Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

jodai posted:

How has the Relic Knights stuff been going? I chose the actual knight faction, Shattered Swords, so most of my guys are in armor and helmets but I've heard the detail on the faces is really shallow.

As far as chibi stuff, I played Arcadia Quest last week and I think those minis would be great fun to paint.

RK is hit or miss. The stuff that was already a sculpt before the game/KS is pretty terrible, out of scale, no detail, etc. Newer stuff is very nice though. Facial detail is very smooth and shallow but with the anime style that looks more intentional than the older stuff being a sculpting limitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

She's got Combat Highheels and Armortits but I can't even complain, that's a pretty badass model.

Your color choices are stunning, that blue-grey-turquoise, dang. The non-metallic metal all over, especially on the sword.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Post 9-11 User posted:

She's got Combat Highheels and Armortits but I can't even complain, that's a pretty badass model.

Your color choices are stunning, that blue-grey-turquoise, dang. The non-metallic metal all over, especially on the sword.

Thanks! This was my first real attempt at NMM (as opposed to oh gently caress there's only one buckle and I'm not getting out the metallics NMM) and I'm reasonably happy with it.

The color scheme is mostly the studio scheme but a little greener and lighter and translated to Minitaire.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Does anyone have pics of those kickin' rad bone and turquoise Dark Eldar that some goon painted a while back? They had pink accents and were gorgeous, particularly the Scourges.

I didn't save them to my inspiration folder and now I can't find them.

You want to find RichyP's posts in the old miniature thread. He painted them.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
About the skewer sticks for banner poles - I found a bag of 50 at Target for $1, so absolutely can't beat the price. They are a bit big for 28mm but nothing glaring. A great option for cheap-o's like myself.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

serious gaylord posted:

You want to find RichyP's posts in the old miniature thread. He painted them.

Holy poo poo it was 5 years ago. :psyduck:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So after multiple failures attempting to drill out 20mm size holes in various wooden boards to act as unit trays, I dusted off an old cork sheet and just started cutting out penny-sized holes with an exacto knife. Works surprisingly well but I worry about the long term durability of cork as units get placed in and out of the sockets over time. Any suggestions for what I might be able to do to "seal" the cork or reduce the wear on the sockets?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Holy poo poo it was 5 years ago. :psyduck:

He might have painted two more since then haha.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Wear a mask when you airbrush. A real one, with filters. If you wan't a cheap gravity dual action brush go get a Veda on eBay.

Do you need a 3M mask if you airbrush outside? I grabbed one of those flimsy paper ones and airbrush outside and haven't noticed anything.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

So after multiple failures attempting to drill out 20mm size holes in various wooden boards to act as unit trays, I dusted off an old cork sheet and just started cutting out penny-sized holes with an exacto knife. Works surprisingly well but I worry about the long term durability of cork as units get placed in and out of the sockets over time. Any suggestions for what I might be able to do to "seal" the cork or reduce the wear on the sockets?

I'd recommend maybe some thinned down matte medium. For banner poles and the like, I'd say definitely check out steel music wire. Much cheaper than brass rod, although you'd have to smooth out the edges.

EDIT: Anyone have recommendations on how to increase the displaced air volume of my spray booth?

Signal fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 22, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Increasing the suck? Bathroom fan. As long as you're not spraying flammable paints, you'll be good. If you do flammables though, you'll need a fan with an enclosed motor so you don't get a stray spark and blow up.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
So I'm really new to this and new to airbrushing. I've been painting some warmachine stuff and wanted to try airbrushing gradients rather than the usual base/wash/highlight.

I used it some on painting a menoth warjack...which is generally one prominate color (white) and not to bad, however, I'm struggling on finding a way to use an AB on the smaller figures that are largely two tone.

For example:

This choir member I painted exclusively by hand then washing and highlighting.

What would be the best way to AB these? Lay down the base whites and do my highlighting on white then hand paint the maroon? I'm not sure it's worth the time to try to mask off the white to spray maroon and highlight.

Suggestions? As I said I'm a complete newbie at this and it's one of my first figs so be kind.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 22, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I would probably only airbrush one color and do brushwork with the other. Check out BuyPainted's Youtube channel as it features lots of airbrushing multiple colors.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Increasing the suck? Bathroom fan. As long as you're not spraying flammable paints, you'll be good. If you do flammables though, you'll need a fan with an enclosed motor so you don't get a stray spark and blow up.

Petition to change the thread title to:

Miniatures Painting - Increase the suck

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I would probably only airbrush one color and do brushwork with the other. Check out BuyPainted's Youtube channel as it features lots of airbrushing multiple colors.

Will do. What do you think? Prioritize the white since it would be hard to paint over the burgundy without a shitton of layers? I've watched a lot of what ScnusserfaceMinis has done with his stuff but mainly airbrushes and masks. I feel like it might not be worth the effort to do all that masking and still end up with overspray on such a small fig. Also at my current ability airbrushing takes longer anyways.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Shachi posted:

So I'm really new to this and new to airbrushing. I've been painting some warmachine stuff and wanted to try airbrushing gradients rather than the usual base/wash/highlight.

I used it some on painting a menoth warjack...which is generally one prominate color (white) and not to bad, however, I'm struggling on finding a way to use an AB on the smaller figures that are largely two tone.

For example:

This choir member I painted exclusively by hand then washing and highlighting.

What would be the best way to AB these? Lay down the base whites and do my highlighting on white then hand paint the maroon? I'm not sure it's worth the time to try to mask off the white to spray maroon and highlight.

