Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

duralict posted:

Colombian internet (and infrastructure in general) is exceptional. Better than most of the US, anecdotally. Bogota's also possibly the most socially-outgoing major city I've ever seen. I did have a really hard time with their accent though.

Really? To me, the Rolo (and Paisa) accents are crystal-clear - certainly when compared to the Caribbean accent. Where did you learn Spanish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'm spending a week in Belize at the end of month. How scared should I be of the mosquitoes down there?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

arbybaconator posted:

I'm spending a week in Belize at the end of month. How scared should I be of the mosquitoes down there?

On the beach, mosquitoes aren't much of an issue in Belize, although the sand flies can be vicious.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I'll be heading to Costa Rica for a couple weeks this Friday for a vacation. My question is rather than using my AT&T sim card which is would cost $30 then $1.00 per minute, would I be able to purchase a sim card at the airport while in Costa Rica for a hundred minutes or something that would be around $30 for calling back to the us or even buy a sim card with data on it so I can use google voice while abroad?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress sand flies forever. Apparently they don't bother the locals at all, as their bodies adjust to the bites, but for tourists, many people (particularly: ME) react badly and itch for weeks. I was on the Caribbean coast in Colombia for 9 days in December but my legs were still itching a month later. It took two weeks for the bite marks to finally fade.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

keykey posted:

I'll be heading to Costa Rica for a couple weeks this Friday for a vacation. My question is rather than using my AT&T sim card which is would cost $30 then $1.00 per minute, would I be able to purchase a sim card at the airport while in Costa Rica for a hundred minutes or something that would be around $30 for calling back to the us or even buy a sim card with data on it so I can use google voice while abroad?

You can, and should buy a card at the airport, CR's cellphone system is p hosed (or at least it used to be) and getting any sort of card anywhere else is a big hassle.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The VIP lounge in the Quito airport has a cabinet of free beers. Literally everything else about the Quito airport is gay as hell and I hope this country has a big old la revolucion.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

My anti-insect plan for Belize next week. Not picture: Avon skin-so-soft for the sandflies

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kazak_Hstan posted:

The VIP lounge in the Quito airport has a cabinet of free beers. Literally everything else about the Quito airport is gay as hell and I hope this country has a big old la revolucion.

VIP lounges in most airports have free all-you-can-drink self-service booze / beer / wine + little plateaus of cheese and meat and whatever. The beer selection is usually pretty limited unless you like Heineken or Heineken though IME.

unsanitary
Dec 14, 2007

don't sweat the technique

Kazak_Hstan posted:

but you can put toilet paper in the toilet there

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I'm planing on spending about 6 weeks in Guatemala starting around mid June. Can anyone tell me about the local fare? Right now, I don't eat red meat or pork, and I was wondering if I should start trying to work them back into my diet a few weeks before I go.
Also, I'd love to hear about any must experience things there. I'm planing on checking out Tikal, Rio Dulce, and the coast to try out some surfing, but I'm mostly thinking I'll hang in Antigua or San Pedro to go to a Spanish school and brush up.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Beast Pussy posted:

I'm planing on spending about 6 weeks in Guatemala starting around mid June. Can anyone tell me about the local fare? Right now, I don't eat red meat or pork, and I was wondering if I should start trying to work them back into my diet a few weeks before I go.
Also, I'd love to hear about any must experience things there. I'm planing on checking out Tikal, Rio Dulce, and the coast to try out some surfing, but I'm mostly thinking I'll hang in Antigua or San Pedro to go to a Spanish school and brush up.

Local (Chapin) fare is pretty dull, like that of most of Central America. It'll be a lot of rice and beans (usually with lard and/or bacon) and salt, with overstewed chicken. Salad is usually grim, with a few limp leaves and little else. It seems like the best fruit is exported, as with the best coffee. If you're fine with pork grease, you won't have any problem avoiding larger pieces of beef or pork. Otherwise, learn how to ask about what's in the beans. Despite all the crunchy earth-muffin backpackers that visit Guatemala, vegetarianism really isn't a concept that a lot of Guatemalans grasp outside of the Antigua tourist ghetto.

