Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Lotka Volterra posted:

How did you find out the political association of the last administration? I looked but it didn't mention anything about Republicans and Democrats.

That said, I worry this is the kind of crap we have to look forward to in the future with how politically polarized this country is becoming. People are living in completely different realities.

I admit, I assumed the newcomer was a Democrat since funny enough you never see accusations of voter fraud levied against Republicans, and because the Republicans did the investigating against the claim and they are unlikely to be trumpeting that their candidate cheated.

But I could be wrong, or it could be an "unaffiliated" race. In which case we are still lead with the person who won being blocked by the other party and the cops, which is still so far beyond the line of what is acceptable it defies description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

I admit, I assumed the newcomer was a Democrat since funny enough you never see accusations of voter fraud levied against Republicans, and because the Republicans did the investigating against the claim and they are unlikely to be trumpeting that their candidate cheated.

But I could be wrong, or it could be an "unaffiliated" race. In which case we are still lead with the person who won being blocked by the other party and the cops, which is still so far beyond the line of what is acceptable it defies description.

I think it is an unaffiliated race since I tried to find party affiliation, and it wasn't even listed for a previous mayor who was indicted for corruption. That said, she is black and in North County (this town borders Ferguson) so the odds of her being a Democrat are approximately infinity:1

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

quote:

McCray had defeated Mayor Darren Small on April 7 with 38 votes to his 18. Another candidate, Theda Wilson, received two votes.

McCray had defeated Mayor Darren Small on April 7 with 38 votes to his 18. Another candidate, Theda Wilson, received two votes.

http://www.komu.com/news/st-louis-area-mayor-suspended-for-alleged-voter-fraud/

She's got at least a handful in her pocket. Literally, I guess.

hobotrashcanfires fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 25, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Jagchosis posted:

I think it is an unaffiliated race since I tried to find party affiliation, and it wasn't even listed for a previous mayor who was indicted for corruption. That said, she is black and in North County (this town borders Ferguson) so the odds of her being a Democrat are approximately infinity:1

Just from looking at the demographics (94+% black) it's safe to say that most of the parties involved are probably Democrats and this is just a small town power struggle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

Just Republicans and cops barring a duly elected mayor for assuming office, nbd

WRT the allegations of voter fraud, County Republican Election Director Gary Fuhr said that in response to the city’s complaints, the election board sent four canvassers to Kinloch on Tuesday to verify that voters were registered to correct addresses. He declined to say what canvassers found. (gosh, if he had found evidence of fraud you'd think he would be trumpeting it)

I look forward to the police chief being really loving indignant when the Mayor fires his rear end for gross incompetence as soon as she's able to get properly sworn in and start her job.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Kinloch was the first African American municipality incorporated in Missouri. This means, of course, that over the decades it has almost entirely been destroyed by airport construction. Because if you're going to make a town uninhabitable due to flight paths and construction, you're going to pick the blackest one around.
It's been chipped away and degraded like an abandoned building on the verge of collapse.

Anyway, in a lot of these tiny, poor, black communities the politics are run entirely on corruption and personality.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Lotka Volterra posted:

Just from looking at the demographics (94+% black) it's safe to say that most of the parties involved are probably Democrats and this is just a small town power struggle.

Small town is an understatement, it's three quarters of a square mile in area and a population of about 300.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PupsOfWar posted:

how gay is he though

as all hell

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

We would also have accepted, "ſuper gay, and hates thee."

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 25, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

hobotrashcanfires posted:

http://www.komu.com/news/st-louis-area-mayor-suspended-for-alleged-voter-fraud/

She's got at least a handful in her pocket. Literally, I guess.

Theda was the interim mayor that Darren small paid his cousins on the police force to beat the shut out of when she attempted to take the job after Darren small was ordered removed from office for felony child support charges. It's a really hosed up town.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

Theda was the interim mayor that Darren small paid his cousins on the police force to beat the shut out of when she attempted to take the job after Darren small was ordered removed from office for felony child support charges. It's a really hosed up town.

What? Really, go into detail. It's bizarre enough and not shocking that it's right next door to Ferguson.

I mean, I want to believe that the town right next door to Ferguson isn't poo poo..but..

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

As far as I've found, the new mayor is, in fact, a Democrat and the old mayor is a Republican, even if the race is technically 'unaffiliated'.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can't wait until we elect congresswoman Hatsune Miku.

Senator Sheev Palpatine :colbert:. He'll fix our broken Republic.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Pack it up Obamailures, the Republican Party won again! The GOP lead the way on civil rights and now leads the way on Trans* rights!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Neremworld posted:

As far as I've found, the new mayor is, in fact, a Democrat and the old mayor is a Republican, even if the race is technically 'unaffiliated'.

