Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Roland Jones posted:

"Not digging the way you're rubbing that salt in."

Tsuyu is great. Mineta, stop being a jerk, or the frog girl might eat you or something.

That's a fetish of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fractial
Apr 28, 2005

When we spin we feel good.
Oh man, I just checked this thread for the first time. What a great manga! Late but, thanks for that opening post. Good way to waste my Saturday.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The whole shipping of underaged characters thing is never not creepy but at least with MHA it's done with some humorous intent.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fabricated posted:

The whole shipping of underaged characters thing is never not creepy but at least with MHA it's done with some humorous intent.

I don't see how it's any creepier than teenagers dating, which is to say not at all, at least on a fundamental level. Many people make it creepy, but there's nothing actually inherently so about thinking two characters would make a cute couple.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Fabricated posted:

If you don't hateship kacchan and ochako I don't know what to say to you.

Also Midoriya, my boy, you really bit the big one. :saddowns:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
It was awfully nice of Midoriya to give the bear it's fangs back though.

:v: Oh hey, Iida (or Shiozaki), I gave Todoroki a reason to not hold back anymore! Good luck on not dying in the next round, I guess!
:geno:

Fabricated posted:

And if people can wax poetic about a fifteen-year-old frog girl's secretions here, I don't know what to tell you.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
The best part of the chapter was the awkward silence after Fire Dad's public outburst about his son.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

kinmik posted:

It was awfully nice of Midoriya to give the bear it's fangs back though.

:v: Oh hey, Iida (or Shiozaki), I gave Todoroki a reason to not hold back anymore! Good luck on not dying in the next round, I guess!
:geno:

And if people can wax poetic about a fifteen-year-old frog girl's secretions here, I don't know what to tell you.

Deku will tell Iida how to win the tournament and then Iida will give a speech about how great Deku is. It will be like the student election all over again.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Protodude posted:

The best part of the chapter was the awkward silence after Fire Dad's public outburst about his son.

I would not be surprised if Fire Dad's family situation is an open secret that the Announcer is just oblivious to (like so many things).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been really surprised at how much I enjoy reading this manga. Picked it up the other day and caught up just in time to wait a week on the newest chapter. Titles that include tournament arcs are usually not something that I read but every chapter of this has been fun and engaging.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Roland Jones posted:

"Not digging the way you're rubbing that salt in."
Speaking of rubbing salt in...

Aggressively self-destructive strategies lead to loss? Anybody reasonable could have seen that coming.

Fabricated posted:

"Shipping" on its most basic level is something everyone does, even with highschool characters.

Sometimes I feel like people online who call out poo poo for being creepy don't actually interact with people in the real world.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Twiddy posted:

Sometimes I feel like people online who call out poo poo for being creepy don't actually interact with people in the real world.
I don't really care about ships one way or the other, but I've known a lot of people to be irrationally possessive of their headcanons and outright enraged when people didn't wind up with who they wanted. I ain't the most standard guy, but that's pretty weird to me.

That and "Character A ruined Character B's life, they must want to get down." I'm sure there's some fetish there, but I'd rather not know it.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't really care about ships one way or the other, but I've known a lot of people to be irrationally possessive of their headcanons and outright enraged when people didn't wind up with who they wanted. I ain't the most standard guy, but that's pretty weird to me.

That and "Character A ruined Character B's life, they must want to get down." I'm sure there's some fetish there, but I'd rather not know it.
I'm not saying that stuff's all that normal, but I'm just saying that people being interested in the romantic lives of fictional characters (yes, even if they're high schoolers, because somehow highschoolers liking highschoolers is weird now?) is universal from what I've seen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Speaking of rubbing salt in...

Aggressively self-destructive strategies lead to loss? Anybody reasonable could have seen that coming.

"Shipping" on its most basic level is something everyone does, even with highschool characters.

Note: Everything is creepy to goons.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

chumbler posted:

youre triggering me

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chumbler posted:

Creepy things are creepy but if people are that hot and bothered about it oookay then.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Shipping is the gateway drug of bad anime life choices but if you do it recreationally I guess it's ok...

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I just read the first four chapters of this and got all blurred eyed at the end. This is an amazing Manga.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Well, anyway...

Where can I read a decent scanlation of chapter 1? Because

????
???????

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Creepy things are creepy but if people are that hot and bothered about it oookay then.
Creepy things ARE creepy, no one can deny that tautology. But in order for a tautology to be applicable the concept and definition itself has to be valid. What's creepy here?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

kinmik posted:

Well, anyway...

Where can I read a decent scanlation of chapter 1? Because

????
???????

Batoto seems to be the only site that changed to a good translation for chapter 1. Every other site has kept the awful one that came out first.

http://bato.to/read/_/302170/boku-no-hero-academia_ch1--v2-_by_fallen-angels/3

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Twiddy posted:

Creepy things ARE creepy, no one can deny that tautology. But in order for a tautology to be applicable the concept and definition itself has to be valid. What's creepy here?

Isn't the discussion of what is or is not creepy inherently creepy in itself? Man, we're getting pretty philosophical here!!

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Isn't the discussion of what is or is not creepy inherently creepy in itself? Man, we're getting pretty philosophical here!!
Who knows, I just don't agree with someone trying to give a parting shot and then going "but fine I guess I won't get into it." I also find it comedic to call something creepy that I've seen everyone do, and everyone can't be creepy, then the definition has no meaning! The point of the term creepy is to exclude people because they're abnormal in an unsettling way for X reason here.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Does the inherent existence of super powers precipitate a population of heroes and villains, or does it only exacerbate existing conditions? Is it necessary to base an entire industry around superpowered displays? Why does All Might believe it absolutely imperative that there should be a Symbol of Peace?

