Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Einander posted:

Unfortunately...
I don't think we know that for sure yet :shh:

Update on last page, you also might want to move it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Let's be real though, it's obviously the loving egg.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

After looking at the sprite, he is holding the Egg.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Someone's going to ask this so we might as well get it out of the way now: No, that is not Rich Knights taken over by the Egg. He is just unnamed dude with Egg and of no relation to anyone we've seen so far.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Either it's the Egg or we've got an entirely different malevolent force of nature also walking around and calling humans "herd animals." Let's be optimistic!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Or a horribly twisted person.
Either or.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dis astranagant posted:

Someone's going to ask this so we might as well get it out of the way now: No, that is not Rich Knights taken over by the Egg. He is just unnamed dude with Egg and of no relation to anyone we've seen so far.

In fairness, we have absolutely no way of actually knowing that outside of supplemental materials (and yeah, supplemental materials confirm that it isn't him) since the guy just custom-tailored his sprite form to fit the rumors as needed.

But there's several reasons why Fake Gustave can't be Rich, really, the most prominent of those being that Rich isn't half the spellcaster his father was, whereas this gent here has already flexed more magical muscle than Misty ever did, even if he's under the Egg's control.

Also, there's an enormous amount of irony in the fact that a spellcaster with a malevolent Quell is going around impersonating a guy with no anima whatsoever.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I never really thought Fake Gustave was Rich, since if he was Rich, logic dictates he'd already have the Egg.

Einander posted:

Subordinates, eh... Yet, I see that none are suitable here...

More importantly, is Fake Gustave talking here, or is The Egg? :tinfoil:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well holy poo poo. I'd read about the Fake Gustave part of the game (just enough to know it existed) but I was really puzzled what the point of it was. Seeing it now, it makes sense.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 26, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dareon posted:

Gavelkiiiind :argh:

(It is a Crusader Kings joke)

e: Deceitful Penguiiiin :argh:
Ahhhhhhhahahaha!

Or a horribly twisted person.
Either or.
Well, it isn't far off how bunch of rulers thought/think about their subjects, so it could well have not been the egg.

To be honest, unless they play this well I sorta wish it wasn't. Egg is meh, compared to political intrigue and whatnot.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TARDISman posted:

More importantly, is Fake Gustave talking here, or is The Egg? :tinfoil:
At this point I'm almost certain the Egg is taking direct and full control over the host. The things that it says make no real sense for a human to say, and the way Fake Gustave behaves speaks to a very inhuman intellect. It just kinda asks how it can become Gustave, like that's just a thing that's possible, and when people deride it for what it lacks it's like "OK I'll just go get those."

If I had to guess, Fake Gustave was already considering becoming a Gustave impersonator, and the Egg just sort of took that idea and ran with it once it possessed him. But unlike with Misty/the pirate/Alexei, I think the Egg is in charge now. Humans, after all, aren't much use. Much use for what though? :tinfoil:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Nakar posted:

At this point I'm almost certain the Egg is taking direct and full control over the host. The things that it says make no real sense for a human to say, and the way Fake Gustave behaves speaks to a very inhuman intellect. It just kinda asks how it can become Gustave, like that's just a thing that's possible, and when people deride it for what it lacks it's like "OK I'll just go get those."

If I had to guess, Fake Gustave was already considering becoming a Gustave impersonator, and the Egg just sort of took that idea and ran with it once it possessed him. But unlike with Misty/the pirate/Alexei, I think the Egg is in charge now. Humans, after all, aren't much use. Much use for what though? :tinfoil:

I think at this point, the Egg is also tired of its hosts getting in its way. It's not planning on having to wait again to achieve its goal, so it's going straight for the jugular this time.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Egg vs the real Gustave would have been hilarious, he would have been straight up immune.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Ardeem posted:

Egg vs the real Gustave would have been hilarious, he would have been straight up immune.

Now I'm imagining Gustave finding it, thinking, "what an unusually pretty rock," and using it as a paperweight. He keeps losing cleaning staff to sudden inexplicable bouts of insanity, though. Maybe he'd take it down to the smithery and sanding it down for use in a pommel decoration or something.

