Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Show continues to be super loving stylish. If it continues in this vein it'll easily be best of the season.

And I can't get enough of the ED.

e: I'm going to need to rewatch this episode, though, 'cause I think some of the finer points may have slipped by me. Luckily that will be anything but a chore.

Actually, I think I'll just rewatch the whole show with a friend once it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kind of feeling I should try reading the manga, I'm enjoying the anime for it stylishness but breakneck pacing is putting it mildly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This is actually the first episode that cut a ton out of the orginal story. Originally the opening was all about the dude vampire, it starts from his perspective as a baby faced mafia dude fresh off the boat in the city, him striking up a relationship with an outerworld woman, him being betrayed by his mafia associates to be used as a sacrifice for theit own barganing chips, but the person they were sacrificing him to had been the same outer woman, who had just been in disguise the whole time. She was really a vampire, she turns him into a vampire and kills off the mafia, abd only then does the story switch to the protaganists side of things.

In exchange you get the incredible drunk party with all the fast cuts and honestly it's not something id really want to trade back.

Also the lucky bits were incredible.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I watched the party scene at least a half dozen times. The show does not skimp on the little things.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My favorite bit of the party was drunk zap bumping into kk and kk dragiing him off.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Having read the first two volumes, this was the first story I thought kinda suffered from cut material, though only mildly so (mostly Tonio stuff). In general I'd say a lot of the anime's cuts are in service of a sleeker, more fine-tuned experience, with the unfortunate loss of a lot of little character moments.

Glad they kept Lucky Abram's "If you feel like you're gonna die" speech. Didn't think they'd cut it, but you never know.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Having read the first two volumes, this was the first story I thought kinda suffered from cut material, though only mildly so (mostly Tonio stuff). In general I'd say a lot of the anime's cuts are in service of a sleeker, more fine-tuned experience, with the unfortunate loss of a lot of little character moments.

Glad they kept Lucky Abram's "If you feel like you're gonna die" speech. Didn't think they'd cut it, but you never know.

I'd say if anything the decision to cut his story actually let then do way more cast interaction stuff this episode. The big loss is in it's pacing, because the vampires very much so come out of nowhere, where in the original story there' more of a slow mysterious build up as you view it from an alternative perspective.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, more cast chemistry was sacrificed in previous episodes compared to this one specifically.

Nice to see Patrick finally getting introduced.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, poo poo. Newark was the least-annoying-to-get-to international airport in my area, looks like I've gotta got to Philly now.

In all seriousness, that was one of the most entertaining things of anything I've ever watched ever. EVER. As good as Ore Monogatari is, I think this show will end up being my favorite of the season, if not the year.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sakurazuka posted:

Kind of feeling I should try reading the manga, I'm enjoying the anime for it stylishness but breakneck pacing is putting it mildly.
I get the feeling the director picked up a book on conventional pacing, flipped through it for a couple seconds, said "screw that" and threw it out the window.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Man I'm not sure which is worse, Japanese speakers trying to pronounce "Yggdrasil" or translators who've apparently been slacking on their mythology trying to transliterate it.

Good episode, though!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Poor K K

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Man I'm not sure which is worse, Japanese speakers trying to pronounce "Yggdrasil" or translators who've apparently been slacking on their mythology trying to transliterate it.

Good episode, though!

You missed the joke - it was a mash-together of 'Yggdrasil' and the 'Grand' in Grand Central Station.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The spread where they reveal Yggdrasil Station is probably my single favorite image from the original comics.

I think they did it justice in the anime.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think it's pretty hilarious that the bottom of weird, jazzy Cthulhu Hell is apparently just populated by vampires.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's just vampires all the way down.

Speaking of which, nice of them to keep the Hellsing nod.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Darth Walrus posted:

You missed the joke - it was a mash-together of 'Yggdrasil' and the 'Grand' in Grand Central Station.

"Yggdrashiad" doesn't really look or sound anything like "Grand." :shobon:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Also since White is apparently anime original does the manga just have absolutely no overarching plot at all?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Yggdrashiad" doesn't really look or sound anything like "Grand." :shobon:

It does if you add an 'n'. Which, helpfully, doesn't change the pronunciation much, either.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Also I just ordered the first 4 volumes good work Nightow/Matsumoto and good work Sharky making sure I didn't miss out on Nightow/Matsumoto.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Used or new? I went used and it seems like Dark Horse went through a few redesign cycles.

If new, please post whether or not the spines line up.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The first things Amazon gave me, so new probably, didn't check.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Who voices Lucky Abrams? He sounds really really familiar.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Used or new? I went used and it seems like Dark Horse went through a few redesign cycles.

If new, please post whether or not the spines line up.

Vol 1 has a different style but all the books after are standardized.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lucky Abrams is Akio Ohtsuka, who is in everything.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=832

I probably recognize his voice as Uvogin from HxH.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Vol 1 has a different style but all the books after are standardized.
The three volumes I picked up all have different spines. Ibram posted his own collection and the spines change again later on.

