Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

rip our lost alaskan safarimen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fojar38 posted:

i unironically believe that forums poster drilldo squirt with their frog dong avatar are genuinely concerned about the welfare of their fellow man

Being sad about death is pretty obvious trolling imo

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

I'm Crap posted:

the most good he ever did a bear was feeding it

:drat:

Also this happened a few days ago in Africa: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/04/17/hunter-ian-gibson-trampled-death-elephant-tracking-kill_n_7085374.html

Elephant hunting seems like a pretty bad idea, IMO.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Fojar38 posted:

i unironically believe that forums poster drilldo squirt with their frog dong avatar are genuinely concerned about the welfare of their fellow man

You would be right, because I empathize with them.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ethanol posted:

ha ha ha ha ha ha it's a lot funnier if you really believe that

You did watch Grizzly Man right? The movie where 80% is the footage he shot because Werner Herzog thought it was good?

I'm not saying he was the sharpest tool in the shed, he tried to do the "wild animals are people too" which is wrong.

ethanol posted:

McCandless was an interesting guy, he was an idiot in many ways but came so loving close to making it.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 25, 2015

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
we did it boys

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

smoobles posted:

Being sad about death is pretty obvious trolling imo

agreed

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

death is sad and never funny, very serious business :(

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If the icefall got messed up that means there could be dozens of climbers above it with no way down.

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

Oh Long Johnson posted:

What the hell is wrong with you people

I wonder if the people who literally climb over the corpses of past climbers, being pulled up a mountain by poor and marginalized sherpas who have few ways of providing for their families other than risking their lives to climb a mountain they hold sacred to fulfill a self centered western adrenaline junkie's bucket list ever think this about themselves.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i believe only experienced alpinists should be allowed to climb 8,000 meter tall mountains and the people who exploit the nepalese to drag people with no experience climbingup the tallest mountain on the planet are pretty evil imho

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Having followed this thread and it's predecessors for several years, I'm surprised at how many hosed up opinions are in here today.

It is one thing to watch the train wreck of a woefully under prepared and delusional woman heading off to her death on a mountain.

It is completely different to celebrate the death toll of a natural disaster that has likely caused the deaths of many on the mountain, some of whom were richer and whiter than you and weren't 'proper' mountain climbers, and also a bunch of sherpas, guides, pro climbers and who knows else.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

captainoblivious posted:

I wonder if the people who literally climb over the corpses of past climbers, being pulled up a mountain by poor and marginalized sherpas who have few ways of providing for their families other than risking their lives to climb a mountain they hold sacred to fulfill a self centered western adrenaline junkie's bucket list ever think this about themselves.

I myself also wonder if the people who literally climb over the corpses of past climbers, being pulled up a mountain by poor and marginalized sherpas who have few ways of providing for their families other than risking their lives to climb a mountain they hold sacred to fulfill a self centered western adrenaline junkie's bucket list ever think this about themselves, as well.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Everyone in this thread is rich compared to your average Nepalese.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

You did watch Grizzly Man right? The movie where 80% is the footage he shot because Werner Herzog thought it was good?

yeah and the other 20% is pure herzog comedy with the amazing testimonies of the locals... "look how loving hilariously crazy and wrong he was about everything"... "ah yeah but he got some good footage before he got eaten by a bear" lol

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

captainoblivious posted:

You're insane

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GTO posted:

Having followed this thread and it's predecessors for several years, I'm surprised at how many hosed up opinions are in here today.

It is one thing to watch the train wreck of a woefully under prepared and delusional woman heading off to her death on a mountain.

It is completely different to celebrate the death toll of a natural disaster that has likely caused the deaths of many on the mountain, some of whom were richer and whiter than you and weren't 'proper' mountain climbers, and also a bunch of sherpas, guides, pro climbers and who knows else.

It's still funny if the Sherpas were right all along and the mountain really is a god, and that god is angry about the filthy disrespectful climbers. It would be pretty ironic if a literal angry god is what caused the earthquake.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

a bay posted:

I myself also wonder if the people who literally climb over the corpses of past climbers, being pulled up a mountain by poor and marginalized sherpas who have few ways of providing for their families other than risking their lives to climb a mountain they hold sacred to fulfill a self centered western adrenaline junkie's bucket list ever think this about themselves, as well.

Do we know how many sherpas believe the whole "mountain is holy and sacred" story compared to those who think it's just a big loving mountain?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ars Arcanum posted:

Sure was. Nice thread title, btw.

It does feel tasteless now. Perhaps I feel differently. Changing one's tune does seem better than doubling down on enjoying the deaths of others.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Also I feel Actually Sorry for participating in the SA Everest Death Pool because we now know how many people we literally killed with our evil thoughts and actions.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do we know how many sherpas believe the whole "mountain is holy and sacred" story compared to those who think it's just a big loving mountain?

