Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

For your enjoyment, this four and a half minute video of the Night Wolves on their way to Berlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF5IjaE5sjY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

For your enjoyment, this four and a half minute video of the Night Wolves on their way to Berlin.

Dixie flag @ 1:17 spotted

Horns of Hattin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 26, 2015

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Maybe they confused it with a Novorussian flag?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That's a poo poo-load of Hummer H2s. Or GAZ wannabe wannabe Hummers.

Also, the big Mad Max truck at 0:50.

I'm not sure I can really take these guys seriously. For an "outlaw motorcycle club", they sure seem pretty candy-rear end.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

On the 27th German TV is showing a major documentary on MH17, Die Story im Ersten: Todesflug MH17, a preview of the doc can be found here. I've been helping the film makers with it, and it looks like they've been very thorough with their investigation, and might have dug up some new stuff.

It looks like there's a 7 minute preview of the report here, all in German though.

They do show one witness who heard the missile launch, saying it came from Stepanivka, which is southeast of Snizhne, and if he's in Snizhne that would match with the other reports and the other evidence pointing to the likely launch site.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 26, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, their bikes are basically tracksuits. How am I meant to take a guy seriously as a scary leather-daddy is he's riding some neon green shitstick?

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
So how many of the bikes are actually Russian?

Also, if you want find Paris in Poland, go to Gdansk. A wonder in the dark.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Young Freud posted:

That's a poo poo-load of Hummer H2s. Or GAZ wannabe wannabe Hummers.

Also, the big Mad Max truck at 0:50.

I'm not sure I can really take these guys seriously. For an "outlaw motorcycle club", they sure seem pretty candy-rear end.

Russia stronk, you are candy homonazi on CIA homosexual cycle putin saves world from you.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

It's like someone took all the American stuff in this video and made it Russian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwR3e2iq9EI

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Karmalis posted:

Also, if you want find Paris in Poland, go to Gdansk. A wonder in the dark.
Gdansk Danzig is Strasbourg Straßburg.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Well, at least the Old Town is really nice. :) 100x better than Warsaw.

Seriously, there are some really beautiful places in the Polish countryside as well.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Providence is the Paris of Rhode Island.

OhYeah posted:

Well, at least the Old Town is really nice. :) 100x better than Warsaw.

Seriously, there are some really beautiful places in the Polish countryside as well.

Yeah Krakow is nice but Paris is pretty singular and it is weird whenever places are the Paris of $somewhere-else.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Demonachizer posted:

Yeah Krakow is nice but Paris is pretty singular and it is weird whenever places are the Paris of $somewhere-else.
It's precisely because Paris is singular that other places become "the Paris of Somewhere-else".

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Prague is the real jewel of Eastern Europe anyway. If you go anywhere in EE go to Prague.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

Prague is the real jewel of Eastern Europe anyway. If you go anywhere in EE go to Prague.
Prague is Central Europe now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Eastern Europe is, what, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, and Russia now? It's been growing smaller since the fall of the Ottoman Empire. Germany used to be considered Eastern Europe.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The joke here is that Paris is really really terrible and I don't understand why Americans like it... haha

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Young Freud posted:

Eastern Europe is, what, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, and Russia now? It's been growing smaller since the fall of the Ottoman Empire. Germany used to be considered Eastern Europe.

*~russian sphere of influnece~*

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

It looks like there's a 7 minute preview of the report here, all in German though.

They do show one witness who heard the missile launch, saying it came from Stepanivka, which is southeast of Snizhne, and if he's in Snizhne that would match with the other reports and the other evidence pointing to the likely launch site.

Is the timing of this important, as in just before Victory Day in Russia? With the Dutch report not due out until autumn it seems like something this far in advance is just for the sake of trolling Russia.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, their bikes are basically tracksuits. How am I meant to take a guy seriously as a scary leather-daddy is he's riding some neon green shitstick?

Every time I heard a rice burner rev it's motor I laughed. Boss hog, darlin'.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 26, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Is the timing of this important, as in just before Victory Day in Russia? With the Dutch report not due out until autumn it seems like something this far in advance is just for the sake of trolling Russia.

Trolling Russia seems like a pretty good reason for doing anything. :colbert:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

This new trailer for the next Mad Max movie is looking pretty good.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If we're still eastern Europe so are the Czechs. Their multi century dalliances with the Germanic people notwithstanding, they're still Slavs. :colbert:

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Did the Night Wolves end up trying to go through Poland or were they forced to go around?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Did the Night Wolves end up trying to go through Poland or were they forced to go around?