The most inglorious end for an ancient evil artifact.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Deceitful Penguin posted:

To be honest, unless they play this well I sorta wish it wasn't. Egg is meh, compared to political intrigue and whatnot.

It's rather like FFT's Zodiac Stones in that regard. A nice, interesting political thriller, full of backstabbing, plotting, and occasional suicidal teenagers (Rafa they are trying to assassinate you, do not charge them), derailed and derailed HARD because these intensely powerful mystic artifacts exist and why would you want to do politics when you can punch monsters?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

At this point I like the Egg getting involved because it feels kind of horrifying. We know how powerful and dangerous the thing is and now it is looking to get into politics. :tinfoil:

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Einander posted:

Now I'm imagining Gustave finding it, thinking, "what an unusually pretty rock," and using it as a paperweight. He keeps losing cleaning staff to sudden inexplicable bouts of insanity, though. Maybe he'd take it down to the smithery and sanding it down for use in a pommel decoration or something.

The most inglorious end for an ancient evil artifact.

How the Soul Edge was created.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Edelritter (1301)
Sargon heads to the quarry to exterminate the monsters that infest the village.
1301 Sargon, the first Edelritter
Fake Gustave's loyal and powerful vassals, the Edelritter, are born.

Notably, this is one of the few Gustave scenarios that doesn't already have a corresponding Chronicle entry--it's filled in only after you complete it.

(The Homeless)

This map area is from the outskirts of Hahn Nova, but I'm guessing they're just reusing already-existing maps; it'd be odd for a small village to be that close to Hahn Nova, considering the area is kind of a perpetual warzone. Everyone wants to own partytown.

Not again. The monsters there never cease, no matter how many times we fight them off.

(Fortress)

It's been a while since we've seen Sargon, hasn't it?

He's aged from 15 to 31 and gained +122 HP (360-482), +1 LP (8->9), +16 WP (54->70), and +2 SP (37->39). He's also passed the -1 WPR age (3->2).

The years have done him a lot of good--his regens are a little low, and he could use more weapon skill, but he's definitely strong.

Greta and Watts, not so much. There's a reason Sargon's starting role is Decoy, because the other two can't fight their way out of a paper bag. Like William (Labelle's brother, who became the Megalith Beast)...

...they have the little "mook" designator in the Battle Roles menu and use a war battle sprite (a generic soldier for William/Watts, an archer for Greta). They don't appear in the equip reclaimer, and you can't enter any duels with them--they're grayed out in the "chose how to fight" screen.

Like William, Watts comes with the Heavy Attack role. Greta's Diplomat increases the odds of some of the "run away" commands working. I give William Commander and Greta Leader but don't change their equipment; they're nigh-useless, so I may as well have them buff Sargon's stats, and I don't want to risk losing anything.

(Watts is surprisingly good at sparking Wide Swing if you get here without learning it, though, for whatever that's worth.)

Most of the Quarry hasn't changed since Wil came here; if you destroyed either bridge, it stays destroyed, and any treasures you acquired before are still gone.

(Field of Battle IV)

And when I said the Quarry is the same, I was including the Griffons. And this time, you have a sucky party and a leader who has good HP but no LP, against an enemy who includes in its list of traits "inflicts LP damage very often." I could win this--I'd be very confident of it, even, if I'd brought a Dead Stone to stop the LP damage--but there'd be no real point. I don't bother.

You're virtually guaranteed to have Tornado Blade once you get here, thanks to Johan's fights in the Southern Fort, and the area has Tree environmental Anima, so even new players with no other Arts should win battles nigh-instantly. Even ignoring that, this area is open enough that dodging fights is incredibly easy. It's a shame, really, considering how rarely Feldschlacht IV appears.

Skipping the navigation, we've seen this all already...

Who are you?
Gustave.

There's a long pause.

We are going to fight a life or death battle. We haven't got time for jokes.
I will fight alongside you. How about that?

Dammit Watts and Greta you are the worst. I know it's incredibly obvious that he's some shade of evil, but now I can't loot him! Think of the equipment he has to have!

