Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How long after tomatoes start to get wrinkly are they still good for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Jeza posted:

Sadly, it's now common practice, even academically advised in many areas, for students to begin essays with generic statements of intent.

"This essay will argue" is probably more common/correct.

I would always recommend at least trying to paraphrase that to be less poo poo, or if possible avoiding doing anything other than laying out the problem/situation in your opening paragraph. I think it just happened because teachers/professors are lazy as gently caress and want to be able to get quickly pointed in the right direction rather than deciphering the wordvomit that a lot of students will chuck up.

Do you have any better suggestions?

Most of those stories are students trying to get some articles published under their name. It's usually some random crap labwork a professor can't be bothered with, but under the publish or perish model, it's an easy way for students to get a foot in the door.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

hooah posted:

A good long while (maybe up to a week or so).When they get moldy, sour smelling/tasting, or if they start splitting and leaking gross juice everywhere it's time to throw them away, but I use wrinkled tomatoes in spaghetti sauce all the time because they're not as enjoyable to eat raw.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

thrakkorzog posted:

Do you have any better suggestions?

Most of those stories are students trying to get some articles published under their name. It's usually some random crap labwork a professor can't be bothered with, but under the publish or perish model, it's an easy way for students to get a foot in the door.

I'm more lamenting the death of the rhetorical essay. Highly structured and pared down essays will remain an important part of scientific discourse, but it's when it's applied to an English or Philosophy essay that, for me, is inappropriate. Essays in liberal arts are more exercises in persuasion than they are exercises in rigorous testing and logic. To pretend otherwise is foolish. Lots of these subjects now pretend towards scientific method, no matter how obviously inapplicable that is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

I'm more lamenting the death of the rhetorical essay. Highly structured and pared down essays will remain an important part of scientific discourse, but it's when it's applied to an English or Philosophy essay that, for me, is inappropriate. Essays in liberal arts are more exercises in persuasion than they are exercises in rigorous testing and logic. To pretend otherwise is foolish. Lots of these subjects now pretend towards scientific method, no matter how obviously inapplicable that is.

Yeah, analytic philosophy is good stuff but this is not one of its better effects.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

hooah posted:

They're fine until they get mouldy, but if they're wrinkly they're only really any use for stocks or sauces because they're unpleasant to eat.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

I was gonna ask, why is this guy talking so quietly?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What are tenant rights as far as guests? Rent an awesome small place. My ex moved out recently which she noticed and approached me about. It was hard enough moving in as a couple. Pretty much said outright that they can't legally say no but they pretty much reject all couples. Was harder than applying for a job. The landlord seems cool but the building manger is an retired old lady whom I think exaggerates stories based on previous experiences. with nothing better to do than be nosey. Doesn't help that her son lives across from me. Anyways she mentioned not wanting a revolving door of people but the undertone was petty much we don't like guests/randoms here. Was almost threatening. I mean I'm month to month so I guess it doesn't matter eh

As a landlord, when I harass people about this stuff, I tell them not to think about it personally, but as if I was enforcing it on the tenant next door. You have to sign a crime-free/drug-free housing form and there are tight regulations on guests so we don't get the "revolving door" thing, but it's not about you, I just want you to be able to live peacefully so I make sure your neighbors aren't thugs. Now here, just sign this as a formality, because of course, you'll never try and pull any of this crap.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Back in the early-mid 70s, I had a toy building set. It was one of many different size sets that would allow you to construct buildings kinda like this:

One of the sets was of a New York cathedral.

The corner pieces were about .5" tall and about .25" square. They had approximately this shape (top down view):

The notches in the side would line up and you could insert various panels like windows and doors while the crosspieces were for the floor panels. It also featured staircases and thin plastic floor pieces that were red & white checkerboard of various sizes.

The set was probably made in the late 60s-early 70s. My google-fu is failing me.

Anybody have a clue?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Back in the early-mid 70s, I had a toy building set. It was one of many different size sets that would allow you to construct buildings kinda like this:

One of the sets was of a New York cathedral.

The corner pieces were about .5" tall and about .25" square. They had approximately this shape (top down view):

The notches in the side would line up and you could insert various panels like windows and doors while the crosspieces were for the floor panels. It also featured staircases and thin plastic floor pieces that were red & white checkerboard of various sizes.

The set was probably made in the late 60s-early 70s. My google-fu is failing me.

Anybody have a clue?

I tried a quick google and came across this site. I haven't clicked through all the listings but there's a good chance it's here I'd say.

http://www.architoys.net/toys/toylist1.html

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I tried a quick google and came across this site. I haven't clicked through all the listings but there's a good chance it's here I'd say.

http://www.architoys.net/toys/toylist1.html

Thanks, but I went through every listing, but it's not there.

E: Googling architectural building sets led me to the right thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_%28construction_set%29

Thanks!

