Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Raxivace posted:

Huh. That sounds like the kind of thing you can really once be invested in if you were around when it started.

That's exactly it. It even had a direct audience participation angle at the beginning (and his earlier finished comic Problem Sluth is written entirely around that mechanic), though obviously that was dropped pretty early on as it got more popular. You always end up attracting those assholes that spam their unfunny suggestions like 10000 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raxivace posted:

DBM Chat: This incarnation of Buu is certainly something. I'm really curious to see what his life was like 20ish years down the line or whatever, before the main tournament but after nobody could possibly be a threat to him.

Probably a lot like what we're seeing. Absorbing Gohan and Goku and the rest has mellowed him out enough that he's not compulsively driven to destroy poo poo or hurt people, but he's still driven solely by self-interest - he'll revive the people of Earth because his Goku-bits ache at the thought of them all being destroyed, and he'll let them live because pfft if any of them actually pose any kind of threat to him, but if he sees something he wants -gulp! Absorbed!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What? Bleach has been mindnumbingly slow for the last year or so, not that Dressrosa has been well paced but my God, I would kill for Bleach to move a little faster. It's just been painful how poor the pacing has been.

The overall pacing of the plot as been slow, but crazy and goofy things have been happening pretty much constantly so it's easy to overlook. To be honest, I think it really helps Bleach that I never held it to as high of a standard as One Piece. Personally I don't think One Piece has been well paced since the New World, at very least, but this probably isn't the place to get into it.

In other news, have we gotten a dub release date for the new DBZ movie yet?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Gammatron 64 posted:

If One Piece and Naruto are Ryu and Ken, then Bleach is Dan Hibiki.

People actually like Dan, Bleach is probably more like Sean.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I prefer Bleach to One Piece at this point. They're both kind of meh at this point, but Bleach at least has some great batshit moments (such as ghost-nazi superman wrestler) and the return of Aizen has been fantastic now that he's not the villain. Plus it only takes about a minute to read a Bleach chapter.

This is a bad opinion. Even at its lowest point One Piece is leagues and leagues and leagues better than Bleach.

Bleach is literal trash where chapters are composed of characters monologuing, having Ichigo reveal a shocked face after every single bloody reveal and hordes of mini boss 1v1 fights that do no absolutely nothing for the story and have no interesting aspects to them at all. It's always one side dominates for one chapter, the character reveals a power up in the next and the next one is them dominating with the powerup. It's always domination through power, never any real strategy or thought to any of it and it takes three unnecessary chapters to get that to that point just to get through the pointless mooks.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 25, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Not really. As I said, both are overall meh but recent Bleach has had a bunch of batshit crazy, insanely stupid, or both moments. Whereas aside from the three flashbacks (and Sabo) the Dressrosa stuff has been kinda bleh.

e: Plus the Kenpachi vs Kenpachi fights is literally one of the coolest things I've seen in a manga.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 25, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raxivace posted:

DBM Chat: This incarnation of Buu is certainly something. I'm really curious to see what his life was like 20ish years down the line or whatever, before the main tournament but after nobody could possibly be a threat to him.

i was around when it started, it was pretty great for a decent while but then just abruptly rocketed straight up its own rear end so far it came out its mouth, looped back around, and went back up its own rear end again.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I gave up on Naruto in the last like 20 chapters because I was so bored and sick of everything. I would have quit Bleach in the same way a long time ago, but the chapters are so sparse and reading them takes like 3 minutes or less every week because there's so little talking because everyone just ellipses while looking cool so I keep going.

The Kenpachi stuff was cool. The Isshin/Masaki flashback was fantastic. But everything else in the arc has been boring as poo poo. gently caress Bleach.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kenpachi vs Imagination Man was really bad though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kenpachi vs Imagination Man was really bad though.

It really wasn't. Kenpachi was so strong Imagination Man killed himself because he couldn't even imagine killing Kenpachi. That loving owns.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It really wasn't. Kenpachi was so strong Imagination Man killed himself because he couldn't even imagine killing Kenpachi. That loving owns.

Imaignation man was really boring and the story of "oh man Kenpachi is too hardcore I literally can't imagine myself getting the better of him" doesn't work because he imagine's two people to death instantly a little earlier, so why didn't he do the same before Kenpachi showed himself to be the loving best? He just does stupid bullshit with literal powers of the imagination, and it's bad because before the fight with Kenpachi Imagine Man was actually creative like your "bones are cookies, good luck doing anything" and then he becomes utterly uncreative for his big fight which is really lame for a dude who can do anything as long as he imagines it.

