Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Communism posted:

Pfft, Beam. Get on the level and get a bottle of Evan Williams. Better taste, $10/750ml

I've had evan williams and i keep seeing people touting it but in this specific instance I just like Beam a little better. That Woodinville Rye last night though holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Happy sunday yall

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Das Volk posted:

Friday is my good day. I could pay my credit card off or buy a Focus RS :negative: perhaps being responsible is the answer.

Last I heard all you could get was an allocation number for a couple hundred? :confused:

I need to find a local Ford dealer I like.

edit: looks like the allocation info I heard about is likely bullshit

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 26, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Good weekend. Geeking out at WhoFest 2. Met Colin Baker (Doctor Who #6), Nicola Bryant (one of the Doctor's Companions from Colin's era), Terry Malloy (Davros from the classic series), and Nicolas Briggs (voice of the Cybermen and Daleks in the recent series.) Talked and listened to bunches of other geeks talk about Doctor Who and related. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

Next weekend is the annual Pate Swap Meet out at the Motor Speedway for the Dallas/Ft. Worth-area folks. Going to be getting my car nerd on all weekend there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

Happy Sunday

Dammit man don't post poo poo like that on my days off, I see too much of that poo poo during the week. One hell of a home setup though, what do you use it for?

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Happy sunday yall

Z3 shifter is in the E21 along with new shifter bushings...holy poo poo what a difference. Now that's in I can think about getting an exhaust finished.

Dad just sent a picture of the race car with a fresh coat of Fleet Farm's finest spray paint. Almost can't tell they replaced all the passenger side sheet metal.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

It's crazy how much dirt and debris gets in my car in only one week. Can't wait for the pollen. :jerkbag: Time to attack my vents with Q-Tips.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

I'm surw theres a whiskey drinker or two in AI, So I wanted to whore this out. The finest sipping whiskey I have personally come across in the actually obtainable range. By which I mean not some housand dollar one of six limited reserve bullshit. It's a Seattle local whiskey, but if anyone finds it online GET IT. I'm now ojna god damned mission to find a wholel botttle of y own.

Holu fuxk its good

I had a beer the other day that was aged in one of their barrels, gonna probably hit the distillery next week, have heard good things.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'm hungover. Going back to bed

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Happy Sunday commie, I'm stuck at work too...

leica posted:

This never works, and thankfully my wife doesn't make me do it because her best friend's husband is a moron.

Finding a couple that you both like is close to impossible, just hang out with your own friends and leave your spouse out of it :colbert:
My best man and his gf are my wife's and mine's best friends. We have quite a few "couples" friends that we like one person and not so much the other... I don't force her to hang out with my friends and she does the same.

Jum beam is my go to broke wheoskey with bulliet rye my feelng fancy and t how bowsl both of them out lf the wawattwr

Same here. Beam is what I get for whiskey cokes. Dick, I might fb message you about that rye whiskey. I was on a rye kick for a bit, currently I've got a couple of Japanese whiskeys that are oh so delicious!

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

mafoose posted:

I've got a couple of Japanese whiskeys that are oh so delicious!

Taketsuru Nikka whiskey?
So delicious

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Dammit man don't post poo poo like that on my days off, I see too much of that poo poo during the week. One hell of a home setup though, what do you use it for?

That is my office setup, the weekend is the only time I get to bring servers up or down for maintenance. We needed as larger storage array, so we bought this guy.

THIS, is my home setup:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 26, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

For something you actually want to drive, carburetors suck. EFI is not much more expensive, if at all, if you use OEM components, and almost infinitely more reliable. I'd go with a hacked GM TBI before a carb. MegaSquirt preferably.

Replying to this here, because kastein asked me to not have conversation in poo poo up his thread.

What are the drivability problems with carbs? Both my daily and my truck are carbureted, and they seem fine. The closest things to "problems" I've had was that I had to rebuild the Holley on the truck after 50 years because it started dripping from the float bowl, and the Edelbrock on the car started idling weird one day (because my aircleaner hadn't been mounted correctly for longer than I'd like to admit), so I spent an afternoon with a can of carb cleaner and it's been fine since.

