming next and just spit it back into chronological order, but otherwise I like it.

This annoys me to no end, but I like the app enough that I deal with it anyhow. I find that if you force close the app after re-ordering and re-open it, it will maintain the new playlist order.