I just want an aesthetically uniform shelf and am prepared to make poor financial decisions to obtain it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

The three volumes I picked up all have different spines. Ibram posted his own collection and the spines change again later on.

I just want an aesthetically uniform shelf and am prepared to make poor financial decisions to obtain it.

Oh! Mine are all the same except for 1, lucky.

Starting from 6 they added a dark horse logo insert at the very top but the typeface and styling is still identical otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The anime missed a bit on just why Vampires, at least the Elder ones, are so room-silencing scary. You remember the Femt's Flea in the first episode with the Gate in it? That's supposed to be some really good and clever magic. Vampires are humans who have arcane code scrawled precisely right on their very DNA. Basically whoever did that is someone that everyone would very much like to never ever meet or see.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

They gloss over it briefly in one of the data file transitions, but yeah, the full terror of vampires in this world is only sort-of implied in the anime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

They gloss over it briefly in one of the data file transitions, but yeah, the full terror of vampires in this world is only sort-of implied in the anime.

Lucky Abrahm's too. He's not under just "A" curse, he's been cursed repeatedly by everything. Leo even gets a look at him with his Eyes and he's got all kinds of nasties swarming around him. All trying their damnedest to do him in and he's still standing untouched.

That said, I loved Sonic having a drink and eating peanuts at the party :allears:. It really needed a two-episode spread though, because the Vampires just kinda pop up out of nowhere at the end of this episode.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I have high hopes for zetsubou-sensei san

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lucky Abrahm's too. He's not under just "A" curse, he's been cursed repeatedly by everything. Leo even gets a look at him with his Eyes and he's got all kinds of nasties swarming around him. All trying their damnedest to do him in and he's still standing untouched.

That said, I loved Sonic having a drink and eating peanuts at the party :allears:. It really needed a two-episode spread though, because the Vampires just kinda pop up out of nowhere at the end of this episode.

Abrahms is great and I think they captured him perfectly in this episode. I agree that this really could've used a two-parter for a bit more world building, though for what it was, I think it did get across that the blood breeds ain't nothin to gently caress with. In particular the part about nobody but Leo even being able to see their attacks.

Also somebody please gif Leo and Zapp screaming in terror from the next episode's preview. Also also OP and ED still great.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 26, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If anything the next episode is the one that deserves the two parter anyways.

Maximum hype.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I hope if they make sure to keep any dumb joke they keep everybody falling for how gorgeous and nice Hammer is and Zap being disgusted by that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Just finished reading the third volume.

Gonna be genuinely disappointed if they completely cut out Stephen's terrace party/Zap's cat hunt/Chain's drinking game. Probably my favorite story so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Abrahms is great and I think they captured him perfectly in this episode. I agree that this really could've used a two-parter for a bit more world building, though for what it was, I think it did get across that the blood breeds ain't nothin to gently caress with.

Also somebody please gif Leo and Zapp screaming in terror from the next episode's preview. Also also OP and ED still great.

Oh most definitely, all I'm doing is adding the extra stuff as trivia. On the whole it's a really good adaptation, they just have a bad habit of generalizing what was some really nice extra detail in the manga. I really like how they're keeping the anime stuff on its own near the start and end of the episodes too. I don't think they're interfering or anything, just that they're nice little vignettes of Leonardo encountering stuff on his own outside of work.

Bad Seafood posted:

Just finished reading the third volume.

Gonna be genuinely disappointed if they completely cut out Stephen's terrace party/Zap's cat hunt/Chain's drinking game. Probably my favorite story so far.

They're all semi-interconnected, so I wouldn't be surprised if that turns into a single episode.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're all semi-interconnected, so I wouldn't be surprised if that turns into a single episode.
They already constitute a single chapter in the manga, but the anime seems to be jumping ahead to Brody & Hammer.

Fortunately none of these stories since the first one have been particularly timeline sensitive, so there's always the hope they could work it in later.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

They already constitute a single chapter in the manga, but the anime seems to be jumping ahead to Brody & Hammer.

Fortunately none of these stories since the first one have been particularly timeline sensitive, so there's always the hope they could work it in later.

Considering there's only twelve episodes, they probably just want to get all the characters onscreen sooner.

There is actually one thing I wasn't really a fan of with this episode; You get a look at the Elder Vampire lady's wings in the manga rather than just Leo commenting on seeing them as the train goes by, and they look mostly like a mist of red sparkling lights surrounding her. And when Leo gazes down into the Beyond later it's just all twinkling red mist down below. I just thought that was a lot more subtle and a more ominous than red bat wings popping up.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The color design and framing of the show is fantastic but there's some realities you can't escape, detail is never going to able to match Nightow's art exactly and still retain the animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The sound design for the Leo staring into the abyss scene was actually I think the best work they've done so far though, usually the audio mixing seems low or muted in a detrimental way.

• Locked thread