Talking to him after this:

Then I guess I'll just watch and see.

After you leave the screen, he'll disappear.

Navigation gets a bit unclear at this point, but it's easy once you know what to do.

Wil went up the right rope net. You want to go up the left one.

Enter the cave, climb down the first rope net, then take the path to the right. It's not obvious or anything, but it's where you need to go.

Then you get here. This part... takes a while.

Not because it's difficult--the slimes don't have that much HP--there's just a lot of them. Even if you stick to a wall and fight as few as possible, you're still looking at about 10-12 duels. Someone on the design team really wanted you to get Feldschlacht IV stuck in your head. I approve of the goal, but wish they'd chosen a different way.

Right, now that we're through that, we have this room at the end. You know those puzzles where you need to light up all the squares on a grid, and pushing each button lights up some squares and turns off others? That. There's five total, and you need all of them lit to progress.

The two floor buttons light up the constellation patterns. The central switch rotates all of the lit-up constellations counter-clockwise one position. In keeping with the standard way of solving any and all such puzzles, I flail about until the puzzle gets solved.

It's pretty simple once you check what the buttons do: the bottom switch toggles a three-constellation arc from the blue in the upper-left to the orange in the bottom-center, while the upper switch toggles the two spaces not lit up in this picture (red and yellow).

When you light up all of five, the tree appears, then fades out; there's the faint sound of a distant 'click.' At this point, all of the constellations start appearing and disappearing counterclockwise around the room, and the buttons stop working.

And this door opens. And all of the slimes are gone.

Except this one, anyway.

Music stops.

Hey, you know what we haven't had in a while?

(There's the same clashing noise as the Ice Megalith's terminal room.)

A reminder of why you don't gently caress with Megaliths.

Sargon collapses, and the screen goes black.

Of course. You were the strongest. You have gained new power.
I am at your service, Master Gustave.

From here, it looks like Sargon is joining him willingly, doesn't it? Official materials say that no, he didn't: he realized that Fake Gustave probably had some hand in this and was scared shitless of the man who somehow used a Megalith to murder his friends.

Poor Sargon. :smith:

(The Outside World)

1301 Sargon, the first Edelritter
Fake Gustave's loyal and powerful vassals, the Edelritter, are born.

Next (chronological): Peace Conference (1305)
Next (Gustave): Peace Conference (1305)

Einander fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 30, 2015

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

If my German wasn't so rusty, I'd dare translate Edelritter as "precious knight" or "noble knight".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
This chapter was where I thought Tornado Blade was learned because Sargon came with it learned for some reason.

Took actually finding out about Johann to learn differently :downs:

This chapter's fairly decent in terms of setup and it also displays the power of Fake Gustave here. I also wished he'd join up here to get a look at what equipment the game would give him.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
For some reason I had the order of Edelritter and Fake Gustave Appears switched around in my head, and thought that Sargon found the Egg here and became Fake Gustave. It doesn't help that the events are a year apart and they both have white hair. :downs:

I kept wondering how the hell the Egg ended up in the Slime Room. Because Fake Gustave brought it with him, of course.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The one time you can possibly see him in battle, he has a fancy quell sword with a fair bit of magic defense and 39 attack power that he uses to help pass himself off as Gustave. And a caster armor.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, I had forgotten entirely about Polnareff Sargon here. I see he doesn't get a happy ending, too.

For a moment I thought that he had been brainwashed by the Megalith, power in exchange for your soul and whatnot. But nope, he's just understandably scared as hell of not-Gustave and his turning people into Slimes power. I can't blame him for his choice, really.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do we know, at this point in the game, how far in the past these events took place?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Chuu posted:

Do we know, at this point in the game, how far in the past these events took place?