At the super local level, party really doesn't mean anything. Bob McCulloch is a Democrat, for example.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The weekly address from the President and the GOP (represented by Paul Ryan) are in agreement. Can you guess the issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOEUD6YYzLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN4pfxOtdxk

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

In the Baltimore Freddie Gray case, how can there be no statement whatsoever from the police about what happened to the guy for over a week since they detained him?

Obviously giving any account means giving an account which can be shown false by evidence later, but how can they not even give the most cursory account like "we think he took some spills while the van was moving around the city (maybe we should have had a seatbelt on him)", "we think he already had the injury falling off his bike running from us (we maybe should have given a lick about his welfare and maybe got him medical help when he seemed in distress)"?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Joementum posted:

The weekly address from the President and the GOP (represented by Paul Ryan) are in agreement. Can you guess the issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOEUD6YYzLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN4pfxOtdxk

Goddratit I was really hoping my guess was wrong :suicide:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zwabu posted:

In the Baltimore Freddie Gray case, how can there be no statement whatsoever from the police about what happened to the guy for over a week since they detained him?

Obviously giving any account means giving an account which can be shown false by evidence later, but how can they not even give the most cursory account like "we think he took some spills while the van was moving around the city (maybe we should have had a seatbelt on him)", "we think he already had the injury falling off his bike running from us (we maybe should have given a lick about his welfare and maybe got him medical help when he seemed in distress)"?

Cops can plead the 5th just as everyone else can.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) Hillary, and all presidential candidates, don't tend to deviate far from the center of the party. She will probably represent the center-left of the 2016 Democratic party, which will be well to the left of the general public, but not exactly as far as most activists are going to want her to go.

4) Solidifying partisan politics and ideologies have changed the field a lot.

I agree, but I would argue that she is personally to the left of her own campaign and is pulled toward the center by pragmatism - that being center-left is her compromise position. And that she has worked for decades cultivating friendships across the party lines that defray point #4. My opinion is partly due to things like being for healthcare reform before it was cool and the delicate inroads she is currently making towards universal daycare ( which honestly have me all excited ... The last time a universal daycare bill got passed Nixon was president and he vetoed it ) and partly because the leadership styles of women differ from the leadership styles of men so her actions should be interpreted differently.

I am not for a moment saying that the difference in leadership methodologies is innate or represents a biotruths male/female difference. But we live in a sexist society and if women use leadership styles reserved for men they blow up in our faces. Any rational being in a society where following their orders is perceived as lowering your social status ( bossy / pussywhipped / etc ) will adopt a "lead from behind" or mediation based approach that avoids things like simply giving orders but instead uses consensus building or other indirect strategies. If you are a member of a group that it is socially acceptable to publicly interrupt ( http://m.asq.sagepub.com/content/56/4/622.short ) then you save your controversial statements for one-on-one discussions and get everyone on the same page before you speak to the group - and in that process you broker compromises meaning the final proposal isn't necessarily what you started with.

If you don't you'll be interrupted all the time and then perceived as an incompetent boss because you are interrupted all the time. which signals a lack of respect and good bosses are respected. Which is why that study above shows that men address the group more often as they gain power while women don't - however many studies show that female leaders engage in massively more one on one conversations.

Clinton detractors love to complain about mutually contradictory things so among sufferers of clinton derangement syndrome she is simultaneously to masculine in her style - marching around and giving orders in a most unfeminine and unnatural way - while they also make hay complaining about perfectly normal feminine leadership traits ( back room deals! Lack of transparency! Private conversations! What is she hiding?!?!? She's always talking 1-on-1 with republicans and being friendly with them!!! ). A common complaint is about the lack of public debate in "team Hillary" and the accusation that she silences debate through threats of horrible retribution is frequent. This is a very dramatic and sinister interpretation of perfectly normal and well documented behavior patterns. Female leaders engage in a lot of one-on-ones when hammering out compromises and acting as mediators between different factions.

Basically, what Obama tried to do by stepping up and proposing a reasonable compromise is what women leaders routinely do - just women do a hell of a lot of legwork first to get enough people behind the compromise that by the time they propose it its fait accompli. Obama skipped the necessary pre-work and sought to lead from the front with compromise ... Which backfired spectacularly because the masculine leadership style requires that you open discussion asking for as much ( or more ) than you want and negotiate from there. The inspired speech is the start of the process for male leaders while in the feminine leadership mode the public proposal is the end of the process.

