Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Poor, poor Lives-With-Constant-Back-Pain...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Forget her back, think about her ankles. :ohdear: Her tiny tiny ankles.

Perhaps we should be grateful Morrowind beast races don't wear shoes.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

ESO is so underwhelming. They've sent me like a dozen emails about the ESO testers weekend so I thought what the hell. The classes are still weird and arbitrary (Templar? Dragon Knight?), the tutorial dungeon is still a dumb mess, and I once I got dumped into the Dark Elf starting area I swear it doesn't even look as good as Morrowind with mods. Maybe it improves later but nothing has felt "Elder Scrolls" so far and as far as bog standard MMO it's not nearly as interesting as WoW or FFXIV.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

ESO is so underwhelming. They've sent me like a dozen emails about the ESO testers weekend so I thought what the hell. The classes are still weird and arbitrary (Templar? Dragon Knight?), the tutorial dungeon is still a dumb mess, and I once I got dumped into the Dark Elf starting area I swear it doesn't even look as good as Morrowind with mods. Maybe it improves later but nothing has felt "Elder Scrolls" so far and as far as bog standard MMO it's not nearly as interesting as WoW or FFXIV.

im still hitting it as soon as it comes to consoles this summer because i will always buy everything elder scrolls

anyway i watched a video review of it on youtube some time ago and there was a bridge that looked like it was 3 or 4 car lengths wide and straight out of wow. ugh

in other news i paid 35 dollars for the daggerfall companion and theres weird lore poo poo in it that im pretty sure has been retconned out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Uninstalled Morrowind in a fit of pique earlier tonight because I just could not root out all the loving bugs from my install. I'll go back to it very soon I am sure, but man I would love a preconfigured content mod pack, quests and town expansions and weapons/armor, all combined. Then I don't have to figure out which mod has completely broken every single character's dialog (New Suran Extended, for some unfathomable reason :confused:) or which one's models and/or textures are hosed up so like 1/3 of all people have huge exclamation marks instead of heads (no clue) or which one has gimped up my grass (???).

I could install fewer mods buttttttt there's so many I want to have installed so I can have EVEN MORE Morrowind content I'll never actually play. :negative:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

double nine posted:

Chocolate Hammer/Rutskarn has posted the first part of his Oblivion retrospective:

http://www.chocolatehammer.org/?p=5016

Maybe I'm just being bad at reading comprehension, but what is the question he alludes to in the second-to-last paragraph?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Maybe I'm just being bad at reading comprehension, but what is the question he alludes to in the second-to-last paragraph?
Edit: Oh, wait. I'm bad at reading comprehension. No clue what that second, looming question is.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 18, 2015

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
"whether the paradigm shift Oblivion brought with it was seen as a natural progression or a willful departure from Morrowind’s values." is the second looming question.

Also so far he's really undersold the shift in the forums. It was basically open season for newcomers to belittle the "Morrowhiners" who thought "Moronwind" was better than the mess Oblivion was - and saying that too loudly would get you banned as well. Afterwards the Devs basically never posted in the forum again. Forum roleplay, as they did before on occassion? Q&A? Forget it. The company itself changed with Oblivion and for the worse.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 18, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

So I had a dream where I was part of an archeological dig. We unearthed ruins of the Sixth House and I started hallucinating stuff like a huge bridge that led into the sunrise (as in the sun rose further the more you progressed along it, not that it faced east).

Then I was told "Sleepers, Awake!". I repeatedly chanted "The Sixth House is risen, and Dagoth is its glory!" and then I met Vivec, who was a bro, but he was befuddled because the archeological dig unearthed a fossilized ape finger and he couldn't handle the fact that we found something like three million years old because Nirn is not that old.

Anyway yeah Sixth House 4lief

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Did anyone by chance give you a strange statue made of ash? Also, can you please come to Vivec, I need you to make a delivery to the Ministry of Truth...

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Dagoth Did Nothing Wrong.

