Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
anyone got some good tuts / resources for getting into 3d modeling ? thanks. (note: NOT reading the OP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Well you should. We don't know anything about what package you want to use meaning you're probably really new and should read up on the basics.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What a weird post.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

If you haven't done anything and you're just curious, just download Blender and watch some beginner modeling tutorials. Blender has very good modeling tools so you won't be missing anything big by starting there.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

THE PENETRATOR posted:

anyone got some good tuts / resources for getting into 3d modeling ? thanks. (note: NOT reading the OP)

Some trolls just want to watch the bridge burn.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You're a fool if you learn anything other than Zaxwerks Invigorator.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

THE PENETRATOR posted:

http://www.blender.org/ (read the OP)

Though the OP needs to be updated at some point. We have people talking about how awesome it is to comp in shake in the first page.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 19, 2015

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I have both Maya and Max installed (student access) and I want to model an iron age hillfort with some simple buildings. My experience is in AutoCAD, Inventor, and Fusion360 (I actually really like Fusion but it seems to be babby's first modeller).

Really, I just want to recreate the stepped shape with the paths and plateaus to start with. Getting nice grass textures would be a bonus.

Which should I use for something like this? Which is easier to learn coming from an autocad background?

The reason for the hillfort is that I find having a little project motivates me when I'm learning something.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I would say max if you're from a cad background. But maya, modo, blender can all do the job just as good.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

You're a fool if you learn anything other than Zaxwerks Invigorator.

What about Freeform?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I have both Maya and Max installed (student access) and I want to model an iron age hillfort with some simple buildings. My experience is in AutoCAD, Inventor, and Fusion360 (I actually really like Fusion but it seems to be babby's first modeller).

Really, I just want to recreate the stepped shape with the paths and plateaus to start with. Getting nice grass textures would be a bonus.

Which should I use for something like this? Which is easier to learn coming from an autocad background?

The reason for the hillfort is that I find having a little project motivates me when I'm learning something.

Basically any 3d package with modelling tools will allow this. It's a simple structure. Edge loop for each plateau, closed at the top, with buildings as separate objects. I am unfamiliar with Inventory and Fusion360, but the modelling in a polygon-based environment will be very different from a vector-based environment like autocad. Be prepared for a learning curve. Watch a few tutorials in whichever program you decide (max, maya, modo, and blender will all be more than capable) and play around. Should pick up pretty fast.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I will say, I cannot recommend Digital Tutors enough for learning software packages you're not already familiar with. I've had to learn a few new packages for a project I'm working on and they have been fantastic.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Odddzy posted:

I would say max if you're from a cad background. But maya, modo, blender can all do the job just as good.
Yeah, having looked at the feature lists and what people have created with them, it seems like the barrier is user skill rather than limitations of the different packages.

Taffer posted:

Basically any 3d package with modelling tools will allow this. It's a simple structure. Edge loop for each plateau, closed at the top, with buildings as separate objects. I am unfamiliar with Inventory and Fusion360, but the modelling in a polygon-based environment will be very different from a vector-based environment like autocad. Be prepared for a learning curve. Watch a few tutorials in whichever program you decide (max, maya, modo, and blender will all be more than capable) and play around. Should pick up pretty fast.
Inventor and Fusion 360 are focused towards mechanical engineering and product design - components, tolerances, moving parts like hinges etc. They can both model solids but the focus is more on how things fit together than how they look.

Pathos posted:

I will say, I cannot recommend Digital Tutors enough for learning software packages you're not already familiar with. I've had to learn a few new packages for a project I'm working on and they have been fantastic.
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Going to go for Max and I expect I'll be making GBS threads this thread up with some bad models soon.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pathos posted:

I use DT a lot and I like them, but they don't update nearly often as I'd want and the quality of instructors can vary wildly... but there's still some good stuff on there.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Chas McGill posted:

Going to go for Max and I expect I'll be making GBS threads this thread up with some bad models soon.

Once you're familiar with your buttons in max, do the head tutorial here - http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/head1.php
It's one of the best tutorials around for modeling landscapes & sites - but just the head. It teaches how to define features and bridge them which is essential for doing large scale sites. other parts aren't as useful.

Also watch this - https://vimeo.com/10941211
The second isnt hugely beginner friendly, but covers some really great practices. dont worry if you get stuck on them, do something easier and come back after a few weeks - it's just these 2 have the most useful information packed into for stepping out of a basic level.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

cubicle gangster posted:

Once you're familiar with your buttons in max, do the head tutorial here - http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/head1.php
It's one of the best tutorials around for modeling landscapes & sites - but just the head. It teaches how to define features and bridge them which is essential for doing large scale sites. other parts aren't as useful.

The second isnt hugely beginner friendly, but covers some really great practices. dont worry if you get stuck on them, do something easier and come back after a few weeks - it's just these 2 have the most useful information packed into for stepping out of a basic level.

Holy poo poo the Joan of ark tutorial. Did I go back in time to 2001? :psyduck:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Yeah - I was kind of wondering in regards to that character tutorial.

There has GOT to be a more modern tutorial for creating effective character topology. Right? Right?? :-/

(One that isn't a video, please.)

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 21, 2015

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
There's definitely not a better one for landscapes.
it's still the best intro to 'shift drag edges, keep it simple, do the important areas first, bridge & refine later.'

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

sigma 6 posted:

(One that isn't a video, please.)
Yeah, I much prefer being able to look at text and pictures and go at my own pace.

Putting Max stuff on hold for now because I have to design a kids sustainability-themed activity centre for my product design module and I don't think I'll make the deadline if I'm learning new software at the same time.

cubicle gangster posted:

Will definitely check these out.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 21, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo there's a free new complete 3d package on steam.

