Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

apophenium posted:

This is how my version of Adventures is, hadn't heard of it being a thing before. I'm kind of bummed, but also Adventures is really cool. Only problem is none of the kingdom generators have updated to include it yet!

Yeah, I have the Hasbro print of the base game, which is honestly what prompted me to just sleeve everything, so if Adventures has the same problems it'll be disappointing but not horrible.

I know Randominion on iOS is going to be updating soon-ish with Adventures cards, I tweeted at the developer a couple weeks ago and he had already started programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Jack of all Dominion for Android has Adventures currently.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

The worst submarine posted:

It's fun to roll dice but the base game is you trying to get better numbers than the opponents with very few choices that matter. Like risk but much shorter.

Yeah, fair point. The game changes with the first big expansion, the new scoring rules especially change it up. I'd argue you need Quarmageddon to really have it be any good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Play Can't Stop!, it's the only dice game that matters.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Can't Stop is a very solid game.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

The End posted:

loving do this. Get this sucker to 500 so they can hurry up about reprinting it.

The first three COIN games are already in the GMT pipeline, so you don't need to worry about order numbers (like how Washington's War was just reprinted with 250 orders, and Wilderness War will be reprinted next month with a mighty 35 orders).

The bad news is that they are slated for Q1 2016, so there's a bit of a wait, and there's always the risk that they could get pushed back even further by other games. It may be worth jumping on Falling Sky, the Gallic one, because that's supposed to be another entry level game to the COIN series. That's still a Jan 2016 release date, but it will probably beat Cuba Libre.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ubik_Lives posted:

The first three COIN games are already in the GMT pipeline, so you don't need to worry about order numbers (like how Washington's War was just reprinted with 250 orders, and Wilderness War will be reprinted next month with a mighty 35 orders).

The bad news is that they are slated for Q1 2016, so there's a bit of a wait, and there's always the risk that they could get pushed back even further by other games. It may be worth jumping on Falling Sky, the Gallic one, because that's supposed to be another entry level game to the COIN series. That's still a Jan 2016 release date, but it will probably beat Cuba Libre.

It's not a question of if.

However if the p500 goes up a sizable amount, we won't have to wait another year. So go preorder.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Falling Sky looks interesting but I don't know if I want to buy another big COIN that I'll hardly play.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Regardless of when the reprint will happen everyone should get COIN games cause they own

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Thanks for all the replies! I needed opinions other than "I played it once and it was fun." Thanks game store dude.

What's a COIN game?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Zurui posted:

What's a COIN game?

GMT's series of COunterINsurgency wargames, based on a system by CIA analyst Volko Ruhnke.

All games in the series are designed for four players, and model engagements between traditional forces and guerrilla forces. Notable for having very Euro-inspired, low-luck gameplay mechanisms, and an innovative twist on the "card-driven game" mechanic seen in games like Twilight Struggle.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Recent update on the Apocrypha kickstarter

quote:

We received some news overnight that I think backers of this project will enjoy: the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, which uses a similar game system as Apocrypha, won the 2015 Vanguard Award, along with Marvel Dice Masters. Given out by the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design, the Vanguard Award is the award for the most innovative game of the year.

What

edit
Also, I got some Broken Token stuff today in the post. After having made a few things by go7gaming, I'm loving disappointed. Go7gaming all day errday

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 25, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

signalnoise posted:

Also, I got some Broken Token stuff today in the post. After having made a few things by go7gaming, I'm loving disappointed. Go7gaming all day errday

Really? What did you get, and what was the problem? I've bought a bunch of Broken Token stuff and have been pretty happy with it. And I avoided the Go7Gaming insert for Argent cuz it looked kinda cheap and under-designed in comparison to BT kits.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I like go7gaming slightly better as well. But Broken Token is totally fine. I have hobby lobby inserts by both, and lcg box inserts for both. I have the battlecon and argent go7 inserts and they are pretty sweet, those acrylic dividers are so nice. They end up being a bit heavier though.