Now excuse me while I rock out a song on my trunk appendage growing out of the hole where my face used to be.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is this you?

head burst from enlightenment

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

That is actually me IRL yes where did you get my portrait?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Mister Adequate posted:

That is actually me IRL yes where did you get my portrait?

Yeah no lol I'm not this scrub, that isn't a picture of me here are some professional shots I had done:

I am into jazz and zero-summing existence.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

So I had a dream where I was part of an archeological dig. We unearthed ruins of the Sixth House and I started hallucinating stuff like a huge bridge that led into the sunrise (as in the sun rose further the more you progressed along it, not that it faced east).

Then I was told "Sleepers, Awake!". I repeatedly chanted "The Sixth House is risen, and Dagoth is its glory!" and then I met Vivec, who was a bro, but he was befuddled because the archeological dig unearthed a fossilized ape finger and he couldn't handle the fact that we found something like three million years old because Nirn is not that old.

Anyway yeah Sixth House 4lief

This is extremely my poo poo

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Morrowind question, I'm trying to setup MGSO and I get to the final step, "Finish", where it has me launch MGE and set it up. It has me "Configuring MGE GUI...Please wait", I followed everything on the 'Instructions' tab (set up resolution, shaders, distant land, etc.), and now...nothing. Am I supposed to launch Morrowind with MGEUI running? Is it supposed to be doing some stuff in the background that eventually finishes? If I click the X on the 'Morrowind Graphics Extender XE 0.9' it throws up an error and says my installation was not completed.

Is there something I'm missing, something that I need to do to finish my MGSO setup?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mister Adequate posted:

and then I met Vivec, who was a bro

Well, half bro.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Whizbang posted:

Well, half bro.

Would it be brosis or sisbro? Or would we need to do the whole MARTIAL AXIOM UNIQUE IN ALL THE blahdiddy-bloo?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Whizbang posted:

Well, half bro.

Girls can be bros :colbert:

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Any good tips for playing Arena & Daggerfall? Ugh I really hate this 'move the mouse to swing your sword' gimmick.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

greententacle posted:

Any good tips for playing Arena & Daggerfall? Ugh I really hate this 'move the mouse to swing your sword' gimmick.

you are speaking heresy. The multiple ways to swing your sword is the best part of daggerfall.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
HA HA some people actually think their custom sword mesh is worth real money.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Man Whore posted:

you are speaking heresy. The multiple ways to swing your sword is the best part of daggerfall.

Seriously half the fun of that game is using a big flail and smacking things in the face. The other half is making characters.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

A.o.D. posted:

HA HA some people actually think their custom sword mesh is worth real money.

It is a big story, but the Skyrim Mods thread exists, so let's keep the conversation about that particular shitstorm to that thread.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
So, instead of money drama, let's take a lot at how Elder Scrolls Lore was handled before it essentially boiled down to MK and folks who don't belief in meta posting in Reddit and some watered-down action games Bethesda occassionally produces.

I guess most of you are familiar with the 36 Lessons of Vivec. They were written by MK, of course.
Douglas Goodall, another dev, wrote a Lesson 0 to those 36 lessons (a sort of homage and mockery) and they were delivered to the forums. The lesson itself and its interpretation can be found on TIL, but the actual way it was posted isn't preserved there.

But it's on wiwiland, *the* French TES site when Morrowind was the latest game.

Of those people involved only B (and perhaps the two Tong assassins, I dunno) was a forum regular and not a developer.

That company culture has been lost. It will never happen again, but it should be remembered.

(They had such an RP about the Thu'um as well, but that clashes horribly with Skyrim's view on it, so eh.)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Shame. They really used to enjoy interacting with the fans back then. Nowadays they only talk to people in publisher-sanctioned interviews. Only one who really does post with the fans these days is MK and he gets rather pissy about the littlest poo poo.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I kinda wanna replay Oblivion after like 6 years. Is it really that bad as people here say it is (I remember it being fun).