GM TBI seems fine if you value reliability and off-angle performance more than you do power. That's why I mentioned it. Megasquirt would be cool, but it seems like a lot of work for what you get. Plus, you'd have to do up a custom manifold with injector bungs and all that. Would be a neat project, though.

All these options are better than going out of your way to put a Chrysler motor into something, rather than taking it out :v:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

mafoose posted:

Japanese whiskeys

A buddy of mine hooked me up with a couple glasses of Yamazaki 18 that was loving phenomenal.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
A properly tuned carb is a good actually. My jjjjaaaagggg has a carbed 400 small block and it starts and runs fine.

It does get crabby when cold but meh. The bigger problem was E-10/15 bringing in all the gunk into the jets, etc.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Wally Joyner posted:

Taketsuru Nikka whiskey?
So delicious
Ding ding ding!
Just finished a bottle of this a couple weeks ago.

Quite A Tool posted:

A buddy of mine hooked me up with a couple glasses of Yamazaki 18 that was loving phenomenal.
Currently working on a Yamazaki 12.

They're both phenomenal. I think I like the Nikka a hair better.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Raluek posted:

Replying to this here, because kastein asked me to not have conversation in poo poo up his thread.

What are the drivability problems with carbs? Both my daily and my truck are carbureted, and they seem fine. The closest things to "problems" I've had was that I had to rebuild the Holley on the truck after 50 years because it started dripping from the float bowl, and the Edelbrock on the car started idling weird one day (because my aircleaner hadn't been mounted correctly for longer than I'd like to admit), so I spent an afternoon with a can of carb cleaner and it's been fine since.

GM TBI seems fine if you value reliability and off-angle performance more than you do power. That's why I mentioned it. Megasquirt would be cool, but it seems like a lot of work for what you get. Plus, you'd have to do up a custom manifold with injector bungs and all that. Would be a neat project, though.

All these options are better than going out of your way to put a Chrysler motor into something, rather than taking it out :v:

There's nothing really wrong with carbs, but anything you can do with carbs you can do better, easier, more reliable, more efficiently with injection.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mafoose posted:

I think I like the Nikka a hair better.
If you're ever in Hokkaido, pay a visit to the Nikka distillery in Yoichi. Free samples and a few options that they only sell on-site, plus it's interesting to wander around the place.

Cakefool posted:

There's nothing really wrong with carbs, but anything you can do with carbs you can do better, easier, more reliable, more efficiently with injection.
Perhaps, but carbs are right for some things.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Agreed.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Car is cleaned, washed, and gassed up. Grocery shopped for the week. Swept the first floor. Cooking dinner in the crock-pot. Laundry is in the wash. eBay items are packaged up ready to ship. Time to twist up an L and go on auto-pilot until Game of Thrones tonight.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Why am I only just now discovering Devin Townsend? Holy poo poo, I've been missing out :stare:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cakefool posted:

More efficiently? Definitely. Easier? Depends. The motor in question was an AMC small block, which doesn't have a lot of options. Either a $2500 Edelbrock sequential EFI setup, or a cheap junkyard GM TBI setup that you have to Frankenstein (which, IIRC, is great for economy and reliability, but doesn't make a lot of power). Or keep it carbureted, which is the cheap, easy option that makes power.

Darchangel said that carbs suck "for anything you actually want to drive", but to me the tradeoffs are really just in smoothness and economy. I don't see how my life sucks because I drive carbureted vehicles. Because you have to pump the pedal twice and choke it up a little bit to start it when it's cold? :shrug:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

All that is true, and I am not against discussing it, I just want my thread not getting derailed that badly :v:

