Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I went the ABY splitter route. I got an EHX one today and it works excellently and is a simple non-janky solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Line level works as you can adjust the gain level of the cable and let software unfuck any problems. For multiple real amps you need an A/B/Y or a reamp box as mentioned.

ReAmpers are just a circuit with a 1k:600 ohm step down transformer and a few resistors to drop the signals impedance level close enough to an unamped guitar signal.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Verizian posted:

Line level works as you can adjust the gain level of the cable and let software unfuck any problems.

Ohhh yeah I forgot about the ol' gain slider

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Chalupa Joe posted:

seriously:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct-qa6SjRZo

This may be a badcontroversial opinion but from a guitar playing standpoint Second Coming is better than their first album.

I went and suggested this song a few weeks back through the form on Rocksmith's website, you all should do that too and maybe someone will notice.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

All this talk of lag and wiring, here's what I currently use:

guitar - RS cable - USB extender cable - PS3

I had major problems getting the guitar in tune when I used guitar - extension - RS cable - PS3. So, I decided to go digital at the earliest opportunity and all the problems went away. Maybe it was a lovely extension cable or barrel connector. Dunno and don't care to investigate now that things work well.

By the way, adding the original RS songs to RS 2014 was shockingly easy. It's a pain to navigate through all them all on the PS3. Not a huge deal as most of the time is spent on the fret boar, not the game pad.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Kaboobi posted:

Looks like a Dethklok pack next week, gird your fingers.

https://twitter.com/UbisoftStudioSF/status/591322969755914240

YYYYYYYYES!

Those of us who are manly metal :black101: men always keep an axe with heavy gauge strings handy for fortuitous happenings such as this.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I run two lines TO a splitter. no line out is needed.

Guitar to pedal board (wah before pitch shifter, then other pedals) which then goes into one fork of the Y.

The rocksmith cable goes into the other fork of the Y.

The merged line (bottom of the Y) goes to the input jack of the amp.

There is nothing needed to split other than a $5 splitter from Amazon.

To pitch shift you get what you paid for. I dropped almost $200 on the digidrop but my god it has no lag and even sounds good clean.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

To pitch shift you get what you paid for. I dropped almost $200 on the digidrop but my god it has no lag and even sounds good clean.
Been eyeing one for a while. How does it handle chords and rapid notes?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Nebraska Tim posted:

Been eyeing one for a while. How does it handle chords and rapid notes?

All I can say is that I almost always forget I'm using it.

It does not work well with a bass. At all.

I have an idea, I'll run it through and turn on the polytune that is next to it.

Give me an hour.

Took less time than I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZuDdk0-nnU

E -> Eb -> D -> C -> B (it goes down to an octave below but I figured you'd get the idea)

ignore the sock.

I could play through it but I'm still working on getting the snowball to record properly.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 25, 2015

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

rt4 posted:

Sweet Dreams by Roy Buchanan is a good one

That is a good one. Nice mix of slow and twiddly to practice on Thanks for the rec, I might not have looked at it otherwise.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

OhDearGodNo posted:

All I can say is that I almost always forget I'm using it.

It does not work well with a bass. At all.

I have an idea, I'll run it through and turn on the polytune that is next to it.

Give me an hour.

Took less time than I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZuDdk0-nnU

E -> Eb -> D -> C -> B (it goes down to an octave below but I figured you'd get the idea)

ignore the sock.

I could play through it but I'm still working on getting the snowball to record properly.

Thanks for this video man I'll get this one, I think.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Poetic Justice posted:

Thanks for this video man I'll get this one, I think.

You won't regret it.

For all you bass players, you need to grab Bernadette from Customs Forge. It's insanely fun to play.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Behold! My new babby:

It's one of these which just hit the market, is my understanding. I still need to replace the strings on it because they are lovely stock strings. They're also new so they go out of tune a lot so it makes playing Rocksmith difficult. Once they settle in I'm going to be running this through my POG2 and playing some geetar on the bass. Right now it doesn't work so well because the strings thing I think, but when I play my other basses through the POG2 it's just fine (other than trying to properly play full chords which is a bit tricky, for logistical reasons).

EvilChameleon fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 25, 2015

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Ordered new pickups for my baritone in anticipation of Dethklok: http://www.guitarfetish.com/CLEARANCE-GFS-Calibrated-Pair-Ferrite-Zebra-Humbucker-Pickups_p_12185.html

Will I regret this? Probably! Should be fun though.

TheArtist 314
Dec 25, 2004

What is your purpose?!

I just wanna rock!

OhDearGodNo posted:

You won't regret it.

Just gonna chime in to agree. I have quite a bit of cdlc in various tunings and it's so great not to have to tune down if I'm in a dumb metal mood. I just go from guitar to pedal to computer and it works perfectly.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I thought I had read that the rocksmith cable was sensitive and easy to overload/break by using line level or pedal outs. I guess that's not the case?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I think i want a fender precision bass. I lovvee them.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Snowy posted:

I thought I had read that the rocksmith cable was sensitive and easy to overload/break by using line level or pedal outs. I guess that's not the case?

Preamps or any kind of distortion tends to gently caress up note recognition when it adds harmonics or modulates the fundamental frequency. Pitch shifters give a controlled modulation which is why they can be used to emulate different tunings in the game. Wah pedals are basically a tone control in a pedal so they don't change the fundamental note much at all.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Verizian posted:

Preamps or any kind of distortion tends to gently caress up note recognition when it adds harmonics or modulates the fundamental frequency. Pitch shifters give a controlled modulation which is why they can be used to emulate different tunings in the game. Wah pedals are basically a tone control in a pedal so they don't change the fundamental note much at all.

