Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Applebees posted:

There aren't any cards that reduce a creature's health in Hearthstone, so I don't know how it would work.

Silencing generally undoes any health boosts, and generally what it'll do is revert it back to a state their health would've normally been unless it would kill the creature.

Silencing an Ancient of War while Rooted (5/5, gains +5 HP and Taunt if you choose Rooted as the played ability) after it's taken 5 damage just reverts its health to 5.

It's kind of weird but I guess it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Gensuki posted:

Actually in HS it would be better off? it would go from an 8/8 with 7 damage (displays as 8/1) to a 1/1 with no damage

It doesn't matter it's indestructible. If it wasn't and it was a vanilla 8/8 it would be an 8/8 with 7 damage, then a 1/1 with 7 damage and it would be dead.

But it's Avacyn and she doesn't loving die.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I had to explain indestructible planeswalkers to someone who found every possible way to misunderstand it.

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

Whenever I play EDH there usually ends up being an argument about how indestructibility works. It seems to elude many of my fellow casuals.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So if esper dragons wins the open, does it get close to 40$ on paper?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
That last quarterfinals match was hilarious. Jeskai Tokens player needed a Wild Slash to win, doesn't draw it, loses, reveals his top card, it's a Wild Slash, goes ultra salt.

Will probably kill himself when someone points out to him later he missed a loot trigger earlier in the turn.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

So if esper dragons wins the open, does it get close to 40$ on paper?

Eh, you should still sell it now. I've already gotten rid of several at $28-30 on eBay/IRL. They might go up $5 more. Ask yourself if you really think this critter's gonna break $40. You will easily be able to get them during the summer slump like always.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Eh, you should still sell it now. I've already gotten rid of several at $28-30 on eBay/IRL. They might go up $5 more. Ask yourself if you really think this critter's gonna break $40. You will easily be able to get them during the summer slump like always.

Why exactly is there a summer slump for standard anyways? Increase in modern/legacy play now that all the hard working students are out of school?

Or is it something as obvious as "its summer and not all nerds are sheltered nerds"

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Summer means the Core Set and no one gets excited for a new Core Set.

Maybe next year there won't be a slump in the summer (or at least there won't be as big a slump).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cernunnos posted:

Summer means the Core Set and no one gets excited for a new Core Set.

Maybe next year there won't be a slump in the summer (or at least there won't be as big a slump).

This and the people who will be drafting will be drafting MM2 if/when they can. But from my experience, why play magic when we can spend money on road trips (not towards magic events) and volleyballs.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm gonna go to the tournament in Indianapolis on Saturday and get ownt. Bringing the Abzan aggro deck that did ok at Brussels. I'd like to crush some nerds, gotta make it happen. I wanna trade for sweet cards while I'm there, too.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think summer has traditionally has more non-standard GPs as well so less big standard tournaments.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The magic being played on stream right now is fantastic and the opposite of Rhino v Rhino.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

Why exactly is there a summer slump for standard anyways? Increase in modern/legacy play now that all the hard working students are out of school?

Or is it something as obvious as "its summer and not all nerds are sheltered nerds"

Traditionally because 2 core set standard is considered "whacky" and not a real format. Also college students are a large part of the competitive crowd, they all usually go back home and I suspect that affects attendance of SCG opens etc. to some extent. Also there will be a summer suplimentary product, this year MM15 in May, then June is GP modern month, so nobody is going to give 2 shits about standard in about 3 weeks.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
LSV posted his play for the "Make the Play" article:

quote:

My Play

That brings us to the play I would make: take Foul-Tongue Invocation, then play Island and pass the turn. If your opponent attacks and doesn’t pump Deathdealer, just take 5 down to 12. Keep Dissolve up to counter any post-combat creature, and if your opponent doesn’t cast anything, cast Hero’s Downfall on the Lion at end of turn. If your opponent does pump Deathdealer, cast Downfall on the Lion in combat. You probably end up taking the same from either creature, but there’s a chance that your opponent pumps Deathdealer the following turn as well, in which case you take 4 + 0 instead of the 3 + 3 the Lion would deal.

Next turn, again keep up Dissolve and be ready to cast it, or start casting removal spells if you did have an opportunity to Dissolve a play the previous turn.

I like this line of play because it makes it the least likely you fall behind on the board, even if you take a little more damage while doing so. The 4 life from the Invocation compensates for that, and I’m not too worried about getting stuck with too many tapped lands. Even if you don’t draw an untapped land to play turn-five Ojutai, you should be in a decent position. Presumably you are drawing a mix of spells and tapped lands, so unless your draw steps are literally all Temples and Backwaters, you have plenty to do.

