Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I want to play a wrestle video game online with my buddies so that's why 2k15 will be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

LvK posted:

it's gonna be really crazy good after they give us example modding tools, full access to the file formats and years of constant community support for this one game

:laffo:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

TheJoker138 posted:

Are they actually releasing mod tools? This seems to be something they're just kind of making GBS threads out six months later without doing any real work to it beyond including the DLC. And I'm sure there will be a ton of crappy mods for it, but nothing short of an entire rebuild is going to fix the actual way the game plays.

You literally said earlier "no one will make mods for this game because no one mods crappy wrestling games" and I pointed out that yes, they do mod crappy wrestling games (let's face it, they're all poo poo, including No Mercy) and there isn't a version of a crappy wrestling game out there that someone hasn't done mods to. And then you backpedal and start being all "well they can't modify the gameplay and that's why it sucks" and it's some of us like the game play and you might disagree but that doesn't change the original argument was that there will be mods for this game. And those mods will be awesome, because someone will find a way to add in custom Titantron videos and animations and models and poo poo like that. I mean they might even add in TNA style cages, the possibilities are only limited by their dedication. Even the "fixing" gameplay poo poo you went on about, I mean they loving could if that's what they really want! For gently caress's sake, someone added netplay support to Just Cause 2, a game that when it was released didn't have a multiplayer option! A fan did that, probably because he was like "Hey, you know what this game could use? Online multiplayer." And so he did it. People are already modding Hotline Miami 2 and the level editor hasn't even been released yet! So, you know what, just shut the hell up, because you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Skunkrocker posted:

(let's face it, they're all poo poo, including No Mercy)

And this is where you're gonna lose people.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

There's gonna be a poo poo load of mods because when's the last loving time pc got a real WWE game. I bet day one poo poo will up everywhere.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I love seeing random backgrounds of unreleased characters in Immortals. I'm glad to know Hogan's coming up soon.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

RBX posted:

There's gonna be a poo poo load of mods because when's the last loving time pc got a real WWE game. I bet day one poo poo will up everywhere.

The only way it's not happening is if 2k16 is announced soon with a simultaneous PC release, and I don't know why they'd do that so soon. Even then, people will work on 2k15 in the meantime and probably well after, because modders are insane.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I'm just kinda saying that I hope you guys get what you want, but acting like the nebulous "modders" are gonna be able to fully mold the game into a stunningly detailed sandbox of wrestling history with elegant and inspired gameplay is kind of a long shot, considering how circumstantial modding can be. Pretty much every example without 5+ years of community support and/or official modding tools has special circumstances surrounding it (Minecraft basically running itself completely open from files that can be opened with WinRAR, Hotline Miami 2 running off a modified Game Maker executable from halfway-encoded bitmaps) or are kind of underwhelming (Far Cry 2 took until Far Cry 3 for anyone to even be able to change basic numbers.)

Even the really special ones don't drastically change the game - Just Cause 2 MP is still Just Cause 2 in every other aspect, the Street Fighter IV gameplay overhauls turn the game into a slightly different kind of Street Fighter, also with crotchless Spider-Woman outfits.

Older wrestling games tend to have tons of mods because they're beloved classics that run fairly unguarded (you can permanently alter No Mercy with a Gameshark ffs) with low overhead, and are also... uh... old as poo poo. Also a lot of No Mercy mods that change the gameplay are really goddamn wonky, even that is mostly just texture injections and utilizing the game's kinda "freeform" way of handling model deformation for proportions and animation.

So I'll predict what I've basically been predicting: We're gonna have custom portraits, full-length ICP videos on the titantron, and neon dicks drawn permanently on every Superstar's face texture by the end of week one or two. Then maybe assets from older games in a few months, provided the archive format is still the same, and the model format can be easily converted (man, almost definitely), and the skeletal rigs, and the game's way of interpreting the animation prompts, and whether or not the old models will glitch out when presented with new gameplay systems or features.

Somewhere along the line we'll probably get low gravity mode but those games are kind of a glitchy mess anyways so I think that comes default.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I want to play a wrestle video game online with my buddies so that's why 2k15 will be good.

this guy gets it I just hope they don't do what bad companies with no money left like to do, and port over netplay so badly as to be useless or leave it out entirely.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LvK posted:

I'm just kinda saying that I hope you guys get what you want, but acting like the nebulous "modders" are gonna be able to fully mold the game into a stunningly detailed sandbox of wrestling history with elegant and inspired gameplay is kind of a long shot, considering how circumstantial modding can be. Pretty much every example without 5+ years of community support and/or official modding tools has special circumstances surrounding it (Minecraft basically running itself completely open from files that can be opened with WinRAR, Hotline Miami 2 running off a modified Game Maker executable from halfway-encoded bitmaps) or are kind of underwhelming (Far Cry 2 took until Far Cry 3 for anyone to even be able to change basic numbers.)

