Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
If it's an internal transfer I can't imagine you're the first person to run into this. I'm sure they have some sort of standard template really vague but good enough for landlords letter to hand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

banana allergy posted:

I literally do not have access to my own information when I log in as an employee. I can request a letter for a visa but that's about it.

I'm going to keep asking around the management team at work if there's anything that can be written up or fudged so I don't have to deal with this steaming pile of bullshit. I just re-read my HR info and it says that InVerify requests often take up to a week. I'm just going to figure something else out because I'll never have a week to wait.

Hopefully I'll just get lucky and find a landlord who is satisfied with the other 600 pages of info I have proving that I am a person with a job that makes money.

Oh, I assumed you were just starting this job. Yeah, just show them a bank statement.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

banana allergy posted:

Is there anything else I can do? It seems landlords would have to pay to get my information through InVerify, so I assume they'd rather just go with another applicant whose job will happily confirm these things over the phone.
A pay stub? I don't think I've ever had a landlord contact my employer. They take the contact information, a copy of my pay stub, and its always ended there.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Our prospective landlord wants pay stubs to confirm our income. It's 2015 and we're both paid electronically. What's a viable substitute?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Need some advice.

My landlord had me move out for a week a few months back so that he could gut my bathroom. He prorated my rent for the week I was gone, but I wasn't happy with the work (the shower doesn't have a door and he didn't finish painting one of the walls). I let him know that, and after telling me he'd get me a door and paint my bathroom, he hasn't been responsive in a few months.

My lease is up in a week. I texted him on the first of this month suggesting we get together and discuss a new lease, but he never responded.

If the first of the month comes and he still hasn't responded, what do I do? Leave him a check for a month's worth of rent at the current rate? Leave him nothing?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Golbez posted:

Our prospective landlord wants pay stubs to confirm our income. It's 2015 and we're both paid electronically. What's a viable substitute?

Can't you get that through some online portal through your employer? Otherwise a W2 maybe? Or a printout of you bank account with all the regular deposits?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

EugeneJ posted:

My lease is up in a week. I texted him on the first of this month suggesting we get together and discuss a new lease, but he never responded.

If the first of the month comes and he still hasn't responded, what do I do? Leave him a check for a month's worth of rent at the current rate? Leave him nothing?

The original lease you signed should have something in it about what happens when the lease runs out. Most leases generally become month-to-month afterwards, but you need to check yours and make sure it doesn't stipulate that you move out.

Edit: I have a question, too. I recently discovered a bed bug in my apartment. I caught it, and sent an email to my landlord informing him of the presence of bed bugs and asking him to hire an exterminator immediately. He sent the building supervisor by, who confirmed that it was, indeed, a bed bug. Two days later, he dropped off a tiny fogger, and said "Go nuts."

1: This isn't going to work, right? I mean, foggers are poo poo in general, This one's active agent is Tetramethrin which doesn't work on bedbugs anyway, and I'm fairly certain the bugs came from my downstairs neighbor who moved out two weeks ago so even if I kill them in my bedroom they're just going to keep coming back. I don't think I'm incorrect in saying this is woefully inadequate.

2: Legally, he has to fix the issue, right? I live in Texas, and have found conflicting information about the legality of it. Checking over the lease it looks like he put in language that states I'm responsible for paying for an exterminator if there's a bedbug infestation, will that hold up in court? Also, how can I prove that the bedbugs are coming from the downstairs apartment, and not mine?

3: If he jerks me around on this, at what point can I void my lease and move out/stop paying him? My next rent payment is due in 8 days, I've already sent him a certified letter attesting to the presence of bedbugs, confirmed by the building manager. When can I drop the "gently caress this" bomb and bail on this place without being screwed by the landlord?

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 23, 2015

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Golbez posted:

I've gotten direct deposit from multiple jobs and either A) I got a physical pay stub from payroll on/around payday or B) I had access to an internal website print out copies of stubs.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Golbez posted:

You could just go ask HR for copy of your paystubs. It's not a check, it's just a record of what you got paid, and all the usual deductions. They might jerk you around a bit, but considering that HR pretty much deals with paperwork for a living, someone asking for printed copies of their last two paystubs is fairly trivial.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 23, 2015

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Golbez posted:

Print out your paystubs! Maybe ask if you can email a screenshot of them or something.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

The original lease you signed should have something in it about what happens when the lease runs out. Most leases generally become month-to-month afterwards, but you need to check yours and make sure it doesn't stipulate that you move out.

Edit: I have a question, too. I recently discovered a bed bug in my apartment. I caught it, and sent an email to my landlord informing him of the presence of bed bugs and asking him to hire an exterminator immediately. He sent the building supervisor by, who confirmed that it was, indeed, a bed bug. Two days later, he dropped off a tiny fogger, and said "Go nuts."