Tikal is the highlight of the country - far and away my favorite Maya site, and I've seen over a dozen of them. Flores is the nearest city to the ruins, also an extremely pleasant place to spend a few days. It's in the middle of Lake Peten Itza, connected to the mainland by a narrow causeway. You should try to spend a night at one of the lodges adjacent to the Tikal site, as this is the only reliable way to be at the ruins for sunrise. There are few scenes like being on one of the pyramids for dawn, listening to howler monkeys roaring in the Peten jungle.

Antigua is truly gorgeous. Everyone knows it too - it's completely overrun with tourists. You can't begrudge the place for it, as it's almost impossibly charming. That said, Antigua (and San Pedro) are probably the two worst places in the Guatemala to attempt to study Spanish. The typical scenario is that someone takes an hour or two of Spanish lessons in the morning, then hooks up with backpackers from Denmark and Israel, also supposedly studying Spanish, and speaks English amongst themselves. San Pedro is are really cool location on the lake, but overrun with a different kind of tourists. You'll see gutter hippies in dreadlocks and clownpants here, many of them heavily involved in selling grass to other backpackers. The Guatemalan town is heavily Pentacostal - very heavily. It's a weird kind of place. If you like the idea of spending two weeks of wake-n-baking every day, and watching the lake breathe, you'll like San Pedro. There's definitely a party scene here, but your Spanish is very unlikely to get any better in San Pedro. Xela (aka Quetzaltenango) is Guatemala's second city, although nowhere near as harrowing as Guatemala City can be. It's very popular for Spanish study too, although unlike Antigua and San Pedro, the tourist presence is diluted by the functioning of a workaday Guatemalan City. If you're serious about studying a bit, this would be a much better place to do it.

As for surfing, good luck with that. Guatemala is not known for its beaches. The Pacific coast is mostly scorching-hot black volcanic sand, with a steep slope and fierce currents. There are a couple of desultory breaks not far from Monterrico, but nothing worth going out of your way for. (Neighboring El Salvador is where you go to surf if you're in the area.) Monterrico itself is a cool place to chill for a night or too. It's the kind of village where pigs wander in and out of open-air eateries. On weekends, it's popular with middle-class hipsters from Guatemala City, but otherwise it's really sleepy. If you're set on surfing, San Salvador is an easy bus ride from Guatemala City on the Pan-Am Highway. The city isn't particularly pleasant, but you'll need to change buses there to get to La Libertad, which is the surf capital of El Salvador. You might be able to find a shuttle all the way to the beach in El Salvador from a guesthouse or hotel on the Gringo Trail in Guatemala, which would save you the pain of changing bus terminals in San Salvador with all of your gear.

You might want to check out Copan, just across the border in Honduras. It's another Maya site, adjacent to the cool village of Copan Ruinas. The site is nowhere near as grand or extensive as Tikal, although the craftsmanship of the stellae at Copan is the best I've seen in the Maya world. The village is a neat, friendly little town where I found myself staying an extra day, just because.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

TheImmigrant posted:

Tons of great info.

Seriously, thank you so much. I'll take a look at Xela, but I also do want to do the backpacker meeting strangers experience. I'm no stranger to spanish, I'm just very out of practice. I was hoping that like 4 hours a day would be enough to at least kick me in the right direction, but I could also just take a week there and really brush up before I go do the more touristy stuff.

As for the surfing, I was looking into El Salvador, too. If it's that much better, I'll definitely adjust my plans accordingly.

I'm not really too worried about adjusting my diet for a couple months for a trip. If pork fat is going to be in everything anyway, I might as well take this excuse to enjoy some bacon and stuff to get my stomach ready.

This is my first trip abroad in a decade, and my first ever solo. So all of your advice is truly appreciated.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Anyone have recommendations for how to do the Inca Trail from Machu Picchu? I see these things that like only 500 spots are available per day and that they sell out months in advance, but OTOH I see websites telling us that it's best to show up on the spot in Cusco and get with some tour operator there. Like this place ( http://incatrailreservations.com/ ) is booked solid through mid-October. We're looking to go there in early to mid November.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Just to add a couple things to TheImmigrant's post, you might want to look into taking a trip to El Mirador when you are in Peten. I've heard its beautiful. Xela and Huehue are real cities where you won't be surrounded by backpackers 24/7. I would definitely spend a few days in each at least since you have 6 weeks. I liked Pana better than San Pedro, but neither are places I would spend a lot of time in. If you are feeling adventurous, Guatemala City is worth checking out too. Just stay out of the slums.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't know about Guatemala, but in general once you leave the US, eating truly vegetarian is a very difficult task. If you're only there for two weeks you can probably get by no problem... Good luck to you sir. My vegetarian friend gave up vegetarianism of six years to travel abroad in South America and is glad he did. Vegetarian lifestyle products like soy based meat patties are mostly nonexistent in all but the largest supermarkets in the big cities.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 27, 2015