The Broken Token stuff would probably come out a lot nicer if you took it under a belt sander real quick with a very fine grain

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Gutter Owl posted:

Really? What did you get, and what was the problem? I've bought a bunch of Broken Token stuff and have been pretty happy with it. And I avoided the Go7Gaming insert for Argent cuz it looked kinda cheap and under-designed in comparison to BT kits.

Hobby Lobby box inserts. It's 1/8" birch with birch inserts instead of HDF and acrylic for the same price. It also doesn't fit my cards nearly as nicely, they're going to bounce around inside.

I mean I'm going to use it, I'm not returning it or anything, but having used laser cut HDF and acrylic, I'm not buying Broken Token a second time.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Played two games new to me at the club meet today.

Finally got a chance to play Race for the Galaxy with actual cards rather than the Windows client. Played two games, losing out on first place both times by only two points. First game I had a lot of Rebel cards and was able to amass a lot of points just off planets and the prestige generated. Second time I had a nice rare & novelty goods production engine going on and amassed 30 of my 49 points just in VP chips. Very good game, see now why people like it so much. Would happily play again.

Later on, sat down for Terra Mystica. Rules explanation took nearly an hour. I started to check out in round 3 and couldn't wait for it to end. While I recognise the mechanics are pretty tight I just found it really dull. What really topped it off was being told while packing up, after three and a half hours of gameplay, "Oh, you were never going to do well with Dwarves anyway."

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Zveroboy posted:

Later on, sat down for Terra Mystica. Rules explanation took nearly an hour. I started to check out in round 3 and couldn't wait for it to end. While I recognise the mechanics are pretty tight I just found it really dull. What really topped it off was being told while packing up, after three and a half hours of gameplay, "Oh, you were never going to do well with Dwarves anyway."

Oh god. Bad rules explanations like these are my pet peeve. No one should ever just start droning on about rules for an hour before playing the game, for any game. I don't care how complex it is. When I teach Terra Mystica, I do it by explaning the general concepts (no more than 10 minutes), then playing one or two mock rounds so people can figure it out. Then I ask them if they want to continue this game or restart into a "real" one.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
^^^Beaten! Curse you, may you draw nothing but Fakirs when you play TM

Zveroboy posted:

Later on, sat down for Terra Mystica. Rules explanation took nearly an hour.

Ew. TMs rules are kind of a mess but that seems extreme. What did they do, run down each faction and give strategy advice? Go over every token in the game? If ever there was a game that called for a cursory rules explanation and a quick practice round, it's TM.

Also, three and a half hours of gameplay? Holy hell, I've seen a game go over an hour and a half once.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Is Pictomania available in the EU/UK anywhere? I'm not seeing anywhere but I'd love to get my hands on it if there's some obscure European store with it.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Zveroboy posted:

What really topped it off was being told while packing up, after three and a half hours of gameplay, "Oh, you were never going to do well with Dwarves anyway."
Terra Mystica is good, your GM is bad. Letting new players lock in to something considered unplayable is bad thing, especially when it's a game known to take 2 hours.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Tekopo posted:

Falling Sky looks interesting but I don't know if I want to buy another big COIN that I'll hardly play.

I tihnk they said it woud be more like Cuba Libre, so you can have a small COIN youll never play :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Some Numbers posted:

Can't Stop is a very solid game.
Agreed. It's pretty literally "press your luck on the bell curve, the game". Hilarious, and can even be turned into a drinking game pretty easily (take a drink each time you bust).

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Zveroboy posted:

Holy poo poo, an hour? How did they do that?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

The Supreme Court posted:

It took my group at least that long to go over it at PAX - although to be fair, none of us had played before and we got through the full game in approximately the same amount of time after figuring it out

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Heads up, Barnes and Noble is having a 50-75% off sale on select board games. You can check online to see if your local stores have specific games and reserve a copy for pickup. I'm grabbing Agricola All Creatures Big and Small tomorrow for $20.

