Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

He appears to be safe himself though. He posted an audio update earlier; it's the next entry on the blog. On my iPad or I'd link it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

ranbo das posted:

People in this thread are really bad at dealing with trolls

I don't think it's trolling to tell people they are weird for enjoying mountain climber deaths.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It is Man vs Mountain and, in this thread and the threads before it, we root for the mountain. Oh no rich white tourists with no respect for the mountain died! Blood for the blood god.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

EX250 Type R posted:

It is Man vs Mountain and, in this thread and the threads before it, we root for the mountain. Oh no rich white tourists with no respect for the mountain died! Blood for the blood god.

I think it's sad when someone dies, even if they are a rich white tourist.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I think it is sad when people die too. The rich aren't people.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Hmm, why do you think that?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
So, Indian Army confirms 18 dead at basecamp, another suggests at least 10 dead, and 40 seriously wounded - with estimates now close to 1000 dead in the affected regions.

"Eric Arnold describers the earthquake scene at Everest BC posted:

"Lying in my tent seems like someone is shaking my tent, a joke Ritchie I think. Not much later, the shaking of the tent over in the shaking of the ground. Harder and harder. I realize earthquake !! When I opened my tent zipper I see three sides gigantic avalanches come down. Behind me from the Lingtren from the icefall and Pumori. The avalanche from the Icefall-Nuptse is gigantic. Not much later I realize that the cloud base camp is going to hit. Arnold beckons me, come to the mess tent. I run the 20 feet to the tent, mid avalanche cloud touches me. I am totally lost direction and walk against Moulay his tent. Then I storm into the tent. My ears are filled to the brim with snow. In five seconds, I look like the abominable snowman. It is now an hour after the avalanche. Details about the victims, I do not know. Our plan to walk to Pumori BC was not happy today. From which side was a huge avalanche."

There are some conflicting reports of C1 and C2, with people fleeing from avalanches that skirted the camps. Southside seems to have been the most seriously threatened and I can't find any reports of which teams were on those routes or their situation.

Amazingly, All climbing teams on Annapurna reported safe, which seems pretty amazing given it was closer to the epicenter, and loves to crush puny humans with rocks and snow.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 25, 2015

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
I can imagine some of the massive buildup of faeces/corpses/rubbish getting dislodged by this quake, so I guess "poo poo Mountain" was trying to clean itself?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

EX250 Type R posted:

I think it is sad when people die too. The rich aren't people.

And if there are sherpa deaths?

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
look we've been waiting a whole year for these deaths and now the mountain's going to be closed so it's going to take at least another year before we see some new deaths

let us celebrate

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

drilldo squirt posted:

I think it's sad when someone dies, even if they are a rich white tourist.

It's really tasteless to come in here and try to make this tragedy all about you.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Well whoever has 8and up somewhere between 10 18 and 35 in the pool, you're looking pretty good.

Edit

Well there goes the Everest season, my second favorite spectator sport. 2 seasons in a row of early deaths killing (pun) the fun of a slow build.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 25, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Beastie posted:

First thing I did after waking up to the news was come here. Jesus Christ who could have predicted an earthquake?

Apparently, p much everyone

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Frankenstyle posted:

It's really tasteless to come in here and try to make this tragedy all about you.

What gave you that idea? It's wrong btw.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

from death there is life. birth alludes to a funeral.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't think it's trolling to tell people they are weird for enjoying mountain climber deaths.

How do you feel about the Star Wars 9/11 photoshop phriday? You're either a lovely troll or you're on the wrong forums mate.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

drat allah, i was getting drunk and mad about ayrton senna last night but knowing you have been busy shakin' the infidels off your majesty, well what can I say, god is great

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

LvK posted:

god drat I knew it was bad when I saw ancient structures fallen down, but I didn't see it was 900 bad :( that's loving awful

It's going to end up being much higher than that, unfortunately. In 1934 it killed more than 10,000 people.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Last Chance posted:

And if there are sherpa deaths?