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Saladman posted:

Anyone have recommendations for how to do the Inca Trail from Machu Picchu? I see these things that like only 500 spots are available per day and that they sell out months in advance, but OTOH I see websites telling us that it's best to show up on the spot in Cusco and get with some tour operator there. Like this place ( http://incatrailreservations.com/ ) is booked solid through mid-October. We're looking to go there in early to mid November.

Absolutely do not show up on the spot in Cusco and find a tour operator. There's a ton of shifty/lovely operations and it's not easy to sift through them. I've heard a ton of stories from other people in my hostel about bad operators when I was in Cusco. Definitely book in advance.

November is part of the wet season by the way - that's not going to be a good time to go.

My recommendation: http://www.apus-peru.com/

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I'll definitely look into El Mirador, then.
I'm not a true vegetarian, I don't eat mammals because they put out more greenhouse gasses than other animals. But I have no real ethical problem with the actual eating of meat, so I'll live.
I'm more interested in having an authentic experience than maintaining my weird lifestyle choice for a bit.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001
Anyone here have experience with getting a connecting flight in Brazil? I'm trying to fly to Europe from Chile but most of the flights connect in Brazil and I can't figure out if I need a visa (I'm a US citizen, only). I googled but information is conflicting. I called the airline and they didn't have a clue and it was TAM (Brazilian airline). I also sent an Email to the Brazilian Embassy but haven't heard back yet.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yes you need a visa to travel through Brazil with a US passport.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I don't think you should need one for a connection. Usually immigration is outside of the international terminal.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Know of a guy that went Uruguay -> Switzerland through Sao Paulo in January with a US passport and got refused at boarding because he didn't have a visa. He had to wait 3 days to get one for making an international connection, not going through immigration.

I know it sounds stupid, but there you go. Get a visa.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
Aerolineas Argentinas also has tons of options to fly from Chile to Europe (and the connection is in Argentina, which means no visa). Also LAN which does Chile-Madrid-whatever you want. Aerolineas argentinas is also usually cheaper than TAM (and newer planes)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm pretty sure you can get a Brazilian visa at any Brazilian, South American embassy in an afternoon. Shipping my Passport off to the Brazilian consulate in Houston (US) took almost a month to get it back. You can also get visas at any ground border crossing.

I'm a little surprised that the airline didn't check your friend's passport for the Visa, although I guess Uruguays and most Europeans don't have to deal with the red tape that Americans do when it comes to Brazilian customs..

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Pvt Dancer posted:

Know of a guy that went Uruguay -> Switzerland through Sao Paulo in January with a US passport and got refused at boarding because he didn't have a visa. He had to wait 3 days to get one for making an international connection, not going through immigration.

I know it sounds stupid, but there you go. Get a visa.

According to Travisa, US citizens do not need a Brazil visa to transit. That said, airlines tend to err on the side of caution, since they are responsible for onward travel for all passengers who are denied entry to a country. The tourist visa is $160 for US citizens, typically multiple-entry and good for five or ten years, depending on which mission issues it. I think you still need to validate the visa by entering Brazil within a period (30 days, maybe) after its issuance.

Hadlock posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get a Brazilian visa at any Brazilian, South American embassy in an afternoon. Shipping my Passport off to the Brazilian consulate in Houston (US) took almost a month to get it back. You can also get visas at any ground border crossing.

Brazil will not issue visas to US citizens at ports of entry. You have to get it beforehand.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TheImmigrant posted:

Brazil will not issue visas to US citizens at ports of entry. You have to get it beforehand.

I'm pretty sure we said the same thing, my apologies on the clarity of my phrasing.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I'm pretty sure we said the same thing, my apologies on the clarity of my phrasing.

