Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
You need a warrior though because only warriors have sufficiently sturdy feet to kick down walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Pretty much everything works. Two mages or two rogues is fine.

Quadruple rogue party gets pretty rough, especially in boss fights where you don't get the benefit of a free initial shot.

Of course, that's discounting +Guard on hit daggers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Parody Threads posted:

They really hosed up the loot in this game. All purps are garbage save a few that drop from dragons or special quests. Honestly your best bet is to start the Suvlein Blade mission and schematic farm the chests there. Go in, always leave one item in each chest, leave, come back, repeat. Hopefully you're on the bone where you can watch TV in the corner.

Crafted gear is the only good gear.

I've give that a try. The best loot i've been getting are daggers, but I'm not using a dagger rogue. I pretty much exclusively use Sera.

Where do I start the Suvlein blade mission?

BTW, The mission to recruit the mages was one of the best quests I've ever done in a game that I can remember. Its crazy and creepy and really intense. Does the one to recruit the Templars compare?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

twistedmentat posted:

I've give that a try. The best loot i've been getting are daggers, but I'm not using a dagger rogue. I pretty much exclusively use Sera.

BTW, The mission to recruit the mages was one of the best quests I've ever done in a game that I can remember. Its crazy and creepy and really intense. Does the one to recruit the Templars compare?

It's complete and utter crap, both in comparison to the mage quest and story wise on it's own, because an entire organization trained to recognize and fight demons DOESN'T FIGURE OUT THAT THEIR LEADER IS A loving DEMON..

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Also because Dorian isn't with you during the Templar quest, and Dorian is the best.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah. I think so. Not quite as creepy but part of it was pretty weird. It was a lot tougher for me than In Hushed Whispers. I have no clue if it would have been easier with my mage though.

I finally skipped the puzzles in What Pride Had Wrought on my 3rd playthrough. Didn't realize it would be so different.

grack posted:

It's complete and utter crap, both in comparison to the mage quest and story wise on it's own, because an entire organization trained to recognize and fight demons DOESN'T FIGURE OUT THAT THEIR LEADER IS A loving DEMON..

I agree. But it's still weird and if someone's doing a second playthrough, they might as well check it out.

Bored fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 25, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Don't get me wrong, I did the Templar quest on a playthrough but I haven't gone back to it since, as the quest sucks and how it affects the rest of the game is not to my liking.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Playing Inq for the first time, I have a level 4 Mage. This talk of schematic farming has me worried - is there an alternative to top end gear than letting chests respawn via tricking them? ugh. I'd even be content to mindlessly slay easy monsters!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

pmchem posted:

Playing Inq for the first time, I have a level 4 Mage. This talk of schematic farming has me worried - is there an alternative to top end gear than letting chests respawn via tricking them? ugh. I'd even be content to mindlessly slay easy monsters!

I'm pretty certain on most difficulties you don't need to do this to beat the game, it's a matter of being able to make cool stuff (or marginally different variations of the coat you made at level 5).

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah theres really no other way than just crafting. I hardly ever find weapons that are even close to as good as the ones I craft.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

grack posted:

Don't get me wrong, I did the Templar quest on a playthrough but I haven't gone back to it since, as the quest sucks and how it affects the rest of the game is not to my liking.

Having Cole around early is good but Dorian is mad at you and that's not a worthwhile tradeoff. I enjoyed the quest itself, defending the great hall is real tense when you don't know it's coming or the consequences. And Barris is a good bro.

The mage quest is absolutely better though. I much prefer Samson to Calpernia and killing Fiona made me feel like poo poo.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I'm pretty certain on most difficulties you don't need to do this to beat the game, it's a matter of being able to make cool stuff (or marginally different variations of the coat you made at level 5).

ugh well then I guess I'll figure out what chest farming should be done. I'd much rather be repeatedly killing dragons or demons for new schematics but that's not possible/practical?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

pmchem posted:

ugh well then I guess I'll figure out what chest farming should be done. I'd much rather be repeatedly killing dragons or demons for new schematics but that's not possible/practical?

Most schematics you buy or pick up organically. I've never needed to cheese chests to get gear. Either way works just fine. Just play the game, quit stressing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

^^^

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jesus does my wrist hurts after three days of spamming the left stick button. And I've haven't been playing excessively long - 4-6 hours a day. There should be some health guidelines against criminally stupid RSI triggers in games.

