Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Does anyone know of any no mess bird feeders that are really narrow? I need to find one that can fit over my birds food door but its an unusually narrow bird door (he is a very small budgie), about 2-1/2 - 3 inches wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
I was thinking about how some birds can understand a fair amount of what we communicate to them, especially bigger birds, and it got me wondering. Does anyone know how a bird would react to a multilingual household? I'd love to see how a smarty pants like a grey would handle that. :3

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I got a new birb today!!

Amadeus is not sure how he feels about this.

ty so much blackflare!!! and ty Chaosfeather/RAYGUN too! :buddy:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
:siren: High alert! Engage meerkat neck! :siren:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's the way Ama's neck is extended that really makes that photo

Smettbo
Sep 18, 2008
That bird is Ama in pokemon form.

I visited a bird store today! I do not know how to handle birds. A macaw beckoned to me, climbed up my arm, picked at my jacket zipper, and got nippy when I tried to do anything with her other than be a bird stand.

Also they had a cage full of finches. I couldn't hear them normally over the ambient cacophony of the store, but once I got to standing right in front of their cage it was just an endless stream of meepmeepmeepmeepmeep and :3:

Smettbo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 26, 2015

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i could not get a bird because i would feel bad about taking it away from its friends

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I got a new birb today!!

Yaaaay double birb!

I'm glad I could be of assistance.

Artist person! When you are no longer busy I'll post Ivan photos for mine, and at that point I'll post/redact my e-mail address.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I was told there are handmade bird plushies here, this is really amazing, I'm super impressed!!

Also hi dreggon it figures you have many irl bird friends

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I was thinking about how some birds can understand a fair amount of what we communicate to them, especially bigger birds, and it got me wondering. Does anyone know how a bird would react to a multilingual household? I'd love to see how a smarty pants like a grey would handle that. :3

My friends grey was raised in a house where their childhood GSDs were doing Shutzhund. Kinshasa would regularly call them into the room and yell at them in her dads voice, in German.

However, one day Connie was upset about sorting and was pacing.
Kinshasa: "Connie!"
Connie stops pacing: "What Kinshasa?"
Kinshasa: "Sitzhund." (Sit)
Connie, confused, sits on her bed.
Kinshasa, pleased: "Brav!" (Good!)

I would be skeptical of this but I later experienced an argument they had about whether or not kinshasa should go into time out for biting me.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
do chickens have diseases that can spread to parrots

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Dreggon posted:

i could not get a bird because i would feel bad about taking it away from its friends

You say this as if we aren't a starter culture for birds in general. :colbert:

We all floof down here...

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

do chickens have diseases that can spread to parrots

My friends Grey (mentioned in the above post) is thought to have gotten bird flu from their house keeper after she took care of their chickens. Those cluckers can withstand some hatch poo poo, I wouldn't risk it.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Chaosfeather posted:

Yaaaay double birb!

Artist person! When you are no longer busy I'll post Ivan photos for mine, and at that point I'll post/redact my e-mail address.

Yes same, I would still love to buy one as well!

I think this deserves a repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1wAjcWHkDY

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

mikerock posted:

And the Quaker just sits there and vibrates.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

mikerock posted:

ringnecks look like fake birds

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Dreggon posted:

ringnecks look like fake birds

they are made of clay and given false life through dark sorcery

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
Ok against everything my brain told me, I went yesterday afternoon to meet Slim the female eclectus. I went at dinner time so her current owner could show what would be involved w feeding this bird. It's all the crap fry turns his beak up at unless he can steal it from my mouth.

She's been plucking for about a month but it looks like the feathers have been trimmed more than yanked so here's hoping they grow back.

She was majestic and quiet and always watching. Then she started to kiss me about every 2 minutes. She took to me quicker than he's ever seen her take to people.

I'm an idiot and I fell in love.

She moves in Tuesday for a trial period of between two weeks and a month. If i can handle her good, but if not her breeder will take her back and she will become an unhandled breeder bird. That hurts my heart so I'm gonna try this.

Pray to all the gods for a kenshin, Alexis, and auri situation.

The size difference is astounding. She never bit. If I did something she didn't like she'd move my hand w her beak. This bird is smart. I'm in trouble.

And she mimics and talks.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

She sounds wonderful. We'll need pictures for proof, though.