Don't know yet, this seems to be the start of it in Russia.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Adventure Pigeon posted:

They've not gotten here yet. They still have a lot of Russia and all of Belarus to go through. They have something like 1000 km to pass through between Moscow and the Polish border and we're not talking U.S. style interstate highways here.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

If we're still eastern Europe so are the Czechs. Their multi century dalliances with the Germanic people notwithstanding, they're still Slavs. :colbert:
Prague lies west of Germany's easternmost border, while Warsaw lies east of Russia's westernmost, thus explaining why one is Central and the other Eastern. You could join Central Europe however by making Szczecin the capital.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

A Pale Horse posted:

This is funny because we say the same thing about Slovenians. :v:

*cracks whip and pulls them back into holy Balkan clay*
no escape

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

This is funny because we say the same thing about Slovenians. :v:

*cracks whip and pulls them back into holy Balkan clay*
no escape

Wanting other Slavs to be as (or preferably more) miserable as we are is one of our most prominent ethnic traits. Seriously, we do not get along. Poland's greatest historic ally is Hungary, just about the only non-Slavs we could drum up in the region.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Pale Horse posted:

So the Polish presidential election is two weeks away and I was thinking of doing an effortpost about the candidates sometime this week if anyone is interested. It wouldn't survive as its own thread since there's maybe like ten of us Poles here and I just don't think anyone else cares enough, but it might be interesting for the people in this thread. I don't want to do it if there's no interest though so what do you guys think?

I've been sort of halfway following it but my Polish has slowly eroded over the last almost-decade. I'd totally read your effortpost.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A Pale Horse posted:

Wanting other Slavs to be as (or preferably more) miserable as we are is one of our most prominent ethnic traits. Seriously, we do not get along. Poland's greatest historic ally is Hungary, just about the only non-Slavs we could drum up in the region.

For anyone in Western Europe or North America, the whole slav thing can be pretty confusing. I mean, it's some kind of ethnic distinction, right? There are slavic cultures and slavic nations and attempts at pan-slavism, and some countries in the East/Central region are very particular about how they're not slavs, or about how so-and-so are actually slavs, or how slavs are responsible for this or that thing, how this or that plot of land should be slavic... it's tough to follow.

Is it comparable to being a "germanic" people? Like the same way the English have a strong shot of germanic influence in the distant past and that's just folded into the overall culture? Which are the slav nations and cultures, and are there some clear lines between the slavic and non-slavic countries in Europe?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kazakhstan finds that the Eurasian Economic Union to be unfairly one-sided toward Russia.

Imagine everyone's surprise.

Supposedly, this is putting a major crimp on Nursultan Nazarbayev re-lection campaign, which he advanced a year earlier. One can pretty much wonder that if Nazabayev is removed from office (a thin possibility, since he's been in office since 1991, but still a possibility), we might see a return of the Little Green Men, this time in Kazakhstan.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dolash posted:

For anyone in Western Europe or North America, the whole slav thing can be pretty confusing. I mean, it's some kind of ethnic distinction, right? There are slavic cultures and slavic nations and attempts at pan-slavism, and some countries in the East/Central region are very particular about how they're not slavs, or about how so-and-so are actually slavs, or how slavs are responsible for this or that thing, how this or that plot of land should be slavic... it's tough to follow.

Is it comparable to being a "germanic" people? Like the same way the English have a strong shot of germanic influence in the distant past and that's just folded into the overall culture? Which are the slav nations and cultures, and are there some clear lines between the slavic and non-slavic countries in Europe?

Slavs speak Slavic languages nearly all the time. And these are the Slavic languages:

As you can see Austria-Hungary-Romania/Moldova form a distinct buffer zone between northern Slavs and southern Slavs (Yugoslavia literally meant "southern slavs"). Austria is of course Germanic, Hungary is ethnically closest to Finns and Estonian, and Romania/Moldova are Romance and likely descendants of Latinized natives of the general area deriving back to the Roman Empire.

The results of World War I and II and Cold War partitioning meant that most Slavic groups were shuffled around pretty handily into overwhelmingly slav-dominated countries of their own, including situations like how Kaliningrad oblast of Russia deported all the Germans that were there and lots of the Poles, and made it heavily Russian.

Also some people think the current Greeks have a bunch of Slav ancestry even though they took on the Greek language, but that's heavily controversial as of yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say the Czechs graduated to Central Europeans at least - haven't seen a single tracksuit out in the wild in ages.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

mobby_6kl posted:

I'd say the Czechs graduated to Central Europeans at least - haven't seen a single tracksuit out in the wild in ages.

The germans would probably agree, they did after all consider them fit for slave labour instead of extermination.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pilsudski had a mustache for the ages, didn't he?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Per exit polls, Nazarbayev won with 97.5%.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Per exit polls, Nazarbayev won with 97.5%.

lol how do they report this with a straight face. Any statistical majority vote in a functioning democracy never goes beyond 60-70% and that's incredibly optimistic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

awesome-express posted:

lol how do they report this with a straight face. Any statistical majority vote in a functioning democracy never goes beyond 60-70% and that's incredibly optimistic.

Presumably, because they don't want to be tortured to death after "disappearing".

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
What's really disappointing to me is that neither Belarus nor Kazakhstan ended up being ruled by a former Soviet admiral, kinda analogous to what happened in Hungary back in the day. Feels like history dropped the ball there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

awesome-express posted:

a functioning democracy

Kazakhstan nor Belarus have this. Lukashenko will win his 5th term this year the same way.

• Locked thread