Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

dik-dik posted:

Ok, this is a long shot, but is there an app where I can lock away a file or some text until a given time, with absolutely no way to access it until then?

Short of some crazy Bitcoin blockchain key escrow scheme, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Move it to a thumb drive and give it to someone.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm tired of plugging an external hard drive into my MBA. Is setting up an FTP with, say, an exFAT partition on my Windows PC a viable option instead for files up to a couple hundred MB and streaming video and stuff? Could I keep an iTunes library that way?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

tuyop posted:

I'm tired of plugging an external hard drive into my MBA. Is setting up an FTP with, say, an exFAT partition on my Windows PC a viable option instead for files up to a couple hundred MB and streaming video and stuff? Could I keep an iTunes library that way?

I'm not sure how well it works but OSX supports Windows file sharing iirc. FTP definitely wouldn't be the way to do it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

tuyop posted:

If you're talking about just while you're in your own house, for iTunes it might be simpler to just set up home sharing (i.e. install iTunes on the windows machine, move your library over there, share it to your MBA),.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'd like to be able to just leave the external hard drive at home most of the time unless I'm doing video editing or something though. So is there a way to make the iTunes library available over any internet connection and have it work?

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

tuyop posted:

I'd like to be able to just leave the external hard drive at home most of the time unless I'm doing video editing or something though. So is there a way to make the iTunes library available over any internet connection and have it work?

I sync my iTunes library over Dropbox and have zero problems with it. It automatically keeps itself up to date no matter which machine I add stuff on.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I've been doing some editing of Arma 3 footage in iMovie, it's working really well. For titles and effects, I saw this piece of software called Motion 5. What is the learning curve like for Motion 5?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1180

Huge fan of this. Comes with WD Red drives, does TimeMachine, iTunes, and has integrated FTP, WebDAV, HTTP, SNMP... pretty much an affordable "prosumer" NAS.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm trying out Hazel for sorting my Downloads folder, any rule you'd recommend?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

tuyop posted:

Your best bet, unless you're really married to using iTunes, is probably Google Music. You can upload up to 50,000 songs and then listen to them from anywhere with an internet connection. For free. Otherwise you'll basically have to set up a home server (afaik)

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
or buy itunes match

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm also concerned with archived media, and hard drive space on the laptop. So iTunes Match is great with its streaming and stuff for music, but if I want to get at, say, my FCP projects away from home, I have to lug the (admittedly tiny) external HDD. Cloud syncing is out because of hard drive space as well.

I can accept that the solution may be worse than the problem, since it's probably not easy or cheap to maintain an FTP over the Internet forever compared to just plugging in a hard drive regularly.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just opened up Photos and it seems to have migrated everything over from iPhoto. Can I get rid of iPhoto safely now? It'd be nice to free up an extra 1.7 gigs of space, but I don't want to accidentally delete any of my photos or break something in the process.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

tuyop posted:

I'm also concerned with archived media, and hard drive space on the laptop. So iTunes Match is great with its streaming and stuff for music, but if I want to get at, say, my FCP projects away from home, I have to lug the (admittedly tiny) external HDD. Cloud syncing is out because of hard drive space as well.

I can accept that the solution may be worse than the problem, since it's probably not easy or cheap to maintain an FTP over the Internet forever compared to just plugging in a hard drive regularly.

You'd more than likely still have to keep your active FCP projects on the external drive purely because of bandwidth, but you could easily stick your archived stuff on a synology or something. Only major issue would be your home upload speed limiting out if you wanted to grab a large file over the Internet.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

GobiasIndustries posted:

I just opened up Photos and it seems to have migrated everything over from iPhoto. Can I get rid of iPhoto safely now? It'd be nice to free up an extra 1.7 gigs of space, but I don't want to accidentally delete any of my photos or break something in the process.

Yes you can get rid of it. No, you will not save any noticeable space. Both programs reference the same photos.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rnr posted:

Yes you can get rid of it. No, you will not save any noticeable space. Both programs reference the same photos.