If I'm understanding your question... The final chapter of Gustave's side of the story references how events were perceived a thousand years later. So it's pretty distant history, from the perspective of anyone reading about it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, the chronicle at least (and possibly the side materials) talks as if this is long-archived history, similar to the deal with FFT's framing device.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

dis astranagant posted:

The one time you can possibly see him in battle, he has a fancy quell sword with a fair bit of magic defense and 39 attack power that he uses to help pass himself off as Gustave. And a caster armor.
Honestly, the game makes itself seem a lot more confusing than it is by labeling him "Fake Gustave," even if that's accurate. You keep thinking, assuming, that there's something more to it, that there's a twist. But it doesn't appear that there is; he's very unlikely to be Rich, I don't see how he could possibly be the real Gustave even if you take into account Misty's whole "infusing anima into something that lacks it" reanimation trick because the Egg was nowhere near the Southern Fort, and there really doesn't seem to be anyone else unaccounted-for in the story. Putting him in the "Gustave Story" timeline makes it seem like there might be something to his claim from a continuity standpoint, but all evidence suggests he's not even remotely like Gustave in any way.

The only way it really makes narrative sense is if "Fake Gustave" is basically shorthand for "The Egg," because that's how it seems to be playing out right now. Fake Gustave is how history comes to know the overt actions of the Egg, and his sudden appearance in the story is a lot less sudden if he's just the Egg, as the Egg is a "character" we've already seen.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'd assume he's a "Fake Gustave" in the sense that he's going to try and conquer the continent. "Gustave's successor" might have been a more accurate way to frame that though. I don't think anyone believes for a second that Gustave actually survived and somehow never aged, but if someone claims to be Gustave's secret grandchild and then conquers the continent, who are you to argue with him?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Historically he's the one pretender who amounted to more than a very minor distraction for the nobility. He's Fake Gustave because no one finds out who he really is.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Clarste posted:

I'd assume he's a "Fake Gustave" in the sense that he's going to try and conquer the continent. "Gustave's successor" might have been a more accurate way to frame that though. I don't think anyone believes for a second that Gustave actually survived and somehow never aged, but if someone claims to be Gustave's secret grandchild and then conquers the continent, who are you to argue with him?
The interesting thing is that, unlike the other claimant we saw, he doesn't even seem to realize he needs a plausible excuse. He (as the Egg) wants to just be Gustave, not Gustave's grandson or secret heir or spiritual successor. Nope, he'll become Gustave outright, even though that's impossible and also he's exactly the opposite of what Gustave was to begin with.

It is telling however that his vast powers make it obvious to everyone he isn't Gustave but they're so ridiculously powerful nobody wants to say otherwise. Oh yeah, that guy's an amazing sorcerer, we'll just pretend Gustave wasn't a spiritual dead zone because holy gently caress we do not want to cross that guy.

Fatherwolf
Aug 2, 2012

What?
I would assume the reason why he shoved in Gustave chronicle is that fake Gustave try to usurp Gustave name to achieve his goal, what ever they may be.

While the knight story is focus on a single family, Gustave chronicle relate to, not only Gustave himself, but also his legacy and his effect on history.

Also for all of those that are debating Gustave vs the Egg, i would think Gustave would be immune but not necessarily for the reason we think, i mean the game itself has told us that Gustave has an Anima, a powerful one at that.
Master Cielmer say so to Gustave the XII When he asked to explain Gustave failure at the firebrand ceremony. If Cielmer is not lying to Gustave the XII, which i doubt, then it mean that Gustave has an Anima but of a different sort than what is common.

To be honest, I do not know if I like Gustave overall story theme better if you consider him Anima less or just having an Anima that basically resistant to all other Anima.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Presumably the idea is that his personal Anima is actually Steel aligned; a literal Steel Soul. Powerful, indomitable, but also due to the nature of the world an aberration, disconnected from the world at large in a very visible way.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Given that no character in this game has a last name, I think the game is calling him "Fake Gustave" because he's trying to claim that he's Gustave XIV; a "Fake Gustave". Or he went totally nuts after he grabbed The Egg off the corpse of some nameless bandit dude. Either way works, really.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CmdrKing posted:

Presumably the idea is that his personal Anima is actually Steel aligned; a literal Steel Soul. Powerful, indomitable, but also due to the nature of the world an aberration, disconnected from the world at large in a very visible way.

Anima is anima. Tool/quell types are just a structure imposed by humans to help them focus.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, what the hell, Megaliths?