Because Obama made a big deal about being a unifier people understood that when he proposed a compromise he was offering policy to the right of his preference and automatically left-shift when thinking about Obama the person. Most people don't do that for Hillary but they should because it is a natural consequence of our society forcing women into a more indirect leadership mode.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 25, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So does that mean Carly Fiorina will be a good president?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I do have concerns about the administrative effectiveness of a potential Hillary Clinton presidency, because she and Bill have a long history of valuing loyalty far above competence in their associates. No leader is immune to this (see: Daley, Bill; Miers, Harriet), but it's the norm, not the exception, with the Clintons and led to a chaotic first two years for Bill in the White House (his transition team is considered one of the worst ever) and a poor campaign in 2008. The campaign is doing their best to show they haven't succumbed to that temptation this time, but the pressure from their allies has only just begun.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

So does that mean Carly Fiorina will be a good president?

Nope. It's saying that the effective female leaders are forced by society to this style of operating and you should evaluate their actions in accordance with that.

Women who don't do it are perceived as poorer leaders than men who do the exact same things. Carly, as I understand it, was partially screwed because the ink was already dry on horrible choices like the sale of profitable divisions before she stepped up but also tried to lead in the masculine mode ... Which causes people to dislike female leaders and perceive them as incompetent even when things are going well. There are ample studies on the phenomena if you fire up Google.

The woman acting as mediator/leader could be to the right of the compromise she proposes as easily as to the left. And she could be engaging in blackmail one on one. But the pattern itself of private discussions followed by a public compromise proposal accepted with a minimum of pushback isn't indicative of anything.

Clinton is on record pushing left wing initiatives so we can conclude that she personally is to the left of the compromises she proposes. It's much harder to infer anything about her one on one negotiating tactics because we don't see them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

hobbesmaster posted:

Not exactly, Baltimore has a law that allows cops not to talk or be asked about a killing for 10 days.
10 freaking days. Plenty of time to get all the stories straight.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm not talking so much about the rights of the individual police not to have to speak without a lawyer. I'm referring more to any obligation the police have to file a report about any interaction with citizens, especially ones that involve depriving the citizen of their liberty (arrest, detention), even for a brief time, or certainly any contact resulting in injury or death to the citizen.

The case just has the appearance that you can be arrested and brought back dead and the police seem not to have any obligation to provide any explanation to your family or the public about what happened?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
"While police say five of the six officers involved in the arrest have provided statements to investigators, the department has not released details of what the officers said or how Gray might have suffered the fatal injury. The sixth officer has invoked his right to refuse to answer questions, Batts said."

Baltimore PD has a twitter account that has seen a number of updates (@BaltimorePolice), and that same account as released public statements on scribd, in addition to posting videos related to the investigation. I'm not sure if this is already the case, but I think there should be internal cameras on police cars and vans.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, “Rand Paul is Ron Paul 2.0: Same algorithms, better user interface. His principals are very much intact, he’s just better at articulating them." ~ Rep. Tom Massie

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “Rand Paul is Ron Paul 2.0: Same algorithms, better user interface. His principals are very much intact, he’s just better at articulating them." ~ Rep. Tom Massie

Rand Paul Jr. is a warez of Rand Paul: Everything's the same, except for the steam crack which plays a little Midi

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Rand Paul Jr. is a warez of Rand Paul: Everything's the same, except for the steam crack which plays a little Midi

~SHOUT OUTS 2 THE GOLD BUG KRACKIN KREW & MAILBOX DRONEZZZ / F2 TO TURN ON UNLIMITED VOTING ~

*bleeeee bleep bloop wurrrrp*

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I do have concerns about the administrative effectiveness of a potential Hillary Clinton presidency, because she and Bill have a long history of valuing loyalty far above competence in their associates. No leader is immune to this (see: Daley, Bill; Miers, Harriet), but it's the norm, not the exception, with the Clintons and led to a chaotic first two years for Bill in the White House (his transition team is considered one of the worst ever) and a poor campaign in 2008. The campaign is doing their best to show they haven't succumbed to that temptation this time, but the pressure from their allies has only just begun.

I bolded an important tiny clause up there.

The wonderful thing about human beings is that most of us learn from experience. There is a story told frequently in business settings by upper level people that goes something like this:

When the executive was younger they hosed up bad. They thought they'd be fired. They weren't. They were dressed down throughly but didn't get demoted or let go. They're boss explained that the reason they aren't getting the boot is because there is a word for their spectacular gently caress up.

Experience.

And that is why the executive today isn't firing you after your horrible mistake. Now that you are more experienced they can trust that you won't gently caress up again. If you do repeat your mistakes that's a different story, but the first ones free.

One of the ways in which subtle/structural discrimination occurs in society is that out-groups aren't given the chance to learn from experience. Any mistake they make is held against them forever as if having made it once it is inevitable that they will make it again and again.

Are you completely sure that you are not doing this?

In your own post you noted that those problems only dogged the first two years of a presidency that lasted rather longer than two years. Furthermore, isn't the general consensus in Hillary 2008 campaign that the problems were due to her attempt to emulate Lincoln's "team of rivals" and encourage a wide diversity of opinions that backfired by creating to much internal strife? Also something I expect she has learned from?