(I don't actually hate the game despite the amount of my complaining)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Are you clicking for everything? You can just hold the button down.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

pmchem posted:

You get access to two vendors in the second part of the game that sell some of the best schematics in the game. Not best of the best and they cost good money, but once you get some decent resources gathered more than enough to craft endgame gear.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Averaging on five hours a day is still a lot of video games, anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

eating only apples posted:

Having Cole around early is good but Dorian is mad at you and that's not a worthwhile tradeoff.

You can avoid any repercussions with Dorian simply by not going to Redcliffe. You can even just go to Redcliffe, recruit the agent, then go visit the templars.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember running across somewhere that had some pretty pricy recipies, but I cannot for the life of me find it again. I could have sworn it was in the Capital, but nope.

I think by far my favorite thing to do is the judgements. They can get pretty fun.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

This is off-topic, but how poorly did Dragon Age Origins age? I finished the game when it came out and I'm looking to go through the game, its expansion, and DA2 (origin humble bundle) before going into Inquisition. Yet every single conversation is really creeping me out. The crappy graphics, stilted conversations, and the weird thing the characters do when they are about to say something where their mouths stretch wide like they're about to devour my face are all putting me off.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I know they can't because it would basically require them to stat out multiple completely divergent plotlines, but I really wish they would address the decisions made in DA:O in more detail in future games.

The fact that there's potentially an entire nation of werewolves out there seems like it should be something that people would know and/or care about but it just kind of goes unmentioned.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The graphics aged like poo poo, which isn't very surprising when they never really put any effort into an art style. The game is also at least six years old and a generation behind now. Don't play DA2.

If all you're worried about is how it looks in relation to Inquisition, don't. DAI looks fine.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just ran through them on my 2nd playthrough and the hissing wastes is just such a terrible place.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just ran through them on my 2nd playthrough and the hissing wastes is just such a terrible place.

I thought it was super cool-looking getting there for the first time, but then the realization that I was going to be exploring those dunes set in and it did, in fact, suck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lotish posted:

Are you clicking for everything? You can just hold the button down.
This might be a thumb saver, thanks. It's still not all that comfortable, but much better. I feel stupid for not realizing this myself.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Averaging on five hours a day is still a lot of video games, anyway.
I don't think it's egregious for a few days, not for most rpg games.

Manatee Cannon posted:

If all you're worried about is how it looks in relation to Inquisition, don't. DAI looks fine.
Half of DAOs locales were thinly veiled corridors. It was a different sort of game but it did sometimes feel claustrophobic. Seeing Redcliffe recreated as an actual village was a really cool moment, and I hope there's more.

Question: I've been to a few places where there were Veilfire torches that I couldn't find anything with. Are some just randomly placed without actual purpose?

Also: Yeah, lightsaber mages seem kinda really good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It it wasn't like, three times the size of just about every other location outside of the HInterlands it would be fine. I've no idea why it had to be so goddamned big.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I don't think it's egregious for a few days, not for most rpg games.

All I was saying is that five hours a day is still a strain on your wrists, especially when you've been doing it often for years or even decades. It catches up to you eventually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

All I was saying is that five hours a day is still a strain on your wrists, especially when you've been doing it often for years or even decades. It catches up to you eventually.

Absolutely, and I only play like that a couple times a year (daily mouse use is bad enough). It makes the pinging mechanic all the worse, and almost irresponsible on the developers part.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you sound ridiculous

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So I'm starting to plan my second playthrough even though I've still got like three whole zones to explore (albeit I have no idea how long they will take). I was thinking about doing either an elf mage or dwarf warrior (I went human rogue first time).

My question is, which of these characters is better suited for the sarcastic answers, since I plan on using a lot of those?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Does anyone else feel kinda bad killing Snofleurs? I mean, useful skin and all that but they're so pathetic I feel like I'm killing someone's lost pet. Then I see them periscope and feel really bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is one good thing to say about DA2 and that is at least it has a distinctive style. DAO had 4 models for everything and they only varied in colour. 2 models for peoples bodies. I tried to play through it as I never did a Dwarf Warden and never played Awakenings, but it just feels so clunky now. Like Mass Effect 1.

Thank god they have the Keep so you can just click on the choices and not have to suffer through the first two games.

