Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Fooma posted:

Look on the bright side, for our book nerds this will likely lead to a swell of new books about this event like the K2 disaster. Maybe even a few specials on netflix next year!

Got to admit.....that did cross my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Well this season has gotten off to a hell of a start.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Chocobo posted:

Well this season has gotten off to a hell of a start end.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Chocobo posted:

Well this season has gotten off to a hell of a start.

I think what you are saying is this season ended incredibly early this year.

I wonder how many of the Sherpas families are going to be hurt from this earthquake... Can't be too many Sherpas that are going to do anything other than rebuild their lives for the next few months right?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I hope the people who are at the upper camps and survived write some cool books about getting hosed over by the mountain and still getting back down and surviving.

I'd settle for no more people dying though :ohdear:

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

ranbo das posted:

I'd settle for no more people dying though :ohdear:

You got 8 in the pool?

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Two years in a row, the season is halted by a major deathwave before we even get close to summit-time. The mountain is clearly sick of our poo poo.

Now I feel like a dick for participating in the death pool.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

CNN-IBN posted:

18 mountaineers on Mount Everest expedition killed. Indian Army recovers 13 bodies.

Most of the death pool participants were too conservative.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

quote:

Atleast 18 people are feared dead at Mount Everest base camp-1 & 2 in the avalanche after earthquake. Several bodies are feared trapped.

Indian Army Mount Everest expedition has been rushed to the spot for rescue work. Till now 18 bodies have been recovered and the rescue operation in on at both the base camps.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/earthquake-in-delhi-ncr/1/432107.html

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

I read that image as Sherpa's rushing to see if their families are ok, I'd be the same, gently caress your dollars

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ars Arcanum posted:

Now I feel like a dick for participating in the death pool.

It's okay, just make a few macabre jokes and you'll feel better. We're all dicks here.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Pvt Dancer posted:

You got 8 in the pool?

17, but it would be a miracle if the death toll remains at 8 anyways.

edit: yup, already at 18 and that's just base camp. This is gonna be bloody

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

ranbo das posted:

17, but it would be a miracle if the death toll remains at 8 anyways.

edit: yup, already at 18 and that's just base camp. This is gonna be bloody

Looks like you missed it too buddy, maybe we can start adding them together for half-prizes :v:

Personally I'm still holding out hope for Butt Wizard's prediction.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

This is great, not only are a bunch of rich people stuck on a mountain, the people that show them how to survive on the mountain are running of it without them. LOL, gotta be loving hell for the survivors as they try to figure out how to actually climb down a mountain.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Terrible :(

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fuctifino posted:

They'd better open up soon

I guess that pic of mine did the trick.

Last laugh is on me, as I chose 17 for the deathpool. This is going to be much higher.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
BBC/Reuters now reporting "10 dead, 80+ missing": http://bbc.in/1z0aKD9

Who had 90 in the pool?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Makes sense that the Sherpas GTFO tho. Not only is the mountain not happy, but they don't know if their homes and families are okay.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

quote:

Josef K. Sourdust

Happy Hedonist:

Butt Wizard

Happy Hedonist looking good

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
Well done Mt. Everest, well done.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pvt Dancer posted:

Happy Hedonist looking good

So, is Happy Hedonist a geomancer, or the avatar of the earth itself?

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

It's okay, just make a few macabre jokes and you'll feel better. We're all dicks here.

Um, on the upside I picked 18 so I'm currently winning?

The pictures of the sherpas being all "gently caress this!" are crazy. On the one hand, I want to be like "hey, that's not nice, you jerks, stay and help!" But on the other hand, when the mountain clearly tells you to GTFO, how can you fault those who listen to it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I hope Pray Heisok survived.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 25, 2015

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Just popped on my Facebook. Sorry, Andy is toast.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ars Arcanum posted:

The pictures of the sherpas being all "gently caress this!" are crazy. On the one hand, I want to be like "hey, that's not nice, you jerks, stay and help!" But on the other hand, when the mountain clearly tells you to GTFO, how can you fault those who listen to it.

Plus it was a big earthquake, not just an everest event. So their wives, children, cousins and so on are all potentially in danger back at home. In that situation I'm not sure playing tour guide for a bunch of strangers would be more important to me than checking that my family was okay.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
80+ missing, isn't this going to be the biggest disaster in mountaineering history? (again)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

No. 6 posted:

Just popped on my Facebook. Sorry, Andy is toast.

yikes mary sue land is her actual name. i thought she was blogging about this from like, i dunno, her comic book fansite or something till i googled it

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
Hopefully one of these climbers survives and writes a book about how great they are and how many people they would have saved if only everyone had just listened to them.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

Plus it was a big earthquake, not just an everest event. So their wives, children, cousins and so on are all potentially in danger back at home. In that situation I'm not sure playing tour guide for a bunch of strangers would be more important to me than checking that my family was okay.

Yeah, it also seems like they'll have a better chance of helping at the nearby cities than they will on the mountain, especially if it's true that the icefall route is completely obliterated. What are you even really supposed to do?

Chocobo posted:

80+ missing, isn't this going to be the biggest disaster in mountaineering history? (again)

Jon Krakauer is on the phone negotiating a whole book series right now.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Alex Gavan posted:

Huge disaster.Helped searched and rescued victims through huge debris area.Many dead.Much more badly injured.More to die if not heli asap.

:rip:

edit: Also these reporters bugging people on twitter:

Ben Brumfield CNN posted:

@AlexGAVAN Are you ok? Is it safe to take photos of the aftermath?

I think he's probably got more things to be worried about than taking photos at the moment.

Ebola Dog fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 25, 2015

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So do you guys feel disgusted that you're running a death pool at times like these? I certainly do.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Okay I need to know - did the Bitcoin guy make it? I bet the mountain just was pissed off there was Bitcoin at Basecamp.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

So do you guys feel disgusted that you're running a death pool at times like these? I certainly do.

Well, I don't think this thread encouraged anyone to risk their lives. :angel:

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 25, 2015

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Once I jumped in the water, and I was disgusted to find that I got wet.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

So if he makes it he can sing the praises of God and if he dies it'll either be a senseless tragedy that couldn't be avoided, or his time to go.

Circular Logic I choose you!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I thought it was a pretty nasty thing to begin with. You guys suck.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
it is right and good to loathe tourists you chodes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
holy poo poo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Hahaha, I think the death pool is great.

People dying is tragic made even worse by the fact that it's completely unnecessary. But there is nothing wrong with pointing at a person's awful life choices and mocking them for the ridiculous nature of their actions.

The earthquake is a tragedy to all impacted. The Everest deaths are the result of rich people trying to prove something while risking their lives and the lives of others. gently caress that.

• Locked thread