Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Francis posted:

This but unironically. There are some magnificently dumb 'twists' in the game and I wasn't sure if you weren't complaining about the heavy-handed foreshadowing to preserve the surprise or what.

i think my favorite one is soon, if i remember how the story goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
After the battle

Hey, guys! Some fireworks, huh?
I still can't believe you came here alone. I knew you weren't bright, but...
Uh huh. And yet here you are with us. Interesting!
It was crazy! Zeri came busting into class shouting he needed a favor.
It was a lot to ask, but I-I'd never seen Zeri that worked up before.

Thank you, Zeri. We couldn't have made it this far without you. Right, Cosette?
Rnngh....
Cosette?
...Mm? Ah! R-Right.
Thank you, Zeri!
Are you all right? You look awfully pale. You should fall back.
No! I can't! I'm fine... I'll be fine!
Well, tell us if anything comes up. Don't do anything crazy out there.

You have no right to say that to anyone.

I never thought I'd hear that coming from you.
You always have to go and ruin the moment, don't you?

Zeri saved your rear end, you rear end in a top hat. Granted, game-wise it didn't matter but you still charged at a tank platoon with two people.

The enemy is confused, guys. We'll move in and take their camps. ls everybody ready? Let's go take back Cosette's home!

*Meanwhile at a distance*

They're under surprise attack by a group wearing Lanseal colors!
Lanseal, here? They're outside of their jurisdiction.
That is correct, ma'am.
Well, no matter. All who would stand in the way of the revolution must fall.
In casting their lot with the vile usurpers of House Randgriz, they sin. It falls to me to put them to justice, in the name of the Valkyrian flame!
Prepare for battle!
Yes, ma'am!

So June is the only other month outside of the first so far that has multiple story missions. Now our objective is to capture an enemy base in a 4-map mission.

Unfortunately, Cosette is still a mandatory unit so I effectively have 5 deployment for the time being.

Avan will travel in the alley because a tank is in the middle of the area.

Of course, the game's a dick for putting a Gatling Turret right near the end of the alley. Not a problem for shield guys, of course but still. Super dick move.

This map's plan is to have Lavinia travel past a Gatling Turret and carry Marion over to capture this camp.

This opens up a back entrance where Zeri can rush in and take the camp on the left.

On the enemy's turn, Audrey will start off the turn with a defense boost for all her units. Not much of a difference in killing from what I experienced.

Oh yeah, she can also bombard entire maps because her tank has a super howitzer.

Zeri tells us that to avoid the super howitzer, trenches and being indoors prevents damage from it. The damage does about half HP to a Shocktrooper, so it's not too devastating honestly.

With the newly captured base by Zeri, the final plan is to move a unit to the objective. Granted while Audrey is fronting a different camp entrance, a Gatling Turret is covering her back.

So that's why Alexis is going to take over, since Fencers have the best defense plus the shield.

HOLY poo poo THAT TANK

A Rank requirement was 5 turns, but the game seems to not understand how absurd Armor Techs are as base takers in these small maps.

The Army. now?! Rrgh, they're liable to cut off our retreat.
All right... Understood. We'll have no more sacrifice here. All troops, fall back!

Um...
Cosette, I need a hand. The main plaza is flooded with wounded civilians.
What?! C'mon, let's go! *runs towards the injured*
Huh?! Wait, Avan!

Uh...Avan, did you drag us out here on a very likely suicide mission to save...this? Or what's left of it?

*cries of wounded civilians*

I...
Cosette, this man needs immediate attention. Here, I'll help.

Cosette? What's the matter? We need to hurry!
No... I'm scared! I... I can't! I can't help them!
Pull it together, Cosette! You're an engineer, right? You want to be a doctor!

Um, what

I can't... Blood scares me... Red scares me!

Um, what???