Are they rich sherpas?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Paramemetic posted:

It's going to end up being much higher than that, unfortunately. In 1934 it killed more than 10,000 people.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :(

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Paramemetic posted:

It's so crazy to me, as someone who was born and raised in Southern California to hear about these earthquakes. 7.8 in LA would be a horrible disaster, but I doubt more than a 100 people would die. It just reminds me how loving lucky I was to be born in a rich country, and how incredibly hosed up the world is.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

How do you feel about the Star Wars 9/11 photoshop phriday? You're either a lovely troll or you're on the wrong forums mate.

If you can't see the difference dude, I don't know what to tell you.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

drat. Hopefully the death toll doesn't reach 12k this time around.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm glad to see you decided you were wrong, ars.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

drilldo squirt posted:

I hope you decide to realize how delusional you are.

About how your troll attempts are funny, that is

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EX250 Type R posted:

Are they rich sherpas?

By local standards? Yes. The everest climbing sherpas will be among the wealthiest people in their towns. They won't be taking vacations in the French Riviera, but they'll certainly be rich enough to lord it over their neighbours.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah. you're just justifying your atheism by masturbating over people who are dead.

Your either a self important judgmental narcissist, a troll, or just posting on the wrong forums. Certainly you're in the wrong thread.

drilldo squirt posted:

While I am being very judgmental right now I don't think that makes me a narcissist or a troll. Actually I think it's kind of justified, all considered.

Yeah, everyone knows death is tragic; however, if you cannot get that one of the ways human beings deal with the human condition and the absurdity of our confrontation of death is humor, there is something wrong with you. Humor, and picking apart the decisions people make that lead to their death are ways we deal with collective trauma. This is why books about climbing disasters are so popular, or television shows about disasters, or the loving Titanic.

So get over it, or go back to your church, mosque, temple, or whatever and lock yourself in complaining to your fellows how everyone else "just doesn't get the god(s) approved ways in which we are allowed to talk about death."

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 25, 2015

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

drilldo squirt posted:

you're splitting hairs, circ dick. what happened to your username?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Ars Arcanum posted:

I hope you decide to realize how delusional you are.

I don't see it dude, maybe you should explain.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Everest your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

drilldo squirt posted:

One was not predictable, thus suitable for mockery and the other entirely predictable, with victims who understand and willingly accept the danger and therefore not? I mean, I can see you're kind of a loving idiot but your reasoning here seems a lot less transparent than you think.

It's a matter of statistics, and the pretty natural human fascination for risk taking, mortality and the inevitable train-wrecks on one side, and amazing human accomplishment on the other.

It also doesn't stop it from being sad and unfortunate, much like your shitposting.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

ZombieLenin posted:

Your either a self important judgmental narcissist, a troll, or just posting on the wrong forums. Certainly you're in the wrong thread.

While I am being very judgmental right now I don't think that makes me a narcissist or a troll. Actually I think it's kind of justified, all considered.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

drilldo squirt posted:

Please show some decorum, people have died. Can we save the dick waving for a "Who can eat the hottest chilli pepper" thread?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lots of people who paid the privilege of a supremely avoidable death away from their families because ego.

I hope more people don't die retrieving the icicles for the grieving families

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Do you guys really not understand why people do risky things?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think its possible that some people wanted to climb the mountain because it seemed like a genuinely rewarding experience.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

drilldo squirt posted:

Do you guys really not understand why people do risky things?

Jesus. It's like you're wearing assless chaps to a child's funeral because you're afraid you won't get noticed. Have some compassion for the victims.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

This thread was like 36 pages of funny and then the funniest thing happens and self righteous turds gotta gently caress it up

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah, everyone knows death is tragic; however, if you cannot get that one of the ways human beings deal with the human condition and the absurdity of our confrontation of death is humor, there is something wrong with you. Humor, and picking apart the decisions people make that lead to their death are ways we deal with collective trauma. This is why books about climbing disasters are so popular, or television shows about disasters, or the loving Titanic.

So get over it, or go back to your church, mosque, temple, or whatever and lock yourself in complaining to your fellows how everyone else "just doesn't get the god(s) approved ways in which we are allowed to talk about death."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Too bad a bunch of nerds on a comedy forum decided to mess with fate and bet on the death toll

• Locked thread