Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

loquacius posted:

So does Gary McCoy and people aren't falling all over themselves to give him awards for things

Yes, but Ramirez's audience are exclusively rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Rorus Raz posted:

Random lazy Sunday question, but who are everybody's top five best cartoonists and top five "best of the worst"? Don't order them: just a general top five.

And by "best of the worst", I mean those who are excellent artists, can craft a solid visual metaphor, but have the oh-so-tiny flaw of being racist, misogynistic scumbags.

Again: DON'T PUT THEM IN ORDER. Just a general top five for those two categories.

best: Bennett, Sack, Bors, Two Bulls, Pope

bestworst: Mac, JRRose, Latuff, Lisa, Allie

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

loquacius posted:

Also agreed with Jedit that Ramirez doesn't get a spot, I legit do not understand why the right loves him so much

His art is very elaborate and detailed, he frequently draws "deep" cartoons, and he's not afraid to lay down burns on anyone. He's also really bad at all those things, but he can fake it well enough that you actually need to pause and think about his bungled metaphor, or notice how he isn't just making stylistic choices; he really can't draw anything that doesn't come with a blueprint.

The one thing he's good at is keeping up with the GOP talking point of the day. He's done several cartoons of Obama with a Mission Accomplished! banner, he's been saying Iran is 3-5 months away from a nuke for years and he's done back-to-back cartoons criticizing Obama for not doing something and then criticizing him for doing it. He drew weekly DEBT cartoons when that was the big stink. No one else represents the conservative media as well as he does.

He doesn't get caught up in personal stuff, either. Tinsley will happily slander his personal enemies and spend weeks on a non-item that bothers him, Mike Lester has been really angry about gays for a while now, and Glenn and Gary McCoy have a personal vendetta against black people and women, respectively. Whenever Ramirez does a non-item cartoon, it's always something milquetoast like "Obama makes a left turn off a cliff in a car labeled America" or "Someone says taxes good, a baby says taxes bad."

He really is the best right-wing cartoonist if you consider Fox News to be an accurate representation of the US public, and don't consider talent or integrity to be important.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

achillesforever6 posted:

Ugh Rob probably means well but this is a pretty lovely comic

The drone is at a disadvantage in this competition because "innocent" has been redefined as "white, Christian, English-speaking westerners".

So, it's the TTIP?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

achillesforever6 posted:

Ugh Rob probably means well but this is a pretty lovely comic

How have none of the usual suspects made a cartoon about that evil Obama intentionally killing two innocent hostages yet?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Well done you have successfully identified the exercise

Actually, it was a miserable failure. If WF had actually read the original request, it was for the best of the worst, in that, sure, we don't agree with them, but they are mechanically good at art and can portray a good metaphor; and believe it or not, we have actually conceded (rarely as we may do) that there are cartoonists with Incorrect Opinions who can actually do that. But as is mostly usual, WitchFetish is probably not arguing in good faith.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Actually, it was a miserable failure. If WF had actually read the original request, it was for the best of the worst, in that, sure, we don't agree with them, but they are mechanically good at art and can portray a good metaphor; and believe it or not, we have actually conceded (rarely as we may do) that there are cartoonists with Incorrect Opinions who can actually do that. But as is mostly usual, WitchFetish is probably not arguing in good faith.

Allie is a blind cheerleader, but his art is great. Ramirez is technically competent, but his stylistic choices are generally seen as annoying. Asay had generally nice drawing, unfortunately paired with frothingly bigoted sentiments. There are also quite a few cartoonists who can't draw for poo poo and are Republicans.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

After The War posted:

Credit where it's due, these two are by Bill Mauldin, which is good because we rarely get to see his 60s work.
Are you sure that's not just Herblock's alternate pen name? 13 and 14 are basically identical.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Ok, I fell for it.

Best of the best: Two Bulls, Kreider, Kelly, Bennett, and surprise success story Don Asmussen Bad Reporter

Best of the worst: McKee, Allie, Luojie, JJ McCullough, and this category's eternal lich-king Chuck Asay

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

duz posted:

Because no cartoon duck is allowed to wear pants for a reason.

