Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I had everything I needed to get a group together for all the bosses in that area without even particularly trying. I don't remember exactly how though.

edit: I still have no clue what to do about the NPC hunter who is occupying that area now though. I don't stand a snowball's chance in hell against him. He outranges me and out-damages me ten times over.

go at him from above for a back stab. all the hunters in the game can be killed this way and cheesing them all despite their appearance in greater and greater numbers as the game goes on is very fun. he has a lot of health though so you gotta be able to finish him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Manatee Cannon posted:

You may be surprised to find that Gascoigne can't help you for the Gascoigne fight.

Is it him? I definitely entered the G fight with help and it wasn't like SSJGoku69 or whatever but summoned from that same spot I got the Cleric Beast help from "If you need help you need only ring the bell." Was this a glitch?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

You may be surprised to find that Gascoigne can't help you for the Gascoigne fight.
Seriously though, I don't remember how, but I was definitely able to get people (not NPCs) together for that fight and at least most of the others in Yharnam. I don't think I needed to do any of them alone.

edit: In general I don't do boss fights in Souls games alone. I join others' games to learn their tactics and gain humanity/insight/whatever, then I summon people myself when it's time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 26, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

People might have lingered after killing the two bosses to help other people. My point was that help is probably rare back there because you can't do it until you're done with the area, not that it is absolutely impossible for it to happen.

Neo Rasa posted:

Is it him? I definitely entered the G fight with help and it wasn't like SSJGoku69 or whatever but summoned from that same spot I got the Cleric Beast help from "If you need help you need only ring the bell." Was this a glitch?

It is, but maybe it's replaced with Alfred or something. I know you can't bring Gascoigne to his own boss arena, though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Got The Crew from gamefly and maybe it's been patched a lot or something but I really don't think it's as bad as everyone says. The story is trash and the shameless "spend real money" stuff is ridiculous for a $60 game but I can steer just fine 99% of the time and the open world is pretty neat to drive around in.

Reserving the right to rescind this if I eventually hit some mandatory missions that are super hard and unfair :v:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ElwoodCuse posted:

Got The Crew from gamefly and maybe it's been patched a lot or something but I really don't think it's as bad as everyone says. The story is trash and the shameless "spend real money" stuff is ridiculous for a $60 game but I can steer just fine 99% of the time and the open world is pretty neat to drive around in.

Reserving the right to rescind this if I eventually hit some mandatory missions that are super hard and unfair :v:

No the story loving sucks and the escape and takedown missions loving suck. But I will vouch for the game and say that driving across "not united states" is a blast.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 26, 2015

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I had everything I needed to get a group together for all the bosses in that area without even particularly trying. I don't remember exactly how though.

edit: I still have no clue what to do about the NPC hunter who is occupying that area now though. I don't stand a snowball's chance in hell against him. He outranges me and out-damages me ten times over.

I threw a bunch of poison knives at him and watched his health just vanish.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hoffadoff posted:

I threw a bunch of poison knives at him and watched his health just vanish.
Hm...how many do you think it would take to kill him from the rooftop without ever getting into his attack range?

edit: going toe to toe with him is completely out of the question, at least at level 25 or so. One shot and one melee attack from him and I'm dead, and I'm doing about a 20th of his hit points with each of my attacks. I'm sure it's theoretically possible to win that way, but I'm not that kind of player.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 26, 2015

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
NPC hunters are what pisses me off most about Bloodborne. It's just ridiculous fighting something that is supposed to be like you but somehow has 100+ of every stat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only one that really pissed me off was the one right before Rom. She had like a million health and her arcane attacks did like 95% damage on me. The group of three was also pretty bad, but I forgot to even go back and kill them at the end of the game after running the first time. They are super optional anyways so whatever.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ularg posted:

NPC hunters are what pisses me off most about Bloodborne. It's just ridiculous fighting something that is supposed to be like you but somehow has 100+ of every stat.

