Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
rear end in a top hat Geralt did the quest for the troll, got the reward and went back and killed the troll anyway and got that reward too. The damned log didn't acknowledge the double dipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The first question from this shadowy interrogator should obviously be "did you murder any trolls", and your answer changes the whole tenor of the rest of the conversation (he kills you if you answer yes).

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Lareine posted:

rear end in a top hat Geralt did the quest for the troll, got the reward and went back and killed the troll anyway and got that reward too. The damned log didn't acknowledge the double dipping.
You are one of histories greatest monsters.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Humies truly are the real monsters.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Lycus posted:

I liked sparing Stennis, because I really liked the scene with Geralt sneaking into Henselt's tent to get a sample of his blood.

This might be my favorite scene out of both games so far. I'd link it but all of the videos I've found have people loudly commenting over it after repeatedly failing to sneak into the tent.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I better be able to choose to not murder the troll during the decision selection part of Witcher 3.

I hope they give you a choice but it's only between "Murdered all of them" and "Only murdered some of them."

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm starting my second playthrough and decided to try out Hard. I found the combat in normal fairly easy and so I didn't need to put much thought in min/maxing my build. How about the higher difficultly levels? Anything in particular I should be aware of? I REALLY don't want to sperg out on builds as I did that on my first playthrough and giving in to my OCD almost ruined the experience for me. I have a vague thought in mind to just dabble in most of the trees but focus more on magic as I've not put more than 3 or 4 points in that tree before.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm starting my second playthrough and decided to try out Hard. I found the combat in normal fairly easy and so I didn't need to put much thought in min/maxing my build. How about the higher difficultly levels? Anything in particular I should be aware of? I REALLY don't want to sperg out on builds as I did that on my first playthrough and giving in to my OCD almost ruined the experience for me. I have a vague thought in mind to just dabble in most of the trees but focus more on magic as I've not put more than 3 or 4 points in that tree before.

Don't invest in any other tree until you got all the stuff in the Mage tree you want. It's hard enough to get a sign build to do enough damage, don't dilute it on top of that.
Combat doesn't really change on higher difficulties, if you can roll away from enemies on normal, you can do it on hard.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
That being said, the low-level sword skills are ridiculously worth it. Reducing backstab damage, better rolls, and riposte (can wait until Ch 2 for that) are all worth points even for a mage build.

I'd definitely give the alchemy tree a look as well. Buffed Petri's Philtre is massive boost to your damage output.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 26, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Have the deves made any comment on changes to the alchemy tree? I felt like the alchemy tree was just an adjunct tree in the other two games. I tried using it as my main tree, and it was just sort of disappointing. More specifically I love traps/bombs, and I think there were a grand total of 1 skill that had to do with them. The open environment of the 3rd seems perfect for traps. I really hope that there will be at least a handful of skills dedicated to traps/bombs in this one.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Megasabin posted:

Have the deves made any comment on changes to the alchemy tree? I felt like the alchemy tree was just an adjunct tree in the other two games. I tried using it as my main tree, and it was just sort of disappointing. More specifically I love traps/bombs, and I think there were a grand total of 1 skill that had to do with them. The open environment of the 3rd seems perfect for traps. I really hope that there will be at least a handful of skills dedicated to traps/bombs in this one.

I main-ed alchemy in the last game and had no real complaints. As long as you're keeping yourself amped up with potions, you become basically godlike. It seems to have a slower start than the others though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Alchemy gives you high stats, but that got boring for me. I have more fun with signs.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Four new interviews with W3 devs, slight spoilers:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-the-witcher-3-made-characters-look-unique-with/1100-6426894/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-dev-explains-how-to-turn-a-nation-of-pir/1100-6426895/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-the-side-quests-in-the-witcher-3-can-change-th/1100-6426897/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-is-an-open-world-with-no-loading-tim/1100-6426896/

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

my boss

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just downloaded the bonus content you get with a preorder from GOG.com and the one of the bonus tracks in the soundtrack 'Hunt or Be Hunted' is loving awesome. The music in this game is going to be so good.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

I remeber reading interviews with him in the 90s when everybody thought he was crazy trying to sell original games in a country where piracy was rampant and very few people could afford CD drives. And then few years later they struck the Diablo deal, localised it and sold it with lots of extras. I honestly thought making a Witcher game will bankrupt them, if not the first one then the sequel would do them in.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I seem to recall a "quick loot" mode for The Witcher 2 (so you don't have to wait 15 seconds until items dropped int combat can be picked up) but I can't find it at the moment. The OP for the previous thread doesn't have it either. Help?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Xander77 posted:

I seem to recall a "quick loot" mode for The Witcher 2 (so you don't have to wait 15 seconds until items dropped int combat can be picked up) but I can't find it at the moment. The OP for the previous thread doesn't have it either. Help?

Are you thinking of STALKER?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

NaDy posted:

Just downloaded the bonus content you get with a preorder from GOG.com and the one of the bonus tracks in the soundtrack 'Hunt or Be Hunted' is loving awesome. The music in this game is going to be so good.

Speaking of bonus content, the Reasons of State comic is pretty good, I recommend checking it out if you preordered (though I could have sworn that it was bonus content for Witcher 2).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Has there been any word on when GoG is supposed to get their new client? I was thinking it would probably release with Witcher 3 but I don't think I've actually seen anything about it at all.