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 25, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
My buddy used to work at a hot video game company and has a bunch of sealed black-label PSX games and some other random titles. Is eBay the best way to sell these? Some of the titles sell at a good price, but they don't sell often. His time is pretty valuable. I feel slightly responsible for this as I prevented him from selling these at a garage sale for like $3 a piece (sorry, garage sale grinders) and while he will like the money, he's going to spend that time up front.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Blinkman987 posted:

My buddy used to work at a hot video game company and has a bunch of sealed black-label PSX games and some other random titles. Is eBay the best way to sell these? Some of the titles sell at a good price, but they don't sell often. His time is pretty valuable. I feel slightly responsible for this as I prevented him from selling these at a garage sale for like $3 a piece (sorry, garage sale grinders) and while he will like the money, he's going to spend that time up front.

Could you buy the games off him at a bit of a discount and sell them. That way he doesn't lose the time, he still gets more than he would have and you get a bit of cash too.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
I wanna run 27 images in an automatic slide show with 9 seconds between each image and a song playing in the background. Ideally I wanna be able to save this "project" and move it to another computer where you can just click it to launch the slideshow+music. What program do I use?

Edit: On PC

Werner-Boogle fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 25, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Windows Movie Maker will do that for you..

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Jeza posted:

Ahh, OK. I understand you now. And I agree with you. People submitting articles for scientific journals, as a general rule, tend to be pretty brisk. "We did X, and Y was the result. The full details are below the fold." It makes it easy to search through.

I can see how that can be annoying in the liberal arts field, since there's no obvious carryover there. You would think somebody going for a bachelors in English or Philosophy could do better than copy a boring style from the science students.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Lawnmower problems. any ideas?

It's a 2004ish 4stroke lawn-boy with a tecumseh motor

Unlike older mowers I've had and used this has no hand-lever for throttle or choke, throttle I guess is wide open all the time (maybe is no throttle at all) and the choke is somehow automatic.

If I pull the cord 20x it might start once and run perfectly for 2 or 3 seconds. Other 19x it does not fire even a single time. Air filter is dirty so it's removed until I figure out what's wrong.

It has new gas and has been attempted to start so many times I would think any old gas in the carb is gone.

I've taken spark plug out and with the wire connected to it, and body of it grounded it sparks just fine with my daughter pulling the cord. My weedeater runs fine and its sparkplug fits in the mower I get the same results with it in there.

If I put my nose by the exhaust with her pulling the cord I smell unburnt gas every time. I've wanted to take the fuel line off the carb to see if gas freely flows from it but it's in a position that I can't fit any pliers back there to open the spring clamp.

There is a valve on top of the carb connected to a lever coming from the crankcase, I'm guessing the choke. If I manipulate this with my finger and have the kid pull the cord I seem to get better than the 1 in 20 starts and it runs perfect but still only for 2 or 3 seconds.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Lawnmower problems. any ideas?

It's a 2004ish 4stroke lawn-boy with a tecumseh motor

Unlike older mowers I've had and used this has no hand-lever for throttle or choke, throttle I guess is wide open all the time (maybe is no throttle at all) and the choke is somehow automatic.

If I pull the cord 20x it might start once and run perfectly for 2 or 3 seconds. Other 19x it does not fire even a single time. Air filter is dirty so it's removed until I figure out what's wrong.

It has new gas and has been attempted to start so many times I would think any old gas in the carb is gone.

I've taken spark plug out and with the wire connected to it, and body of it grounded it sparks just fine with my daughter pulling the cord. My weedeater runs fine and its sparkplug fits in the mower I get the same results with it in there.

If I put my nose by the exhaust with her pulling the cord I smell unburnt gas every time. I've wanted to take the fuel line off the carb to see if gas freely flows from it but it's in a position that I can't fit any pliers back there to open the spring clamp.

There is a valve on top of the carb connected to a lever coming from the crankcase, I'm guessing the choke. If I manipulate this with my finger and have the kid pull the cord I seem to get better than the 1 in 20 starts and it runs perfect but still only for 2 or 3 seconds.

This sounds like the safety lever is malfunctioning. Do you have a model number?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Just because a spark plug fits, doesn't mean it will work the same. Spark plugs generally have pretty universal threads, what matters is the gap between the electrode and the head. If your lawnmower plug and weedeater plug aren't the same, you need to get an actual replacement and try with that.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
xmasgift: Doesn't the safety mechanism cut off the ignition though? If I pull the spark plug out, connect it to the wire and ground the body with my daughter pulling the cord it sparks every time.

It's a lawnboy model 10685

Captain bravo: I've not really thought about the spark plug much and maybe I'm wrong but the running perfectly for a few seconds one in 20 start attempts, to me makes me think something with the carb. I guess I could go up to the store and get a new plug though. (it's perfect weather for a bike ride and wife and kids are arguing and in a bad mood with each other so a perfect opportunity for me to leave for a bit)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 25, 2015

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
gently caress yeah! I got it going. without a dollar spent.