Well, deleting the iPhoto App should save me the 1.7 gigs of space it's taking up at least.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 26, 2015

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
gently caress gently caress gently caress. Just did an update, and it restarted to a blinking folder. Restart with option key held down, and a I get a password prompt that's not taking my usual password. This is a work computer - is that password something IT supplies, or is it something else? This is the second time in six months that this thing has gone hosed after doing an update. Think I got a lemon.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Three-Phase posted:

I've been doing some editing of Arma 3 footage in iMovie, it's working really well. For titles and effects, I saw this piece of software called Motion 5. What is the learning curve like for Motion 5?
Motion is the professional motion graphics software released by Apple with their Final Cut Studio line of professional video editing softwares. The learning curve is pretty steep but if you seriously enjoy editing video then it's very useful to learn and once you get skilled it's extremely versatile.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

jackpot posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress. Just did an update, and it restarted to a blinking folder. Restart with option key held down, and a I get a password prompt that's not taking my usual password. This is a work computer - is that password something IT supplies, or is it something else? This is the second time in six months that this thing has gone hosed after doing an update. Think I got a lemon.

I think that's something IT supplies. It's this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Is there an ePub viewing/conversion tool for 10.8 that isn't the piece of utter dogshit that is Calibre?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

crazysim posted:

I think that's something IT supplies. It's this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455
Thanks! Fingers crossed that my data's ok.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
You should ask IT to supply you with a cloth and some water to give your screen a wipe too. Ugh.

Generic Monk posted:

You'd more than likely still have to keep your active FCP projects on the external drive purely because of bandwidth, but you could easily stick your archived stuff on a synology or something. Only major issue would be your home upload speed limiting out if you wanted to grab a large file over the Internet.

This is a good point. I wasn't thinking that I'd be limited by my ridiculous 1.5mbps upload speed.

I think the real solution is to just buy a MBP with an SSD of a useful size instead of the 128gb I have in the MBA. Thats definitely in the budget for September or October.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

tuyop posted:

You should ask IT to supply you with a cloth and some water to give your screen a wipe too. Ugh.

This is a good point. I wasn't thinking that I'd be limited by my ridiculous 1.5mbps upload speed.

I think the real solution is to just buy a MBP with an SSD of a useful size instead of the 128gb I have in the MBA. Thats definitely in the budget for September or October.
Or, as wolffenstein said, you could pay for iTunes match. It'll upload up to 25000 songs from your library into iCloud and you can then access those (either by streaming or by caching them to the computer) on any device signed into iCloud. I think it's $25 a year or something like that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mercurius posted:

Or, as wolffenstein said, you could pay for iTunes match. It'll upload up to 25000 songs from your library into iCloud and you can then access those (either by streaming or by caching them to the computer) on any device signed into iCloud. I think it's $25 a year or something like that.

I have iTunes Match, it's good.

It doesn't work for anything else though, like FCP and Lightroom libraries.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Question about Photos. Does it respect a user's folder structure or does it use its own system that gives no fucks about it and can't be accessed/manipulated without the Photos app? I'd hate to have all my photos neatly organized and backed up after all these years and then have Photos flip it all on its head.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Butt Savage posted:

Question about Photos. Does it respect a user's folder structure or does it use its own system that gives no fucks about it and can't be accessed/manipulated without the Photos app? I'd hate to have all my photos neatly organized and backed up after all these years and then have Photos flip it all on its head.
It keeps them all in a single library file that's cryptically organized and basically impossible to navigate.

Something like Lightroom sounds much more up your alley.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Well that's a shame. I kinda enjoy using most of OSX's built-in apps but steered clear of anything that would touch my photo collection. Lightroom might be a bit too much for my purposes, but I did find it kinda cool when I demoed it a few years ago. I'll give it another shot. Thanks.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

tuyop posted:

I have iTunes Match, it's good.

It doesn't work for anything else though, like FCP and Lightroom libraries.
Ah, I misunderstood since you didn't actually say that you had Match, only that it looked great with the streaming functionality.