Here's a list of the games on sale:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1349664/bn-spring-2015-red-dot-clearance-sale-50-select-it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dang, my local store doesn't have Descent 2.0 or Agricola. RIP.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i like how the post has to tell people not to have someone scan every game in the store just in case they're on sale

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The Star Wars LCG sale is great, because it covers the only two boxes you want a second copy of, in a way negating this FFG's dubious practice.

Don't listen to grogs pissed off by the simplified deckbuilding, game's mechanics are Eric Lang at his CiTOW strong (If I was feeling cheeky I'd say they're stronger because of no dice involved :smug:).

(It is I, Lichtenstein, the warden of great games nobody plays.)

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

The Supreme Court posted:

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Ew. TMs rules are kind of a mess but that seems extreme. What did they do, run down each faction and give strategy advice? Go over every token in the game? If ever there was a game that called for a cursory rules explanation and a quick practice round, it's TM.

Also, three and a half hours of gameplay? Holy hell, I've seen a game go over an hour and a half once.

Yep, you called it Manatee. All the oval temple/sanctuary tokens were described, as were all the town tokens and every action on every players board. The chap who started off doing the rules talk had to go half-way through to move his car, only to come back 10 minutes later having forgotten his car keys, so he had to go again. His friend (another experienced Terra Mystica player) then took over and explained the remaining things. It wasn't a structured explanation at all, they were bouncing back and forth between different mechanics all the tme and I never got a sense of how each one plays off the other, I had to play to learn that the hard way.

The second thing that dragged it out was one of the newbies (there were three new players (incl. me) and the two experienced guys who did the rules explanation) would start each of his turns by basically asking "What should I do?" so GM's friend would then go through basically every tactical option he had, sometimes outright telling him "You should go here/do this because it'll give you 1 extra point." Against this it's not surprising I came in last because when learning new games I only ask questions if it's something I actually have no idea about, I can pick up the basic mechanics of a game easily enough and I prefer to just play and see what happens.

There was also a loving load of revisionism going on every turn from the other two newbies. poo poo like "Oh, I forgot about getting a temple token two turns ago, can I have it now?" so they then take the set of tokens, look over them, then because they should've had it two turns ago ask if they can now have the missing income in one lump sum. Turns were also taken back even when the next player was in the middle of theirs. GM(s) rolled over every time and let them do it. I realise newbies make mistakes when learning new games but for it to happen on this level was loving ridiculous. I never revise my own moves on principle and I always tell my players that if the board state has moved on by the time they realise a mistake, then tough. If you forgot you could buy a stone off your neighbour in 7 Wonders to build that big card but we're already playing the next hand then hell no, you can't take that back. In this game, I noticed something I could have done instead of passing to get a few extra points, we'd done a whole round of the table by then and I honestly couldn't believe the GM offered me the chance to take back my pass action and do the build instead. We would have had to revise three player's power bowls after they'd already taken their turns.

As for me choosing Dwarves, there was no initial discussion about which races would be best for newbies, the board were just put in the middle and we chose. The other newbies had Halflings and Alchemists, and the two experienced players went with Chaos Priests (Cultists? Not sure, red board anyway) and Nomads (something about a Sandstorm ability?).

Ojetor posted:

Oh god. Bad rules explanations like these are my pet peeve. No one should ever just start droning on about rules for an hour before playing the game, for any game. I don't care how complex it is. When I teach Terra Mystica, I do it by explaining the general concepts (no more than 10 minutes), then playing one or two mock rounds so people can figure it out. Then I ask them if they want to continue this game or restart into a "real" one.

Dummy rounds is something I always do as well. In Concordia, when the first Tribune gets played I do an example scoring and ask if everyone would like to continue or restart. 7 Wonders, we play the first age and again I offer to keep going or restart. Its such a simple thing to do and every game offers some natural pause early on which allows you to reset if players want.

I always put a lot of effort into teaching my games. Hell, when I know I'm going to be teaching a new game that evening I rehearse to myself in the car on the way home from work. I must look like an insane man to the other drivers.

All said, do I want to play Terra Mystica again? If the right people offered, maybe.

-edit- Jesus my spelling is terrible this morning.