Had the carb off to be able to take the fuel line off to see if there was a blockage when I noticed the linkage that operates the one valve on top of carb (throttle or choke) had a spring that had fallen out of place, reconnected the spring and all is good.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Captain bravo: I've not really thought about the spark plug much and maybe I'm wrong but the running perfectly for a few seconds one in 20 start attempts, to me makes me think something with the carb. I guess I could go up to the store and get a new plug though. (it's perfect weather for a bike ride and wife and kids are arguing and in a bad mood with each other so a perfect opportunity for me to leave for a bit)

An engine will still run with the wrong spark plug, but it won't be as efficient or work as well. I misunderstood and thought you'd chunked the old sparkplug and were going to continue to use the weedwhacker one, even after you fixed the main problem. v:shobon:v

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do we have a thread somewhere talking about China and Russia's masterplan to completely destroy the USD overnight that spams my news feed everyday?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Leal posted:

Do we have a thread somewhere talking about China and Russia's masterplan to completely destroy the USD overnight that spams my news feed everyday?

No, there are no threads about that conspiracy theory which Russia couldn't pull off and China wouldn't do because it would kill their already struggling economy.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Leal posted:

In your own words, define "destroying the U.S. dollar." You do understand that a "weak" dollar relative to other currencies would be an economic stimulus for the U.S., right? Exporters would face greater demand for their comparatively cheaper goods.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Leal posted:

Like... the plot of Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

mirthdefect posted:

Like... the plot of Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit?

This is a thread for stupid questions, not stupid movies.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Leal posted:

That's a new conspiracy I haven't heard of before.

China's economy largely depends on low cost goods being sold to the US and other western nations that deal in dollars. China is also heavily invested in US bonds, so a collapse of the US dollar in order to gently caress over the US would result in Chinese banks taking massive losses, as in potentially billions of dollars, since US bonds are backed by dollars. So no sane people want to tank the USD.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 26, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I couldn't find an "identify this insect" thread, so I'll ask here. What is this thing in my sink?
It's about 1/8" long.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

hooah posted:

I couldn't find an "identify this insect" thread, so I'll ask here. What is this thing in my sink?
It's about 1/8" long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscorpion

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

That's a new conspiracy I haven't heard of before.

http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/rickards/chinese-plan-to-destroy-us-dollar.php?iris=358073&ad=wc-am-cfem

I can't check my email without having some variation of China's big plan to destroy the US Dollar show up on the news feed. Other news articles include the secret plan between China and Russia, Putin's Revenge: Death of the US Dollar, 5 of the wealthiest Americans set us straight for the upcoming death of the USD and one billionaire's trip to China, and why he fears for the economy.

E: The reason I'm looking for a thread is because iirc those countries aren't exactly having the best times right now economically and makes me wonder how they can even destroy a sizable country's currency so easily.

Leal fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 26, 2015

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Leal posted:

http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/rickards/chinese-plan-to-destroy-us-dollar.php?iris=358073&ad=wc-am-cfem

I can't check my email without having some variation of China's big plan to destroy the US Dollar show up on the news feed. Other news articles include the secret plan between China and Russia, Putin's Revenge: Death of the US Dollar, 5 of the wealthiest Americans set us straight for the upcoming death of the USD and one billionaire's trip to China, and why he fears for the economy.

E: The reason I'm looking for a thread is because iirc those countries aren't exactly having the best times right now economically and makes me wonder how they can even destroy a sizable country's currency so easily.

well once you realize that jet fuel can't melt steel beams it all comes together

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What are the odds of Russia actually becoming a little imperialistic again and continuing to chip off bits of eastern europe?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Penguissimo posted:

well once you realize that jet fuel can't melt steel beams it all comes together

Well as long as the USD is backed by steel beams everything should be fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Methanar posted:

What are the odds of Russia actually becoming a little imperialistic again and continuing to chip off bits of eastern europe?

The only European countries they border that don't have NATO military protection or EU military protection or both are Ukraine and Belarus. Ukraine is already being invaded as you know, and Belarus is all about slavish devotion to Russia.

Leal posted:

They absolutely can't, and the people saying they can probably have some investments they want to sell you that they can profit off of.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What was bigger, the japan tsunami or the indonesia one?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Did chrome's bookmark icon changed for anyone else?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What was bigger, the japan tsunami or the indonesia one?

If you just mean in tidal surge height and the 2004 Indonesian one vs the one that hit Fukashima then:

Japan: 40.5m max height
Indo: 20m max height

The quake for Indo was bigger though and the death toll staggering.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Kurtofan posted:

Did chrome's bookmark icon changed for anyone else?

Yeah, it's orange now instead of yellow, and works a little bit differently (worse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

EricBauman posted:

Yeah, it's orange now instead of yellow, and works a little bit differently (worse)

No kidding, I don't need an "other bookmarks" folder.