Suggestions? As I said I'm a complete newbie at this and it's one of my first figs so be kind.

zenithal it, then glaze as appropriate for instant shading. Then do some highlighting where needed, then throw any washes on it where you care about deep shadowy recesses.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Shachi posted:

Will do. What do you think? Prioritize the white since it would be hard to paint over the burgundy without a shitton of layers? I've watched a lot of what ScnusserfaceMinis has done with his stuff but mainly airbrushes and masks. I feel like it might not be worth the effort to do all that masking and still end up with overspray on such a small fig. Also at my current ability airbrushing takes longer anyways.

I would probably do the white on both the white and purple sections, and use the shading as a base for the purple.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

w00tmonger posted:

zenithal it, then glaze as appropriate for instant shading. Then do some highlighting where needed, then throw any washes on it where you care about deep shadowy recesses.

This right here. If you want to get fancy hit it with another highlight after the washes.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

What do I use to cut rods for pinning? Using the metal cutter I have (it cut through a warmachine metal nub like paper, which ruled) it takes tons of force to cut through and the rod I cut off tends to fly across the room when it snaps off.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Wire cutters should work. Strong rods will ruin your side cutters.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I just have my "lovely" pair of flush cutters that I use for clipping base tabs and metal stuff, so I don't care if they get banged up (I have a good set for plastics and stuff I care about the surface of). Hold onto both sides of the object you're cutting and you won't get dangerous projectiles. If you're pinning with steel, invest in a pair of decent metal shears, but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Working through the Masterbox marines slowly but surely. This guy looked a lot more fearsome on the box. Without the facial expression, he looks like he's at the pole vault instead of a war.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I'd actually recommend springing for a pair of mini bolt cutters. The extra leverage really saves your hand, and makes cutting through steel wire pretty easy.

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

Cross-posting my Beast 09 from the Warmahordes thread. Butcher 3 is next!

More pics: http://s250.photobucket.com/user/Crabstuffed/Khador/story

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It's cool how the color difference on the axe makes it look like it's glowing even in bad lighting. Shows that you did a good job keeping your palette reigned in.

I also get a kick out of the kind of early-90s comic book feel to how your did your details and lining. It seems on-purpose-sloppy. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles should fight it.

I guess they will, since it's warmahordes.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone know of a good guide for how to paint obsidian? I've got a few 15mm figures with chipped stone weapons and I want to paint them as if they were chipped black glass rather than rocks and am not quite sure the best way to go about it.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone know of a good guide for how to paint obsidian? I've got a few 15mm figures with chipped stone weapons and I want to paint them as if they were chipped black glass rather than rocks and am not quite sure the best way to go about it.

nvm I'm stupid as hell and shouldn't be offering advice.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 24, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ensign Expendable posted:

Working through the Masterbox marines slowly but surely. This guy looked a lot more fearsome on the box. Without the facial expression, he looks like he's at the pole vault instead of a war.

Why... would he grip the barrel of a presumably hot gun?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It looks like a German machine pistol, so he's probably in the middle of disarming some chump.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

nesbit37 posted:

Paint them light grey, go over them with a few washes of black ink and then lightly drybrush the edges with white.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

nesbit37 posted:

P3's Coal Black mixed in with Black as basecoat in about 1:4 ratio, wash with black, edge highlight with Coal Black, dot highlights with a white-ish grey. Gloss to cover. Jobs a good 'un.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Not PAINTING exactly but I got the new KRQ case from KR Multicase. It's rad as gently caress and holds about 50 28mm figures.

They're pretty cheap too!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

moths posted:

It looks like a German machine pistol, so he's probably in the middle of disarming some chump.

Yup, it's a hand to hand combat set.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Paint question

https://signalnoisenet-my.sharepoin...36a2888d275dd1e

I am making a 72 paint travel set of everything I might ever want for non-airbrushing purposes (meaning no multiple varnishes because I'll do that at home).

This is my set so far. I have 11 more slots that I can fill. What can I put on this list to make it better that fits in a bottle? Specific brand and paint name suggestions are welcome and I'll try anything, I'm just getting away from Minitaire at the moment.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 25, 2015

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
P3 Coal Black, Reaper Blue Liner and Brown Liner, Reaper Walnut Brown and Linen White would be on my list for sure. Probably VMC Black Grey and Black Red too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If I wanted to do the same gem effect as the windows here, what would you recommend as the progression of colors if I were to do it in yellow? I have the warmer yellows for NMM purposes: zamesi desert, balor brown (forgive me for buying GW paints, shop didn't have any vallejo), VGC parasite brown, and VGC beastly brown. Would this suffice or should I get different colors?

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Saw ModelMates (http://www.modelmates.co.uk/) at Salute today, and was wondering if anyone's had any experience using their weathering liquids?

Basically water-soluble inks in a thick-ish medium, which remain water soluble and don't cure, so you can wipe them off with a damp cloth; a bit like oil washes, but without the need for white spirit.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Not PAINTING exactly but I got the new KRQ case from KR Multicase. It's rad as gently caress and holds about 50 28mm figures.

They're pretty cheap too!

Got a link for it? I'm starting to build my mini collection and they're just sitting on a shelf.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hamlet442 posted:

Got a link for it? I'm starting to build my mini collection and they're just sitting on a shelf.

https://www.krmulticase.com

Very reasonable prices and a solid product with an extremely elegant tray system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
So, I built a new lightbox, way sturdier and roomier than the old one (yes I let my cat in):

And here are my first pictures to come from it, of my newly painted Malifaux Ortega crew:

First picture came from my proper camera, other two just from my phone. Pictures look okay, but I think they could get much better. Question is, how do I make my photos better?
Do I play with settings, add another layer of tracing paper for diffusion? Try angling the light different next time? Certainly I want to get rid of the light creeping in from the side of several shots.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 26, 2015