Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

angry armadillo posted:

A consultant who gets paid a considerable amount more than me has told us when we create our 2 way trust between domains we are not allowed to use conditional forwarders for DNS and suggested using the hosts file instead

I have made it abundantly clear if he makes this suggestion whilst in the same room as me I will physically throw him out the nearest window

Apparently this is for security reasons (admittedly I'm hearing this story 2nd hand) but he has history and I'd prefer to beg forgiveness than seek permission if this story is true

The way this is written sounds like "I'd prefer to beg forgiveness for throwing him out the window than seek permission to throw him out the window." That might be want you meant anyway :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The ERP software we use falls over if you have " marks in text fields and truncates the same fields at 255 characters. This makes it difficult to write change notes where I've replaced one long piece of text with another long piece of text on a drawing. :(

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

angry armadillo posted:

A consultant who gets paid a considerable amount more than me has told us when we create our 2 way trust between domains we are not allowed to use conditional forwarders for DNS and suggested using the hosts file instead

I have made it abundantly clear if he makes this suggestion whilst in the same room as me I will physically throw him out the nearest window

Apparently this is for security reasons (admittedly I'm hearing this story 2nd hand) but he has history and I'd prefer to beg forgiveness than seek permission if this story is true

I thought the hosts file wasn't even used anymore but I'm curious why is he incorrect?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

I thought the hosts file wasn't even used anymore but I'm curious why is he incorrect?

It's a management nightmare.

It's like opting to use a rock instead of a hammer to sink a nail.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

You have to type ever DNS/IP and if statically stored that even a security risk.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Erwin posted:

The way this is written sounds like "I'd prefer to beg forgiveness for throwing him out the window than seek permission to throw him out the window." That might be want you meant anyway :)

That's how I read it.

Please do the needful.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Here is some poo poo that is seriously pissing someone off. A guy with the last name Null

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Reminds me of this
https://xkcd.com/327/

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

An issue was escalated to me today. Client set up a new system for an on-premise install. They put the SharePoint installation on the same server as SQL. And only one vCPU. It took me 60 seconds just to Right+Click and create a new folder to put logs in, meanwhile the poor bastard who escalated it to me has been trying to configure this all week.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Spazz posted:

An issue was escalated to me today. Client set up a new system for an on-premise install. They put the SharePoint installation on the same server as SQL. And only one vCPU. It took me 60 seconds just to Right+Click and create a new folder to put logs in, meanwhile the poor bastard who escalated it to me has been trying to configure this all week.

What monsters. I am still (2.5 years) besting into my coworkers heads that we separate roles for a reason. No, that SQL server isn't going to be a file server and a print server at the same time. Datacenter licensing son.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Moey posted:

What monsters. I am still (2.5 years) besting into my coworkers heads that we separate roles for a reason. No, that SQL server isn't going to be a file server and a print server at the same time. Datacenter licensing son.

You could probably virtualize the print server at least.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Pissing me off yesterday; troublesome hardware and lack of gratitude for busting my rear end.

I spent pretty much the entirety of yesterday upgrading our Sales team AiO machines to use SSDs, and I only managed to get three done.

- First machine; old Dell Vostro AiO took about an hour to clone the HDD and then the boot manager was buggered, managed to fish out a matching OEM install disc to run windows startup repair to get it running
- Second machine; current spec HP Prodesk took 15 minutes to clone, and ran straight off the bat
- Third machine; another old Dell Vostro AiO, took over an hour to clone the HDD, boot manager was again buggered, OEM disc for some reason wouldn't work for startup repair and another hour of screwing around with Hiren's Boot CD lead to nowhere, finally realised I could just burn a recovery disc from my machine and run startup repair from that.

And of course after all that was done not a single thank you or positive comment, it's also really hard to focus on solving the problem when they're being assholes constantly trying to fish for banter from you. I will however admit to some newbie errors, I should've ordered some mounting brackets and a bag of tiny bolts as I ended up having to use double sided foam tape to secure the drives in the case, maybe could've done with more than one SATA > USB cable as well.

The guy I've sat next to ever since we've worked here left the business as well, so there was much after work alcohol consumption.