For whatever it's worth, he noted that if you went with the Bile Blight option, you cast it on your turn 3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I learnt to play magic with those Second Age lands. Wish I still had them.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Good has triumphed over evil.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Well, I was right.

When can I start gloating?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
No handshake from Gerrard heh.

moxiemag
Sep 12, 2013

Offtopic is dead. Long live Offtopic
So I went down to my LGS to play some commander today.

2nd game of the day and I'm playing Roon of the Hidden Realm. The other players are playing Sygg, Zedruu, and Oloro. This is our second game between the 4 players. Game one went to a Sliver superfriends deck due to doubling season basically putting every planeswalker at ultimate right away. The only major play I did was bounce Reliquary Tower to the Sygg player's hand to force him to discard something like 25 cards after he Rite of Replicated his Sphinx of Uthuun for overload cost.

Game 2 gets underway and I'm targeting the Sygg player pretty heavily with counter spells blinking my Mystic Snake at instant speed to lock him down and pretty much ignoring the other 2 since they aren't doing much.

Two thirds through the game after countering him 2 turns in a row the Sygg player says to me 'You're no fun, you're not allowing me to get any fun out of my game.' Then goes into some diatribe about how I should be targeting the other two players instead of him because quote 'I haven't done anything this whole game, you're not even letting me name targets before countering' Then he brings up some plays 4-5 turns back (trying to get rid of a Consuming Aberration) that apparently I'm still basing my plays on.

So basically he tried to call me out as a griefer in front of the table and within earshot of the other players in the store. Needless to say I was pretty taken aback and sputtered out something like 'I don't know what to say, I'm not trying to ruin anyone's game here'

A couple turns go by and he just couldn't let it go brought something up again about how now the other 2 players were doing something if I hadn't targeted him so heavily he'd have answers blah blah blah. Keeps bringing up legitimate plays I had made in this game and in the previous game (bouncing his reliquary tower) to try to make it seem like I'm deliberately going after him with bad intentions.

I let him have it by saying it's insulting to tell me I'm trying to ruin his game because I'm answering his spells.

TLDR some autist at the LGS tried to call me out as a griefer for playing a loving game which i suck at.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

moxiemag posted:

So I went down to my LGS to play some commander today.

2nd game of the day and I'm playing Roon of the Hidden Realm. The other players are playing Sygg, Zedruu, and Oloro. This is our second game between the 4 players. Game one went to a Sliver superfriends deck due to doubling season basically putting every planeswalker at ultimate right away. The only major play I did was bounce Reliquary Tower to the Sygg player's hand to force him to discard something like 25 cards after he Rite of Replicated his Sphinx of Uthuun for overload cost.

Game 2 gets underway and I'm targeting the Sygg player pretty heavily with counter spells blinking my Mystic Snake at instant speed to lock him down and pretty much ignoring the other 2 since they aren't doing much.

Two thirds through the game after countering him 2 turns in a row the Sygg player says to me 'You're no fun, you're not allowing me to get any fun out of my game.' Then goes into some diatribe about how I should be targeting the other two players instead of him because quote 'I haven't done anything this whole game, you're not even letting me name targets before countering' Then he brings up some plays 4-5 turns back (trying to get rid of a Consuming Aberration) that apparently I'm still basing my plays on.

So basically he tried to call me out as a griefer in front of the table and within earshot of the other players in the store. Needless to say I was pretty taken aback and sputtered out something like 'I don't know what to say, I'm not trying to ruin anyone's game here'

A couple turns go by and he just couldn't let it go brought something up again about how now the other 2 players were doing something if I hadn't targeted him so heavily he'd have answers blah blah blah. Keeps bringing up legitimate plays I had made in this game and in the previous game (bouncing his reliquary tower) to try to make it seem like I'm deliberately going after him with bad intentions.

I let him have it by saying it's insulting to tell me I'm trying to ruin his game because I'm answering his spells.

TLDR some autist at the LGS tried to call me out as a griefer for playing a loving game which i suck at.

This story is the perfect example of why I hate Commander. At least in any other format, my opponent isn't going to accuse me of picking on him just because I won.

moxiemag
Sep 12, 2013

qbert posted:

This story is the perfect example of why I hate Commander. At least in any other format, my opponent isn't going to accuse me of picking on him just because I won.