Unfortunately, nearly all of the cloud storage providers aren't particularly fast for either uploading and downloading so unless you've got a computer (or NAS as was mentioned) that's on and uploading all the time (and even then with 1.5Mbps you'll be struggling) your larger media is never going to be in sync. A larger hard drive in the MBP is good but then you're also looking at a single point of failure (either the external drive or if something happens to the machine) and still have the issue of getting everything synced between computers.

Sadly I don't think cloud storage stuff is quite there for anything beyond basic music/documents/photo storage at the moment.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mercurius posted:

Ah, I misunderstood since you didn't actually say that you had Match, only that it looked great with the streaming functionality.

Unfortunately, nearly all of the cloud storage providers aren't particularly fast for either uploading and downloading so unless you've got a computer (or NAS as was mentioned) that's on and uploading all the time (and even then with 1.5Mbps you'll be struggling) your larger media is never going to be in sync. A larger hard drive in the MBP is good but then you're also looking at a single point of failure (either the external drive or if something happens to the machine) and still have the issue of getting everything synced between computers.

Sadly I don't think cloud storage stuff is quite there for anything beyond basic music/documents/photo storage at the moment.

Yeah, is Crashplan the go-to for backing up external drives on OS X? I've been using it for years on Windows but haven't moved to using it in OS X because I don't want to wreck the battery life on my MacBook.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

tuyop posted:

Yeah, is Crashplan the go-to for backing up external drives on OS X? I've been using it for years on Windows but haven't moved to using it in OS X because I don't want to wreck the battery life on my MacBook.

I believe it is, yeah. Don't think it should wreck your battery, especially if you set it up to only sync infrequently or whatever.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

tuyop posted:

yeah... a rMB with a 1Tb SSD will become a must buy for me, I really need to keep that many files locally, it's kinda annoying...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Probably a question for the hardware thread, but my Mid 2011 iMac 27" (base model) struggles with more than 3 1080P60fps streams when making a multi-cam clip.

I have 16GB of RAM currently, so Im going to assume its either CPU or GPU thats causing it to choke on the multiple feeds.

Is there anything I can do software-wise to use more than 3 streams? Im going to be doing it more in the future with up to 5 streams + separate audio, potentially.

I guess my next question is what is the minimum spec on an rMBP to do this? since I was planning on going to that as my next machine.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Butt Savage posted:

Apple is apparently trying to convince us that having a system is not the way to go (Photos, iTunes).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xabi posted:

Apple is apparently trying to convince us that having a system is not the way to go (Photos, iTunes).

They're trying to convince us to move away from the archaic folder and file mentality when it comes to data. I will admit, I'm still having problems with divorcing myself from that, but in the places I have it works fantastically (email and evernote).

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I reinstalled Yosemite from zero yesterday and it's like having a new computer, all the graphical lag vanished (13" rMBP) . So, that's an option if your Mac didn't like the update to Yosemite.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

So hey, I'm hoping somebody can help me with a software recommendation.

I'm looking for some kind of cataloging software that will let me create a little database of general crap I own. Ideally I'd like to be able to just scan the barcodes of my books, DVDs etc with my phone (or enter stuff manually, e.g. for electronics) and have it populate a cloud library for me. I've found a few different options but I don't know if there's a goon favourite I should know about.

Cheers!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TACD posted:

So hey, I'm hoping somebody can help me with a software recommendation.

I'm looking for some kind of cataloging software that will let me create a little database of general crap I own. Ideally I'd like to be able to just scan the barcodes of my books, DVDs etc with my phone (or enter stuff manually, e.g. for electronics) and have it populate a cloud library for me. I've found a few different options but I don't know if there's a goon favourite I should know about.

Cheers!

https://delicious-monster.com Worked fantastic for me back when I was using it just for games and movies, and it looks like it's only gotten better from there. I'd try the demo to see if it'll meet your needs.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I bought the newest version of Delicious Monster about a year ago. It does exactly what you wanted, including iPhone scanning of barcodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wow, yeah that looks like it does everything I was thinking of and more besides. Thanks!