Probably a few more than believed it last week.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

It's sacred to the extent that it allows them to corner the sherping market.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Angela Christine posted:

Unless they all believed it, then it's less

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Probably about the same ratio as the number of GBS goons who see the mountain as a secular instrument of divine Marxist retribution vs those who see it as the Xbox to K2's PC.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

Even though the epicenter was closer to Annapurna?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us20002926#general_map

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

a bay posted:

Probably about the same ratio as the number of GBS goons who see the mountain as a secular instrument of divine Marxist retribution vs those who see it as the Xbox to K2's PC.

Annapurna bitch. Get that mainstream poo poo outta here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK I'll give it a shot. Once. It's not going to work but it bears repeating anyway.

Climbing everest is suicidally stupid. It's not an accomplishment. It's not taking on a big challenge, just to see if you can handle it. It's not a life journey. It's not laudable in any way, shape, or form. It's just taking on an insane risk, for a benefit that is both minor, and achievable at much lower risk.

There are thousands of mountains all over the world that represent more challenging technical climbs. So climbing everest is not admirable as a technical climbing challenge. The "challenge" when climbing everest is against the (as far as medical science can determine) more or less random chance that you're susceptible to HACE or HAPE and will simply die due to the altitude. If you want to roll some dice and see if you'll die at high altitude, you can charter a depressurized flight for a tiny fraction of the money and also not putting anyone else's life at risk. The rest of it is a random dice roll as to whether you'll be killed by changing weather, a random avalanche, or some other mishap entirely beyond your or anyone's control.

There is nothing to be learned from climbing everest. But in doing so, wealthy people from all over the world (not just white people) create and sustain an economy of deadly risk. The sherpas who are completely essential to the organized annual Everest climb are pulled in by the money. They live in an impoverished country where $20 a day represents a huge salary. Members of Sherpa families must make the terrible choice between undertaking a horrendously life-threatening job - for money that will sustain themselves and their families at a higher standard of living for years, maybe decades - or pass up that opportunity and continue to live in abject poverty.

The people in this thread and its predecessor threads have unfailingly shown sympathy for the Sherpas who make the decision to haul inexperienced climbers up the side of a deadly mountain in order to feed and clothe their families. Where our sympathy ends, is with the wealthy tourists who are so deluded that they believe climbing Everest - Everest specifically, not mountaineering in general - is worth $50k to $100k of their money, and an insane risk of death to not only themselves, but the people they must employ in order to take this risk.

Why is it different from skydiving, or mountaineering in general, or any number of other dangerous activities? It's different because the risk and the reward are out of balance. Life without risk is incredibly boring and worthless, obviously. Nobody here disputes that. But risk should be concomitant to reward. When people take risks that are wildly out of balance with any possible reward, we make fun of their hubris. When they do it in a manner that disregards the lives of those around them, and the value that their own life has - to their families and friends, and to their communities, and to the rest of the world - we make joke "bets" on how many of them will die this year.

As I said, this isn't going to help the trolls understand, because concern trolling isn't actually about wanting to understand. But I sleep just fine at night. I don't enjoy the deaths of the idiots on Everest, but I enjoy making jokes about them with other Goons. I think the tragedy of their deaths is in the families they left behind, needlessly burdening them with a completely avoidable and pointless loss. Obviously the tragedy of this major earthquake is in the inability of an impoverished region of the world to deal with major earthquakes; thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of innocent people will have died avoidable deaths, because their country cannot afford to build earthquake-safe housing, has poorer emergency response systems in place than wealthy countries like ours, and is burdened by economic systems that sustain that poverty.

You won't find anyone in this thread happy or joking about dead people in Nepal. We're not even particularly "happy" about dead climbers on Everest. But making fun of them is a way of pointing out to everyone how worthless and stupid their deaths were. And they were. Utterly worthless and stupid deaths.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 25, 2015

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Q. Would you search every corpse you found for stuff to keep?

A. Hell yes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Every time I go to Zermatt I look at the Matterhorn and think "that's not that high, I could do that" from the ski slopes you take trains/lifts to. Like from the Gornergrat it really does look like it's right there. Fortunately I read threads like this and know if I ever tried I'd just add another corpse to the pile.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Last Chance posted:

It does feel tasteless now. Perhaps I feel differently. Changing one's tune does seem better than doubling down on enjoying the deaths of others.

I didn't do that, though? I said I felt bad for participating in the death pool (even though taking a guess at how many people might die any given year is not equivalent to hoping people die. We all know people are going to die on the mountain every year, it's inevitable).

Pretty sure no one here is totally loving the fact that a major earthquake just killed/injured hundreds of people and caused Everest to wipe out a bunch of climbers and sherpas, no matter how foolish some posters think said climbers are for spending ~$60K to waltz up a hill towards their potential deaths. Well, Ok, maybe a few people are, but most people saying so are just flinging poop back at the trolls at this point and being typical GBSers.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

ethanol posted:

...what exactly does one do with a dead porcupine? Make a ton of poison tipped darts from their quills?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Literally nobody here is celebrating the deaths of innocent people.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
You won't find anyone in this thread happy or joking about dead people in Nepal. We're not even particularly "happy" about dead climbers on Everest.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

OK I'll give it a shot. Once. It's not going to work but it bears repeating anyway.