Even the really special ones don't drastically change the game - Just Cause 2 MP is still Just Cause 2 in every other aspect, the Street Fighter IV gameplay overhauls turn the game into a slightly different kind of Street Fighter, also with crotchless Spider-Woman outfits.

Older wrestling games tend to have tons of mods because they're beloved classics that run fairly unguarded (you can permanently alter No Mercy with a Gameshark ffs) with low overhead, and are also... uh... old as poo poo. Also a lot of No Mercy mods that change the gameplay are really goddamn wonky, even that is mostly just texture injections and utilizing the game's kinda "freeform" way of handling model deformation for proportions and animation.

So I'll predict what I've basically been predicting: We're gonna have custom portraits, full-length ICP videos on the titantron, and neon dicks drawn permanently on every Superstar's face texture by the end of week one or two. Then maybe assets from older games in a few months, provided the archive format is still the same, and the model format can be easily converted (man, almost definitely), and the skeletal rigs, and the game's way of interpreting the animation prompts, and whether or not the old models will glitch out when presented with new gameplay systems or features.

Somewhere along the line we'll probably get low gravity mode but those games are kind of a glitchy mess anyways so I think that comes default.

This guy is right.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Madtrixr posted:

And this is where you're gonna lose people.

Hey, the best wrestling game is still poo poo, and you know it. Nothing is ever going to be perfect.

LvK posted:

acting like the nebulous "modders" are gonna be able to fully mold the game into a stunningly detailed sandbox of wrestling history with elegant and inspired gameplay is kind of a long shot

I didn't say that, I said it was possible. All it takes is the right dedication to the product.

LvK posted:

We're gonna have custom portraits, full-length ICP videos on the titantron, and neon dicks drawn permanently on every Superstar's face texture by the end of week one or two. Then maybe assets from older games in a few months, provided the archive format is still the same, and the model format can be easily converted (man, almost definitely), and the skeletal rigs, and the game's way of interpreting the animation prompts, and whether or not the old models will glitch out when presented with new gameplay systems or features.

Yeah, that's all within the first month, but modders are insane, dude. They're absolutely insane. Especially the ones with an agenda. Someone will figure out a way to replace models and animations in the game literally just because they want to make My Little Pony wrestling or some poo poo.

I'm fully expecting that because wrestling fans are nuts and modding communities end up going overboard (see: the nexus, fpsbanana, facepunch) people are going to rip into these game files and see how they tick day one. If it's still based on the old Yukes code even better because the guys doing the initial modding tools will know where to start. And it'll be great if someone figures out how to get old assets from the console games in as well, especially some of my favorite wrestlers from the past few years, but hell. If it doesn't happen I'm still going to enjoy myself with what does get modded.

Oh, yeah, and I also happen to be someone who does modding himself. I'm not particularly good, but at least I don't do things like "buttface john cena" which will be like the second mod that comes out for this game.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

LvK posted:

I'm just kinda saying that I hope you guys get what you want, but acting like the nebulous "modders" are gonna be able to fully mold the game into a stunningly detailed sandbox of wrestling history with elegant and inspired gameplay is kind of a long shot, considering how circumstantial modding can be.

Either extreme is a stupid position to take, and that's why like zero people are predicting that's what it's going to be. People are just excited for the potential, which is entirely realistic. There's probably going to be a million anime waifu dickgirl orgy mods too, but the sentiment people are arguing against is that there will only be CAWs and nobody else will give a poo poo because it's a mediocre game with middling reviews. I'd wager the actual gameplay will be mostly the same for a long time, with several augmentations and balances to improve upon it, but probably no total ground-up repackages. Skyrim still plays like Skyrim even with the 200 mods I have that make it better (though there are mods that change gameplay drastically into a DmC-style action fighter too, so who knows). However I'd also wager someone's going to try to put the AKI system back into it before too long since that's the one engine everyone loves and misses. But again, thinking that it'll either be what I quoted from you (which nobody is saying), or that nobody will care beyond CAWs (which someone is saying), are both pretty uninformed and silly ideas about how this works. Changes will be incremental for a while, bugs will be routinely patched out, and bigger ones will come with time, but I guarantee you'll see at least a few "Best 2k15 Mods of the Week" Youtube channels within the year provided people have the resources for it - and still probably even if they don't.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I downloaded some real cool mods for NBA 2K13 so I hope there are some cool mods for WWE 2K15 too

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Hell, the ability to have things like the original Straight Edge Society titantron video will be enough to make me happy, because... that isn't in the game right now, even though SES Punk and Nexus Punk is.