1: This isn't going to work, right? I mean, foggers are poo poo in general, This one's active agent is Tetramethrin which doesn't work on bedbugs anyway, and I'm fairly certain the bugs came from my downstairs neighbor who moved out two weeks ago so even if I kill them in my bedroom they're just going to keep coming back. I don't think I'm incorrect in saying this is woefully inadequate.

2: Legally, he has to fix the issue, right? I live in Texas, and have found conflicting information about the legality of it. Checking over the lease it looks like he put in language that states I'm responsible for paying for an exterminator if there's a bedbug infestation, will that hold up in court? Also, how can I prove that the bedbugs are coming from the downstairs apartment, and not mine?

3: If he jerks me around on this, at what point can I void my lease and move out/stop paying him? My next rent payment is due in 8 days, I've already sent him a certified letter attesting to the presence of bedbugs, confirmed by the building manager. When can I drop the "gently caress this" bomb and bail on this place without being screwed by the landlord?

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure it would depend on exactly what was in your lease agreement. Standard boilerplate in TX leases is that the landlord is in charge of getting rid of pests like bedbugs, but it might be different depending on your lease agreement. Any lawyer that advertises on a bus bench could probably handle this case.

You could threaten to take the landlord to court, or you could threaten to spend your weekends holding up signs saying that the apartment complex is infested with bed bugs.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Sorry if this is the wrong place but I couldn't find any other gardening thread. I have recently moved into a house with a very neglected yard. There's a Crepe Myrtle that looks like it's never been pruned or trimmed and 3 azalea bushes at the front. I have a picture that I drew on a bit to make the problem easier to see.

I outlined the 3 bushes and you can see that the middle white one has completely grown over the red on the end. The larger arrows are to show where the base (Trunk?) of the plant is and in what direction most branches are growing.

Can I just chop off the side of the white one to give the red more space? I'm worried about killing these old (and still very beautiful) bushes.

Also as you can see in this second photo (crepe myrtle for reference) The bushes are almost hollow. With all the leaf and flower growth on the very exterior branches and the inside is a mangle full of spindly branches.

I'm a total beginner but I'm not afraid to crawl under there and get dirty to help rejuvenate these plants.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can prune them (next spring before they start growing) if you want, but they look fine, it's not a big deal to let them overlap a little. They actually burn if they get too much sun. If anything, your concern would be them blocking the window.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Well I'm not as worried about whether the first red and middle white are healthy, they are clearly thriving. But the red on the end is so small and spindly and I'd like it to be larger and be even with the others. I'd just like to cut the middle one back by almost half and wanted to make sure that wasn't going to kill it. I'd like the one on the right to look as big as the one on the left. I know it's not an instant result but I'd like to start taking steps towards that goal.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Whoaaa I didn't even see that little guy. I thought your three bushes were red, white, white.

To be on the safe side, you can prune the white one in two sessions instead of all at once. Just be prepared for it not to bloom then. Googling "prune azalea" or "drastic prune azalea" will get you tons of details.

The bigger issue, though, is figuring out why, if they were all planted at the same time/size, the little one didn't grow like its buddies. If that gutter lets out right into its roots, it won't be happy with that much water. Is the pH different there? Is that side of your house windy? There's tons of info online (many gardeners are huge spergs), or you can show up at a garden center and they'll be happy to help.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Buggiezor posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place but I couldn't find any other gardening thread. I have recently moved into a house with a very neglected yard. There's a Crepe Myrtle that looks like it's never been pruned or trimmed and 3 azalea bushes at the front. I have a picture that I drew on a bit to make the problem easier to see.

There's a Veggie & Herb Gardening thread in DIY. They might be able to help you. :)

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Thanks for the responses guys! I'll go check out that other thread and do some more googling. I'm not really sure why the little guy didn't grow. The sun comes from his direction in the afternoons so I guess the white one grew towards the sun and just grew up over top of him causing him to have to grow out to the side to compensate.

I've read that you should cut azaleas in thirds so it does look like it will take a couple sessions over a couple springs to cut it back like I'd like. Hopefully once I get the white into a more reasonable shape the red will spring up to fill in the gap.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Waffling if I should buy a bed/mattress or not. On one hand I dislike sleeping on the floor but beds are expensive and a challenge to move. Perhaps a Japanese futon?

I already decided to buy a desk and chair. The floors are hardwood so it'd be a pain. Yet the cheapest costco matress is $399.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I have a handful of nice paintings in my apartment. They're not worth a huge amount of money, but are more than a couple of thousand dollars. Is it worth it to get it insured or is that kind of thing more for large, really expensive collections?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Xandu posted:

I have a handful of nice paintings in my apartment. They're not worth a huge amount of money, but are more than a couple of thousand dollars. Is it worth it to get it insured or is that kind of thing more for large, really expensive collections?