They're all idiots and are super parriable though. And even if they mob you they can be leashed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno, NPC Hunters seem pretty smart to me.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hm...how many do you think it would take to kill him from the rooftop without ever getting into his attack range?

edit: going toe to toe with him is completely out of the question, at least at level 25 or so. One shot and one melee attack from him and I'm dead, and I'm doing about a 20th of his hit points with each of my attacks. I'm sure it's theoretically possible to win that way, but I'm not that kind of player.

We are talking about the gold knight dude where the crow helps you? The one in Father G's area. If so I tossed like 10 knives while the crow beat his rear end then ran up behind him and did like 4 hits and he died.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hoffadoff posted:

We are talking about the gold knight dude where the crow helps you? The one in Father G's area. If so I tossed like 10 knives while the crow beat his rear end then ran up behind him and did like 4 hits and he died.
Crow? The first time I saw him he was fighting what looked like another hunter, but killed him and he's been dead ever since.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Samurai Sanders posted:

Crow? The first time I saw him he was fighting what looked like another hunter, but killed him and he's been dead ever since.

He's referring to Eileen the Crow, the hunter who wears the black feather cape and bird mask.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

acksplode posted:

Exciting deal for anyone who downloads PT between now and April 29: It will be there for you to download http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/26/konami-removing-silent-hills-pt-from-playstation-store

Fuuuuuuuuuck that really doesn't bode well for Silent Hills huh. I just replayed PT the other day and it was just as cool as the first time, major bummer. I guess the absolute hail mary best scenario here is for Kojima Studios to split off, and for Sony to pick them up and help them buy the Silent Hill license, but I'm really not counting on it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

goferchan posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck that really doesn't bode well for Silent Hills huh. I just replayed PT the other day and it was just as cool as the first time, major bummer. I guess the absolute hail mary best scenario here is for Kojima Studios to split off, and for Sony to pick them up and help them buy the Silent Hill license, but I'm really not counting on it

Last they said after all the Kojima stuff went down is that Silent Hills is still in production.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this? posted:

Last they said after all the Kojima stuff went down is that Silent Hills is still in production.
But it won't be anywhere close to the kind of game PT hinted at. Kojima is largely what made PT as cool as it was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't worry Gearbox has been hired to finish it up in place of Koj.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

He's referring to Eileen the Crow, the hunter who wears the black feather cape and bird mask.
The other hunter was killed only seconds after I arrived (I didn't have the forethought to jump into the fight and finish them off while they were weakened), so I dunno what he/she was wearing.

I love how Souls games create these kinds of mysteries.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 26, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Honestly tho if Kojima's not involved I don't really care. I loved Silent Hill 1-3 at the time but everything since then has kind of sucked IMO and P.T. (even if it, like the final sequence implies, plays differently than Silemt Hills will) really felt like a breath of fresh air and was probably the only game I've played in the last decade that's really scared the poo poo out me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I have to imagine Konami would do everything they could to keep Kojima on board for that project, since his involvement is at least a third of the reason why people care in the first place.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

music box, molotovs, parrying, glitching him on the staircase like capra demon, rolling with a crew. all good options.

I did this unknowingly the other day, V.attacked him and he went over the leftside stair railing and dropped out of the level. 30 seconds later: PREY SLAUGHTERED.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno, NPC Hunters seem pretty smart to me.

It's actually a waste of poison knives since the NPC refuses to follow you down the stairs. Hit, back up, hit, back up, etc. Way faster.

NESguerilla posted:

Don't worry Gearbox has been hired to finish it up in place of Koj.

Don't even loving joke!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 26, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

second-hand smegma posted:

It's actually a waste of poison knives since the NPC refuses to follow you down the stairs. Hit, back up, hit, back up, etc. Way faster.

I didn't use a poison knife, I just let him turn on the Chikage's health drain mode and left. His AI shuts off if you get far enough away so he never switches it off and kills himself.

A poison knife wouldn't have lasted anywhere near that long.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Manatee Cannon posted:

I didn't use a poison knife, I just let him turn on the Chikage's health drain mode and left. His AI shuts off if you get far enough away so he never switches it off and kills himself.