Akul
Aug 29, 2012

Xander77 posted:

This mod has such a feature for items which weigh 0, from the minimal version up. The same version also reduces junk, ingredient and recipe weights to zero so for example killing monsters would give you all drops except trophies and mutagens. Just started a playthrough with it and a few others, seems to be working fine.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/696/

Akul fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 26, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Has there been any word on when GoG is supposed to get their new client? I was thinking it would probably release with Witcher 3 but I don't think I've actually seen anything about it at all.

It's been in beta testing for a while, and this may or may not shock you, but it's a bit (quite) shite.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

any word on how witcher 3 camera and lock on system work? I'm hoping they didn't just keep it the same, its pretty clunky in 2 imo.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

any word on how witcher 3 camera and lock on system work? I'm hoping they didn't just keep it the same, its pretty clunky in 2 imo.

What was your problem with it? I never had a problem aiming at the thing I wanted to attack.
I didn't use lock-on either though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GrossMurpel posted:

What was your problem with it? I never had a problem aiming at the thing I wanted to attack.
I didn't use lock-on either though.

the camera tends to swing around away from the enemies when you roll dodge away from them.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-apologizes-for-confusion-over-1080p-60fp/1100-6426814/

:laffo:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Is it running at slower frame rate on the Xbone than the PS4?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Is it running at slower frame rate on the Xbone than the PS4?

Nah, 900p/30fps on Xbone, 1080p/30fps on PS4.

Orv posted:

It's been in beta testing for a while, and this may or may not shock you, but it's a bit (quite) shite.

Doesn't surprise me. I do hope they get it sorted out at some point, the one thing I really hate about using GoG is trying to keep track of patches. Made doubly hard because their filenames never match up with the actual patch versions.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Doesn't surprise me. I do hope they get it sorted out at some point, the one thing I really hate about using GoG is trying to keep track of patches. Made doubly hard because their filenames never match up with the actual patch versions.

If they can do THIS more than any lovely friend list or whatever, I would happily get it and use it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Nah, 900p/30fps on Xbone, 1080p/30fps on PS4.

1440p/60fps on my PC :smug: (I hope)

I didn't realise that both consoles were locked at 30fps, it'd be nice if they could offer 720/60 as an option for those people that prefer the higher framerate to seeing an extra pixel of man rear end. Of course then they'd have to fix the UI and font scaling etc. and have people crying that it's not FULL HD.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Console games running at 60fps is really rare these days. Most stuff runs at 30

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

Console games running at 60fps is really rare these days. Most stuff runs at 30

Lots of games run at 60 but definitely most AAA games that depend on screenshot hype do not.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I'm going to be that guy and say I've been playing computer games and now console and computer games since Doom and I absolutely for the life of me can not tell the difference between 30fps and 60 fps. The 720 to 1080p I can see but not the frame rate increase. I don't know why. Maybe I need new glasses.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 27, 2015

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I have no idea why but it's very visible in some games and less so in others. There's games that look fine to me at 30 fps and then there's games that look choppy at the same framerate.

If a game has an uneven framerate then even 40 fps is very noticeably choppier than 60. Though it'd probably look fine if it was a consistent 40.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm going to be that guy and say I've been playing computer games and now console and computer games since Doom and I absolutely for the life of me can not tell the difference between 30fps and 60 fps. The 720 to 1080p I can see but not the frame rate increase. I don't know why. Maybe I need new glasses.

Frame rate is not something I can tell too much if I'm not playing a shooter or fighting game. Not to say there's no difference, but it's more noticeable when I get slowdowns @ 30 vs. 60.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Elukka posted:

I have no idea why but it's very visible in some games and less so in others. There's games that look fine to me at 30 fps and then there's games that look choppy at the same framerate.

If a game has an uneven framerate then even 40 fps is very noticeably choppier than 60. Though it'd probably look fine if it was a consistent 40.

You're probably seeing the games dip below 30. Some games struggle in areas and that leads to the framerate to drop. Consistency is important. Obviously a better FPS is always better, but I don't think that being at 30 is that big of a deal generally.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I don't notice the frame rate at all unless its in the low 20s or frames get skipped for some reason. life is pretty sweet for me.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I am firmly on the team where framerate isn't really noticeable unless it is unstable or really low. As far as I care it is just a number to sell hardware with.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

For me it becomes most noticeable in shooters and the like where you're moving your field of view a lot and track moving targets. Just recently I've had the NVidia client "optimize" a some games which mostly boiled down to upping a number of settings, and for example in War Thunder tanks I've found it to be noticeably more cumbersome to accurately land a quick snap-shot at 35-40 fps than at the earlier 60+ fps. It's probably not gonna make a huge difference for The Witcher, though.

Edit: This is a pretty decent demonstration. Set one ball to 60 fps and the other to 30, disable motion blur, and you'll see a slight difference. It's not much, but in certain games it can make a bit of a difference, especially in overall feel.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
60 FPS looks far smoother than 30. I mean, I can play games at 30 but the first half hour or so until I get used to it will hurt my eyes.

Perestroika posted:

It's probably not gonna make a huge difference for The Witcher, though.

I don't know, in Witcher 2 I rotated the camera a lot during combat, so it immediately became noticable.

• Locked thread