To close, I dog eared a page in her book over a year ago because there was a quote in it I knew would come in handy:

Hillary posted:

Learn to take criticism seriously, but not personally. Your critics can actually teach you lessons your friends can't or won't.

Page 179, Hard Choices.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

McAlister posted:

The wonderful thing about human beings is that most of us learn from experience. There is a story told frequently in business settings by upper level people that goes something like this:

When the executive was younger they hosed up bad. They thought they'd be fired. They weren't. They were dressed down throughly but didn't get demoted or let go. They're boss explained that the reason they aren't getting the boot is because there is a word for their spectacular gently caress up.

Experience.

*does not apply to rank and file employees

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

McAlister posted:

Experience.

And that is why the executive today isn't firing you after your horrible mistake. Now that you are more experienced they can trust that you won't gently caress up again. If you do repeat your mistakes that's a different story, but the first ones free.

One of the ways in which subtle/structural discrimination occurs in society is that out-groups aren't given the chance to learn from experience. Any mistake they make is held against them forever as if having made it once it is inevitable that they will make it again and again.

Are you completely sure that you are not doing this?

In your own post you noted that those problems only dogged the first two years of a presidency that lasted rather longer than two years. Furthermore, isn't the general consensus in Hillary 2008 campaign that the problems were due to her attempt to emulate Lincoln's "team of rivals" and encourage a wide diversity of opinions that backfired by creating to much internal strife? Also something I expect she has learned from?

To close, I dog eared a page in her book over a year ago because there was a quote in it I knew would come in handy:

Page 179, Hard Choices.

I love your posts, McAlister. Thanks for all of this.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McAlister posted:

Experience.

Page 179, Hard Choices.

Hillary is not going to get a chance to do anything in office anyway. Her first two years will be like the last six, 2010-2016, of Obama's presidency. She'll have a Republican House and probably a Republican Senate so judicial and other appointments are going to be the only thing she actually gets to do; other than continuing the trend of governing by executive order.

edit: I'm just hoping the Democrats can get enough seats in the House and Senate to support her vetoes

radical meme fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 25, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What's Hillary's stance on craftbrews, and has Bill been to any bunga bunga parties at Stephani's Tuscan villa lately?

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Dr. Tough posted:

*does not apply to rank and file employees

The fact that this treatment is not extended to out-groups is precisely my point, yes.

And Clinton is clearly an out group here as evidenced by the general willingness to believe/repeat negative assertions without evidence and the general forum endorsement of Obama over Hillary in 2008 which involved a fair amount of mudslinging at her.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

McAlister posted:

The fact that this treatment is not extended to out-groups is precisely my point, yes.

And Clinton is clearly an out group here as evidenced by the general willingness to believe/repeat negative assertions without evidence and the general forum endorsement of Obama over Hillary in 2008 which involved a fair amount of mudslinging at her.

It was way more even than that in terms of Obama and Hilary supporters. There was lots of you're a racist/sexist thrown around in 08 on the simplest of criticism

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

McAlister posted:

Hilary is not a member of an "out group". She's a wealthy former First Lady, Senator, and Secretary of State. The People spreading awful rumors about her are her political enemies so what they're doing is hardly surprising.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Tough posted:

Hilary is not a member of an "out group". She's a wealthy former First Lady, Senator, and Secretary of State. The People spreading awful rumors about her are her political enemies so what they're doing is hardly surprising.

It ain't a rumor that the Clinton Foundation has some awfully fishy donations going on.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

McAlister posted:

The poor transition that began Bill's first term led to a series of crises that contributed significantly to the Republican takeover in '94 and caused Clinton to pivot to the right in '96. It had real consequences that lasted throughout his time in the White House. The "team of rivals" metaphor was used to describe the Obama transition, not Hillary's campaign, which was full of Clinton loyalists fighting for the influence of the candidate and her husband. Have they learned from these experiences? As I mentioned, the early evidence from the setup of her campaign this year suggests that they have. Podesta and Mook are aggressively leaking internal memos that say they won't tolerate infighting. But the recent squabble to lead the Clinton Foundation (along with that organization's seeming inability to provide competent accounting) and the fact her staff felt that setting up a private server for Sid to gossip with her about the Obamas was a good idea suggests that the lesson hasn't been fully absorbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
And

Dr. Tough posted:

I set my goal posts carefully and I'll thank you not to move them about. This is a left wing forum where "eat the rich" is said only half jokingly.

She is an out group here. Which is why when you guys bemoan her it's mostly tone arguments or hand waving about how she shouldn't be given credit for good thing X because she's really a horrible selfish money grabber who is just pretending to be a caring person.

• Locked thread