EDIT: Actually, I'm basing that particular assumption is based on Punk still being in the game; he might not be! Nothing about him on Steam.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

WWE 2k15 bad

Comprehensive list of other PC wrestling games: M. Dickie games

-modded versions of No Mercy on an emulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yNDNKVKB04

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Skunkrocker posted:

I'm fully expecting that because wrestling fans are nuts and modding communities end up going overboard (see: the nexus, fpsbanana, facepunch) people are going to rip into these game files and see how they tick day one.

Nexus primarily caters to games with full modding tools, FPSBanana mostly to games with plug-and-play assets, and Facepunch to both of them.

I'm not actually sure what current Yuke's tools do besides extract models, but I doubt they're gonna require much fixing, so, uh, correcting myself: retexturing is going to happen before the game even finishes preloading on Steam.

Though yeah the first big overhaul is probably going to be ponies.

sticklefifer posted:

Either extreme is a stupid position to take, and that's why like zero people are predicting that's what it's going to be. People are just excited for the potential, which is entirely realistic. There's probably going to be a million anime waifu dickgirl orgy mods too, but the sentiment people are arguing against is that there will only be CAWs and nobody else will give a poo poo because it's a mediocre game with middling reviews. I'd wager the actual gameplay will be mostly the same for a long time, with several augmentations and balances to improve upon it, but probably no total ground-up repackages. Skyrim still plays like Skyrim even with the 200 mods I have that make it better (though there are mods that change gameplay drastically into a DmC-style action fighter too, so who knows). However I'd also wager someone's going to try to put the AKI system back into it before too long since that's the one engine everyone loves and misses. But again, thinking that it'll either be what I quoted from you (which nobody is saying), or that nobody will care beyond CAWs (which someone is saying), are both pretty uninformed and silly ideas about how this works. Changes will be incremental for a while, bugs will be routinely patched out, and bigger ones will come with time, but I guarantee you'll see at least a few "Best 2k15 Mods of the Week" Youtube channels within the year provided people have the resources for it - and still probably even if they don't.

I mean, you weren't saying mods were going to be unreasonable. Not really arguing against you for saying there'll be more than CAWs. I'm counting earlier parts of the thread with high hopes for unlimited sky-high potential and comments like "you can just mod out the bad parts". Can't remember if the "modders can just mod divas into create-a-character" sentiment was here or another forum.

Also gunning for the AKI engine playstyle is kind of what I had in mind when I described fully molding the game into something different.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
can someone just come out and say that the big difference is that no mercy is extremely ugly and 2k15 is fairly pretty? i know it's part of big Gamer Machismo to say that ~graphics don't matter only gameplay~ for whatever reason but come on

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

of course no mercy is ugly it's a loving nintendo 64 game. it's also actually a good game

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

of course no mercy is ugly it's a loving nintendo 64 game. it's also actually a good game

agreed but i would rather have nakamura v. lou thesz in a bad game than polygons roughly shaped like them in a good game

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Nerokerubina posted:

agreed but i would rather have nakamura v. lou thesz in a bad game than polygons roughly shaped like them in a good game

Sorry you don't enjoy playing video games, but that's cool.

the best looking and playing game to have that match in is Fire Pro Wrestling

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 25, 2015

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

NeatherRealm, please just port Immortals to PC and consoles so we can stop talking about this, please.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

what. I want this. How do I get this?

And then, how do I play it with an N64 controller?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

This reminds me, Sami Zayn's music is incredible.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I've gotten No Mercy mods to work once.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

LvK posted:

Also gunning for the AKI engine playstyle is kind of what I had in mind when I described fully molding the game into something different.

That's not a longshot. Most of AKI can be recreated by remapping keys and changing functionality of a few buttons. I'd honestly be happy with just bringing back created arenas, belts, and storylines. 2k said they didn't include them because they ran out of time and needed to streamline the game for initial release, so time will tell if they add new modes or if users will have to do it themselves. It's entirely up to how difficult it is to implement, and whether 2k provides tools.

Phenix Rising posted:

And then, how do I play it with an N64 controller?

You can buy a USB one.

http://www.amazon.com/Retrolink-Nintendo-64-Classic-Enabled-Controller/dp/B008L3UUPS

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

sticklefifer posted:

That's not a longshot. Most of AKI can be recreated by remapping keys and changing functionality of a few buttons. I'd honestly be happy with just bringing back created arenas, belts, and storylines. 2k said they didn't include them because they ran out of time and needed to streamline the game for initial release, so time will tell if they add new modes or if users will have to do it themselves. It's entirely up to how difficult it is to implement, and whether 2k provides tools.