1 - carbs are a huge step back from EFI, period. I can drive from sea level to 10 thousand feet with factory EFI and not have running issues without rejetting. I can start it up after 10 months sitting, in the dead of winter, and it Just Works. I can turbo it if I so choose, without building a goofy blowthrough carb setup or flushing gas through my compressor.
2 - it is federally illegal to do what you suggested. I don't really give a gently caress, but the point remains, even if a cop wants to gently caress with me, they can't do poo poo about my 94, 96, 98, or 99 chrysler/dodge/jeep motor in an 88 jeep, since I will be transplanting the entire EFI system and emissions system as well, it is 100% federal emissions legal.
3 - I would have to spend more money and go more out of my way to get a 360 or something to put in. They are good motors, don't get me wrong, and if I had an FSJ I would be throwing a 360 and GM TBI in in a second.
4 - the ECUs for all the engines I am considering (which I already own) are natively compatible with the gauge set I am using, all I have to do is splice two databus wires and they all work. And that gauge pack is a factory jeep part and fits right into the dash I am swapping in, which fits right into the chassis with very little work.
5 - by far the most significant one - I am not going for raw power. If I was, I would be throwing a GM LQ9, an NV4500, and a BW4401 in and turboing the dong off it. Bang for buck you can't beat Vortecs right now. But the point of this build is to make what would have been a comanche SRT-8 in 1997 or so, if they hadn't discontinued the line. Therefore, I am going to try to use as many chrysler/jeep/dodge parts as I can and as little custom fab drivetrain stuff as possible. I've already done two EFI swaps like this on goons rides, the 4.0 EFI swap into Sandbagger and the other one into SiF's dad's CJ5, and have the recipe pretty much down, so it is time to see how cleanly I can do a "factory" V8 swap.

Basically my intent is to build a 1997 Jeep Comanche SRT-8 cleanly enough, and with enough factory parts, that I could bring it to a car show, pop the hood, and have a chrysler engineer scratch their head and wonder if it was factory or not.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Okay, with that as a design goal then that's fine. I was approaching it from the angle of "I want a V8 in my Jeep" which to me means "I want to make power in my Jeep" so I suggested solutions that made more power than what I believe those Magnums do. I agree an LQ9 would be best, but I figured the AMC motor kept it in the family.

I usually consider EFI vs carb to be a function of what motor you use and what your usage case is, rather than by what vehicle it's going into. Like, it doesn't matter if the vehicle had EFI originally to me, it matters what options exist for the motor. I'd never put a carburetor on an LS motor, even if it was going into a carbureted vehicle. I'd probably also not bother putting EFI on an oldschool smallblock. I don't see it as a huge difference if we're talking the difference between mediocre EFI and a decent carb. My carbureted 350 starts fine in the dead of winter after sitting indefinitely too, just gotta pump it a couple times and pull the choke. EFI is neat though for offroading, which is why I mentioned the GM TBI.

Since you have a particular vision for the project, none of this applies, I'm just explaining why I think my viewpoint isn't completely idiotic. Plus, I just really like AMC stuff and really don't like the Magnum V8s. Without knowledge of your specific project, it just seemed like a lot of work to go through to swap in a motor that makes like 250HP. :shobon:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

T1g4h posted:

Why am I only just now discovering Devin Townsend? Holy poo poo, I've been missing out :stare:

It's not all bad. You now have around 10 amazing albums to discover.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc1ysusExtc

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'd rather have a turbodiesel Jeep, what the hell is with all the V8 love in Jeeps? Gimme more torque and fuel efficiency.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Tomarse posted:

It's not all bad. You now have around 10 amazing albums to discover.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc1ysusExtc

This is my current favorite of the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rok8QPT9NO4

The riffs are loving awesome.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

Okay, with that as a design goal then that's fine. I was approaching it from the angle of "I want a V8 in my Jeep" which to me means "I want to make power in my Jeep" so I suggested solutions that made more power than what I believe those Magnums do. I agree an LQ9 would be best, but I figured the AMC motor kept it in the family.

I usually consider EFI vs carb to be a function of what motor you use and what your usage case is, rather than by what vehicle it's going into. Like, it doesn't matter if the vehicle had EFI originally to me, it matters what options exist for the motor. I'd never put a carburetor on an LS motor, even if it was going into a carbureted vehicle. I'd probably also not bother putting EFI on an oldschool smallblock. I don't see it as a huge difference if we're talking the difference between mediocre EFI and a decent carb. My carbureted 350 starts fine in the dead of winter after sitting indefinitely too, just gotta pump it a couple times and pull the choke. EFI is neat though for offroading, which is why I mentioned the GM TBI.

