Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation
Definitely plan on proxying things to start out, just in my previous experience with mini games I benefit a lot from knowing some archetypes going into it just so I can start wrapping my head around what I want to try out :)

Luckily there's a pretty good group around me so I can probably try anything I wanted to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, but then you get a VI'ed up Vader and you really don't need to worry about it that much. I think for the non-named pilots Accuracy Corrector is fine but for either Vader or Stele you want the ATC.

For them, sure, but not the generics. Vader especially will be killer of course, I'm really not sold on Stele over other ships though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The problem with stele is e same problem with any relatively poor PS target-locks: whatever you target lock might be out of your sights if they move after you. Also that you don't get consistent damage/repositioning unless you have PtL. On the other hand once he actually get to use his ability, it's really nice.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
The Hound's Tooth looks really interesting. Anyone catch how many points it's going to cost to field a freighter and then a Z-95?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SquadronROE posted:

The Hound's Tooth looks really interesting. Anyone catch how many points it's going to cost to field a freighter and then a Z-95?

I don't know how much the Hound's Tooth itself costs but the title that let's you bail out into a Headhunter looks to be 6 points.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Saw this on my fb feed: http://www.twitch.tv/m240guy if any of you want to tune in to watch people play x-wing. It should be filled with good caliber players. Bunch of guys at nova decided to make their own star wars tournament weekend and they might do it again next year.

apparently paul is also commenting.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

Bossk is 35 points, and almost certainly the most expensive pilot, so 35 or less. I don't plan on running it myself, but 1 or 2 YV-666s with 3 Tacticians each could definitely be a thing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Looking forward to Tarkin on a shuttle + Rexler Brath causing problems.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Madurai posted:

Looking forward to Tarkin on a shuttle + Rexler Brath causing problems.

The preview shows him as Huge Ship only. Guess he's only willing to slum it so far.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

StuG Jeebus posted:

The preview shows him as Huge Ship only. Guess he's only willing to slum it so far.

Is there another Imperial option that gives out focus tokens?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Madurai posted:

Fleet Officer hands out focus to up to 2 other ships at the cost of a stress, 3 point crew. Range 1-2 though, so you have to be semi-close for it to work.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Madurai posted:

Not that I can think of off the top of my head, but I rarely run anything Imperial besides Interceptors and Defenders. Really, Rebs seem to do inter-ship combos better if that's what you're looking for. As for Rex, I've kinda given up on him. He seems really great on paper, but never quite achieves on the table.

e: beaten like Greedo. Fleet Officer it is.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 26, 2015

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I guess Squad Leader would help, but still wouldn't give two focus tokens, which is what he really needs.

Madurai fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 26, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I tried out this list today:

Howlrunner (18)
+ Swarm Tactics (2)

3x Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)

2x Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)
+ Autothrusters (2)

Total: 99 points

I played a match against a Deci + Whisper list and utterly destroyed Whisper with the two Alphas before they were killed by Chirpy's turret. Howlrunner was also claimed by the turret before the three remaining TIEs chased it around the board plinking at it until it died.
I get the feeling that I wouldn't have lasted as long were the Whisper flown better. Any thoughts on improving this list?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I find Obsidians to be garbage personally. A bump to PS3 is not worth anything imo. My 2 favorite swarms lists have been

Howl
Backstabber
Alpha x3
Academy

and

Hown - swarm
Black Sqd - swarm x2
Alpha x2
Academy

The first one shits all over large base ships like no other and the second list has a lot of flexibility to swarm up to whatever you need (3 PS8s or 2 8s and 2 4s) while still having pretty decent blocking ability.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

zVxTeflon posted:

I find Obsidians to be garbage personally. A bump to PS3 is not worth anything imo. My 2 favorite swarms lists have been

Howl
Backstabber
Alpha x3
Academy

and

Hown - swarm
Black Sqd - swarm x2
Alpha x2
Academy

The first one shits all over large base ships like no other and the second list has a lot of flexibility to swarm up to whatever you need (3 PS8s or 2 8s and 2 4s) while still having pretty decent blocking ability.

Thanks for the feedback. The second list looks like the better of the two for me, since I only have two Interceptors. I was using Obsidian pilots for the 3PS to shoot first when flying against the terrifying BBBBZ list, since that's all 2PS.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Can you daisychain Swarm Tactics?

E.g: Howlrunner (PS 8) upgrades-> Black Sqd (PS 4 to 8) then upgrades-> Academy (PS 1 to 8)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Endman posted:

Can you daisychain Swarm Tactics?

E.g: Howlrunner (PS 8) upgrades-> Black Sqd (PS 4 to 8) then upgrades-> Academy (PS 1 to 8)

Yes, the FAQ explicitly states that you can.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Let's go on a flight to fantasy game land! How would you design a card like Swarm Tactics with a viral clause in a way that would be interesting? Something that started with text like:

quote:

At the start of the Combat phase, choose 1 friendly ship at Range 1.

Until the end of this phase, treat the chosen ship as if its pilot skill were equal to your pilot skill.

Until the end of this phase, the chosen ship gains a copy of this card.