Cosette, you... Are you saying you're colorblind?
But wait. You've treated me plenty of times before! Just remember what you did then! You can do it. These people need you!
No. I... I'm too scared... If I mess up, all these people will die!
No way. *cocks gun*

What...what is he doing

Avan, don't!

*BANG*

DID HE JUST loving SHOOT HIMSELF?!?!

DID HE SERIOUSLY JUST loving SHOOT HIMSELF?!?!

Heh heh... So, am I gonna die here?
Are you crazy?!

gently caress THIS GAME

Crazy if I... thought you wouldn't save me...
What?
You said you wanted to be like... your dad. Did you mean that?
Yes, I did.
Then don't... give up. You've still got a... long way to go... Doc...You can save me... Save all these people...I have... f-faith in...*faints*
Avan? Avan?! AVAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Aaaaaand Cosette gets a Potential that ends her turn as soon as a single bullet touches her. What a great and terrific day it has been.

You idiot!
Wha--?! That's a pretty harsh thing to wake up to!

Shut the hell up.

It's the truth! How could you shoot yourself?! How could you do that to me?

But here I am, all patched up. You saved me.
Somehow. I didn't know what I was looking at half the time!
Well, thanks.
...You're welcome. And thank you, too, I guess.

I'm so tired. All this has exhausted me.

I won't run away from my demons anymore. I promise.

But...then...why did you gain a lovely Potential...

But I want you to promise me something, too.
Promise you what?
That you'll never think it's okay to sacrifice yourself for your squad. That you'll never pull another stunt like that again. Risking your life in the field and throwing it away to be noble are different.
I know that you've experienced the pain of losing someone. too.
I'm sorry, Cosette... I promise. I'm swing to keep fighting for my squad and for a peaceful Gallia.
We'll grow old and compare stories about all this someday. Okay?
Okay!

Enemy vehicles

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

i think my favorite one is soon, if i remember how the story goes

ahah yeah this was it

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
At this point I think Avan is secretly aware he is the main character and is just doing whatever the hell he wants because he knows he can't die.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
He's a fencer, that bullet did, like, three points of damage, tops.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That was the stupidest plot point I've ever seen.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
it's some good poo poo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be fair, they live in a world where all wounds can be magically healed instantly by holding up a radioactive rock.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

in my memory this sequence of events also cured her color blindness, and so i'm disappointed that it's somewhat less dumb that i remembered

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
... Well

That Geirolul sure is an awesome looking tank, huh guys?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Cake Attack posted:

in my memory this sequence of events also cured her color blindness, and so i'm disappointed that it's somewhat less dumb that i remembered

hold this post close to your heart while you wait for it to bloom into a beautiful flower

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
I still think that theses writers aren't *that* bad, it feels like they were two groups and one told to write about the drama of high schoolers and the other told write serious war drama, and they decided to awkwardly clump them together. If the game wrote decided to go all serious war drama dealing with the youth and going into war drama, like this Cossette drama here is actually somewhat competently written if it didn't contrast with the classmate missions whole heartily it could have worked. Heck if it went Advance Wars "war is fun" kind of route, with the cut out characters it be at least tonally consistent and not too cringe worthy. Actually if the game put all the classmate anime drama stuff for the first part of the game, then evolving into a more serious game after that point, with character development focusing on the effects of war particularly with dealing youth having to be soldier, it honestly probably fail the depth it go for but we could give it credit for a good vision at least.

Clarste posted:

Huh, so you don't even know that word is secretly longer word? How will you be able to judge exactly how cliche the plot is?

Actually they did actually do *one* thing that somewhat surprised me during the plot, but more in the "I should have seen it coming, but I didn't" category.

Also I'm gonna give them a break on the whole colorblindness thing in that her colorblindness probably isn't an actual issue with her eye but some bizarre reaction to emotional trauma that's giving her colorblindness somehow (the closest thing I can actually find is Cerebral achromatopsia buts thats only caused by physical trauma or illness as far as I can tell).