J
Jun 10, 2001

What software do you use to clone the drives? Our laptop fleet is getting up there in age and could really use SSDs.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Either image them with a standard tool recommended in the ssd megathread or if your environment has it set up use windows deployment services to push out a standard image to them.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Birb Katter posted:

Here is some poo poo that is seriously pissing someone off. A guy with the last name Null

So was his first name Dev?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

GargleBlaster posted:

So was his first name Dev?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

J posted:

What software do you use to clone the drives? Our laptop fleet is getting up there in age and could really use SSDs.

Since these are Samsung drives I just used the included migration software, we aren't set up properly for imaging and I haven't had the resources to do it.

The troublesome drives were Seagate 7200rpm, guessing they were either lovely or just old.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Super Slash posted:

Since these are Samsung drives I just used the included migration software, we aren't set up properly for imaging and I haven't had the resources to do it.

The troublesome drives were Seagate 7200rpm, guessing they were either lovely or just old.

It's probably the software. Multiple people have reported issues using it to clone to their SSD in the megathread. Try Macrium Reflect, that's the threads recommended software.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

evol262 posted:

Could be memory. But as strange as it sounds, try disabling checksumming on the NIC (ethtool -A eth0 rx off && ethtool -A eth0 tx off), which often resolves this, or at least lets you pin the problem down to a bad NIC

Also clear all the yum caches.

vCenter Server Appliance was completely borked and had to be rebuilt. The corruption just got worse until it wouldn't boot.
The problem was indeed the NIC, specifically one of the two connections between one of the VM hosts and the SAN. Power cycling sorted it, and corruption is no longer happening :iiam:
The Windows VM is semi borked (can't add features to it any more! Corrupted installation source - MS update readiness tool might rescue it) but a 'DBCC CHECKDB' suggests that the SQL databases are ok, which is the main thing.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
PIsses me off: Being guaranteed that you would be the person to get a spot, then not getting the spot. Don't loving set my expectations to fail.

Time to brush off the lovely resume and try for something else again. I actually regret turning that recruiter down now.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I just purchased Acronis True Image 2015 on sale for $25 on Newegg. Will this piss me off? Is it good backup software, or will I want to gouge my eyes out?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ynglaur posted:

I just purchased Acronis True Image 2015 on sale for $25 on Newegg. Will this piss me off? Is it good backup software, or will I want to gouge my eyes out?

You could have just downloaded veeam endpoint for free.

http://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I used the 2010 version for years on my last PC and it seemed to work pretty well. I'm actually looking for an imaging program for my new PC and haven't decided on one yet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gothmog1065 posted:

PIsses me off: Being guaranteed that you would be the person to get a spot, then not getting the spot. Don't loving set my expectations to fail.

Time to brush off the lovely resume and try for something else again. I actually regret turning that recruiter down now.

I have an anecdote along these lines. It's TL:DR, but It's interesting anyways.

I worked at my previous job for one year. I get my yearly review, all stellar. I travelled all over the country dealing with upset clients, saving accounts that wanted to drop us. The week before my review, I saved a particularly important client, and got some praise for it.

Fast forward one month. I get called into a meeting with my manager, and the newest guy on our team. The manager says that the two of us are the lowest reporting techs ticket wise. The manager tells us that the higher ups are concerned, and they are upset their highest paid and lowest paid guys are doing so badly. Right away the new guy (at his first tech job) flips out and gets super defensive. I was sort of mentoring him and training him, so it reflects badly on me.

I calmly ask the boss to see some ticket stats and the boss tells me "shut up, you can't bullshit your way out of this one." I mention that for the past two months, I've been traveling four out of the eight weeks, to one client, and I took three weeks off to have wrist surgery, so my numbers for the past few months are going to be lower. He calls me a liar, and tells me he sees me reading tech blogs all day and reading "hacker life sites". I try to explain that I'm doing a lot of bash scripting and working with FFMPEG for a new project, and usually I have a few articles and how-tos up on one monitor while I work in the other. He flips out, tells me he's tired of my poo poo, and that I'm basically fired, but he's been pulling for me for weeks because he knows I can do more. I tell him this is quite a shock, since I was giving a written review just three weeks ago, that said I was doing fantastic. He tells me that means nothing, and I already have one foot out the door.

I ask for some time to think about it and talk tomorrow. He tells me to go back to my desk and just try to work some tickets so I can get my numbers up and that maybe tomorrow he'll see.