Just wanted to clarify about "ground border crossing," which is not a place to get a Brazil visa. Theres a Brazilian consulate in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina (on the border) that issued visas a few years ago, but the actual ports of entry will not.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

According to Travisa, US citizens do not need a Brazil visa to transit. That said, airlines tend to err on the side of caution, since they are responsible for onward travel for all passengers who are denied entry to a country. The tourist visa is $160 for US citizens, typically multiple-entry and good for five or ten years, depending on which mission issues it. I think you still need to validate the visa by entering Brazil within a period (30 days, maybe) after its issuance.

Thing is, he didn't need it on his way there which was also a layover at Sao Paulo. Think he got a 3 day transit visa but not sure.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Admiral101 posted:

Absolutely do not show up on the spot in Cusco and find a tour operator. There's a ton of shifty/lovely operations and it's not easy to sift through them. I've heard a ton of stories from other people in my hostel about bad operators when I was in Cusco. Definitely book in advance.

November is part of the wet season by the way - that's not going to be a good time to go.

My recommendation: http://www.apus-peru.com/

Hmm, those tours are pretty crazy costly -- $1500pp for the 4 day trail. Everywhere else I've come across has been like $500-$700 pp for the exact same inca trail itinerary (e.g. http://incatrailreservations.com/tour/inca-trail/ ) including the places Lonely Planet suggested. Do Apus Peru carry you in palanquins or something?

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006

Saladman posted:

Hmm, those tours are pretty crazy costly -- $1500pp for the 4 day trail. Everywhere else I've come across has been like $500-$700 pp for the exact same inca trail itinerary (e.g. http://incatrailreservations.com/tour/inca-trail/ ) including the places Lonely Planet suggested. Do Apus Peru carry you in palanquins or something?

The 1,500 assumes a group size of 2, which I wouldn't recommend doing (they have a board where they list "open group" treks where other people can join - if you're so inclined in doing that).

I did two different things while I was in Peru: the Macchu Pichu trek with Apus, and white water rafting. The latter was much cheaper on a per-day standard than the former, and the difference was pretty evident. You basically setup your own tents, the food was pretty basic, and the group was huge. I'd probably expect something similar from a $500-700 priced 4 day trek. If that's your bag, go for it. But the extra 300-500 I spent with Apus got me stuff like hot tea and a hot breakfast, literally fresh caught fish for dinner, never pitching a tent, and a 5-person group size including the guide. I was pretty happy with it.

That said, I don't get any commission based on what you decide to do haha. The bigger issue is that going to Peru in November is going to have a larger impact on your experience than whatever agency you decide to use.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Admiral101 posted:

The 1,500 assumes a group size of 2, which I wouldn't recommend doing (they have a board where they list "open group" treks where other people can join - if you're so inclined in doing that).

I did two different things while I was in Peru: the Macchu Pichu trek with Apus, and white water rafting. The latter was much cheaper on a per-day standard than the former, and the difference was pretty evident. You basically setup your own tents, the food was pretty basic, and the group was huge. I'd probably expect something similar from a $500-700 priced 4 day trek. If that's your bag, go for it. But the extra 300-500 I spent with Apus got me stuff like hot tea and a hot breakfast, literally fresh caught fish for dinner, never pitching a tent, and a 5-person group size including the guide. I was pretty happy with it.

That said, I don't get any commission based on what you decide to do haha. The bigger issue is that going to Peru in November is going to have a larger impact on your experience than whatever agency you decide to use.

Thanks, now that makes sense. So the 2pp tours they do are actually private for 2 people, while every other tour operator showing them for ±$600 just books them up and sticks you in. Paying a little premium is palatable. I did a bare bones safari in Tanzania a few years ago and envied the people on the high-end operators that were in 4x4s that still had their suspensions... this time I have a real salary.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006

Saladman posted:

Thanks, now that makes sense. So the 2pp tours they do are actually private for 2 people, while every other tour operator showing them for ±$600 just books them up and sticks you in. Paying a little premium is palatable. I did a bare bones safari in Tanzania a few years ago and envied the people on the high-end operators that were in 4x4s that still had their suspensions... this time I have a real salary.

