Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Suspicious Dish posted:

hi thread, today i got chewed out by an extremely unstable developer in the foss graphics space

http://libv.livejournal.com/27461.html

I saw that on p.fd.o yesterday and thought about posting it here. then i looked into it way too much and decided it was just sad. :(

as near as i can tell, ages ago he wrote an open source ati driver, then some other people wrote a different ati driver for some reason, and their's won. and it broke him?

i can't even point and laugh at that. that's just someone is real need of therapy. sucks it doesn't sound like he's getting any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
this guy has a track record of just being insane and believing that people are in a giant conspiracy against him. he's incredibly difficult to work with

note that he wasn't involved in the conversation at this point, and when i used the word "tainted", i was mostly making a joke to all the other graphics people since while it's not tainted by license, they all understand that nobody is going near that codebase ever since the project is run by him and nobody wants to work with him

they all got that like right away

if i was a company and wanted to squash any open-source driver of my hardware, i don't think i could have done a better job than libv

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

hi thread, today i got chewed out by an extremely unstable developer in the foss graphics space

http://libv.livejournal.com/27461.html

Here's my favorite part:

code:
13:01 #dri-devel: < Jasper> there's still code somewhere on a certain person's hard disk he
                  won't release because he's mad about things and the other project contributors
                  all quit

quote:

Also, "all" the contributors to Lima did not quit. I am still there

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I used the built-in updater to upgrade Ubuntu on my Linux/Haiku box from 14.10 to 15.04. the process appeared to go smoothly.

upon restart, it forgot what its root volume was, could not re-mount it readwrite during startup, and as a result was unable to boot to its cargo-cult facsimile of a decent user interface.

I had to use one of the recovery options in grub to use upstart instead of systemd to boot to a point where I could edit /etc/fstab and tell it the correct UUID of the root volume, which for some reason someone thinks is reasonable to record in a file on the loving root volume

now networking doesn't come up until a bit after the first interactive login on console. good thing I'm not using this as a server.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Soricidus posted:

try latex next

i did the first version in markdown, and i feel a lot more positively about latex as a result

because i mean at least latex is good for something

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

upon restart, it forgot what its root volume was, could not re-mount it readwrite during startup, and as a result was unable to boot to its cargo-cult facsimile of a decent user interface.

lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Ubuntu is moving away from the deb package format to snappy, which I have never heard of.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
do they still sell your personal computer usage patterns to amazon

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I used the built-in updater to upgrade Ubuntu on my Linux/Haiku box from 14.10 to 15.04. the process appeared to go smoothly.

I had to use one of the recovery options in grub to use upstart instead of systemd to boot to a point where I could edit /etc/fstab and tell it the correct UUID of the root volume, which for some reason someone thinks is reasonable to record in a file on the loving root volume

now networking doesn't come up until a bit after the first interactive login on console. good thing I'm not using this as a server.

ubuntu is trash

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Ubuntu is moving away from the deb package format to snappy, which I have never heard of.

snappy is not necessarily a bad idea, but i sure don't trust ubuntu to deliver anything that sophisticated

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I've always said that the only thing holding linux back from mass adoption is that there just aren't enough different package formats

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm upgrading to 15.04 right now guys. It will allow me to get the latest advertisements from amazon straight to my start screen knock off. Wish me luck!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Hmmm, I think its stuck.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'm upgrading to 15.04 right now guys. It will allow me to get the latest advertisements from amazon straight to my start screen knock off. Wish me luck!

"Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others"

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others"

How could I have possibly known this was going to happen. 15.04 is a new version number. I know I had issues upgrading from 4.10, 5.04, 5.10, 6.4, 6.10.......14.10.
My parents machine has like five packages installed outside of the base, and it always works. Go figure.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Quote not edit.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I figured it out. It created a minimized dialog window.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
ubuntu is trash, no question

been very satisfied with kubuntu though, for the last several years

running 15.04 on my laptop and 14.04 everywhere else, 14.10 wasnt big enough to push me off a LTS release, but plasma 5 and systemd are neat

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I figured it out. It created a minimized dialog window.

lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
OK Guys, just came back from volunteering to help feed hungry hillbillies. Going to restart now. Lets see the glory of Kubuntu 15.04!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
The new six minute boot time is really impressive.

Edit:

The plasma 5 icons look sharp, and clash with the old kde category menus nicely.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 25, 2015

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
Hello, I've come to the YOSPOS Linux mock thread to announce that systemd is the Obamacare of Unix. That it all.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

eschaton posted:

I just wipe everything except my home directory and re-install. I assume that no one at Canonical has ever actually used the upgrade system except via an automated test on a machine that only has the base stuff installed from a previous release.

I look forward to the upcoming multiple pages of configuration management discussion in the desktop linux thread.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Byde posted:

Hello, I've come to the YOSPOS Linux mock thread to announce that systemd is the Obamacare of Unix. That it all.

i agree that systemd makes some important steps towards improving life for linuxes but is an incomplete solution

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Byde posted:

:chanpop:

Much like network manager, pulse audio and resolvconf, I assume that systemd is just how things are going to be now and we're just going to have to patch in the stuff that we think is missing.

Resolvconf is a nightmare to debug, though. If I have DNS issues, that thing is the first to go before I even start pinging anything.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i agree that systemd makes some important steps towards improving life for linuxes but is an incomplete solution

and it's hated a bunch of completely insane people because it "attacks their freedom" or some dumb poo poo like that

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That's ok, it's just a framework for how we will integrate bespoke solutions for your particular corner cases.

Gonna add a plugin to make sure a quake server is always on PID 4 and running that crazy gravity changing level because you never know.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

celeron 300a posted:

I just wipe everything except my home directory and re-install. I assume that no one at Canonical has ever actually used the upgrade system except via an automated test on a machine that only has the base stuff installed from a previous release.

I look forward to the upcoming multiple pages of configuration management discussion in the desktop linux thread.

turns out it was having virtualbox installed that hosed my networking

uninstall virtualbox, networking works at startup. install virtualbox, networking only works after interactive login.

Linux.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Byde posted:

this makes launchd Scandinavian-model social welfare, doesn't it?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

uninstall virtualbox, networking works at startup. install virtualbox, networking only works after interactive login.

Linux.

don't use virtualbox, it's bad

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

eschaton posted:

Linux.
oracle'd again

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

virtualbox lmao. garbage

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

eschaton posted:

what is communism

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

i did the first version in markdown, and i feel a lot more positively about latex as a result

because i mean at least latex is good for something

markdown is for tricking developers into writing documentation, not actual documents

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

it makes launchd into post-soviet east bloc healthcare

ostensibly the hospitals are free but i hope you brought your own IV bags, bandages, dressings, and bribes for the nurses

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

bobbilljim posted:

i wrote my latest resume with openoffice and only contemplated ending it all 2 or 3 times

I wrote my resume in LibreOffice and got it formatted all nicely and didn't get a call back. Then I had my girlfriend open it in MS Word and it was formatted like hot garbage.

Soricidus posted:

try latex next

Then I did this, applied to a higher position in the same exact department, and got an offer.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

CPColin posted:

I wrote my resume in LibreOffice and got it formatted all nicely and didn't get a call back. Then I had my girlfriend open it in MS Word and it was formatted like hot garbage.
i usually just export all my important docs as pdf.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CPColin posted:

I wrote my resume in LibreOffice and got it formatted all nicely and didn't get a call back. Then I had my girlfriend open it in MS Word and it was formatted like hot garbage

this happens even between versions of microsoft office

it's just a really bad document format

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zom Aur posted:

especially when making resumes, because lovely recruiters will alter your Word documents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Zom Aur posted:

always do this