Blender lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If it gets a bunch of people to try out 3D modeling who never would have even thought about it in the first place I am 140% for it

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Blender's pretty capable nowadays isn't it? I think the biggest strike against it at this point is that it's simply not going to be seen in production environments. Obviously all the basic skills are easily transferable and I think Blender can still be very appealing to freelancers and hobbyists, but given how easy it is to get a student license of any Autodesk package and also the Houdini Apprentice version, you may as well learn on one of those if you're looking to work at a studio at some point.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The more people that use Blender, the better it will become, and more commonly accepted..

I think Blender somehow needs a fundamental newbie switch. I've managed to turn off the menu before and couldn't even work out how to load a new file. Since Blender files load up the configuration saved with it, when I've downloaded someone elses .blend, when I run it the UI has changed significantly and if that person has gotten rid of say the menu, and I don't know the key combo to bring it back, and if I have save session on exit and start with previous session, shutting it down and resrating doesn't fix it.

A simple - reset UI button, which resets it to a basic layout, would be amazing. Also making the settings global and not per-file would save a bit or heartache. It means if I want a change in have to do it from a brand new file, make the change, save it and update the default start program.

This is primarily my main gripe.. The absolute flexibility to change the UI in virtually any way and attach it to the .blend file is a pro-move, but not that suitable for non-pros

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blender's UI has a learning cliff, but it's a really powerful application that is getting to the point where it rivals industry standards in some areas. I use it frequently for my own work, for its modeling and UV tools.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I actually use Blender a lot at work for quickly modelling up stuff and laying out UVs. The 'lol' was because it's always free. :v:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to see a permanent menu bar at the top. File menu, ability to reset UI. Something that is never not available when you gently caress it. I can definitely see Blender getting impossible to use if you gently caress up the UI by accident somehow

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

echinopsis posted:

I'd like to see a permanent menu bar at the top. File menu, ability to reset UI. Something that is never not available when you gently caress it. I can definitely see Blender getting impossible to use if you gently caress up the UI by accident somehow

The file bar is always there, I don't think I've ever downloaded a single blender file that had the UI arranged in such a way that it wasn't. Also you can never break the UI. You can always change the window type to anything.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

The file bar is always there, I don't think I've ever downloaded a single blender file that had the UI arranged in such a way that it wasn't. Also you can never break the UI. You can always change the window type to anything.

No the file bar is like any UI element and can be changed to something else. My point is that for people who don't know the program well, they might not know they have to change it to "info" to get the file bar back.

You can never permanently break the UI, but unless you know what you're doing it can effectively be so

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Made a dolphin as a prop for a level I'm making in UE4.

Low poly is around 5200 tri. Here it is with normal map:

Wires:

& just for fun

Used ZBrush and Maya.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Been studying up on facial anatomy in Zbrush. Any way I can animate this so the circular masks expand outwards in Photoshop, or is that something only Aftereffects can do easily?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Off the top of my head, maybe with a depth pass as a mask for each layer with levels or thresholds on each one, with each group on a radial mask? But yeah this would be uh... nightmarish in Photoshop. Use the right tools for animating.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

snucks posted:

Been studying up on facial anatomy in Zbrush. Any way I can animate this so the circular masks expand outwards in Photoshop, or is that something only Aftereffects can do easily?

You could do it in Photoshop but it would be laborious. An animated circle mask revealing the skin/muscle/bone passes can be accomplished in After Effects very quickly.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Agreed, animated masks in After Effects is ridonkulously easy and you have many more output options than Photoshop.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Taffer posted:

I found one of my more common mistakes with Blender was being in the wrong rendering engine. Different rendering engine have slightly different options in the UI. Also the first time I lost my outline editor, I was very sad. Blender has the neckbeardiest interface I've seen, but I love it.

Also:

drat it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hate Fibration posted:

I found one of my more common mistakes with Blender was being in the wrong rendering engine. Different rendering engine have slightly different options in the UI. Also the first time I lost my outline editor, I was very sad. Blender has the neckbeardiest interface I've seen, but I love it.

Also:

drat it.

Oh, yeah. If you use Blender, absolutely 100% of the time turn the engine to cycles. It's a thousand times better, uses proper node setups for materials and textures and lighting, and doesn't look like garbage (Blender Internal is Bad).

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Taffer posted:

Oh, yeah. If you use Blender, absolutely 100% of the time turn the engine to cycles. It's a thousand times better, uses proper node setups for materials and textures and lighting, and doesn't look like garbage (Blender Internal is Bad).
Unless you're doing motion graphics / 2D after effects kind of stuff. The cycles engine is much slower to render (flat 2D-ish stuff), and it's overkill (not worth the wait) when you're not shooting for animated realism.

I should point out that the entire previous statement is made in almost complete ignorance of cycles because goddamn they are slow to render.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I actually just did a small animation project just like you're describing, I used emission for all the materials (no shading). It'll be noise and artifact free with just 3 or 4 samples, which at 1080 on a not-poo poo computer renders at just a few seconds per frame.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Taffer posted:

I actually just did a small animation project just like you're describing, I used emission for all the materials (no shading). It'll be noise and artifact free with just 3 or 4 samples, which at 1080 on a not-poo poo computer renders at just a few seconds per frame.
Meh. Tomato. Potato.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I use LuxRender with Blender.. Although 99% of the time I'm using it for Unreal Engine so all that poo poo doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

As a hobbyist without access to student licensing, I think Blender is great. The learning curve is steep, but it seems I can do most of the things I read about in max/maya tutotials just as easy. A lot of things are a bit wonky, and I wish they would not insist on using one of the mouse buttons for placing that stupid 3D cursor, but otherwise it seems to be able to do what I want pretty easily.