"More than a couple thousand dollars" sounds like it would be worth calling the company for your existing renter's policy and seeing if they would be covered, and at least pricing out a separate rider if they're not. It's often pretty cheap - I used to have a $5000 "collectibles" rider for $25/year or something like that.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Alder posted:

Waffling if I should buy a bed/mattress or not. On one hand I dislike sleeping on the floor but beds are expensive and a challenge to move. Perhaps a Japanese futon?

I already decided to buy a desk and chair. The floors are hardwood so it'd be a pain. Yet the cheapest costco matress is $399.

:suspense: Yes. Stop sleeping on a hard wood floor and get a bed.

You have neither a bed, chair, or table? I mean, I get that someone may find themselves in a situation without these things. But to have the money but be unsure whether or not to buy these things is interesting.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
If you have no money, buy an air mattress until you can afford the real thing. You can get them for like 30-40 bucks.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Also, you don't need to spend $500+ on a mattress like some people do. I've been very happy with my $200 ikea one for 4 years now.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Xandu posted:

I don't know; spend a bit of time playing with the numbers and decide if it's worth it to you, but usually riders for things like that are a bad deal.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Alder posted:

Mattresses are expensive, but last long enough that the cost isn't that bad over time. You don't need a fancy frame with a huge headboard and all that(which makes the bed more expensive and a lot more annoying to move - in my experience, moving the mattress itself isn't that bad). You should be able to get a basic, purely functional frame thrown in for free(or close to it) when you buy the mattress.

If you're still not convinced, you could get a couch. Or an air mattress. Either one would be cheaper than a bed, easier to move, and better than sleeping on the floor. If you go the couch route, get a normal couch, not one with a hide-a-bed. Hide-a-beds are heavy as gently caress and the bed part isn't all that comfortable.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Xandu posted:

Insurance is a crock. Avoid it when possible. For $5k worth of paintings, just put the $100/year you'd pay to insurance into savings.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

If you're still not convinced, you could get a couch. Or an air mattress.

Or both.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

photomikey posted:

Insurance is a crock. Avoid it when possible. For $5k worth of paintings, just put the $100/year you'd pay to insurance into savings.

I mean, insurance makes sense when the loss would really be devastating (which is why you have it for things like "my house burned down" or "I accidentally killed someone while driving"), but, yeah, paintings worth a couple thousand dollars are not in that category.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

:suspense: Yes. Stop sleeping on a hard wood floor and get a bed.

You have neither a bed, chair, or table? I mean, I get that someone may find themselves in a situation without these things. But to have the money but be unsure whether or not to buy these things is interesting.

Uhh stuff happened and I was homeless for a few weeks. Right, now I have $300 in my savings so something has to give in the meantime. I'm in NYC but no car means I can't go and pick up items off CL.

Currently, I have 1x cardboard box (contains all my worldly belongings), 1x small suitcase (clothes), PC (all my data/ college work), phone, and tablet.

How about a Tuft&Needle twin mattress? I considered a desk because then I could use my PC to apply for food stamps. Also, it's easier to buy/assemble having to pay movers. I probably can borrow a chair from relatives if I'm lucky.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's New York, everyone buys stuff from craigslist but nobody has a car. Obviously you don't want to buy a mattress from craigslist, but chairs and tables are usually fine. You can take a chair on the subway and get a cab for a desk.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alder posted:

Uhh stuff happened and I was homeless for a few weeks. Right, now I have $300 in my savings so something has to give in the meantime. I'm in NYC but no car means I can't go and pick up items off CL.

Currently, I have 1x cardboard box (contains all my worldly belongings), 1x small suitcase (clothes), PC (all my data/ college work), phone, and tablet.

How about a Tuft&Needle twin mattress? I considered a desk because then I could use my PC to apply for food stamps. Also, it's easier to buy/assemble having to pay movers. I probably can borrow a chair from relatives if I'm lucky.

drat dude.

If, nothing else, you should at least get an inflatable mattress. Easily portable and more comfortable on the floor. I'd probably recommend that over a stranger's mattress off of CL anyway, what with bed bugs and all.

As far as an actual mattress goes, I would assume you can just get a bare bones frame for a twin and slap the mattress on top. Takes 10 minutes to put together, comes apart easily in case you have to move. I got a frame for my bed because my apartment's tiny and I'm trying to waste as little space as possible.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I've never had to pay for a mattress frame, I've always managed to get them to throw in a cheapo basic one for free when I buy mattresses.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
For a simple frame+boxspring replacement, we just got one of these and it's been really awesome and sturdy. They stand a little over a foot off the ground so you can store stuff under it too.

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Master-Platform-Mattress-Foundation/dp/B006MIUM20/

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Renegret posted:

drat dude.