A poison knife wouldn't have lasted anywhere near that long.

Oh, my bad, I tuned out. Okay, that is pretty loving stupid.

Though I did try poison and it did at least 75% hp, but he may have healed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Since he just stands there waiting for you in the method I used in the video, he won't even heal. That's why I never bothered attacking him for real before he turned blood mode on, I just wanted him to start the health drain effect so I could leave. You get to see how much health he has this way, which is kind of interesting I guess (about 3400).

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I have to imagine Konami would do everything they could to keep Kojima on board for that project, since his involvement is at least a third of the reason why people care in the first place.

Tbf he said he wanted to make a game so scary no one would be able to finish it and I can't imagine a publisher being happy with that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I killed the hunter right before Rom by walking through the fog door and then just attacking her through it. All those hunter fights aren't enjoyable at all when done in a non-cheese way because their HP is so high.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

echronorian posted:

Tbf he said he wanted to make a game so scary no one would be able to finish it and I can't imagine a publisher being happy with that.

I doubt a publisher would care since the vast majority of people don't finish games.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Reverse Centaur posted:

I regret buying Bloodborne more than The Order. I can't believe how unfun/uninteresting it is and have no desire to touch it. I watch YouTubes hoping to see something to inspire me to push on but nope.

I dunno what to say , other than did you even watch a souls game being plsyed? Did you read into the hype about how "hard" it was suppose to be?

I like your posts, but auhg, this game is what it is and I think you think it was something entirely different than SOULS 4.0, exclusive to ps4, ft; miyazaki director of DeS/DaS1.

Sorry you suck at knowing what a game is before buying it. I figured adults had this thing figured out? YOU CAN ALWAYS RENT? WATCH YOUTUBES? I still want to play GTA5 with you, sorry I am a jerk about BB, even If i am a bitch at it, and still haven't gotten the platinum 5 days past due.

serious; hard games just arn't for everyone. Can Bloodborne be the equivalent to an arcade in 2015, in terms of taking money or the brutal deaths?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Failboattootoot posted:

I doubt a publisher would care since the vast majority of people don't finish games.

Yeah I mean the number is pretty low for finishing games. Publishers care about making sales and they can market 'scariest game made, very little people actually finish!'

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Lord Bloodborne is one of the best PS4 games. I personally bought it knowing is not my tea cup, but because sometimes I try things outside my confort area.

I don't like the game, but I would never write that is uninteresting... theres a lot of explorable area and shortcuts that are semi-hidden so is already a minigame to find your way around the map. Then theres the unfair battles against the boss, that I understand many people enjoy. The positives are there for people that like the genre.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tei posted:

Lord Bloodborne is one of the best PS4 games. I personally bought it knowing is not my tea cup, but because sometimes I try things outside my confort area.

I don't like the game, but I would never write that is uninteresting... theres a lot of explorable area and shortcuts that are semi-hidden so is already a minigame to find your way around the map. Then theres the unfair battles against the boss, that I understand many people enjoy. The positives are there for people that like the genre.

Bloodborne is not my usual thing either. Never played any of the souls games, tend to like the modern games inverted difficulty curve where the last half of the game is essentially a superpowered victory lap. I loving love bloodborne. I am not what you would call good at the game, but I really enjoy it. I'm not that far in, I've only beaten 5 bosses; Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, Blood Starved Beast, Vicar Emelia, the witch of somewhere or other. Met another boss by running past enemies I couldnt beat but she transported me to a college instead of killing me I'd argue that none of the boss fights are necessarily unfair. Hard as balls absolutely, I didnt keep count of how many times I died to each one, but rarely unfair. For 2 of them (FG and VE) I rang a summoning bell and that was really helpful. Actually killed the witch last night, solo, on my first attempt. I hadnt seen her before so kind of resigned myself to dying learning her pattern but turns out I didnt need to. So either the later bosses arent as hard as some of those early ones or I'm actually getting better at the game.