Via legal issues, Howard has to wear pants or else

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Aww why are all the fun things on this thread usually over and done with by the time I'm at work/asleep? Usually all I get is the drama

Best: Bennett, Lukovich, Two Bulls, Kelly, Sorensen

Worst: Allie, Ramirez, Bok, Benson, Tinsley

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Apollo?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, that is definitely Apollo as a duck.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Best: Bors, Bennett, Ruben Bolling (Tom the Dancing Bug), Sorensen, Marty Two-Bulls

"Worst": Asay, Glenn McCoy, Allie, Latuff, Varvel

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Dr. Hurt posted:

Ducks are sexual predators, so it's probably related to his probation.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
All this exercise is doing is demonstrating how much a bunch of bustas y'all are

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of ducks, Mallard Fillmore reminds me -at least in design- of Canardo, the Belgian anthropomorphic, depressive, alcoholic duck noir detective.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Best: Marty Two Bulls, Darrin Bell, Ruben Bolling, Ben Sargent, and Tim Krieder. A good editorial cartoon in the classic muckrakers' tradition should be pointed (almost to the point of poisonousness as the situation warrants) and should afflict the comfortable (even people on "your side"). Two Bulls and Bell, in particular, have the outsider perspective and fearlessness to really be effective at that, as well as great art and command of metaphor.

Honorable mentions to Bors, Sorensen, Priggee, Bagley, Nick Anderson, Luckovich, and ENOS.

"Worst:" Stantis (a bit out of place, as he is the only non-shithead on this list, but he is on the other hand responsible for Prickly City), Allie, Van Arend, Latuff, and Tinsley (who at least showed that he has potential, once).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dr. Hurt posted:

Spidey looks like he's assumed the role of crying Lady Liberty behind the window. INNOCENT ANATIDAE

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The best who do my opinions: Bolling, Kreider, Latuff, Nowicki, Priggee

The best with whom I strongly disagree: Allie, Asay, Delonas, McCoy The Greater, McCullough

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WitchFetish posted:

Speaking of ducks, Mallard Fillmore reminds me -at least in design- of Canardo, the Belgian anthropomorphic, depressive, alcoholic duck noir detective.

He reminds me of everything except the noir detective bit.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jedit posted:

He reminds me of everything except the noir detective bit.

Overly pushy drunkard of a noir reporter.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Mallard Fillmore: Year One (August 22-27, 1994)

There was, indeed, a "Where's Waldo?" newspaper strip when these ran. It was from Mallard's syndicate, too.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Best: Krieder, Horsey, JJ, Bagley, ENOS

"Worst": Bors, Sorensen, Allie, Two Bulls, Latuff

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Overly pushy drunkard of a noir reporter.

He's only noiresque because he drinks hard. Beyond that Mallard Fillmore has so little context these days that he's only even a reporter in name only.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jedit posted:

He's only noiresque because he drinks hard. Beyond that Mallard Fillmore has so little context these days that he's only even a reporter in name only.

Well you're forgetting that he's the politoon equivalent of a sleazy reporter type.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Sex and Bad Language! What a terrible world we live in!

I wonder if you could get him to go off on a rant about bad language and cigarettes even today.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Best: Rorus Raz edits.

Worst: Other goons.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
That's the tragic thing. Rorus invited this.

Best: I, Used, To, Respect, You.
Best of the Worst: You, Have, Broken, My, Heart.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

I love that these were intended to be about gun control but they actually make more sense if interpreted as being about abortion.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Best: Bors, Bennett, Bolling, Bagley, Sorenson (Why can't Sorenson start with a B?)

Best of the Worst: Allie, Asay, JJ, Benson, Whichever McCoy is slightly less poo poo

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm pretty sure Rorus only dreamt up this exercise to out the self-important contrarians among us. They are, as suspected, WitchFetish and Small Frozen Thing, so I guess this actually was kind of a waste of time.

Best: Luckovich, Bennett, Bagley, Bolling, Rogers
Evil Best: Beeler, McCoy, Delonas, Varvel, Smith Jr.

You know, as far as Evil Best go, I'm kind of digging 1994 Mallard Fillmore. It used to be not only better drawn and have a story, but it was much more offensive. I wonder when exactly he started mailing it in.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

WitchFetish posted:

That actually sounds like it's worth a chuckle. Any good?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Best: Tinsley
Worst: Bennett

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jagchosis posted:

Best: Tinsley
Worst: Bennett

Triggered

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Titus Sardonicus posted:

That actually sounds like it's worth a chuckle. Any good?

A classic.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

Best: Liccar
Worst: Nowicki

:twisted:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Nobody ever cursed and teenagers never hosed before the election of Bill Clinton. It's a fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I love that old dumb duck

• Locked thread