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

For a generic medieval world it certainly has more charm, far better quests and factions, and somewhat more interesting dungeons than Skyrim, so go for it.
A good deal of the complaints were in comparison to previous games and/or the claims from previews and half of those changes were carried over to Skyrim anyway. It's definitely a more similar game to Skyrim than it ever was to Morrowind, so if that's what you're used to/expecting now then it probably won't be much of a shock.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

So my new attempt at an install has mostly succeeded but I need to track down a couple missing textures or meshes, and... this happened. :downs: I can't stop laughing every time I look at it.

hello i am sanit nevervar

me am watch you, dirt.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Cerebulon posted:

For a generic medieval world it certainly has more charm, far better quests and factions, and somewhat more interesting dungeons than Skyrim, so go for it.
A good deal of the complaints were in comparison to previous games and/or the claims from previews and half of those changes were carried over to Skyrim anyway. It's definitely a more similar game to Skyrim than it ever was to Morrowind, so if that's what you're used to/expecting now then it probably won't be much of a shock.

I actually liked Skyrim more than Oblivion in basically every department. But I guess that's a matter of taste, really.

I fully expect a ton of people to show up after this post and show me that they don't apply to this next statement, BUT: in my experience people who started with Morrowind tend to prefer Skyrim over Oblivion, whereas people who started with Oblivion tend to prefer Oblivion over Skyrim. Obviously there are exceptions and so on but it seems to be fairly common and I always found it kind of interesting.

(Dunno about people who started with Arena/Daggerfall :v: I don't see many of them.)

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I started with oblivion and I prefer skyrim, but I actually really appreciate the atmosphere that oblivion has. Yeah its really generic southern/mid europe but they nailed it p good.

Its possible this is nostalgia speaking though.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I started with Morrowind. Skyrim is probably a more solid game overall but I'm not going to get over how absolutely garbage the factions and 80% of the quests were compared to the previous two games.
Corridor dungeons. :argh:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Having started with Oblivion and playing all three unmodded for 100+hours each.

Skyrim is the best to just jump in, make a new character or load an old one, and just tool around or do something really specific.

Morrowind is the best to get lost in the story and really creating and roleplaying your own character.

Oblivion, while it's gameplay features lean more towards Skyrim, is in my opinion smack dab in the middle. More player agency and roleplaying value than Skyrim, easier, more enjoyable start than Morrowind.
Oblivion also has the best DLC though. More bite size than the oldschool full expansion pack style of morrowind. And actually thought out and filled with lore, unlike Skyrim DLC

The reason I focus on early game is because all three are pretty boring lategame, wherein you are a Demigod powerful enough to either be a Daedric Prince, or the Avatar of an Aedra, literally.
Skyrim and Oblivion's levelling means enemies become damage sponges, and Morrowinds lack of levelling means everything dies in one hit, or just from attacking you.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I rather wish the Battlespire wasn't destroyed. I enjoyed that game and I would have liked to see it again.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

ToxicAcne posted:

I kinda wanna replay Oblivion after like 6 years. Is it really that bad as people here say it is (I remember it being fun).

Dude Oblivion was really fun. A lot of internet people just say Oblivion is bad because we followed the pre-release hype campaign closely, and when the game came out we felt Molyneux'd. But despite its flaws Oblivion is a great game. I think it has the best soundtrack out of any TES game for example.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

TresTristesTigres posted:

I think it has the best soundtrack out of any TES game for example.

Yeah Oblivion is chill as gently caress. Morrowind and Skyrim seem pretty stressful to live in when compared to Cyrodil.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Well Southern Vvardenfall seemed pretty fine until the volcano exploded. In Cyrodiil it seemed that farmers always had to worry about goblins coming along and loving poo poo up.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 26, 2015

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Man Whore posted:

Well Southern Vvardenfall seemed pretty fine until the volcano exploded. In Cyrodiil it seemed that farmers always had to worry about goblins coming along and loving poo poo up.

Oh right I forgot about all the goblins. Installing ASIS probably didn't help those hamlets very much. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Is there an active Skyrim thread? I just started playing it for the first time and I can't find one here.