I managed to kill a bunch of dragons, and what was in the loot? loving daggers. No game, I will not use Cole, he's like Jacob, I have zero interest in choosing him over one of the other companions unless you force me.

Man, it is crazy how much dialog there is between your party members. And it can be situational, and they have continuous conversations too. Sera and Blackwall have been talking about how much nobles suck for ages, and Solas is always trying to get her to be more elvish.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

There is one good thing to say about DA2 and that is at least it has a distinctive style. DAO had 4 models for everything and they only varied in colour. 2 models for peoples bodies. I tried to play through it as I never did a Dwarf Warden and never played Awakenings, but it just feels so clunky now. Like Mass Effect 1.

Thank god they have the Keep so you can just click on the choices and not have to suffer through the first two games.

I managed to kill a bunch of dragons, and what was in the loot? loving daggers. No game, I will not use Cole, he's like Jacob, I have zero interest in choosing him over one of the other companions unless you force me.

Man, it is crazy how much dialog there is between your party members. And it can be situational, and they have continuous conversations too. Sera and Blackwall have been talking about how much nobles suck for ages, and Solas is always trying to get her to be more elvish.

There's ~5.5 hours of companion banter in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0zNyv_WdH0 if you want to hear it all

Also, you can re-spec every one of your companions. If you don't like Cole and want to use the fancy daggers you find you can re-spec Sera or Varric as double dagger rogues. You just can't change their specializations (or make Varric use a bow besides Bianca). Sera, in particular, absolutely rips poo poo up with daggers because the Tempest specialization works really well with melee characters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

grack posted:

There's ~5.5 hours of companion banter in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0zNyv_WdH0 if you want to hear it all

Also, you can re-spec every one of your companions. If you don't like Cole and want to use the fancy daggers you find you can re-spec Sera or Varric as double dagger rogues. You just can't change their specializations (or make Varric use a bow besides Bianca). Sera, in particular, absolutely rips poo poo up with daggers because the Tempest specialization works really well with melee characters.

Yea, I did that when I was doing Redcliff and got a purp dagger from a chest, I switched Sera over to daggers for a bit and she was doing near Iron bull level damage. I put her back on bow once it was done, because i try to RP characters rather than min maxing them. Though she can't be doing that much damage as an archer, and I haven't made or found a decent bow yet.

I finally got a new set of armor, I was running around with armor with 179 defense since level 10, and only at 19 did something higher than that show up.

Is there any actual date for the fabled Black Emporium patch? I remember that the BE had a good supply of decent stuff in 2.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i miss when these games had unique loot or unique crafts.. i'd much rather have a flail of ages than "Masterwork Two-Handed Sword," or a keening blade instead of "slightly better damage Generic Two-Handed Sword."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

Question: I've been to a few places where there were Veilfire torches that I couldn't find anything with. Are some just randomly placed without actual purpose?
Nope, there's always a reason. You may have to look further than you think you do, I can think of one in EDL that's a real pain in the rear end to find.

grack posted:

Does anyone else feel kinda bad killing Snofleurs? I mean, useful skin and all that but they're so pathetic I feel like I'm killing someone's lost pet. Then I see them periscope and feel really bad.
Do what I did, follow a murderbear around just outside of its aggro range and pick up whatever it leaves behind :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I try to keep everyone without guard generation, or my newly trained KE inquisitor, ranged because the ai isn't very good at managing close up combat with frailer characters - and is bad at knowing when to use support barriers. The discovery of the Hold position command has saved me innumerable potions.

On that note, knight enchanter really is nutso. I expected a modicum of mana management or skill, but no, just the default KE tree lets you mindlessly flail at enemies to inevitability, without punishment. And even the focus ability seems contrary to the games entire approach to healing.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Nope, there's always a reason. You may have to look further than you think you do, I can think of one in EDL that's a real pain in the rear end to find.

Oh god, this revelation is going to lead me to so much wasted time.

Roobanguy posted:

i miss when these games had unique loot or unique crafts.. i'd much rather have a flail of ages than "Masterwork Two-Handed Sword," or a keening blade instead of "slightly better damage Generic Two-Handed Sword."

You can rename it at the end of item creation, though!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Btw, hold to ping doesn't work on PS4. :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Orlesian Ball was Bioware doing what it does best. There's a lot I find objectionable about the game, but there's plenty good stuff here.

• Locked thread