If you dont like the game, fair enough, I'm not trying to persuade you otherwise, but it clicked for me when I realised that finding the shortcuts is (in the early going) essentially the meat of the game. Unlocking shortcuts, balancing whether to risk pushing on or run back to the lamp to upgrade/level and then when you think you are ready to fight the boss you've drastically cut down how long it takes to reach them, which is nce because you will generally get splattered the first few times until you have started to pick up the bosses tells. I'm floored because I honestly thought as I was buying the game there was a 90% chance that I'd end up getting so frustrated that it'd become a makeshift frisbee.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Bloodborne is not my usual thing either. Never played any of the souls games, tend to like the modern games inverted difficulty curve where the last half of the game is essentially a superpowered victory lap. I loving love bloodborne. I am not what you would call good at the game, but I really enjoy it. I'm not that far in, I've only beaten 5 bosses; Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, Blood Starved Beast, Vicar Emelia, the witch of somewhere or other. Met another boss by running past enemies I couldnt beat but she transported me to a college instead of killing me I'd argue that none of the boss fights are necessarily unfair. Hard as balls absolutely, I didnt keep count of how many times I died to each one, but rarely unfair. For 2 of them (FG and VE) I rang a summoning bell and that was really helpful. Actually killed the witch last night, solo, on my first attempt. I hadnt seen her before so kind of resigned myself to dying learning her pattern but turns out I didnt need to. So either the later bosses arent as hard as some of those early ones or I'm actually getting better at the game.

If you dont like the game, fair enough, I'm not trying to persuade you otherwise, but it clicked for me when I realised that finding the shortcuts is (in the early going) essentially the meat of the game. Unlocking shortcuts, balancing whether to risk pushing on or run back to the lamp to upgrade/level and then when you think you are ready to fight the boss you've drastically cut down how long it takes to reach them, which is nce because you will generally get splattered the first few times until you have started to pick up the bosses tells. I'm floored because I honestly thought as I was buying the game there was a 90% chance that I'd end up getting so frustrated that it'd become a makeshift frisbee.

I actually also beat The Witch of Hemwick solo on the first try. I wonder if she's generally considered easy?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

I actually also beat The Witch of Hemwick solo on the first try. I wonder if she's generally considered easy?

It's considered the easiest boss in the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol I beat the cleric beast, FG and BSB first go (though I was way over levelled by the time I got to BSB) and the Witches took me two goes for some reason.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I love Souls games and I love Bloodborne, but the first few hours of my first playthrough were pretty frustrating. I hadn't played a Souls game since the third DLC for Dark Souls 2 came out for PS3, so I was rusty. Once I got past the unnecessarily-crowded first few areas, I was back in the swing of it. Before that, I could see myself making a "fuk this game" post.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Witches sort of come down to luck. Since you don't know which one you're attacking for most of the fight, you don't know how evenly their health is going down. If you can manage to take them both down quickly it's a piece of piss. The first two times I tried the second one barely took a scratch, and pummelled the poo poo out of me with magic.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

acksplode posted:

Exciting deal for anyone who downloads PT between now and April 29: It will be there for you to download http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/26/konami-removing-silent-hills-pt-from-playstation-store

That's a crying shame, I urge everyone to download it immediately, it's a bit obtuse, but it's actually a really good showcase for the PS4 and the best demo I've played in years.

Ularg posted:

I love Bloodborne but this annoyed me too, they had a zillion health and unlimited stamina, most of those fights were a war of a attrition.

Project CARS wasn't really on my radar but it looks really good, like the game Driveclub should have been. Does anyone know if there will be any 'arcade' style options for the driving? I don't really have the patience for full sims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda thinking about CARS. Mainly cause just driving around seems like it'd be a fun game.

I don't know if that's the game for it though, I haven't been paying attention to the driving stuff lately. Whichever is the "drive around the US aimlessly" one is the one I wanna get.

• Locked thread