Have to disagree.

hammer down on my wah and the note recognition suffers, same with the phaser although to a lesser degree. The solution is to split my line from the pitch shifter, however the wah always has to go first so it's all moot.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I think i want a fender precision bass. I lovvee them.

Jazzes are better :colbert:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Thunderhorse :allears:. Say goodbye to your fingers because they're already dead.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Chalupa Joe posted:

Jazzes are better :colbert:

Link to video of tasty sound

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Thunderhorse :allears:. Say goodbye to your fingers because they're already dead.

If you're playing it on bass, though, you need to play it with your dick.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do tremolo systems place nice with Rocksmith? I remember earlier in the thread someone mentioned Floyd Rose's were a pain, but are all tremolo's like that?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

DOOP posted:

Do tremolo systems place nice with Rocksmith? I remember earlier in the thread someone mentioned Floyd Rose's were a pain, but are all tremolo's like that?

They're fine if you don't change tunings. If you just have a regular tremolo, though, you should be fine.

Edit: If you have a floating bridge tremolo system, then you are only good for one tuning. If you have a fixed bridge tremolo (most tremolos that aren't Floyd-Rose or Ibanez's copy of FR) you'll be fine.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

DOOP posted:

Pain to string, but they work fine in game if you aren't constantly shuffling tunings. gently caress alternate tunings anyway.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
As the others state, tremolos can be a real pain to work with if you shift tunings often. The best advice I got on it is that you don't need them if you don't use it.

In RS2014, you don't need it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I blew this game off for a long time because it seemed all "learn to play" and I already know how to play.

But I saw some ad for 2014 and it mentioned being able to do improv jamming with a virtual band, which super appealed to me, and reading reviews said the game was better for experienced players than the first version. It was pretty cheap so I nabbed it.

Frustrated the poo poo out of me for a few hours because I couldn't find the options menu to change the resolution, the game got stuck on the tuning screen and wouldn't let me go past (I think the cable doesn't play well with my SG, switched to my Les Paul and its working muuuuch better) and the strings were loving backwards! Also even though I told the game I was experienced, it starts me off on baby difficulty for all songs?!

Anyways I got the resolution figured out and I reversed the strings and figured out how to turn up the difficulty for a whole song at once (way more complicated than it should be) now I'm loving jamming, man. :krad:

Just blew through Knights of Cydonia half from memory and half from sight reading, got like over 90% accuracy, feels pretty drat good.
And I like how the game is now giving me hints to go practice the couple parts I was kinda shaky on to get better at the song overall.

Probably shoulda just posted here first so you guys could tell me how to do all that stuff, but for some reason I didn't think there'd be a thread. Welp.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Pain to string, but they work fine in game if you aren't constantly shuffling tunings. gently caress alternate tunings anyway.

Alternate tunings are a pain but the way the game auto launches the tuner to get you into the right tuning if it knows you weren't on that one for the last song is pretty drat handy.

I usually say "gently caress it" to playing songs that need odd tunings but I could see myself trying new things with this.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
If you get a D-Tuna installed, you could at least play standard E and Drop D songs without much hassle.

I just don't use my super hairband metal guitar for Rocksmith though.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I just have a couple extra guitars I keep in drop D and Eb.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I bought some heavy gauge strings for down tuning but will it hurt/break them (or the guitar) if I tune them up to E sometimes? I only have one guitar.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Dross posted:

I bought some heavy gauge strings for down tuning but will it hurt/break them (or the guitar) if I tune them up to E sometimes? I only have one guitar.

No you'll be fine but bending will be a bitch.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Depends on how heavy / how downtuned, but yeah I still have 11s on mine from when I was playing in D a lot. Your intonation might be a bit crappy and the string height might be a bit much when you tune up, but otherwise it should be fine

It's just extra tension on the instrument, if you have any serious problems it could make them worse, but that's just a general warning

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing my neck-thru guitar gives me extra tuning stability, but Eb, drop D, and open tunings don't really give me any trouble. D standard would be fine too, if only these songs didn't expect me to play above the 9th fret.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I wish you could set up chord progressions in session mode

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
5 Pack of Blues songs next week

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man I am having so much fun just jamming along to this, feels really good when you're doing well and the game turns your volume up and the track down and the virtual audience goes wild.

There is so much loving DLC for this game but I kinda want it all :retrogames:

Drogadon posted:

I wish you could set up chord progressions in session mode

You can do a 12-bar :shrug:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Man I am having so much fun just jamming along to this, feels really good when you're doing well and the game turns your volume up and the track down and the virtual audience goes wild.

There is so much loving DLC for this game but I kinda want it all :retrogames:

You can do a 12-bar :shrug:

The DLC goes on sale fairly often, wait till then. When it does go on sale, make sure that the pack aren't more expensive than the individual tracks like they seem to always be.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr E posted:

The DLC goes on sale fairly often, wait till then. When it does go on sale, make sure that the pack aren't more expensive than the individual tracks like they seem to always be.

Thanks for the tip, I was about to go on a spree. I'll hold off on most of em then and hope there's something soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Zaphod42 posted:

Thanks for the tip, I was about to go on a spree. I'll hold off on most of em then and hope there's something soon.

Summer sale in July is your best bet.