I don't know if PS is actually a good mechanic to pair with this kind of effect. Maybe you could use something similar to fix ordnance...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

Let's go on a flight to fantasy game land! How would you design a card like Swarm Tactics with a viral clause in a way that would be interesting? Something that started with text like:

I don't know if PS is actually a good mechanic to pair with this kind of effect. Maybe you could use something similar to fix ordnance...

If I were to do something like this, instead of an upgrade applied to an individual ship I would make it an upgrade that applied to your whole list. Call it a Squadron Title or something along those lines.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Soontir Fel (27)
+Royal Guard TIE (0)
+Push the Limit (3)
+Autothrusters (2)
+Stealth Device (3)

Howlrunner (18)
+Swarm Tactics (2)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)
+Swarm Tactics (2)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)
+Swarm Tactics (2)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 99 points

The next iteration of my list. Substituted the two Alphas + Autothrusters for Soontir because when I played one of my Alphas got nuked early anyway, so I figure a better pilot with a bit more survivability and an EPT might be better value for points considering he comes out being 5 points cheaper than the two Alphas.

Howlrunner + Blacks + Academy use daisy-chained Swarm Tactics to make sure I've got decent blocking from the Academy + high PS shooting from all four at PS 8 in combat combined with Howlrunner's dice reroll for everyone in range 1.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has anyone played with Vassal before? I see there's a bunch of files but don't know where to start. I haven't used open source stuff in a while.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Chill la Chill posted:

Has anyone played with Vassal before? I see there's a bunch of files but don't know where to start. I haven't used open source stuff in a while.

I haven't used Vassal in some time- at least a few versions of the X-Wing module previous, as I think they're on 5.2 or 5.3 now. There was a good intro guide page somewhere that should still be relevant. Overall, it's good, but the setup time is a bit long and generally it can be a finicky. I wouldn't want to try using it with a trackpad instead of a mouse.

I think muon from Team Covenant has changed it at this point so all you need to get is the main module and then maybe map packs, instead of before where you had to get files for each expansion ship.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'll just leave this here

Sigma Squadron Pilot
Fleet Officer

Sigma Squadron Pilot
Fleet Officer

Rexler Brath
heavy laser cannon

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Irom posted:

Sigma Squadron Pilot
Fleet Officer

Sigma Squadron Pilot
Fleet Officer

Rexler Brath
heavy laser cannon

I guess we can add that to the pile of examples of how bad Rexler Brath is?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

TheGate has PTSD from Rexler.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I've got my first local tournament on Friday. Gonna get me some alt-art cards :getin:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Irom posted:

Sigma Squadron Pilot
Fleet Officer

Sigma Squadron Pilot
Fleet Officer

Rexler Brath
heavy laser cannon

I don't care if it can possibly win, I just wanna fly it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Madurai posted:

This is why X-Wing players are more fun than other tabletop system players.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm into the sound effects.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I bought a HWK today just because I really liked Dark Forces as a kid.

Is this thing actually good for stuff that isn't being a Focus battery?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It's better (or at least, has more varied use cases) if you fly it with the Scum pilots.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm into the sound effects.

drat straight

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Since I'm returning from the proverbial stone age of X-Wing Minis (Wave 3), is there any list of 3-4 X-wings that I can run that are fun enough to actually play against modern builds?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

TheGate has PTSD from Rexler.

I want the guy to work. So, so badly. If the Defender had Boost (it was faster than the Interceptor, but has no boost?) or had fewer red turns (it was also super maneuverable, but has few greens and more red than any other Imp fighter?) or was several points less, it would be awesome. Instead, it's mediocre, but surprisingly durable. It's just not able to dogfight like an Interceptor, and at this point I see no reason to run a naked Rexler for 2 points more than a fully equipped Soontir. It has no system slot despite being the most advanced small craft in the Imperial Navy by miles, and it has terrible action economy because of that and the lack of green options. Oh, and no Evade action either because reasons.

grassy gnoll posted:

I bought a HWK today just because I really liked Dark Forces as a kid.

Is this thing actually good for stuff that isn't being a Focus battery?

Focus battery builds are generally an expensive trap in my experience. Roark and his Scum counterpart are great with just an ion turret and maybe a crew.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Madurai posted:

Flew it on vassal tonight, the first exchange of fire was disgusting.

DISGUSTING.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I'm very, very excited to see what the the Ion Engine upgrade in the TIE Punisher is, as hopefully it'll serve as a Defender fix. Based on one offhand comment Alex Davy made, I'm thinking it will.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Irom posted:

Flew it on vassal tonight, the first exchange of fire was disgusting.

DISGUSTING.

Tell me how vassal works please. I click on buttons and place the templates and stuff on the field? It's v tedious to move the ships from the start and end of templates.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Chill la Chill posted:

Tell me how vassal works please. I click on buttons and place the templates and stuff on the field? It's v tedious to move the ships from the start and end of templates.

If you right click the ship you should have a little menu labeled something about "Execute Maneuver" that will do that for you. Templates are for if you bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Strobe posted:

If you right click the ship you should have a little menu labeled something about "Execute Maneuver" that will do that for you. Templates are for if you bump.

Thank you. I'm guessing this is the same procedure for changing the ship bases? I chose different pilots but they all say 0000.But then I choose Han and that one's correct. I'll play around with it a little more.

• Locked thread