Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Third World Reggin posted:

source your quotes

efb
...Seriously? You didn't recognize that rant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

To be fair, I actually do think this is a lovely setup in many ways, I just found that reddit post about how even the "outsiders" were gonna be all like "how dare you???!!" to be really funny.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Chaltab posted:

...Seriously? You didn't recognize that rant?

nope, that I didn't

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Nah those of us who say "This is dumb and bad" are actually just entitled gamers who want everything for free.

I don't know, I kind of want to see EA or Ubisoft sue Valve for profiting off their work just for the fireworks alone.
What does this make me?
Aside from a bad person!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

KakerMix posted:

Yeah sorry Bethesda got their cut, if they want a revenue stream rather than a one-time fee then they should change how they sell their games.

I think them providing mod tools for free with the game but taking a cut of sales if you sell mods you make with them is perfectly fair and reasonable. If people want to continue to make and distribute mods for free they can.

For now. :unsmigghh:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Republicans posted:

I think them providing mod tools for free with the game but taking a cut of sales if you sell mods you make with them is perfectly fair and reasonable. If people want to continue to make and distribute mods for free they can.

Cool so when do they start because like we already said and you ignored, the tools people use now aren't the ones provided by Bethesda. If you want to say 'the privilege' of being able to make mods then sure, but I'd disagree with that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love all the libertarians on Reddit defending this because of how the market will obviously sort itself out even though Steam is the exact opposite of a free market...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Republicans posted:

I wouldn't call purchasing the CS along with the game free.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

KakerMix posted:

Cool so when do they start because like we already said and you ignored, the tools people use now aren't the ones provided by Bethesda. If you want to say 'the privilege' of being able to make mods then sure, but I'd disagree with that.

It doesn't matter what tools you use, if you tried to sell a Skyrim mod before you can bet you'd have Bethesda on your rear end for it. All that's changed is Bethesda saying "Under these conditions you can sell your mods." Don't like those conditions? Don't sell your mods then.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I wouldn't call purchasing the CS along with the game free.

You might not call the games you get with a PS+ subscription "free" either but a lot of people do because people know what you mean when you call them free games.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 26, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People who can't see why this is hilariously bad are pretty dumb.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

KakerMix posted:

Yeah sorry Bethesda got their cut, if they want a revenue stream rather than a one-time fee then they should change how they sell their games. Oh well I guess Zenimax tried that with ESO and this must be their backup plan :v:

When TESO came out, a lot of people were complaining that it was an Elder Scrolls game, only with little to no modding.

Well, I guess it's going to be on even footing now. :v:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Selling mods in the first place is loving stupid.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

:cop:

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
What if I pay $0.01 for a mod? Do Valve and Bethesda cut a penny in half? That's ILLEGAL.

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo
So, all of this got me back into modding Skyrim. I've checked with TES5Edit (it says its okay), and the game doesn't CTD - I just don't get any text on the main menu. I've sorted it with LOOT as well.

Yes it is a lot of mods. I know how they all work. What did I do?

Other things I have:

• Centaur Font
  • Enhanced Animations
  • Immersive Animations
  • aMidianBorn's textures

load order.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Gotta micro monetize everything huh, greedy fuckin shits. Where the hell did CS and dota and team fortress come from?

Give people a toolkit and no paywall, pick up and hire the people who make a mod that gains popularity and make an actual game out of it. Wouldn't that make them more money?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

tekz posted:

Gotta micro monetize everything huh, greedy fuckin shits. Where the hell did CS and dota and team fortress come from?

Give people a toolkit and no paywall, pick up and hire the people who make a mod that gains popularity and make an actual game out of it. Wouldn't that make them more money?

why wait when you can make money now

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

gently caress you; got mine.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

tekz posted:

Only if it actually works. Hiring people and buying IP is risky, which means it lowers expected returns (which lowers expeced cash flows which lowers expected stock growth/company value). Giving others a thing and making money if they modify it is basically risk free (and if you follow the path it's basically a free way to generate value).