Actually, on a brief off-topic note: are you able to make much in the way of recommendations for safari operators in Tanzania? I'm intending to Tanzania in 2016 for Kilimanjaro/safari.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Admiral101 posted:

Actually, on a brief off-topic note: are you able to make much in the way of recommendations for safari operators in Tanzania? I'm intending to Tanzania in 2016 for Kilimanjaro/safari.

I wrote this up a couple years ago after I did it to some friends of my parents. So here's a long off topic post

TLDR: Check out Duma Explorers if you're not looking to go for the most budget option. If you're looking for the most budget option, I went with Basecamp Tanzania which was like 30% cheaper than the standard major operators (e.g. Leopard Tours) for our itinerary. The people I mention who went with Duma Explorers are extremely well traveled so I trust their opinion a lot.

------------------------------------------

My safari went through northern Tanzania (going to all of those parks and more), and I have nothing but good things to say about the whole experience. I felt like seven days was enough—I enjoyed every minute of it, but I was also ready to go back home by the end of the week. Our tour included 3 days in the Serengeti, one day in Ngorongoro Crater, one day at Lake Manyara, one day at Tarangire Nat'l Park, and then a day in a town in rural Tanzania.

The safari carriers are all pretty similar, and almost all of them start out of Arusha, which is a 7 hour bus ride or a 1 hour flight+1 hour drive from Nairobi, which is where everyone flies into. We used BaseCamp Tanzania as our tour operator. Leopard Tours is the biggest carrier, which I heard mixed reviews about, but which has some clear upsides: mainly that they run a lot more safaris than other carriers, and the guides all keep in radio contact so they know where good viewing areas are. I had some friends who did their safari with Duma Explorers and they said their cook (Remy) and guide (Seaniel) were fantastic. The food with BaseCamp Tanzania was somewhat wanting: never-ending servings of the extremely filling, but rather tedious, macaroni & cheese and eggs. If I went again I would probably try Duma Explorers.

Most tour operators are pretty flexible and will allow you to set the tour yourself to some extent, although they offer suggested itineraries for whatever X number of days you select, which is probably the best and easiest choice. The base cost is about $250/day/person for the tour itself (guide/driver + cook + car + park fees etc; plus $25-30/day tip for the driver and $10-15/day for the cook at the end of the trip). Then there are additional fees of ~$150/person/night if you choose to stay in hotels—otherwise you can just stay in camping grounds which all have running water and cold/lukewarm showers. You can alternate any number of days in a hotel vs. days in camping grounds; we stayed in a hotel one day in the middle of our tour at the recentely-renovated Serena Lodge in the Serengeti, and the hot shower and comfortable bed were extremely welcome. I think all of the hotels on the route are pretty nice, think Hilton-quality.

There's also a specialty "luxury camping safari" (offered by several operators) which claims to provide a safari the way "Ernest Hemingway and Teddy Roosevelt did it." It's quite a bit more expensive even than staying in hotels the whole time, but it's supposedly extremely nice, with extravagant tents like you'd see in films. I don't know much else about it except that it's the most expensive way to do a safari.

Other quick notes which you might already be aware of:

1. The time of year you go makes a big difference. We went during the "hot" dry season (December->February) which is supposedly the second best time of year, with the best being the "cool" dry season (June-October). March-May is the long rainy season, so I wouldn't recommend going there then since the animals are dispersed across the whole park, and because many park roads will be impassible. Animals are more concentrated nearer to rivers and watering holes in the dry seasons, which is, non-coincidentally, where most of the roads go.
2. The weather is beautiful there. I expected it to be hot, since we were in the "hot, dry season" in central Africa, but since that whole area of Africa is a plateau at an elevation of 3000-6000 feet, I guess it shouldn't've been too surprising that it was in the 70s every day, which was completely normal. I think I only wore shorts one day. Also, it's relatively bug free, at least in the dry season, but I'd still of course recommend taking malarial prophylaxis.
3. The entire trip was absolutely packed with animals. It's not an interesting scene every two hours, it's an interesting scene every five minutes (or every five seconds if you're interested in birds).
4. There's also an option to do a "balloon safari" which is like 2 hours in a hot air balloon over the Serengeti. It's somewhat expensive—~$500—but will give you unparalleled views of the landscape. We didn't do this, but if I ever go back I will.
5. If you enjoy hiking, most people bundle a Kilimanjaro hike in with their safari—almost all tour operators operate both safaris and Kilimanjaro hikes. Kilimanjaro is 5 days and pretty easy if you take Diamox for altitude sickness; I didn't talk to anyone who didn't summit. I didn't do a Kilimanjaro hike, though, but again if I go back to that part of Africa, I would.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Wow that's a great post. My wife and I are doing in this in august and are in the middle of planning our trip. Thanks a lot, man.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Back to South America: How viable is tent camping? If we're considering trekking around the wine country of Argentina, the lake district of Chile, the Atacama, Titicaca-area, Cuzco-and-environs, Cartagena-and-environs, and Costa Rica (just in general)? This would start in mid-September and go through ~Jan 1st, and in the order written (e.g. Argentina -> Lake District -> Atacama -> ...)