Glad she didn't bite, I've found that as long as I respect what my large bird tells me with his body language I can avoid agitating him enough to warrant a bite.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, I do remember hearing ekkies need a bit more specific diet than their South American cousins.

Sounds like a very sweet bird.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I just found out that there's a bird rescue a couple of hours away from me:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iowa-Parrot-Rescue/104511253718

My love of watching adorable birb videos might blossom into being a birbhaver

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Eejit posted:

Glad she didn't bite, I've found that as long as I respect what my large bird tells me with his body language I can avoid agitating him enough to warrant a bite.

Let me post her pic to imgur and get it up here for yall. To see. Give me a minute. What type of large bird do you have?

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, I do remember hearing ekkies need a bit more specific diet than their South American cousins.

Sounds like a very sweet bird.

Lots of fresh stuff... Like her diet must be heavy in vitamin A which is ok, because she likes sweet potatoes. He's sending her w a months worth of pre made meals to help us adjust.

I've never lived w a bird this big. My biggest baby has been a Quaker. Slim is at least 4 Fry's in size. I just hope nobody gets hurt and we all get along

Here you go. Judge for yourself. Is this bird acceptable?

zbeezy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 26, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Eejit posted:

I've found the bigger the animal, the less likely they are to bite. They have the confidence to tell you no and then bite if you go to far, whereas little things just bite you just cause. Dogs especially, birds, less so cats but still a bit.

You can tell the difference easy in dogs because big ones aren't yappy little shits.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

I've found the bigger the animal, the less likely they are to bite. They have the confidence to tell you no and then bite if you go to far, whereas little things just bite you just cause. Dogs especially, birds, less so cats but still a bit.

You can tell the difference easy in dogs because big ones aren't yappy little shits.

Fry the green cheek bites me bc he can and he's a spoiled little poo poo.

I was amazed that this huge bird was so gentle w me.

I actually thought Slim was going to bite my lips off, but her current owner assured me she was just trying to get a kiss. He also said she was untamed and down right mean when he got her last year. He took all the bites and now she's so sweet, BUT she steps up,backwards because that was the only was he could pick her up then wo a chomp

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Chaosfeather posted:

Yaaaay double birb!

Sure post some pictures and give me any specific colors you want for certain areas. I might not get started right away but at least I'll have all the colors sorted so I can cut pieces out.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Mine all grew up with the native language here and lived with it for various amounts of time, before moving to our mostly English speaking household. They don't really seem to care, a sound is a sound. I don't know if they ever knew commands etc in the other language, but they definitely don't listen to it now :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I got a new birb today!!

It came out great, even if Ama is not at all impressed by his doppelgänger.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

With dogs especially, any large animal that is unduly hostile to humans will also get culled and not able to pass on its genes, one way or another. Smaller, more harmless animals can get away with a lot more poo poo that way so it never gets bred out.

I know there are a few times my dad's cockatiel would have rent me asunder when I bumped her feathers the wrong way, but all it amounted to was some adorable beak bonking :derptiel: :3:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Well yeah, that's part of domestication, which no parrot species has actually gone through (with the possible partial exception of English Budgies).

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

PS

Inko discovered a new way to nap recently

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That's actually kind of genius :lol:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Tasty_Crayon posted:

My friends grey was raised in a house where their childhood GSDs were doing Shutzhund. Kinshasa would regularly call them into the room and yell at them in her dads voice, in German.

However, one day Connie was upset about sorting and was pacing.
Kinshasa: "Connie!"
Connie stops pacing: "What Kinshasa?"
Kinshasa: "Sitzhund." (Sit)
Connie, confused, sits on her bed.
Kinshasa, pleased: "Brav!" (Good!)

I would be skeptical of this but I later experienced an argument they had about whether or not kinshasa should go into time out for biting me.

That's amazing! I love Kinshasa stories. :kimchi:

Battle Pigeon posted:

Mine all grew up with the native language here and lived with it for various amounts of time, before moving to our mostly English speaking household. They don't really seem to care, a sound is a sound. I don't know if they ever knew commands etc in the other language, but they definitely don't listen to it now :v:

Interesting! I guess there's no reason to hold on to old vocab if it's not being used.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 26, 2015

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I just got back from picking up my new conure. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I can see why people call them velcro birds already. He's clambering all over me and my keyboard.. So far, the highlight seems to be him discovering that my glasses make an excellent perch.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
It's like cliff camping. Clever, clever bird.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Battle Pigeon posted:

Inko discovered a new way to nap recently

Inko's ready to scale half dome

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

zbeezy posted:

Let me post her pic to imgur and get it up here for yall. To see. Give me a minute. What type of large bird do you have?