You should at least be harder to accidentally open.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm getting the picture of a vanished ultra-advanced civilization that put their magical might into creating deathtraps as entertainment.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GunnerJ posted:

I'm getting the picture of a vanished ultra-advanced civilization that put their magical might into creating deathtraps as entertainment.

So like a wizardly equivalent of Dwarf Fortress, then?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Megaliths are actually just old sets from Sandailian Gladiators and Legends of the Hidden Temple.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Very short update, so next update is tomorrow.

Peace Conference (1305)
After King Sho of Na's death, the lords gather to begin peace talks.
1303 King Sho of Na dies - Peace Conference begins
King Sho is 74. The peace conference begins.

(Question)

I'm not going to note which specific person says each line, because it really doesn't matter.

I hear another rebellion in Lord Gustave's name has begun.
It's not a rebellion, Counselor. It's just a bunch of bandits. They've already been destroyed.
Even so, the eastern part of the Lordless Land has had far too many bandits and rebellions.

Quite the contrary, General. I believe many are actually inciting these activities, including the Duke of Laubholz. Once the Jade family has established legitimate control, peace and order will eventually be restored.

By some weird coincidence, this guy is speaking in all of the screenshots (and only in the screenshots). gently caress this guy: he's from Laubholz and he's a dick.

Please, Minister, do not insult my grandfather. The other lords also withdrew from Hahn Nova. More importantly, I believe we should discuss the future, rather than the past.
My lord's only intention is to stop these skirmishes.
But the Jade's presence on the eastern bank of the Anath River threatens the safety of our country.

I would be very surprised if you remember which river this is. It's one of the rivers in the western part of the western part of the Lordless Land. (Repetition entirely intended, since the two parts don't have different names, they're just both 'Lordless Land.')

My father, Charles, does not want a war, either. However, he does have a duty to carry out Lord Gustave's and Lord Kelvin's wishes.
Regardless, we require a more secure measure, by outlining...
As long as Lord Charles will not retract his demands, it is useless.
It's a conspiracy by Na!

In previous cases, there's two text bubbles tops. I guess this "peace conference" is just spiralling widely out of control.

(Luck in battle)

He'll buy me time to strengthen my position as the leader of the Lordless Land. Maybe I should call him back here to tell him a thing or two. He's just like father. He knows nothing of politics.

I'd say something about how Philippe III really should have inherited both Jade and Thermes, just by virtue of not being Charles, but all things considered that may have ended in murder. So there's a bullet dodged right there, I guess.

Yes, the messenger has just returned. I believe you'll have that information soon.

Go on.
Hahn Nova's elder committee has refused to deliver it's quota of supplies. On top of that, it's been communicating with the neighboring minor lords, and has begun gathering troops.
What!? They intend to stop us with brute force!?
Among them, there's one who claims to be Gustave, and he has his troops with him.

Charles keeps laughing during this next line:

Lord Charles, what is the matter?

War! On one side, Charles, who is a less-subtle Cantal. On the other, Fake Gustave, who has such a big flashing "EVIL" sign over his head that even virtual NPCs distrust him on sight.

This is a very "whoever wins, we lose" situation, isn't it.

(The Outside World)

1303 King Sho of Na dies - Peace Conference begins
King Sho is 74. The peace conference begins.

The timeline here is a little weird--the Chronicle entry is for 1303, but the Battle of Hahn Nova is in 1305. I think we can assume the Peace Conference scene is in 1305. You can probably assume the king died at the end of 1303 and that the Battle of Hahn Nova is at the start of 1305, and that there's substantial message delays between the representatives and their respective kingdoms. Still, though, even if it's one year instead of two, that is an awfully long time to have a room of diplomats actively engaged and getting nothing accomplished.

Next (chronological): Ginny's Departure (1305)
Next (Gustave): Battle of Hahn Nova (1305)

Einander fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Einander posted:

Still, though, even if it's one year instead of two, that is an awfully long time to have a room of diplomats actively engaged and getting nothing accomplished.[/i]

Except every single bit of diplomacy for the last 40 years.

Palestine, The Koreas, China Sea, Iran and Cuba until just last month, just off the top of my head.

• Locked thread