Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

But people died. That's not very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

No. 6 posted:

Hahaha, I think the death pool is great.

People dying is tragic made even worse by the fact that it's completely unnecessary. But there is nothing wrong with pointing at a person's awful life choices and mocking them for the ridiculous nature of their actions.

The earthquake is a tragedy to all impacted. The Everest deaths are the result of rich people trying to prove something while risking their lives and the lives of others. gently caress that.

There is nothing cool about wishing for people to die.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The best part of the death pool is where a lot of people were forced into outlandish numbers early on by the "more realistic" guesses, and we kind of made jokes about how even the deadliest day wasn't 16 so it won't be that I mean come on really guys? And then welp looks like the people who chose hilariously bad guesses are the ones in contention. Statistics! :argh:

In seriousness this is a pretty terrible tragedy, but that said most of us are not in a position to do anything about it at the moment so what else is there but to laugh? I have some friends who are Sherpas and Nepalis and I will be checking with them, but it doesn't seem appropriate to bother them with Facebook messages and so on until after the body counts are locked in IMO. Until then they will be doing their part to help, because they are a remarkably resilient people with a great sense of caring for one another.

Edit: also anyone who sincerely wished for people to die was pretty misguided that's true.

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Other than the icy tomb they are encased in of course

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

captainoblivious posted:

:thurman:

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

captainoblivious posted:

I was waiting for our bus driver to show up...

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Who the hell is wishing for it?

People climb and a certain number are almost guaranteed to die. Betting on how many is just mocking. If someone truly is rooting for more deaths (not joking at making a joke), they are a complete rear end in a top hat.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

First thing I did after waking up to the news was come here. Jesus Christ who could have predicted an earthquake?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wonder how many of the missing are Sherpas who ran when they heard their homes were affected... Hopefully that lowers the numbers of people actually missing.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Grim Up North posted:

Most of the death pool participants were too conservative.

Listen, if I knew about the earthquake, I would have bet higher.

Man, I would not want to be above the icefall right now. Maybe if they can get down to where camp 1 is/was, they can get helo'd out.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

No. 6 posted:

So if he makes it he can sing the praises of God and if he dies it'll either be a senseless tragedy that couldn't be avoided, or his time to go.

Circular Logic I choose you!

loving religious people, I swear to god.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

No. 6 posted:

Hahaha, I think the death pool is great.

People dying is tragic made even worse by the fact that it's completely unnecessary. But there is nothing wrong with pointing at a person's awful life choices and mocking them for the ridiculous nature of their actions.

The earthquake is a tragedy to all impacted. The Everest deaths are the result of rich people trying to prove something while risking their lives and the lives of others. gently caress that.

You enjoy that these people die and that's supremely hosed.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Normal people who hear someone died even it was their fault feel bad for them.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

loving religious people, I swear to god.

God will totally help me through this completely unnecessary and totally avoidable and also potentially lethal journey I started entirely of my own free will. :downs:

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

im just glad ueli steck has a broken ankle and is nowhere near avalanches or sherpas with ice axes

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

man people can find some intrinsic discomfort at the nature of human death but find humor in the circumstance that lessens the effect of tragedy it doesn't make them "not normal"

that's like, why the darwin award books were so loving popular

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ars Arcanum posted:

God will totally help me through this completely unnecessary and totally avoidable and also potentially lethal journey I started entirely of my own free will. :downs:

You're hoping that people die because they choose to travel. Nice.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

drilldo squirt posted:

You enjoy that these people die and that's supremely hosed.

Yes. My penis is growing hard at thoughts of their children and families crying over empty coffins.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Ars Arcanum posted:

Yeah. you're just justifying your atheism by masturbating over people who are dead.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

No. 6 posted:

Yes. My penis is growing hard at thoughts of their children and families crying over empty coffins.

You're not being ironic even though you think you are.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So do you guys feel disgusted that you're running a death pool at times like these? I certainly do.

As someone who appears to be in a potentially terminal health decline myself, I have no issues with laughing at the deaths of climbers stupid enough to climb Everest. The deaths in the towns and the cities though, that's another matter and not part of the death pool.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
It takes a lot of the sting out if you tell yourself that the climbers tickled and made the mountain giggle.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

You're hoping that people die because they choose to travel. Nice.

That's not what I'm doing at all and you know it, so take your dumb poo poo elsewhere.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

lol @ people willing to leave their families behind to climb that stupid mountain

someone's daughter asking their father "daddy, where's mommy?", very funny, the poor mountaineers

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

fuctifino posted:

As someone who appears to be in a potentially terminal health decline myself, I have no issues with laughing at the deaths of climbers stupid enough to climb Everest. The deaths in the towns and the cities though, that's another matter and not part of the death pool.

At least this guy has an excuse. What are you dying of buddy?

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah. you're just justifying your atheism by masturbating over people who are dead.

Whole lot spergy tears up in here all of a sudden.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Ars Arcanum posted:

That's not what I'm doing at all and you know it, so take your dumb poo poo elsewhere.

That's exactly what you're doing unless you getting you're rocks off when they do is a strange coincidence.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Ars Arcanum posted:

Whole lot spergy tears up in here all of a sudden.

I don't think you understand what spergy, tears, and all of a sudden mean.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Chicken Doodle posted:

I will take 19 too, or twenty if not that.
Hahaha I feel like an rear end in a top hat now :smith: Feel even worse for everyone in the city though. 900 dead? Jeez.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

drilldo squirt posted:

What are you dying of buddy?

Ennui.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

Tell me more about what I do and do not understand on these super serious intarwebs forums at the comedy website something awful dot com, drilldo squirt

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

drilldo squirt posted:

At least this guy has an excuse. What are you dying of buddy?

your posts. stop harshing my mellow, man.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I don't think you understand that if people you knew in real life were aware of how much you enjoy idiots dying they would stop socializing with you.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Alan arnette was up there...... His front page is down atm.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2015/04/22/everest-2015-first-steps-in-the-icefall/

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

drilldo squirt posted:

People who have emotions and feel sad when people die have apsergers

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ars Arcanum posted:

Tell me more about what I do and do not understand on these super serious intarwebs forums at the comedy website something awful dot com, drilldo squirt

Well, for one, you don't seem to realize how much of an rear end in a top hat you're being. Or maybe you do. Who knows.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

People in this thread are really bad at dealing with trolls

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Feminition posted:

man people can find some intrinsic discomfort at the nature of human death but find humor in the circumstance that lessens the effect of tragedy it doesn't make them "not normal"

that's like, why the darwin award books were so loving popular

Shh, stop trying to be rational. We're all prime evil sociopaths here and literally want everyone on the mountain dead for our viewing and sexual pleasure.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't think you understand that if people you knew in real life were aware of how much you enjoy idiots dying they would stop socializing with you.
Whoa there this is extremely triggering as an incel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Chicken Doodle posted:

Hahaha I feel like an rear end in a top hat now :smith: Feel even worse for everyone in the city though. 900 dead? Jeez.

god drat I knew it was bad when I saw ancient structures fallen down, but I didn't see it was 900 bad :( that's loving awful

• Locked thread