Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zoe posted:

Someone will eventually unearth a locked thread from three months ago documenting our horrified reactions to the opening of Book 3 and our confusion and barely disguised relief when Kris abruptly removed it from the site without a word of explanation.

If I ran a forum for a comic/serial story I would do this.

I'd deliberately delay a promised update.

I'd fake the posts by the usual posters.

Then once people started complaining that the update is taking too long I'd jump in the thread and rant that people are too demanding since we "just finished the last section, it's only been done for a few days", then post the closed thread and alter the dates in the current one to just be from the last few days or so.

The thread would be full of disjointed crops from the comic, or quotes of dialogue that seem important to give people a taste of what's going on.

Then I'd mail one person a finished book of the update with a note saying something like "Sorry it's late, but since you were the only one who bought a copy I wanted to make it special". And just let them be the only one with full knowledge of the update unless they wanted to share.

nimby posted:

The game of oubliette is running right now, we just keep forgetting having ever read it.

Still want rules to this game.

Crain fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm hankerin' for a big tall glass of room temperature cocoa, with a plain Bar-B-Que, and a side of mayonnaise salad.

..Or maybe I should just get a hot Dr. Pepper, with the two pancake and Spaniard's omelet? Oh wait, no, I can't. It's 5:45am.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

neogeo0823 posted:

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm hankerin' for a big tall glass of room temperature cocoa, with a plain Bar-B-Que, and a side of mayonnaise salad.

..Or maybe I should just get a hot Dr. Pepper, with the two pancake and Spaniard's omelet? Oh wait, no, I can't. It's 5:45am.

Naw, go for the Coled Slaw with a Room-Temperature Cocoa. You think it's not gonna be enough to fill you up when you finish it, but then you realize it's 4 days later and you haven't been hungry since.

Scrode
Mar 6, 2002

It's about damn time...
Guys let's just agree that no one is getting the Grill Scrapings sandwich...

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Scrode posted:

Guys let's just agree that no one is getting the Grill Scrapings sandwich...

I don't know, I'd go 50/50 on a Grill Scrapings and a Mayo salad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SKYMEAT is clearly the superior choice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Cubby's Diner Breakfast is clearly where it's at.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So how long till someone actually makes these items in an attempt at internet attention?

EDIT: Also "Grill Scrapings" makes me think of "The Bits" from Steven Universe.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

McSpanky posted:

SKYMEAT is clearly the superior choice.

Pigeon and seagull make for some pretty tasty meat actually

At least I hope that's what it is :stonklol:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarklyDreaming posted:

Pigeon and seagull make for some pretty tasty meat actually

At least I hope that's what it is :stonklol:

beyond-the-skymeat

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Skymeat is the slabs of meat that fall from the sky in the morning, obviously. It sells well, so they don't question it.

EDIT: dang, I forgot the menu clarified "assorted poultry". What a shame.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there are breeds of poultry unknown to man

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Tollymain posted:

there are breeds of poultry unknown to man

Also poultry is a pretty...broad term, and very adaptable.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Giant Albino Penguin, freshly sourced from the arctic

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The Spaniard's Omelet sounds legitimately delicious.

Can someone who knows inflation rates and remembers the time period give me a ballpark on how much some of these things would cost in 2015 dollars? The Cubby's Diner Breakfast sounds like one of those loving extravagant "if you can eat it all in one hour, it's free" things, but I dunno if I've got the right idea on the price.

Edit Is "Breakfast: Served before 5 AM or after 6 AM" a reference to anything specific that's happened, or just one of those little uncanny details that Kris is so good at?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Broodhollow is set sometime in the 1930s, which was the height of the depression. According to the CPI Inflation Calculator, $1 in 1930 had the same purchasing power as $13.99 in 2015, which means that the Cubby's Diner Breakfast runs $47.58. I think the prices here are not all that carefully researched.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Poison Mushroom posted:

Edit Is "Breakfast: Served before 5 AM or after 6 AM" a reference to anything specific that's happened, or just one of those little uncanny details that Kris is so good at?

Could be they just need an hour each day to clean the ovens or whatever.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Broodhollow is set sometime in the 1930s, which was the height of the depression. According to the CPI Inflation Calculator, $1 in 1930 had the same purchasing power as $13.99 in 2015, which means that the Cubby's Diner Breakfast runs $47.58. I think the prices here are not all that carefully researched.

I mean, all the other breakfasts are less than a dollar, making them within reason. The "Cubby's Diner Breakfast" is supposed to be silly.

Then again, the "cheeseburger" costs less than a third of what a "cub-cub" hamburger does, so I think these prices are basically silly nonsense all around, like the food itself.

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009
I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be drinking that well water.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Glenn Zimmerman posted:

I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be drinking that well water.

you just got to fish the angleworm babies out first

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

New announcement. Nothing's definite but the new book should be starting soon.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

We're back.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh. Wow.

I had forgotten this comic existed tbh.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Zoe posted:

Oh. Wow.

I had forgotten this comic existed tbh.

Well, it has been on hiatus since, what, November or something? It looks like the town's grown a lot since we last saw it. Or am I forgetting something?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Wait I was on my phone before so didn't click the link.

It just goes to the book 2 beginning I guess? drat you Mimir that was a cruel tease. :mad:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zoe posted:

Wait I was on my phone before so didn't click the link.

It just goes to the book 2 beginning I guess? drat you Mimir that was a cruel tease. :mad:

Well, this was posted today, at least according to the upload date, which is weird because I remember seeing this exact page before.

...Oh God.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Well, this was posted today, at least according to the upload date, which is weird because I remember seeing this exact page before.

...Oh God.

Yeah, that's new, according to my RSS, and the link I should've posted.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

...Oh God.
Well it is pretty similar to the other two book title pages.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Kgummy posted:

Well it is pretty similar to the other two book title pages.

No, I've seen it before, with that exact symbol.

I guess it might have been shown in this update?

The link 404s, and WayBackMachine doesn't have anything on it, but it was posted shortly after the end of book two.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 26, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If I were writing this comic, I'd be going through and making little changes to previous pages all the time.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
We're back.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And we open outside the... City hall? I think that's supposed to be City hall

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

And we open outside the... City hall? I think that's supposed to be City hall

Looks like it says "Broodhollow Building & [blank]" to me.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

McSpanky posted:

Looks like it says "Broodhollow Building & [blank]" to me.

Knowing the town, it may actually say [blank] there.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Building & Loan.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

nimby posted:

Knowing the town, it may actually say [blank] there.

Broodhollow Building & Broodhollow Building & Broodhollow Building & and only when the sign maker runs out of space does he realize he's been restarting and forgetting the job for weeks now.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

No, I've seen it before, with that exact symbol.

I guess it might have been shown in this update?

The link 404s, and WayBackMachine doesn't have anything on it, but it was posted shortly after the end of book two.

Before the diner menu, the most current page was the book cover with "coming 2015", yeah.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh man. I'd forgotten that the previous chapter ended in the middle of an incredibly tense moment, but going back to reacquaint myself has that all fresh in my memory again. And then we skip forward a few months! That's not concerning at all.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh man. I'd forgotten that the previous chapter ended in the middle of an incredibly tense moment, but going back to reacquaint myself has that all fresh in my memory again. And then we skip forward a few months! That's not concerning at all.

I reread the entire comic two days ago and I somehow missed that, thanks for pointing it out.

Guess we have another memory loss at hand, it would explain the chapter title, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Oh hey it's the Ladies' Auxiliary club nothing creepy goin' on there.

• Locked thread