I expect none of these questions to be answered in the manga.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Level Slide posted:

Does the inherent existence of super powers precipitate a population of heroes and villains, or does it only exacerbate existing conditions? Is it necessary to base an entire industry around superpowered displays? Why does All Might believe it absolutely imperative that there should be a Symbol of Peace?
Heroes and villains exist in the everyday world, super powers merely allows them to take a certain form. As for that, I think I agree with All Might that there should be a symbol of peace. The same way certain images are reused to evoke an imagery or message, peace should have its own icon. In a world with super powers, it seems fitting that in this case the symbol should be a superhero.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Who guards the guardians?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Level Slide posted:

I expect none of these questions to be answered in the manga.

Well, I happened to reread the first chapter just now, and it mentions there being a rise in dangerous crime after quirks started appearing. Meanwhile, All Might already elaborated on how his heroics and the sheer impact his powers have had have lowered crime immensely, and that he, at least, believes that his death would likewise result in a return to the old, dangerous levels of superpowered crime. So that's two of your three questions answered already.

As for the other one, no, it's not necessary, but it's a pretty great idea if you want to make money in a world like this. Capitalism and all.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It's still a mystery whether the One for All vessel train started with or before the advent of quirks, but it still looked like All Might was the first after about seven other vessels to use One for All for heroism. Or maybe the other vessels did use OfA for heroism, just not to the grand extent that AM has. I almost want to tweet Horikoshi, asking how much time spanned between the rise of quirk-induced crime and All Might's debut.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Level Slide posted:

It's still a mystery whether the One for All vessel train started with or before the advent of quirks, but it still looked like All Might was the first after about seven other vessels to use One for All for heroism. Or maybe the other vessels did use OfA for heroism, just not to the grand extent that AM has. I almost want to tweet Horikoshi, asking how much time spanned between the rise of quirk-induced crime and All Might's debut.

Deku's mother is "fourth-generation", according to the first chapter, making Deku part of the fifth generation of those with quirks. So, a fair amount of time, it seems.

Whoops, misread your post somewhat. I'll take a look again, but I don't think that's specified exactly.

Edit: The most I've found so far is that crime rose with quirks, without any specific statements beyond that. It seems it was rather high, though, hence the need for a vigilante response. And, judging by how big All Might's impact was, even with heroes fighting it was pretty bad before he showed up. Given that he's the eighth vessel apparently, and presumably fourth-generation (being an adult now), I'd say a lot of time, myself.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 25, 2015

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

poo poo, there's a whole lot about All Might that I want to know. I love how he realized he done hosed up by putting so much pressure on Deku to come out on top at the festival.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Twiddy posted:

Heroes and villains exist in the everyday world, super powers merely allows them to take a certain form. As for that, I think I agree with All Might that there should be a symbol of peace. The same way certain images are reused to evoke an imagery or message, peace should have its own icon. In a world with super powers, it seems fitting that in this case the symbol should be a superhero.

I liked one commentary made about Superman, in universe, prior the New 52 reboot. Obviously it was a minor retcon, the kind that gets made all the time, but I think it was... by Batman or someone (possibly from their crossover series) about how the reason so many DCU superheroes were idealistic and/or had an aversion to killing was because Supes had set a gold standard to look up to.

All Might pretty much fits the same purpose here. He helps to show people what they can do with their powers to a good end, but also helps to assuage fears that people may have had during the transition of Quirks becoming the norm, by showing that having quirks did not make one a monster. This particularly seems the case with the explanation behind why he goes 'Because I'm here!", marking his identity by his altruism, not because someone said 'oh god he's too strong, he'll destroy everything!' or whatever else someone might get lobbied at them because of their particular quirk.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Who guards the guardians?

Ideally, the people they're guarding. You know, One for All and All for One. Individual pledges to support the group and the group and the group will do the same for the individual. Although I wonder if All Might or a previous vessel was thinking of the Musketeers the defenestrations of Prague the Swiss federal constitution that one Latin phrase when the power was named One for All.

Or it might just be English for the sake of English.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Superman and All Might are both basically idealized father figures. Strong, courageous protectors, always there for you. In your mind's eye there's nothing they can't handle. You feel safe with them around. The world is fully capable of going on without them of course should they die or disappear or make a mistake, but that sense of security would be lost.

All Might is in effect the world's strongest man, and wants everybody weaker than him - physically, emotionally, spiritually - to feel safe and secure under his watch. Even if most people don't deal with him directly, it's like that little reminder in the back of your head that good will always triumph over evil. Kill him off and the public loses something they can believe in. "The strongest of us all...and he wasn't strong enough."

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Reminder that Deku's dad has only been mentioned like once by Deku's mom and hasn't physically shown up yet. Presumably he hasn't personally seen Deku for years at a time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That's pretty much par for the course in a lot of Japanese fiction. Dad slaves away providing for the family, but isn't necessarily that intimately involved with the kids.

Probably related with Japanese work culture.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Dedicate an entire chapter to papa Deku's monotonous and grinding work life. End it on Mr. Deku stopping off at a bar after work and ordering a drink, which Black Mist obliges. I would be very amused if Black Mist runs a legit bar in between villainous assassinations and father Midoriya is one of his regulars.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There was a fan theory that thankfully seems to have been put to bed by Todoroki's flashback that Midoriya is one of Endeavor's "failed creations".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

It was also mentioned that he can breathe fire, if I'm remembering correctly. Wonder what he does for a living. I hope it's something completely mundane.

Deku's dad I mean.