So I go back to my desk, dejected. I was hired as a senior tech, so I really only deal with escalations and serious network/linux related problems. Most of our calls are from users that just need to be told to plug the device in, or whatever. We also rolled out an iPhone app that required every user to call in and get it licensed, which was weird, but each license request took about 30 seconds, but required a ticket per iPhone. So, a company could call in with ten iPhones, and in 5 minutes the guy that got the call would get ten tickets.

I have access to the ticketing system as an admin. I check the ticket database, and see that me and the the other guy have so few tickets, I can't speak for him, but my tickets are all multi-day long, serious network issue tickets. The other guys all have 30-40 tickets a day, "answer phone, client needed to know which jack to plug mic into", 30 tickets, "licensed thirty iPhones". I generated some reports, referencing everyones tickets, then the number of iPhone tickets, or tickets that were just "gave client info" tickets. The numbers then were clearly in my favor. I type my boss a really respectful email, apologizing for the situation and asking if we can sit down and make sure we define the expected goals he has for me, and make sure that I'm aligned with them. He doesn't respond.

The next day, we all come in, and he gets called into the directors office and is fired. They call me in next and offer me his job.

All good, right? Nope.

So they tell me they want me to have a three month training period, since I don't have any real management experience. Fair enough. They also tell me to start reviewing my teams projects and get it all organized, and start having everyone check in with me for project status. Fine. The manager used to make us fill out and email him this insane Excel sheet every week with project updates. It was impossible to use, full of typos, dropdown that didn't work, it was a mess. So I sign us up for Trello, import all the projects to it, and it's all good. The directors love it, and ask if I have any other ideas. I suggest we start using a shared OneNote notebook to share client data (like our main office asked us to do months ago). We sign up for it, and start collaborating, it's all good.

A few days later, a client calls in and asks for a guy I work with. He's out, so I send him an email asking him to call them back. He responds with an email, flipping out. "You are not my boss, who gave you the right to tell me what to do, you've been an rear end in a top hat since MANAGER was fired, this has to end." He copies everyone above is, like fifteen people. It's crazy. So I talk to the director about it, and he says "if you want to manage this team, you have to deal with things like this, so talk to him and work it out". Which makes no sense. Regardless, I sit down with the guy and ask him what's up. He restates that I'm not his boss, infact, he should be telling me what to do.

I stop him, "what do you mean? You should be telling me what to do?"

Turns out, the director told us both he wants us to take the manager job, but decided to sit back and see who did a better job, without telling either of us. Also he didn't really tell the team that the two of us were going to be taking over. It was crazy.

We go back into the director's office, and ask him. The other guy basically says "I'm going to beat him and take this manager job".

I respond "you can't be serious, you want us to compete? This is really unprofessional."

The director tells us to work it out on our own.

In the meantime, the team is suffering because no one is really in charge.

The director says he originally wanted to promote me, but since they "laid off" the previous manager instead of firing him, their lawyers claimed that if they filled his position so quick, it'd leave them open for a lawsuit. Therefore, they had to back off their plans, but decided not to tell me so they could see how I did as a manager (with out telling the people I was supposed to manage). In the meantime, I guess the other guy was someone offered the same thing, I have no idea. So for a few weeks, I was acting like their manager, with out their knowledge, and they hated me, they just assumed I stepped up since I'm a prick or whatever.

The next day, I get pulled into a meeting with the CEO. He apologizes to me for the nonsense, explains to me again that they don't want to get sued, so they need to back off plans to give me a promotion. He'd also like me to keep acting like their manager, but with no pay raise, or actual promotion. I tell him that's not really fair, if they want me to run this team, they need to give me the tools and incentives to make it happen. We've had two managers fired in six months, so why should I take this revolving door position?

He tells me what he expects from the manager of this team, he wants to see him when he comes in at 8am, and see him when he leaves at 7pm. This job needs to be his life, since the PSG department is the life of the company. I tell him I'm not interested in that, especially for no pay raise and to be in charge of a team that hates me.

I call my recruiter and get a new job, giving my notice with in the week.

Everyone is shocked I'm quitting.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Good thing you got out of there, it sounds like you were going to become the imminent vector of blame for that whole fiasco very shortly.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I call my recruiter and get a new job, giving my notice with in the week.