It's a super short sighted way to look at things, I guess someone at valve just finished their MBA.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

The previous version of Wet & Cold had a bug in it where sometimes when it rained everyone would go home and then never leave their homes again, turning the entire city into a ghost town. It's good to see that for only $5 I could have a version where that might not happen anymore. But he took snowshoes out so gently caress that, snowshoes were awesome.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
I'm pretty disgusted with this whole thing. But it does have me wondering. Is there any game like the TES games that I've overlooked? With modding support? That's a sandbox? Though if this actually works (which I don't believe it will) I'm pretty sure this hypothetical clone would follow suit, but is there anything like it around anyway? I hear Dragon Age compared occasionally, but DA sucks. DNW.

This is the only way I can see the 'free market' fixing this. An actual rival game, that isn't a bugfest on several platforms including DRM free ones.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Witcher 3.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

No character creation. Stuck playing as an ugly old man.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

You can play as Ciri too!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Moryrie posted:

No character creation. Stuck playing as an ugly old man.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
play Baldur's Gate until death's sweet release :unsmigghh:

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

You can play as Ciri too!

For the entire game, opting out of ever playing Geralt at all?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I have thousands of hours played and it will keep growing forever.

Why wouldn't you want to play as Geralt? Witcher 3 comes with sex mods built in!

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I actually gave up on the tutorial. lol.

cheesetriangles posted:

I have thousands of hours played and it will keep growing forever.

Why wouldn't you want to play as Geralt? Witcher 3 comes with sex mods built in!

I'm actually that weirdo that never tried sex mods, plays without nude mods, and learned to mesh so I could get rid of the boobies and make my waifu as flat chested as I am IRL. I also was totally fine with Skyrim's default body mesh except for the feet which were a shame and an abomination. (probably TMI).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Baldur's Gate has tons of free mods where you can play a flat chested waifu(everything is 2D).

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Dagerfall even has inbuilt nudity and skimpy clothing by default!

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Baldur's Gate is harder to get into than Morrowind. And Morrowind doesn't have a the crappy backwards magic system.

And isn't the second one supposedly the better one or something? And isn't Baldur's Gate closer to being Dragon-Age-Ish, and rather linear to boot? Also it's just not very much like TES. Except maybe the ancient TES no one plays.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It's nothing like the tes games but that magic system is not backwards.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Moryrie posted:

Baldur's Gate is harder to get into than Morrowind. And Morrowind doesn't have a the crappy backwards magic system.

And isn't the second one supposedly the better one or something? And isn't Baldur's Gate closer to being Dragon-Age-Ish, and rather linear to boot? Also it's just not very much like TES. Except maybe the ancient TES no one plays.

BG isn't a sandbox but it's not linear at all. BG2 is more linear but the story is so loving badass you forgive it

I also never got into Morrowind :shrug:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Morrowind is pretty easy to get into I think if you do a little research. Reading UESP for early game hints can get you over that initial hump. Then you decide you want to become a god before level 2 by buying 200 gold worth of alchemy supplies.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Man if I wanted to do research I'd be beating Dark Souls for nerd street cred

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The best thing about Morrowind is the cheat codes are built into the game in the form of alchemy and enchanting so you don't need to pay for some off the steam workshop.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Jesus. Skyrim's close to dropping below 90%. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

It's nothing like the tes games but that magic system is not backwards.

Learn spell. Forget spell. Must relearn. Must sleep to learn spell. Or something along those lines is what I got out of the tutorial I never finished? It's been a while since I tried to play it. I'm also seriously not a fan of micromanaging a bunch of team members. Which is one reason I prettymuch hated playing DAO.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

BG isn't a sandbox but it's not linear at all. BG2 is more linear but the story is so loving badass you forgive it

I also never got into Morrowind :shrug:

Yeah. And old maybe better games are still not exactly games directly competing for Bethesda's money now. DAI, Witcher 3, and Pillars of Eternity are the only new standouts in the fantasy RPG market, and they're all just very different from TES.

And I guess we can just totally forget about Arthmoor's little gaming company if he thinks this was a good deal. Not that I ever planned on supporting his bear filled nonsense anyway.

• Locked thread