The thing I want to know is how she got into the academy, shouldn't they have a colorblindness test.

weso12 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 26, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Remember what Cosette's room looked like earlier? That was a brief clue hinting at her colour blindness.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Ahahaha holy gently caress

I can't stop laughing at this jesus christ

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
AHAHHAHAHA

So we're gonna start bumping off enemy commanders soon, right?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yo, Tae did you kill the tank? 'cause if you been skipping out on murdering them folks first time you can, that's skipping content that's actually neat, rather than worthless like the skits.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yo, Tae did you kill the tank? 'cause if you been skipping out on murdering them folks first time you can, that's skipping content that's actually neat, rather than worthless like the skits.

What, an extra cutscene or something or just gear?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

It just struck me how perfectly Iron Man would fit into the VC-verse. He even already has the magical blue power source!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Pureauthor posted:

Remember what Cosette's room looked like earlier? That was a brief clue hinting at her colour blindness.

And remember when Aliasse kicked a soccer ball into Avan's head, he got blood on it, and Cosette had to sniff it just to figure out what it was? Didn't that make anyone suspicious?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

BlazeEmblem posted:

And remember when Aliasse kicked a soccer ball into Avan's head, he got blood on it, and Cosette had to sniff it just to figure out what it was? Didn't that make anyone suspicious?

Anime has taught me that Japanese sniff the belongings of other people as part of their mating ritual.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A whole map what the gently caress!?

Oh you can hide under buildings, okay that's a neat challenge wonder who the boss i-

quote:

Whoah she has a loving Katyusha!

quote:

I changed my mind. This game is amazing.
(Also that is a super bad place to be shot, Avan)

quote:

I gave them the benefit of the doubt about the laundry thing, but the comment confirms that it was just a quirk to show that "no no, despite being boy-ish, she is still a good girl who can do wifely girl things" :sigh:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is Avan shooting himself a metaphor for the game shooting itself in the foot?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

What, an extra cutscene or something or just gear?
A line and gear, from what I remember.

Still, what's life without challenges or pain?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
This potential pretty much put Cosette as a backliner until later on, her potential was all defensive anyway, she is at the moment a strict healer which would be great if we actually have to hold ground and face infinite respawns.

weso12 posted:

I still think that theses writers aren't *that* bad, it feels like they were two groups and one told to write about the drama of high schoolers and the other told write serious war drama, and they decided to awkwardly clump them together. If the game wrote decided to go all serious war drama dealing with the youth and going into war drama, like this Cossette drama here is actually somewhat competently written if it didn't contrast with the classmate missions whole heartily it could have worked. Heck if it went Advance Wars "war is fun" kind of route, with the cut out characters it be at least tonally consistent and not too cringe worthy. Actually if the game put all the classmate anime drama stuff for the first part of the game, then evolving into a more serious game after that point, with character development focusing on the effects of war particularly with dealing youth having to be soldier, it honestly probably fail the depth it go for but we could give it credit for a good vision at least.

Actually they did actually do *one* thing that somewhat surprised me during the plot, but more in the "I should have seen it coming, but I didn't" category.

Also I'm gonna give them a break on the whole colorblindness thing in that her colorblindness probably isn't an actual issue with her eye but some bizarre reaction to emotional trauma that's giving her colorblindness somehow (the closest thing I can actually find is Cerebral achromatopsia buts thats only caused by physical trauma or illness as far as I can tell).

The thing I want to know is how she got into the academy, shouldn't they have a colorblindness test.

High school drama is fine if it is the debauchery type antics, underage drinking! Civies vs military brats! And Generation Kill style antics!

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 26, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

gyrobot posted:

This potential pretty much put Cosette as a backliner until later on, her potential was all defensive anyway, she is at the moment a strict healer which would be great if we actually have to hold ground and face infinite respawns.

... Don't you? Or is that just in three?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cosette isn't even a great healer, when Avan currently can heal as an Armor Tech Vet and has the 2nd highest defense with the highest HP. Also healing is useless when the one good CP costs only 1 to restore health.

