Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtechs posted:

All this does is make me purchase games elsewhere rather than on steam.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

We all are, but in accordance with the rules 75% of the shitposting has to be at valve/bethsoft.

loving bethesda stealing my shitposting profits

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
It should be pretty obvious to anyone that the backlash actually is a big deal to Valve given that, despite being notoriously secretive, their CEO posted an AMA on reddit in response to the debacle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In all seriousness I don't think it's doing anything to improve mods, and mods are like 50% of the reason to buy a bethsoft game, so yeah, kinda sucks, hope they drop it before fallout 4/tes6 happens.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

It's just so loving bizarre to me that this thing has a bunch of retarded freaks crawling out of the woodwork to claim that you shouldn't complain because no one cares, as if the games industry isn't an entirely hype-driven PR exercise

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

It's just so loving bizarre to me that this thing has a bunch of retarded freaks crawling out of the woodwork to claim that you shouldn't complain because no one cares, as if the games industry isn't an entirely hype-driven PR exercise

not really, any time people air grievances toward video games you get the same retards coming out shrieking about "ENTITLED GAMERS" so honestly I was expecting it

doesn't make it less retarded but you can expect it

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Lowtechs posted:

All this does is make me purchase games elsewhere rather than on steam.

Why, and how the gently caress are you going to do that?

fennesz posted:

I still like the franchise, I don't want it to die over stupid money grubbing poo poo.

I could also see TESVI getting DRM, like Sim City, to ensure all mods are paid for and not pirated :(

By "DRM" you mean some always online feature where you can play singleplayer but still interact with other players (think Dark Souls) and all that jazz that is the rage these days?

Yes, that is possible, but unrelated to this mess.

I mean either there will be paid mods or not, this will gently caress up modding not because of "DRM" but because the possible mods will be greatly limited. For example, ever heard of a big mod for Borderlands?

Bholder fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 26, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Not to interrupt the wacky paid mods chat, but somehow my Skyrim install ate all my mods. I still have SKSE in there but all my .esm files are gone. The saved games still exist. Is there any way to find out what mods I had installed from the saved game?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Not to interrupt the wacky paid mods chat, but somehow my Skyrim install ate all my mods. I still have SKSE in there but all my .esm files are gone. The saved games still exist. Is there any way to find out what mods I had installed from the saved game?

No. Use a mod manager in the future.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

you gotta buy them all

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Goodbye Mr Mochi I don't know if it is worth paying for all mods that made this possible. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fxVeAVl2I8

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

No. Use a mod manager in the future.

I did use a mod manager. :(

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Bethesda games are bad because bethesda doesn't actually make finished games or games that aren't just rehashes of the previous title with upgraded graphics.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

What were you using? Mod Organizer keeps all the mods in its own folder so you can't lose them, and while I haven't used NMM I would assume it's got a list somewhere?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

There might me some file called plugins.txt in the appdata/local folder.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's starting! ID controlled Mods, ID tagged ESP's! DRM modding!

(I have no idea why it happened. Sucks :( )

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Mod Organizer. Or Wrye Bash.

Either one will tell you which plugins you're missing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bel Monte posted:

If anything it would be more like spore.jpg in the early days where it's amazon score was in the trash. I think this was before metacritic became a major player, but I don't remember. That didn't stop a lot of people from buying it, but it was still panned and it's score only got worse once people got tired of the simplistic gameplay in a day.

Just checked, yep, still in the trash with 1.5 stars:
http://www.amazon.com/Spore-PC-Mac/dp/B000FKBCX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430068656&sr=8-1&keywords=spore+pc

Actually that low rating is mostly because of the hardware activation limits the game had, EA was one of the first game devs to do this.

It was so heavily panned that when EA started selling its titles on Steam, one of the front-and-center things mentioned on the banner was about not having the hardware activation.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Skyrim's at 88% on Steam.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Aha! Mod Organizer has the list. I couldn't find it because it was set up for New Vegas instead. Just have to redownload 5GB of mods.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Aha! Mod Organizer has the list. I couldn't find it because it was set up for New Vegas instead. Just have to redownload 5GB of mods.

Nah you probably shouldn't bother.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

You sure you lost it?

Mod Organizer doesn't keep the mods in the Skyrim/Data folder

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bholder posted:

You sure you lost it?

