Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Considering how many little boy penises were involved in that scandal, "inch by inch by inch" seems really gauche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:vince:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

quote:

That day the Freeh Report was released, Jay Paterno says, was in some ways an even harder one than the day six months before when Joe Paterno died. “They killed him again,” he says. That day in July, he wrote a short note to his mother, Sue, that reflects the depths of his despair:

“Even in the darkest moments when doubt tears at the threads of my sanity, I cling to the truth that at the bottom of Pandora’s box was that one word: HOPE.”

lol

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hope someone tows Jay Paterno's car, while he's still in it right over a cliff

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Yeah, I missed that one. He could be a poet, couldn't he ?

OBR
Apr 9, 2009

Chichevache posted:

gently caress. I done hosed up. I'm on the same side of an argument as Retail Slave.

Never go full Retail.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wish they would give a clear and constructed narrative of how Paterno managed to have zero understanding of what was happening instead of picking choice things from the Freeh report and going "nuh uh!"

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Well you see he was old and a fatherly figure so

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Well you see he was old and a fatherly figure so

In the end it didn't matter, he died knowing he was disgraced and his beloved football program was about to be eviscerated(that it ultimately wasn't is irrelevant).

gently caress Penn State forever.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

It astounds me that people still act like there is some ambiguity. Here's the guy's own loving words to the grand jury:

quote:

Q: Without getting into any graphic detail, what did Mr. McQueary tell you he had seen and where?

Mr. Paterno: Well, he had seen a person, an older — not an older, but a mature person who was fondling, whatever you might call it — I’m not sure what the term would be — a young boy.

Q: Did he identify who that older person was?

Mr. Paterno: Yes, a man by the name of Jerry Sandusky who had been one of our coaches, was not at the time.

Q: You’re saying that at the time this incident was reported to you, Sandusky was no longer a coach?
Mr. Paterno: No, he had retired voluntarily. I’m not sure exactly the year, but I think it was either ‘98 or ‘99.

Q: I think you used the term fondling. Is that the term that you used?

Mr. Paterno: Well, I don’t know what you would call it. Obviously, he was doing something with the youngster. It was a sexual nature. I’m not sure exactly what it was.

Paterno's response was to wait until the weekend was over and report it to the AD and then....nothing. No follow up. No, "Uh, why haven't I heard about Jerry getting arrested or something, what's happening with that?" That single bit of testimony is all that is needed to drat him.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Joe Paterno was bad.

The pretty ESPN lady should be fired because she seems like a reprehensible person and Iike when bad people suffer.

And Dan Sauhnggessey made Cleveland mad because sometimes Cleveland fans are dumb babies.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

MonsterWalk posted:

Joe Paterno was bad.

The pretty ESPN lady should be fired because she seems like a reprehensible person and Iike when bad people suffer.

And Dan Sauhnggessey made Cleveland mad because sometimes Cleveland fans are dumb babies.

To be fair, Shaughnassey is kind of a chode.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They should use Jay Paterno as a torch to burn down every Cleveland area towing company before its too late to do anything about all three

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skeesix posted:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skeesix posted:

In case y'all don't know how much of a chode he was... he's pretty much the guy who invented and cultivated the Curse of the Bambino poo poo.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

looks like a sunburned jeremy clarkson and piers morgan lovechild

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

*consults clipboard*

Hrm, yes, according to these findings, we have a textbook chode.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That guy is ugly and a piece of poo poo....

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Sash! posted:

*consults clipboard*

Hrm, yes, according to these findings, we have a textbook chode.

A Man and his dog posted:

That guy is ugly and a piece of poo poo....

lol

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I almost fell out of my chair after this page.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Can a Boston sports media homer be such a douche about Boston sports that even Boston sports homers pretty much all hate him?

Yes, it's that guy. He's like a failed Skip Bayless prototype with a chowder - based circulatory system.

midwat
May 6, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Can a Boston sports media homer be such a douche about Boston sports that even Boston sports homers pretty much all hate him?

Yes, it's that guy. He's like a failed Skip Bayless prototype with a chowder - based circulatory system.