Everyone is shocked I'm quitting.

The happiest possible ending.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

How the company acted breaks so many 'this is how you run a business' rules, it's incredible. Congrats for getting out when you did.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

:gonk:

yeah, nah, gently caress that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ynglaur posted:

If you're going to spend money on a disk image tool, you could do worse than Acronis.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
How on earth did that director think that was going to play out.

"Surprise! You don't really have the job and that other guy thinks he has it too! Now fight for my amusement."

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Fil5000 posted:

"Surprise! You don't really have the job and that other guy thinks he has it too! Now fight for my amusement."

Watching any number of reality TV shows regarding jobs and saying "That sounds like a fantastic way to run my department", probably.

I hope that :yotj:ing out resulted in him crying into his beer that night about not being able to pull both of you into his office to point at one of you and yell "YOU'RE FIRED" after a dramatic pause.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Manslaughter posted:

Good thing you got out of there, it sounds like you were going to become the imminent vector of blame for that whole fiasco very shortly.

The best part is that right after they fired the manager, the recruiter we both used, called me and said "They just fired MANAGER, he called me and told me that you were next. Do you need me to line up some interviews?" I had just been offered his job, the recruiter said that was odd, and that he'd line up some for me anyways.

Fil5000 posted:

It was horrible. For a month, I had everyone reporting to me, and they had no idea why, and they were all chap-assed about it, with good reason.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mrit posted:

How the company acted breaks so many 'this is how you run a business' rules, it's incredible. Congrats for getting out when you did.

What they did is practically management 101 now

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

Which is why this thread goes 'gently caress all companies' on a regular basis.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Gothmog1065 posted:

Nothing is ever guaranteed until you get an offer letter, and filling positions with external candidates instead of internal promotions is normal. Never expect to "get the spot" unless you change companies.

go3 posted:

Mrit posted:

Which is why this thread goes 'gently caress all companies' on a regular basis.
This, though... no.

Managers having direct reports whose jobs they don't understand and complain about their metrics, no (company-wide metrics tracking gets pushback from good bosses).

Having Battle Royale "prove your skill" double-blind management-offs instead of appointing interim managers because they're afraid of legal repercussions (and clearly have the world's worst legal department) is "management 101"? Hell naw. You guys need to get a grip on reality.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I mean, on one hand, it sucks not being able to trust your company to have your back. On the other hand, it's nice not to have to give a poo poo about the company's success.

gently caress stock options.

Pissing me off: people who type in all caps. Motherfucker, I don't care how old you are, you aren't older than a typewriter, and you aren't so busy that you have an excuse for every single response being three words or less when I am asking questions to help you.

If I didn't know I'd get in trouble, it would be tempting to respond in similarly obtuse language to people like this.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 27, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You know what pisses me off daily? There's nowhere near my office that's good to go to for lunch.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You know what pisses me off daily? There's nowhere near my office that's good to go to for lunch.

I work in some podunk town. I could eat cracker barrel every day but I don't. My other options are subway, mcdonalds, taco bell :(

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Burger joint we used to go to for lunch near work closed down. No one is in the mood for burgers anymore because they were the only decent place within walking distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

evol262 posted:

Nothing is ever guaranteed until you get an offer letter, and filling positions with external candidates instead of internal promotions is normal. Never expect to "get the spot" unless you change companies.

This, though... no.

Managers having direct reports whose jobs they don't understand and complain about their metrics, no (company-wide metrics tracking gets pushback from good bosses).

Having Battle Royale "prove your skill" double-blind management-offs instead of appointing interim managers because they're afraid of legal repercussions (and clearly have the world's worst legal department) is "management 101"? Hell naw. You guys need to get a grip on reality.

The best part was that we used Microsoft Dynamics to do ticket tracking. The site was super slow, and it was never really setup well, so the ticket form had around 100 fields, and they were all completely baffling. They also didn't have a place to bill how long you took on the ticket, and the company only measured you by ticket numbers, no actually billed time or anything.

Migishu posted:

Burger joint we used to go to for lunch near work closed down. No one is in the mood for burgers anymore because they were the only decent place within walking distance.

This is probably the main reason I like working in NYC. I worked for a bit in an office park, with just a Burger King nearby, and it was awful.