As far as I can tell it was this specific guy having a problem with me. Some people just can't separate themselves from the game it's actually kind of sad

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Every time I get even an inkling to build a commander deck, I read a story like yours, moxie, and I just go gently caress that noise.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

moxiemag posted:

Two thirds through the game after countering him 2 turns in a row the Sygg player says to me 'You're no fun, you're not allowing me to get any fun out of my game.' Then goes into some diatribe about how I should be targeting the other two players instead of him because quote 'I haven't done anything this whole game, you're not even letting me name targets before countering'

I mean, I hope you're not countering his spells before he declares targets, because you shouldn't be doing that.

moxiemag
Sep 12, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

I mean, I hope you're not countering his spells before he declares targets, because you shouldn't be doing that.

I can understand the etiquette of it but why do i have to wait if the targets are obvious?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sotar posted:

Every time I get even an inkling to build a commander deck, I read a story like yours, moxie, and I just go gently caress that noise.

Board games are cheaper and are actually designed for 3 or more people!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

See this is why I play Norin EDH; I target and kill everyone evenly and fairly by turning off their mana bases by making them mountains and then kill them all with Impact Tremors/Purphoros triggers whilst I make a million goblins.

For the record, getting to cast insurrection on a board covered in 80+ Myr tokens is absolutely hilarious.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

qbert posted:

Echo that; it's basically the story of half the Commander games I've played. The other half being "You killed my commander when I attacked you with him last game so now I'm going to pointedly ignore everything anyone else does to make sure you lose every game we play tonight!" I guess I just don't understand what they think the point of that game is; if you want to sit around for 3 hours and draw your whole deck to pull off some stupid 30 card wombo combo, you can do that by yourself at home.

The only thing worse than playing EDH is having to listen to them try to get me to build an EDH deck when I'm at FNM. Sorry, I have negative amounts of interest in your lovely format and no amount of begging, pleading, and insulting me will convince me that "this time will be different!"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's a good format to play all your neat expensive cards like tabernacle, full-art mutavaults, promo wastelands, etc. But, you can already do that in legacy or vintage and you don't even get to play moxen in edh.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Commander seems like 20% actually playing MTG and 80% politicking and bitching.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Yawgmoth posted:

The only thing worse than playing EDH is having to listen to them try to get me to build an EDH deck when I'm at FNM. Sorry, I have negative amounts of interest in your lovely format and no amount of begging, pleading, and insulting me will convince me that "this time will be different!"

This. I recently got back into playing after leaving during Lorwyn block, and I completely missed Commander/EDH becoming a thing. I've got enough trouble rebuilding my collection, and remaking old or lost decks, let alone adding in a whole new format.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I showed up at a store I had never been to before and made the mistake of sitting near Commander guy, who went through every goddamn card of his sizeable binder talking about which EDH deck it belongs in. He would not shut up about it and there was nowhere else to sit waiting for this event to begin. At that moment my opinion of EDH went from "Not for me" to "God gently caress this format" and if there was a button I could press that would just instantly eliminate that format I would windmill slam it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sotar posted:

I showed up at a store I had never been to before and made the mistake of sitting near Commander guy, who went through every goddamn card of his sizeable binder talking about which EDH deck it belongs in. He would not shut up about it and there was nowhere else to sit waiting for this event to begin. At that moment my opinion of EDH went from "Not for me" to "God gently caress this format" and if there was a button I could press that would just instantly eliminate that format I would windmill slam it.

EDH is bad but this anecdote is kind of bad as an argument for why EDH is poo poo too

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Commander is great for doing funky stuff with cards that you can't realistically play in a format like Legacy or Vintage, though.

Commander Guy sounds like an experience to sit next to, but that doesn't sound much different from the competitive tryhards who do their damndest to convince me that Silumgar's Scorn, in fact, is a bad card and I'm a bad Magic player for thinking otherwise. :smuggo:

moxiemag
Sep 12, 2013

there's annoying people in every format tbh.

I just thought my experience today spoke to a larger problem outside of edh, namely, people taking the game too seriously and getting mad about losing

Like there's alternative games you can play like derpstone if you don't want to deal with the mental anguish of having a spell countered

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So he-hey guys how 'bout that Tiny Leaders? Eheheheehehe..

moxiemag posted:

Like there's alternative games you can play like derpstone if you don't want to deal with the mental anguish of having a spell countered

Well, ackshually..

:goonsay:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 27, 2015

moxiemag
Sep 12, 2013

Like people want you to win a certain way every time.

Random dude at LGS 'I'll only be cool if you beat me via':
A. combat damage
B. some 3 card combo that everyone knows
C. milling (but only if your commander is a mill commander)

If you counter my spells and someone else kills me though you're a BAD PERSON

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

moxiemag posted:

moxiemag
Sep 12, 2013

i don't even play hearthstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Man I wish I had the pieces for UB Control. I think the deck is so well positioned in the meta, but right now I am stuck with Abzan control.

• Locked thread