Basically Kubo is not creative enough to do anything with Imagination Man, so it becomes super bad.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Imaignation man was really boring and the story of "oh man Kenpachi is too hardcore I literally can't imagine myself getting the better of him" doesn't work because he imagine's two people to death instantly a little earlier, so why didn't he do the same before Kenpachi showed himself to be the loving best? He just does stupid bullshit with literal powers of the imagination, and it's bad because before the fight with Kenpachi Imagine Man was actually creative like your "bones are cookies, good luck doing anything" and then he becomes utterly uncreative for his big fight which is really lame for a dude who can do anything as long as he imagines it.

Basically Kubo is not creative enough to do anything with Imagination Man, so it becomes super bad.

Look of course you think Bleach sucks if you can't embrace the spirit of its stupidity.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Bleach itself isn't embracing its own craziness, that's the problem. We have a crazy weird power and then nothing is done with it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pureauthor posted:

Bleach itself isn't embracing its own craziness, that's the problem. We have a crazy weird power and then nothing is done with it.

Kubo's doing a drat solid job with Aizen imo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kubo's doing a drat solid job with Aizen imo

He killed some bugs then got blindsided and knocked out by a jobber who does literally nothing else of note.

Admittedly he has a nice chair and was really smug about it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno folks, I kinda still like Bleach more than Naruto, even though I ended up dropping both series as they just got too strung along for my tastes. At the very least I feel Bleach had much better executed fillers.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

In other news, have we gotten a dub release date for the new DBZ movie yet?

No date, just summer for theaters. The new movie s.h. Figuarts are due out in November apparently too for ssgss goku and gold frieza.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He killed some bugs then got blindsided and knocked out by a jobber who does literally nothing else of note.

Admittedly he has a nice chair and was really smug about it.

He was also all "woah I can be hurt at like .01% power" which was pretty funny. I mean, of course a shithead jobber can hit him when he's literally tied by the soul to a chair.

I assume he is going to do something else. Never can tell with Kubo but he'd have to be a braindead gently caress up to not leverage this.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I like goku. Goku is the best

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Talking about bleach and naruto instead of goku. . . wtf

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Ninja Goku, Pirate Goku and... uh, Ghost Goku?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pureauthor posted:

Ichigo isn't even a goku, he's just

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
What ever happened to Ocean Studios? Do they still do anime dubs? For that matter what was it that caused them to give up DBZ right at the height of its popularity? I've never really looked into it since it happened when I was still a kid

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Captain Q posted:

What ever happened to Ocean Studios? Do they still do anime dubs? For that matter what was it that caused them to give up DBZ right at the height of its popularity? I've never really looked into it since it happened when I was still a kid

The DB Wiki has a pretty lengthy and detailed explanation of what the hell went on with the Ocean dubs.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Ocean_Group_dubs

Far as I know, Ocean Group still does dubs.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Pureauthor posted:

What kind of Goku is Toriko?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What kind of Goku is Toriko?

Hungry Goku

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

I think you'll find Goku is Hungry Goku :colbert:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Brony Hunter posted:

I think you'll find Goku is Hungry Goku :colbert:

Hungry Hungry Goku then.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Genocyber posted:

Hungry Hungry Goku then.

I'd buy that board game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Genocyber posted:

Hungry Hungry Goku then.
The most terrifying of children's board games.

EDIT: Of all the things to get beaten to post.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
One day all the Gokus of the East will come to the West to face all the Dougs.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, who's hungrier: Goku or Big Boss from MGS3?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, who's hungrier: Goku or Big Boss from MGS3?

That's up to you, the player.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Ah, but who would win in a eating contest between the two of them?

Trick question, they'd bond over interesting foodstuffs.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Thyrork posted:

Some part of the bonding must involve or even begin with Snake asking how dinosaur tastes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Thyrork posted:

The correct answer to any "Who wins, Goku or some other good guy" question is they become friends.

Big Boss hadn't become evil yet so it fits.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bad Seafood posted:

The correct answer to any "Who wins, Goku or some other good guy" question is they become friends.

Big Boss hadn't become evil yet so it fits.

Big Boss was never evil, he just upset the status quo.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The DB Wiki has a pretty lengthy and detailed explanation of what the hell went on with the Ocean dubs.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Ocean_Group_dubs

Far as I know, Ocean Group still does dubs.

Okay, so, someone from the UK who maybe remembers better than me: what the gently caress happened with the dubs here? Because I distinctly remember hearing both dubs between however many resets.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Big Boss was never evil, he just upset the status quo.
Big Boss is pretty sympathetic but kidnapping children to turn them into child soldiers probably crosses a moral boundary for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bad Seafood posted:

Big Boss is pretty sympathetic but kidnapping children to turn them into child soldiers probably crosses a moral boundary for most people.

Fair enough but what are Saiyans if not a race of child soldiers?

• Locked thread