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 26, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Thesis: the more times you repeat a rule, the more likely it is someone will get butthurt during the game over you supposedly withdrawing that information from them.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

There are few people I actually want to play with at the local game night precisely because of this sort of thing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Dwarves can work pretty well in TM but newbies will struggle with them. It's kind of a dick move that they didn't tell you about the easy races to begin with.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Countblanc posted:

Dang, my local store doesn't have Descent 2.0 or Agricola. RIP.

Amazon and/or coolstuffinc but you might want to hold off on agricola it's getting a rework and current versions will be obsolete soon.

also all creatures big and small with expansions(for two players), caverna, and le havre (3 or 2 player) are better if you gotta have that uwe.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

Thesis: the more times you repeat a rule, the more likely it is someone will get butthurt during the game over you supposedly withdrawing that information from them.

:eng101: So this is the Architect card. When you play this, you can move your colonists and then build in any cities adjacent to any of your colonists.
[Start game]
:eng101: Okay, so for my first card I'll play the Architect. I move my colonists...and I build in these cites.
:ohdear: I'll play my Architect too. So I move then build, okay. I move here...and build here. Is that right?
:eng101: Spot on. Next player!
:downs: I'll play my Architect too. So I want to build here and here...and now I'll move my guys.
:eng101: You have to move then build.
:downs: You never told us that!

Bubble-T posted:

There are few people I actually want to play with at the local game night precisely because of this sort of thing.

It's a shame really because my two Terra Mystica GMs were really friendly and talkative, but its easy to see the "socially awkward science undergraduate" streak in them. You know the type, the person who has trouble realising that not everyone has the same ability to retain knowledge as them and is afraid to stand up to people and say "No." even to trivial things like someone taking back a turn when, really, it's too late. Playing Race for the Galaxy with them earlier in the day was a blast (no rules explanation required other than just answering the odd question during play) but I don't want to play with them in the future if it's something that's going to last over an hour.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

4outof5 posted:

hold off on agricola it's getting a rework and current versions will be obsolete soon.

Whoa where'd you read this? Any more info? What about the expansions?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

4outof5 posted:

Amazon and/or coolstuffinc but you might want to hold off on agricola it's getting a rework and current versions will be obsolete soon.

also all creatures big and small with expansions(for two players), caverna, and le havre (3 or 2 player) are better if you gotta have that uwe.

I actually meant Big and Small since that's the one on B&N supersale, and I already own Caverna so no worries there

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

4outof5 posted:

They said they're gonna release a new edition that has a shitton of cards in it, I imagine they would be selling those cards separately for people who don't want to buy a new copy of the game, just like how when they went from having cubes to having animeeples included in the box, they didn't just say "welp buy a new box" they said "if you want the animeeples you can buy them separately." So this sentence is misleading and ill-informed.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilChameleon posted:

They said they're gonna release a new edition that has a shitton of cards in it, I imagine they would be selling those cards separately for people who don't want to buy a new copy of the game, just like how when they went from having cubes to having animeeples included in the box, they didn't just say "welp buy a new box" they said "if you want the animeeples you can buy them separately." So this sentence is misleading and ill-informed.

They are going to include the expansion decks in the main box. You can buy the expansion decks now, but no doubt it will cost a lot less to get the whole game then to buy the decks separately. It's not misleading to help someone potentially save money. I would feel kind of annoyed if I picked up Agricola and a new edition came out with like 5x the cards at the same price.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

He said it was getting reworked and the old box would be obsolete. That's completely different man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Heads up, Barnes and Noble is having a 50-75% off sale on select board games. You can check online to see if your local stores have specific games and reserve a copy for pickup. I'm grabbing Agricola All Creatures Big and Small tomorrow for $20.

Here's a list of the games on sale:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1349664/bn-spring-2015-red-dot-clearance-sale-50-select-it

Uh, yeah this has been going on for 20 days now, it leaked on /r/boardgames before it started and made the rounds of BGG and the BGG facebook group as well. I'd be surprised if most stores hadn't been picked clean of the big ticket items by now.