Climbing everest is suicidally stupid. It's not an accomplishment. It's not taking on a big challenge, just to see if you can handle it. It's not a life journey. It's not laudable in any way, shape, or form. It's just taking on an insane risk, for a benefit that is both minor, and achievable at much lower risk.

There are thousands of mountains all over the world that represent more challenging technical climbs. So climbing everest is not admirable as a technical climbing challenge. The "challenge" when climbing everest is against the (as far as medical science can determine) more or less random chance that you're susceptible to HACE or HAPE and will simply die due to the altitude. If you want to roll some dice and see if you'll die at high altitude, you can charter a depressurized flight for a tiny fraction of the money and also not putting anyone else's life at risk. The rest of it is a random dice roll as to whether you'll be killed by changing weather, a random avalanche, or some other mishap entirely beyond your or anyone's control.

There is nothing to be learned from climbing everest. But in doing so, wealthy people from all over the world (not just white people) create and sustain an economy of deadly risk. The sherpas who are completely essential to the organized annual Everest climb are pulled in by the money. They live in an impoverished country where $20 a day represents a huge salary. Members of Sherpa families must make the terrible choice between undertaking a horrendously life-threatening job - for money that will sustain themselves and their families at a higher standard of living for years, maybe decades - or pass up that opportunity and continue to live in abject poverty.

The people in this thread and its predecessor threads have unfailingly shown sympathy for the Sherpas who make the decision to haul inexperienced climbers up the side of a deadly mountain in order to feed and clothe their families. Where our sympathy ends, is with the wealthy tourists who are so deluded that they believe climbing Everest - Everest specifically, not mountaineering in general - is worth $50k to $100k of their money, and an insane risk of death to not only themselves, but the people they must employ in order to take this risk.

Why is it different from skydiving, or mountaineering in general, or any number of other dangerous activities? It's different because the risk and the reward are out of balance. Life without risk is incredibly boring and worthless, obviously. Nobody here disputes that. But risk should be concomitant to reward. When people take risks that are wildly out of balance with any possible reward, we make fun of their hubris. When they do it in a manner that disregards the lives of those around them, and the value that their own life has - to their families and friends, and to their communities, and to the rest of the world - we make joke "bets" on how many of them will die this year.

As I said, this isn't going to help the trolls understand, because concern trolling isn't actually about wanting to understand. But I sleep just fine at night. I don't enjoy the deaths of the idiots on Everest, but I enjoy making jokes about them with other Goons. I think the tragedy of their deaths is in the families they left behind, needlessly burdening them with a completely avoidable and pointless loss. Obviously the tragedy of this major earthquake is in the inability of an impoverished region of the world to deal with major earthquakes; thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of innocent people will have died avoidable deaths, because their country cannot afford to build earthquake-safe housing, has poorer emergency response systems in place than wealthy countries like ours, and is burdened by economic systems that sustain that poverty.

You won't find anyone in this thread happy or joking about dead people in Nepal. We're not even particularly "happy" about dead climbers on Everest. But making fun of them is a way of pointing out to everyone how worthless and stupid their deaths were. And they were. Utterly worthless and stupid deaths.

You're retarded

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ars Arcanum posted:

...what exactly does one do with a dead porcupine? Make a ton of poison tipped darts from their quills?

Eat them? Supposed to taste like duck.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ars Arcanum posted:

I didn't do that, though? I said I felt bad for participating in the death pool (even though taking a guess at how many people might die any given year is not equivalent to hoping people die. We all know people are going to die on the mountain every year, it's inevitable).

Pretty sure no one here is totally loving the fact that a major earthquake just killed/injured hundreds of people and caused Everest to wipe out a bunch of climbers and sherpas, no matter how foolish some posters think said climbers are for spending ~$60K to waltz up a hill towards their potential deaths. Well, Ok, maybe a few people are, but most people saying so are just flinging poop back at the trolls at this point and being typical GBSers.
I wasn't really referring to you specifically. I sort of forgot about that old thread and in the wake of what's happening now, It just bums me out and feels wrong.

I can't speak for the Pepe penis avatar guy, but I'm not concern trolling and it feels like bizarre to be labeled as such just for feeling lovely and not wanting to make jokes about an ongoing tragedy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a bay posted:

You won't find anyone in this thread happy or joking about dead people in Nepal. We're not even particularly "happy" about dead climbers on Everest.

Joking, yes. "Celebrating," no.

Leperflesh posted:

As I said, this isn't going to help the trolls understand, because concern trolling isn't actually about wanting to understand.

Case in point:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Pvt Dancer posted:

Happy Hedonist looking good

I play to win.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

Joking, yes. "Celebrating," no.

Case in point:

We're not happy or making jokes, we aren't even "happy" about the white people that died. Okay maybe we are making jokes but we aren't "celebrating".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
any yeti sightings yet?

• Locked thread