Mod Organizer doesn't keep the mods in the Skyrim/Data folder

Mod Organizer says I am missing a few mods that are needed for my saved game, so I have no idea what happened. I never deleted any.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah your mods are probably in in the Mod Organizer\mods folder unless you somehow manually moved them to your Skyrim install.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shukaro posted:

Nah you probably shouldn't bother.

what if valve makes them all a million dollars

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

anatomi posted:

Skyrim's at 88% on Steam.

Hahaha wow, that's dropping a lot more than I thought.

Almost tempted to start running a pool on how low it will go.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

OwlFancier posted:

Hahaha wow, that's dropping a lot more than I thought.

Almost tempted to start running a pool on how low it will go.

Well as we learned from New Vegas, 84% means its a garbage game no one likes and no one should be paid for making, so I'm hoping for 83

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Well as we learned from New Vegas, 84% means its a garbage game no one likes and no one should be paid for making, so I'm hoping for 83

I want this to happen just for the irony alone.
I don't know what it's called when someone wants ironic things to happen. But this is me right now.

I'm pretty sure the whole paid mod thing will be sorted out in the future, but for now I'm just here with my popcorn watching this train wreck become a fifty car pile up. :munch:

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

:smug:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

OwlFancier posted:

In all seriousness I don't think it's doing anything to improve mods, and mods are like 50% of the reason to buy a bethsoft game, so yeah, kinda sucks, hope they drop it before fallout 4/tes6 happens.

It has nothing to do with improving mods. The entire issue has to do with the fact that people don't wan't to pay artists real money for what they do and if you're an artist who wants to be paid a reasonable wage for what you do people tar you as being a "sell out" or talk about how pure/real art is only done by cool people who take joy in doing something just for the sake of doing it and why can't you just be like them? Nerds on the internet are entitled assholes when it comes to art that they've decided should be free. It's why they bitch at people who do LP's (IE people who provide hours of free entertainment) having small ads or donation requests/Patreons, it's why they constantly bitch at Giant Bomb for putting their totally inconsequential and erroneous podcasts about poo poo like wrestling behind a paywall, It's why people freak out when Webcomics try and monetize through any means (see: that boardgame about cats, the Homestuck videogame) and it's why people wan't modders for games to deliver content on-par with retail releases that are updated frequently and have no bugs despite having to do this work in addition to working a normal job (Skyrim and Minecraft are the worst offenders here).

I get mad about this poo poo (but to be fair a lot of actual "traditional" artist goons get mad about it in CC too) because one of my primary sources of income is painting little man barbie figures for Warhammer/D&D players and I get really tired of having people expect me to paint fifty figures for them for less than hundreds of dollars because painting is a thing that I find fun and god forbid I make anywhere close to minimum wage painting your tiny figurines you already spend hundreds of dollars on.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It has nothing to do with improving mods. The entire issue has to do with the fact that people don't wan't to pay artists real money for what they do and if you're an artist who wants to be paid a reasonable wage for what you do people tar you as being a "sell out" or talk about how pure/real art is only done by cool people who take joy in doing something just for the sake of doing it and why can't you just be like them? Nerds on the internet are entitled assholes when it comes to art that they've decided should be free. It's why they bitch at people who do LP's (IE people who provide hours of free entertainment) having small ads or donation requests/Patreons, it's why they constantly bitch at Giant Bomb for putting their totally inconsequential and erroneous podcasts about poo poo like wrestling behind a paywall, It's why people freak out when Webcomics try and monetize through any means (see: that boardgame about cats, the Homestuck videogame) and it's why people wan't modders for games to deliver content on-par with retail releases that are updated frequently and have no bugs despite having to do this work in addition to working a normal job (Skyrim and Minecraft are the worst offenders here).

I get mad about this poo poo (but to be fair a lot of actual "traditional" artist goons get mad about it in CC too) because one of my primary sources of income is painting little man barbie figures for Warhammer/D&D players and I get really tired of having people expect me to paint fifty figures for them for less than hundreds of dollars because painting is a thing that I find fun and god forbid I make anywhere close to minimum wage painting your tiny figurines you already spend hundreds of dollars on.