Is it at all worth bringing a tent and camping gear, or are hostels so cheap and safety so not good that we should just rent stuff from trekking companies the few times we -really- want to do something?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Saladman posted:

Back to South America: How viable is tent camping? If we're considering trekking around the wine country of Argentina, the lake district of Chile, the Atacama, Titicaca-area, Cuzco-and-environs, Cartagena-and-environs, and Costa Rica (just in general)? This would start in mid-September and go through ~Jan 1st, and in the order written (e.g. Argentina -> Lake District -> Atacama -> ...)

Is it at all worth bringing a tent and camping gear, or are hostels so cheap and safety so not good that we should just rent stuff from trekking companies the few times we -really- want to do something?

Tent camping really isn't done. Not sure about Argentina or Chile, where I've only been to Buenos Aires area and Misiones, but you certainly wouldn't want to do it in Colombia or Central America.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Saladman posted:

In what context? There are hundreds (thousands?) of cycle-tourists who camp on a pretty much nightly basis all across the Americas. In the cities it's not that easy, but for example Argentina & Chile have plenty of official camp grounds filled with people having barbecue until 3am.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I am going to be in Buenos Aires in a week. How do I go about changing my money at the unofficial exchange rate?

P.S. I am mostly a gringo. My Spanish is very limited (I took 4 years in high school and have been doing Duolinguo recently, but I never really practiced with native speakers).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I'm also pretty confused about visa requirements in Latin America for US citizens where I'll be going.

Argentina: You have to pay the $140 or whatever online, then when you arrive in the country, you show that proof and they stamp your passport.
Chile: It's visa-free, unless you fly into Santiago, in which case you have to pay like $140 on arrival?
Bolivia: You get one at the border, but have to pay $135 in US dollars (?) and also have a hotel reservation, a yellow fever card, and a 4x4cm photo of yourself?
Uruguay: Actually free?
Peru: Actually free?
Colombia: Actually free?
Panama: Like $5 on arrival?
Costa Rica: Also free?

Am I going to have any trouble without proof of onward travel? Basically I'll have a ticket into Argentina in September and a ticket out of San José, Costa Rica on like 3 January.

E: On closer look, it looks like maybe only Costa Rica (at least nominally) requires proof of onward travel.. so that's convenient my flight is out of there.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Saladman posted:

I'm also pretty confused about visa requirements in Latin America for US citizens where I'll be going.

Argentina: You have to pay the $140 or whatever online, then when you arrive in the country, you show that proof and they stamp your passport.
Chile: It's visa-free, unless you fly into Santiago, in which case you have to pay like $140 on arrival?
Bolivia: You get one at the border, but have to pay $135 in US dollars (?) and also have a hotel reservation, a yellow fever card, and a 4x4cm photo of yourself?
Uruguay: Actually free?
Peru: Actually free?
Colombia: Actually free?
Panama: Like $5 on arrival?
Costa Rica: Also free?

Am I going to have any trouble without proof of onward travel? Basically I'll have a ticket into Argentina in September and a ticket out of San José, Costa Rica on like 3 January.

E: On closer look, it looks like maybe only Costa Rica (at least nominally) requires proof of onward travel.. so that's convenient my flight is out of there.

In practice, the onward ticket requirement is only enforced if they want to gently caress with you. If you roll up at a border crossing in clown pants and dreadlocks, the Ticos might want to see proof of adequate funds and a ticket out of their country. In reality, they rarely ask. The Argentines and Chileans will make sure they get their airport fees though, which makes Montevideo an attractive airport.