Lots of fresh stuff... Like her diet must be heavy in vitamin A which is ok, because she likes sweet potatoes. He's sending her w a months worth of pre made meals to help us adjust.

I've never lived w a bird this big. My biggest baby has been a Quaker. Slim is at least 4 Fry's in size. I just hope nobody gets hurt and we all get along

Here you go. Judge for yourself. Is this bird acceptable?

Male white cockatoo, probably 30% larger than Slim. She is beautiful!

I would heartily disagree. I would attribute any perceived difference to it just being easier to read a large bird's body language for the average person. Also play bite vs real bite is a big difference. Teeka does not bite unless he means it, but he is ready to do it if his boundaries are not respected.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Soylent Yellow posted:

I just got back from picking up my new conure. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I can see why people call them velcro birds already. He's clambering all over me and my keyboard.. So far, the highlight seems to be him discovering that my glasses make an excellent perch.

Soon both of you will discover that your glasses also don't belong there.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I went to my favorite pet store where I originally purchased Sammy. They have new birds in (alas I didn't get pictures of all of them) but I was able to snap a few for y'all to enjoy.

This is their store mascot, he has a huge open pen to roam around.

They have some adorable cinnamon and pineapple conures that sorely tempt me. The pineapple one is a cute little baby.

Last of all was this guy. He was napping until I walked up.

They also have a Quaker, an African Grey that just came in, and oodles of finches and budgies. Normally they have a whole pen of ridiculous cockatiels too, but they sell out really quickly.

Birds! :3:

vvvv zbeezy, that's awesome. I'm glad you decided to take her in, she's beautiful. I'm hoping they all get along great!

Shirec fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 27, 2015

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
Well, Slim's owner called me today during his break in tears. During the five hours he was gone she tore out lots of wing feathers, so he asked if I could take her today. I said fine come over. Only issue? Fry was already being a hormonal butthead today having pinched my ear so hard he drew blood.

Slim adjusted beautifully. While he old owner was here we tried to let them both out. Slim was nervous about Fry, but Fry thinks he's a really big bird and knew who was boss. I didn't want them to touch each other yet, so when Fry flew onto old owners head I took him off and Fry bit the crap out of my lip. And I'm thinking this guy must think I. The worst owner w a birb who hates me and eats the flesh of people for snacks.

But we agreed it's April and hormones are wacky. Slim fit in fine. And she really likes me. She is also a fiend for screens. We skyped my dad, "pop pop" for an hour plus and she loved it and made the cutest noises. Meanwhile, Bitey Fry sat on the play gym behind my office chair just chilling out.

I think things will be ok.

Here's a pic of the first time I accidentally held them at the same time. Is this happiness or fear? You decide...

Ps. This is all Kenshin's fault. Because of the sheer cuteness of Alexis making me miss my bird going on 2 years ago and his "yaaaas get a bird, beez. Good idea!"

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 27, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Eejit posted:

I would heartily disagree. I would attribute any perceived difference to it just being easier to read a large bird's body language for the average person. Also play bite vs real bite is a big difference. Teeka does not bite unless he means it, but he is ready to do it if his boundaries are not respected.

I worded my post pretty badly, I meant to say you really really notice it in dogs, birds do it a bit, and cats not very much but still a little if you compare a tiny cat to a larger one.

All of the little dogs I've met are yappy and bitey and won't growl or give you a warning (apart from the lapdogs that just sit and don't do anything), whereas the dogs I've grown up with (Akitas) will let you know very clearly they are going to get mad if you don't stop. If not verbally, they'll go very tense and it's very obvious they aren't happy. The cats are similar, the smaller cat Dash will just jump on and bite/scratch anything, whereas the bigger cat Jones will do that low rumbling meow that cats universally do when they are pissed, and then scratch the poo poo out of whatevers annoying him (usually Dash).

I just think flight or fright is way stronger in smaller animals because they are small, whereas bigger things feel more in control and don't go to the extremes so easily if they get agitated for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Shirec posted:

This is their store mascot, he has a huge open pen to roam around.

Welcome to MY store. Feel free to look around and I'll be here watching you if you need any assistance.