Since you have a particular vision for the project, none of this applies, I'm just explaining why I think my viewpoint isn't completely idiotic. Plus, I just really like AMC stuff and really don't like the Magnum V8s. Without knowledge of your specific project, it just seemed like a lot of work to go through to swap in a motor that makes like 250HP. :shobon:

Yeah, I am not really a fan of the magnum motors, they don't make much power and aftermarket upgrades are both expensive and not much of an upgrade. But... eh, they are what the factory would have used. V:v:V

As for diesels, there is no real good option for small jeeps:
TDI - expensive, minimal power gains over stock drivetrain without extensive tuning
Renault 2.1L - gently caress everything about that. Gutless, no replacement parts available, rare.
VM Motori 2.5L - kinda gutless, rare in the US, disliked even in XJs abroad.
Cummins B series - monstrous, heavy, need like 4 inches of lift just to clear the oilpan.
Merc OM6xx - probably the best bet, but still kinda gutless compared to a stock motor.

For an FSJ I would go with a 6.2/6.5L, maybe a T444E, or a cummins B series without question. They should all fit pretty easy and any of them would be a neat swap. But XJs/MJs are too small for this kind of thing, probably. Actually, a T444E might fit... and is my usual 300 dollar price limit... hmmmmmmmmm.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

VM Motori 2.5L - kinda gutless, rare in the US, disliked even in XJs abroad.
The best description I heard of this engine is "Not so much an Italian stallion as a very determined carthorse".

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You could do a 6.5 lump in a jeep but that's a heavy gutless motor too.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

T1g4h posted:

This is my current favorite of the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rok8QPT9NO4

The riffs are loving awesome.

My current favourite is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NGQjRMXg28

The riffs are loving awesome in a lot of DTP songs.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
DTP is ok but comes off as throwaway pop most of the time to me, his old stuff is way better :bahgawd:. You want Accelerated Evolution (incl. Deadhead, as already mentioned) and Ocean Machine: Biomech https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goy5tAVlv8s. If you want heavier, go back to Strapping Young Lad, especially City https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpObUCzDKE. If you want lighter, check out Terria and Synchestra.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Devin Townsend...so drat good. It's like a little prize every time my USB drive randoms up one of his songs.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

mafoose posted:

Ding ding ding!
Just finished a bottle of this a couple weeks ago.

Currently working on a Yamazaki 12.

They're both phenomenal. I think I like the Nikka a hair better.

I desperately want to try these but stupid Canadian law won't let me bring them into the country unless I order it through a government store. The government store won't order it unless I get a substantial amount (like 2-3 cases) at Canadian retail prices + duty + any shipping charges.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

T1g4h posted:

PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE SUBJUGATION

Listen to Ziltoid right the gently caress now. Skip Z2

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Back to booze chat. If you like gin, check out Ransom's Old Tom. Aged in barrels for 6-8 months, it is unlike most other gins out there (that I've tasted). It's from Oregon, so I don't know if their distribution is that wide.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Only if it involves metal recycling. gently caress carbs forever, fuel injection can even do induction roar better.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

Only if it involves metal recycling. gently caress carbs forever, fuel injection can even do induction roar better.
I'm not talking about the kind of stuff where words like "induction roar" (or "performance", "economy", "the fact it's running is not worth commenting on" etc) would be applied.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Brb gonna go convert a Testarossa 250 GTO to megasquirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cat Terrist posted:

Carbs are staples on small engines. I had a minor carb triumph today with dad's big 15hp Kawasaki twin-driven Snapper Pro walk behind.

He didn't use Stabil like I suggested (and offered), and I got some 911 emails a couple weeks ago that he couldn't get it started. I went over and took a look and found that it wasn't getting gas. There was a fuel pump driven off of the vacuum of one cylinder (I'd never seen that before), but it was stuck. I sucked and blew on it a bit and got it back to pumping and it started up. After that, though, it kept getting worse. Lower and lower revs until it would die when you tried to engage the blades.

I took the carb off today and went to town on cleaning it. I have never had success with carbs, by the point I pull one, I'm pretty much resigned to buying a new one. But, I took it apart, found some crap in the bowl, took out the jets and carb cleaner'd everything. Put it back together and... wow, the fucker actually started and looks like it's making full power!

Good day given from the carb god, but yeah, gently caress carbs in general.

• Locked thread