Ehh, I don't know, AKI had a lot of different positions and changes in the ways that strikes and throw physics worked. WWE games have gotten pretty "compartmentalized" (as in, every action kind of seems to exist in its own little sub-scene of the match) and AKI was always giving the player more rope to idiotically hang themselves with.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There are also USB adapters that let you plug in two N64 controllers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
What if I need three N64 controllers? What do I do then?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Guys, don't forget about the excellent 5 Star Wrestling only on PlayStation Network for PlayStation 3!

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

What if I need three N64 controllers? What do I do then?

Get a USB splitter i guess.
or have a computer that 2 usb ports on the front and two on the top, like mine somehow does.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So I downloaded a CAW of Beth Phoenix for 2k14 some time ago and only recently noticed what I thought was a graphical glitch resulting in some unfortunate upskirt shots when pinning someone. Today I finally decided to fix it by just giving her some pants.

It was not a glitch. The uploader, in addition to giving her the right costume and finishers and all that, had somehow used the body art tools to "erase" her default underwear and give her visible pubic hair.

Wrestling fans, people. We're the worst.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
As long as my brother and I can create mutants on our PCs and pit them against each other in via World Wrestling Entertainment Two Thousand Fifteen For the Personal Computer (PC), then I will be a happy camper. :)

(still gonna wait for the inevitable Steam sale tho :v:)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I just want the CAW depth to support my long desired fed where everyone represents a different metal subgenre. :black101:

Deathcore kid is a designated jobber.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Man now I kind of really want a decently fun and flexible deathmatch wrestling game with a good CAW mode, mostly so I can make hideous mutant freaks and have them powerbomb each other off of rooftops and into a pile of broken, burning tables

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

LvK posted:

Man now I kind of really want a decently fun and flexible deathmatch wrestling game with a good CAW mode, mostly so I can make hideous mutant freaks and have them powerbomb each other off of rooftops and into a pile of broken, burning tables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gSEbQsauTY

truly a work of art

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

I've only played a few rounds of this but honestly it's pretty fun.

It's really bad and janked to hell, but in the way where I can kind of excuse myself for a few minutes as I powerbomb people into empty swimming pools and do leg drops through unsafe wooden structures.

e: oh yeah also I've seen many, many games with worse grapple counters and transitions than this game, which is very sad.

LvK fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 26, 2015

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HAHAHAHA. They made Jimmy Uso a alternate costume of Jey Uso.

edit: and yet, Diego and Fernando are two separate characters!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

A lot of what made the AKI games good was in things that are simply done differently than in the Smackdown series. There were different reversal styles, so a giant never flip arm-dragged out of power-bombs. One of the best things was how running attacks could be countered into arm-bars or guillotine chokes, making them far more risky than in the Smackdown series. Also, while there was a timing system in place for avoiding and reversing strikes, and for avoiding grapples, the reversals of grapple moves into other moves was based on randomness and momentum, meaning that the AI could actually put up a fight without the matches turning into a reversal repetition derby. The AKI games were the last Wrestling games I have ever played that felt relatively balanced for multi-player. They were also the last ones I played where a hard difficulty didn't mean reversal spam city.

Strikes and top rope moves had a solid feel to them that really has never been bettered. Animations as a whole were fantastic. You could actually hit rebound strikes off the ropes into running opponents, something the Smackdown series has made really hard since the introduction of free run. No Mercy had a great weapons set up, no physics, but they didn't drop through the ground and could be used in moves, little is more satisfying than repeatedly beating a dudes head into the ring-bell in that game.

That is not to say they didn't have issues, they were ugly to a fault. CAW, though good for its time is pretty limited now. There have been a lot of new moves introduced since 2001, and they can be missed playing this series. The two WCW games had a glitch that could get you out of pins and submissions at will. No Mercy had the famous progress deletion glitch and removed some of the better reversals from the previous games. There were no finisher reversals, though you could reverse strikes into finishers.

All together though its a fun series, and maybe still the best one to play with friends to date. If you have a PS2 with no region locks, I would also suggest King of Colosseum 2, which may be the best wrestling sim of all time.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 26, 2015

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Some people seem to think (not saying anyone on this board does) that if AKI had stuck around and continued making WWE games, that they never would have never evolved past No Mercy. Like the graphics would have never gotten better, and new game modes wouldn't have been introduced.

But hey, for me, I think the No Mercy graphics look fine, even today. They're completely serviceable. Hell, I take solid gameplay over graphics any day. I really don't give a poo poo if you the wrestlers look photo-realistic or not. The character movements on No Mercy are still a lot better then on the 2K games today. They don't seem to be gliding around the ring, you know? It's like the wrestlers actually have weight and mass on No Mercy.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Well yeah, the Def Jam games looked great. The game-play started going in interesting directions too. I really wish we got the canceled Backlash game, the WCW jumps between No Mercy and then would have made for a really cool roster.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The last good wrestling game was WCW backstage assault