Speaking of Orders

Why the hell would I ever use this.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I could understand if status ailments were super powerful in this game, but as is your time is better spent using that 2 CP to shoot the enemy in the face a whole bunch.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student

Tae posted:

Cosette isn't even a great healer, when Avan currently can heal as an Armor Tech Vet and has the 2nd highest defense with the highest HP. Also healing is useless when the one good CP costs only 1 to restore health.

Speaking of Orders

Why the hell would I ever use this.

I'm going to guess it might be useful for using statuses to defeat enemies that are far too powerful for you to take on normally, but that gives to much credit to the game for making bosses that require creativity to figure out how to beat.

Increasing chance of status for 2 CP, did the game designers not understand that you need actually tanky enemies that take a bunch of hits to make status's worthwhile, or like enemies that 1HKO everybody? Honestly if a 2 CP command made it so that for the turn all units inflict every status effect on an enemy when they hit them, it might not but worse it even then.

weso12 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 26, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

weso12 posted:

I'm going to guess it might be useful for using statuses to defeat enemies that are far too powerful for you to take on normally, but that gives to much credit to the game for making bosses that require creativity to figure out how to beat.
Your grave mistake is thinking that bosses aren't always immune to any status effects. I don't actually know if they are in this game but I can't imagine they wouldn't be.

SSNeoman posted:

I changed my mind. This game is amazing.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt about the laundry thing, but the comment confirms that it was just a quirk to show that "no no, despite being boy-ish, she is still a good girl who can do wifely girl things" :sigh:
Katyusha?
Also, gently caress Japan forever.

Pureauthor posted:

... Well

I know, I want to show it to tank spergs and listen to them complain about it for half an hour. :allears:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Is Avan shooting himself the dumbest this game gets?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

... Well

SSNeoman posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T34_Calliope

There's always a stupid sherman variant out there for the occasion!

But the question is how often can she do the bombardment in the mission? Because those tubes would need to be externally reloaded with a small crane after each time. And not to mention that while you have strict weight limits on your tanks enemy bosses give no fucks.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah the original song is where the original vehicle got its nickname from. Katyusha is a diminutive form of the name Yekaterina (Like Katie for Katherine), and the song itself is about a woman wishing for her husband to safely return from war. So naturally it was a perfect name for a vehicle whose strategy is "Use rockets, followed by more rockets, followed by more rockets. Repeat until the enemy is replaced with craters".

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

And you guys said the writing wasn't funny bad, haha

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Who ever said Goon Squad was the wrong choice for the squad name please eat your hat.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Is Avan shooting himself the dumbest this game gets?
Have any y'all seen that documentary about Miyazaki, the Ghibli dude? "Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" ? It has this very memorable part where he's making GBS threads on the new crop of dudes in the field because they're so otaku they're completely reality deprived.

That scene is like, one of the most concrete examples of that I can think of.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

weso12 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachypsychia

Closest thing I could find without looking really hard. The problem is, at least according to wikipedia, the colorblindness is temporary (as in it should end when the symptoms do). Unless Cossette's been experiencing tachyphychia ever since the incident.

If we really want to go all Dr House on this (which is actually kind of fun), my favorite theory is that the trauma triggered a seizure that damaged the occipital lobe as well as the rest of her cerebral cortex, turning her into a dumbass.

More realistically, it's probably trauma induced color agnosia, where the eye sees colors fine but the brain can't recognize or identify them. The idiocy is just an unconnected symptom in that case.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BioMe posted:

And you guys said the writing wasn't funny bad, haha

okay this is an exception

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this game would be way better if it were a girls und panzer game instead

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

drat, this update

drat this update

this update?

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Wait, isn't colorblindness something that excludes one from service, like asthma or flat feet, or is that just exclusion from a draft?

• Locked thread