Uh but you see you're doing this for ~exposure~ so I demand that you do hundreds of hours of CG work for free for my enjoyment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trying to monetize your stuff isn't inherently bad, but it is practically very counterproductive to the development of good content. When people aren't thinking about money, or at least not so much that they try to sell their work, they do things like release work under open source, or even in a less extreme case, simply make content and let other people use it to make derivatives, or let it be included in other works.

That is what is responsible for some of the best compiled works out there. Very rarely is a good end result achieved by a single person or coherent team, compared to all the possible combinations of smaller mods, or even compilation mods which accept work from many people, or which are derived from other works.

I say that if you're modding for profit, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. I say that because modding for profit will not make you much money, and it will also not result in a better result for the end users. It isn't monetarily worth the effort you put into it, and it isn't going to produce good content.

I've done modding, and everything I release is free, as far as I'm concerned, for anyone to do anything they want with. Partly this is a philosophical belief that the value of what I release freely and what may stem from that, is far greater than the value of any money I could make from it, and partly it is because trying to close access to it would simply be wasteful. I put a lot of work into what I make, why would I want to see that end up forgotten and unused because I tried to make beer money off of it? Far better for it to be useful to someone somewhere as source material or as part of a bigger, better work.

If I was inclined to make money off it, I'd just put a tip jar somewhere with the release. If people wanted to throw money at me, that's very kind of them, but I don't mod for money, I mod because I want to make something and because I like the idea that I can create a little value with my time. I don't think there is a moral prohibition against making money of your work, but certainly I would never make enough to be happy doing it.

When I say modding for money is modding for the wrong reason, I'm saying that because it simply is not going to make you, or anyone else, happy in the end. It just doesn't work out that way.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The entire issue has to do with the fact that people don't wan't to pay artists real money for what they do and if you're an artist who wants to be paid a reasonable wage for what you do people tar you as being a "sell out" or talk about how pure/real art is only done by cool people who take joy in doing something just for the sake of doing it and why can't you just be like them?

Framing complex arguments/debates in simple terms like this makes you exactly as bad as the people you are bitching about hth

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Do you give 75% to games workshop or whatever?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

There are some assholes out there who take issue with modmakers receiving compensation for their work, but that's not the issue in my eyes. For one thing, if Valve and Bethesda gave a poo poo about modmakers being compensated for their work, they'd be paying out more than 25% to the people who did all the work. More importantly, unlike painting figures, where what you see is what you get, mods being sold as DLC come with an implicit guarantee that they're always going to work, or if any problems do occur they'll be fixed quickly. The modding scene as it existed before paid mods was tolerant of bugs and mods not playing nice with each other because that's just to be expected of an amateur experimental work. The vast majority of modders right now are not ready for the responsibility of providing customer service, but that hasn't stopped several from releasing janky-rear end mods that don't work quite right on the workshop for money. Even worse, Valve has offloaded all responsibility for customer support and legal liability to the modders. So they get 100% of the liability and 25% of the profit. Another thing this is doing is it's almost certainly going to change the type of mods that get made in the future, even free ones. Modmakers are going to be less likely to sign off on collaborative projects and other modders using their work in their own mods. There's absolutely nothing stopping someone from using components of free mods in paid mods because Valve doesn't care about protecting the work of people who don't choose to monetize their mods.

A lot of these issues could be fixed if the Steam Workshop changed its terms to be more favorable to modders, give them a bigger cut of the profits, and adopt more quality control. But that seems unlikely to happen.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Yeah man, deleting the line that makes a zombie moan is p. high art. I hope you are all ready to give me fifty bucks to remove zombie moaning, I had to delete three pieces dialogue here.

I'm basically picasso. :v:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

a cow posted:

Do you give 75% to games workshop or whatever?

Wasn't there some court case in the 90s over people selling Doom mods? And it ended with the court saying you aren't allowed to do that?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I hope you all will be attending my gallery tomorrow. We'll be displaying such famous works of art as:

"Vault 11 Turret No Longer on House Faction"
"Metal Helmet Now Counts as 'Metal Object' for blacksmithing"
"Destruction Magic now does 10% more damage"

and, perhaps the most elegant

"Shut Up Mirmulnir"

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
how dare these entitled gamers, they should just shut up and bow their heads and take it.

also i think my customers are scumbags for wanting things for less money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if the paint job sucks do you give out refunds in GW store credit?

• Locked thread