I don't think Shaughnessy is a homer (if I recall, he's quite often a dick to local athletes/teams), I just think he's an rear end in a top hat.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

midwat posted:

I don't think Shaughnessy is a homer (if I recall, he's quite often a dick to local athletes/teams), I just think he's an rear end in a top hat.

You'd be an rear end in a top hat too if you won the genetic lottery equivalent to this:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/27/philip-rivers-trade-titans-chargers-nfl-draft/4/

quote:

So I ran the 6.2-mile Central Park loop Saturday morning (58:33—hey, anyone ever notice it’s different running on a windy 47-degree morning, with real hills, than it is on a flat treadmill in the basement of a health club?), and for nearly a mile I found myself trailing a woman having a great time running and chatting away on her cell phone. She had one of those earpieces, the kind with two earbuds and then the mike somehow affixed between her lower lip and chin. We were both running about the same pace, about 9.5-minute miles, up and down the slight grades of the beautiful park, and I was interested in her conversation with—I believe—a girlfriend on the other end of the conversation.

(When I run, I have nothing in my ears. I struggle, and think, and watch the surroundings, and then struggle some more. But I certainly do not converse more than is absolutely necessary. I can’t.)

I did find out, though, that this 30ish woman was going to a baby shower later that afternoon, hadn’t bought a gift yet but was thinking about a gift card from Bloomingdales, wondered how much would be appropriate, settled on $50, then asked if the person on the other end wanted to meet for a margarita beforehand, and then she drifted behind me on a bit of a decline.

It’s a free country and cool if you can use all this technology wherever, and I know I’m a 57-year-old dinosaur, and I get that just running and thinking and pondering life is probably passé, and I understand no one gets hurt when someone is on the phone while jogging in one of the great parks in the world.

But I do not want to be on the phone when I am running through Central Park. I’m just not going to understand that.

:raise:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I guess it's passe to want your journalists to write interesting poo poo that SOMEONE would want to read. But I guess I'm just old fashi YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWN.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I, too, wonder why a run through Central Park does not invoke an existential reflection of life for everyone else but hey, America!

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i saw a person who had friends, and i got owned while attempting to jog. this has been, my public diary entry

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Holy poo poo at least Omar is interesting

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

even the most beautiful park in the world becomes boring as hell if you run it every loving day

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Peter King has a hard time wondering how people can talk on the phone and run at the same time when even his thoughts are out of breath

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I dunno a dude near 60 years old running under a ten minute mile is pretty decent. There are much better things to give him poo poo for.

Like everything else about that paragraph

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm an upper middle class white male in my mid 20's and I"m in great shape. I can make fun of anyone for anything

midwat
May 6, 2007

Could not find a clearer example of celebrity being the enemy of good writing.

If Peter King weren't Peter King, Senior NFL Reporter, someone along the way would have asked "Who the gently caress is interested in this bulllshit?"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Jason Whitlock is a crazy man.

http://deadspin.com/how-jason-whitlock-is-poisoning-espns-black-grantland-1698683962

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Does Sportswriting turn people into this or is it just sportswriting attracts them?

EDIT: LeBron is the new Ali lol

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 27, 2015

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

drat you know your pet project is doomed when your underlings are ratting you out before it even gets going. Hopefully someone at ESPN has the sense to smother it in its crib.

Actually I don't hope that, we'd be deprived of so much material for this thread.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

ought ten posted:

drat you know your pet project is doomed when your underlings are ratting you out before it even gets going. Hopefully someone at ESPN has the sense to smother it in its crib.

Actually I don't hope that, we'd be deprived of so much material for this thread.

It seems like the actual staff is very talented and would probably write a ton of great stuff, which would never see the light of day because Whitlock is apparently a megalomaniac.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
You have two hands and one brain, so you should spend twice as much time jacking it as thinking.
Whitlock

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
White people hate me.
Block people, too.
- Jason Whitlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
"I fooled you. I fooled you. I got pig iron. I got pig iron. I got all pig iron." - Jason Whitlock

• Locked thread