If, nothing else, you should at least get an inflatable mattress. Easily portable and more comfortable on the floor. I'd probably recommend that over a stranger's mattress off of CL anyway, what with bed bugs and all.

As far as an actual mattress goes, I would assume you can just get a bare bones frame for a twin and slap the mattress on top. Takes 10 minutes to put together, comes apart easily in case you have to move. I got a frame for my bed because my apartment's tiny and I'm trying to waste as little space as possible.

Hmmm I've seen the basic bed frame but I was worried if it's heavy or not. Almost forgot air mattresses will look around for that too.

Fwiw, I've always stayed in dorms so I've never really considered furnishings until now. I have space but I'm mostly concerned with how to get things from one place to another w/o too many expenses.

Would you say drawers are more useful vs closets? The room has two closets. I could store clothes in my suitcase/floor but it might get wrinkly. I thought about carrying a chair/desk to Queens on the subway but not sure how I'd be received.

I guess I could order via NJ Ikea too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alder posted:

Hmmm I've seen the basic bed frame but I was worried if it's heavy or not. Almost forgot air mattresses will look around for that too.

Fwiw, I've always stayed in dorms so I've never really considered furnishings until now. I have space but I'm mostly concerned with how to get things from one place to another w/o too many expenses.

Would you say drawers are more useful vs closets? The room has two closets. I could store clothes in my suitcase/floor but it might get wrinkly. I thought about carrying a chair/desk to Queens on the subway but not sure how I'd be received.

Remember that lots of discount furniture (Ikea, Big Lots, K-Mart) will give you the furniture not assembled and boxed up. Depending on the size of the thing, it might be a bit of a work out but you should be able to haul it on a bus or train. Just go during an off time of the day so the bus isn't crowded and you'll be fine. Another advantage of this is that if you dumped a lousy $200 on a desk or whatever to the curb when you move out, you'll feel less bad about it than a $1500 desk from Raymour and Flanigan. It won't last as long, but will be good enough for your needs. As far as bed frames go, they're hilariously light. Just a bit on the bulky side because of their length. I've never bought a cheap bed before though, I'm almost ashamed at how expensive my bed was (but it was totally worth it).

I once carried an easel that easily weighed over 100 pounds and was 5 feet tall on two trains and a bus for an ex from Manhattan to Jackson Heights without any problems (other than complete exhaustion). You'll have no problems carrying boxed up, unassembled furniture. Hopefully you can recruit a friend or two to help you with larger items or something that comes in multiple boxes, but I know that's easier said than done.

What part of Queens do you live?

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 26, 2015

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Alder posted:

Basic bed frames are light, and they should disassemble enough that they're not too awkward to move.

Does either closet have a rod to put clothes hangers on? Those are easy to move(shove 'em all in a box or bag, done), cheap(possibly free if you find some on craigslist/freecycle/etc), and keep things relatively wrinkle-free. I've never been a fan of dressers for shirts, but I'd say they're handier for everything else.

The problem with moving an already-assembled dresser is that they're awkward to move with the drawers in, but taking the drawers out turns the move into multiple trips. Depending on how many clothes you care about keeping wrinkle-free, I'd probably just go the hanger route & not worry about getting a dresser until everything settles down.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Haifisch posted:

I'd probably just go the hanger route & not worry about getting a dresser until everything settles down.

And that

My previous post was a stupid mindless stream of consciousness post without any focus. If I had $300 to my name and an empty apartment, I'd buy a card table and a single foldable chair from any old department store for the computer / eating on, and use the hangers that are already there for clothes. Then a $40 air mattress and a $20 bike pump to sleep on. I have a friend who's lived like that for the past two years but...I won't start on him.

Let things settle down a bit and build up an emergency fund before buying more stuff.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Renegret posted:

What part of Queens do you live?

Not really sure but it's by Kissina Blvd with all the apt buildings. My knowledge is limited to Main St and maybe by the the subway.

Any recommendations for air mattresses? They all tend to deflate by morning and do I leave them or told them away? I could lean it on a wall though.

Yes, the closet has a bar but I lack clothes hangars but that can remedied by the $1 store. Yeah, drawers might be too much as I don't have that many outfits.

Tables should be at least sturdy and not wobble on me. Right now trying to est a base so I can receive mail and address for job apps. Rent is somewhat high imho ($750) but I have 2 months to figure that out.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Anyone have any thoughts about vacuum cleaners? I regularly cut my own hair so it'd be nice to have one that didn't just blow hair aroudn when I tried to vacuum it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Anyone have any thoughts about vacuum cleaners? I regularly cut my own hair so it'd be nice to have one that didn't just blow hair aroudn when I tried to vacuum it too.

If you live at a apt building the super will have a reliable vacuum that you may be able to borrow. Most of the time they will be fairly costly and not really space efficient.